Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,655Posts
    • 70,478Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012 , Poppy born 8th November 2015
Page 72
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 9th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    I am certainly trying