Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,654Posts
    • 70,478Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012 , Poppy born 8th November 2015
Page 74
    • twigpig
    • By twigpig 15th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    twigpig
    Hey snowscreamer, everyone is different. I didn't tell anyone we were ttc our first even at 18months of trying and never told anyone until we were 12 weeks and had been to our scan. We'd even had a scan at 8w and knew everyone was fine at 8w.

Friends have told us they were ttc and some also about the struggles they had had or were having. My sil announced to family at 5 weeks so it's all up to you. Do what's comfortable and if u do confide in someone, do let them know if they are the only one you've spoken to, so they know not to share with other mutual friends
    TTC #3..........
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 15th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Thanks for your advice cats and twigpig

So... I have some news... I caved in and tested right after I wrote that post this morning and got a TLP (I think!) I'm in shock. I'm very wary of a repeat of cats' story of her chemical pregnancy so planning on sticking around here for now and doing another test next weekend to confirm. Absolutely stunned!!
    Last edited by snowscreamer; 15-10-2016 at 5:56 PM.
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • twigpig
    • By twigpig 15th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    twigpig
    A tentative congrats snowscreamer, at 15dpo, I hope it's a sticky. Feel free to stay as long as you like . Keep well and take it easy.....
    Last edited by twigpig; 15-10-2016 at 6:11 PM.
    TTC #3..........
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 15th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,097 Thanks
    newthrift
    Congratulations snowscreamer feel free to stick around as long as you like
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • Ratison
    • By Ratison 15th Oct 16, 9:31 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Ratison
    Could be good news for you snowscreamer!

It's getting to be a tricky time for TTC and telling people I suppose. If we all get BFPs this month (fingers crossed), we'll have Christmas party season to get through which will be prior to any 12 week scans. A couple of friends know I'm trying, and I think others assume I am, but I don't want to talk about it much. It feels like tempting fate!

I'd like to go on the list please newthrift - today is CD8 and I've got some ovulation sticks ready to go. Was reading about the sperm meets egg plan which seems like a lot of DTD, but obviously I want to maximise my chances if I can. Might be something for next year if theverything next few months don't bring a BFP.
    Debt free date: 8th June 2015

Bathroom Fund: £4500
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 16th Oct 16, 2:48 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,097 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD31 newthrift - 9DPO
    CD33 LittleMissGiggle - 18DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD9 Ratison - Awaiting ov
    CD11 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov
    CD19 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD22 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD22 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD23 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD40 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD64 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD1 twigpig - Awaiting ov https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/353d56/
    CD5 ButterflyBabe - Awaiting ov

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD140 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Snowscreamer 15/10/16
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    Last edited by newthrift; 16-10-2016 at 4:46 PM.
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 16th Oct 16, 3:06 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    cats2012
    Fingers crossed snowscreamer!!!!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby due March 2017
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 16th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Thanks everyone! Still in absolute disbelief but no bleeding in sight. And I am still experiencing odd twinges in the uterus area plus I realised I have been weeing more frequently lately... got Sunday dinner with my parents to get through later. Thinking of offering to make the G&Ts before dinner and leaving the G out of mine then refusing wine at dinner on the proviso of being designated driver (I would usually have one drink if driving so going teetotal will set alarm bells ringing with my sister for sure if not my parents!)

Definitely want to do another test though next weekend before getting too excited though. Just feel like it's too good to be true...
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • twigpig
    • By twigpig 16th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    twigpig
    CD1 for me.... only managed to get to 10dpo. Will keep taking the vitamin b to help extend that and improve my chances. At least I know firmly my CD date...... lol
    TTC #3..........
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Oct 16, 6:42 AM
    • 373 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    After two days of mild nausea when eating, plus a sleepless night last night I am going to move up to the next thread. Feels a lot more real!

Best of luck everyone - advice has been invaluable and I hope to see you all soon in the next thread x
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 17th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    firebird082
    I'm using a mindfulness app (thanks to whoever it was on here suggested HeadSpace, it's ace)
    Originally posted by angel11
    De-lurking to say glad it's helping! Ironically I haven't been using it regularly at all, must go back as I still think it will be helpful...
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 17th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    Congratulations Snowscreamer

Regarding telling people, I so wish I could turn back the clock and not tell anyone about us TTC, it has ruined my whole journey and made it more stressful. People used to ask me all the time if I had 'any news' which was frustrating and now almost a year down the line, they have stopped and are probably thinking we are having problems but don't want to pry. Anytime I turn down an event or I don't drink alcohol, tongues are wagging and suspicious is raised. Nothing seems exciting and secretive about it at all now

When I did fall pregnant, I kept it to our parents, siblings and a few close friends. When I had my MMC, it was a bit of a relief not to have to tell a lot of people about it, however I do think some of the people were less/more supportive than others - which makes me know at which stage I will announce to them next time. If OH had his way, no-one would know until we knew it was definitely happening
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 17th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,097 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD32 newthrift - 10DPO
    CD34 LittleMissGiggle - 19DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD5 ButterflyBabe - Awaiting ov
    CD10 Ratison - Awaiting ov
    CD12 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov
    CD20 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD23 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD23 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD24 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD41 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD65 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD2 twigpig - Awaiting ov https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/353d56/

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD141 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Snowscreamer 15/10/16
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    Last edited by newthrift; 17-10-2016 at 8:58 PM.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Rachylou I made the mistake since my engagement of letting onto a few close friends and cousins, and my parents (but oddly not OH's), who asked that we planned to waste no time trying once we were married.

However *touch wood* if everything goes well I imagine we will be lucky enough not to get too many prying questions as no one will have expected it to happen so soon (least of all me!) I have told two of my best friends (out of a close group of 5) as I was chatting to them and was physically unable to keep it to myself; I'm just too excited. However we were thinking of keeping schtum for parents until week 8 and then tell all 4 parents at that point. We'll see if I can last that long as I am really struggling to keep it to myself! And of course I may live to regret this cause of action if anything goes wrong :/ Fingers crossed.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 17th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,097 Thanks
    newthrift
    Regarding telling people; we didn't tell anyone when we started trying and we only told parents, DH's brother & SIL and couple of very close friends after the first MC. We have since shared it with my brother & SIL, SIL and a couple more friends. I didn't want loads of people to know we were ttc incase of added pressure but it has stopped some people keep asking when will we be having one which is better. When it does happen we won't be telling anyone, even parents until after the 12wk scan.
    • A0503
    • By A0503 17th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    A0503
    Wow congrats snow! People are leaving the board quickly now as they are joining ATM! I have to ask though..what does TLP stand for? I'm trying to work out what abbreviation it is but can't haha.

I think I ovulated at some point over the weekend however only bd Friday so not holding out much hope, I feel alright about it tho as I'm taking a more relaxed view this month and it feels really good to have let go a bit, would deffo recommend it xz
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Oct 16, 1:32 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Wow congrats snow! People are leaving the board quickly now as they are joining ATM! I have to ask though..what does TLP stand for? I'm trying to work out what abbreviation it is but can't haha.

I think I ovulated at some point over the weekend however only bd Friday so not holding out much hope, I feel alright about it tho as I'm taking a more relaxed view this month and it feels really good to have let go a bit, would deffo recommend it xz
    Originally posted by A0503
    I was lurking for wayyyyyy too long. It means tiny little positive as opposed to BFP big fat positive. There were definitely two lines on the test but the control line was a lot darker than the result line... with the nausea and cramps I've been experiencing since however I'm going to take it as a BFP!
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 17th Oct 16, 1:32 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Tiny little positive.
    Congrats snow screamer.
    OH is still working away. Think we might try SMEP when he's home next month.
    • twigpig
    • By twigpig 17th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    twigpig
    Hey snowscreamer, have you tried a clear blue digi test to confirm now? Really pleased your stay has been short.
    TTC #3..........
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Hey snowscreamer, have you tried a clear blue digi test to confirm now? Really pleased your stay has been short.
    Originally posted by twigpig
    I haven't done any other test yet but am experiencing symptoms. I have another Boots cheapy left (bought a pack of 2 upon the assumption it wouldn't happen this quickly). Is it worth splashing out on a more expensive one and/or testing with the test I have left do you think?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

279Posts Today

2,542Users online

Martin's Twitter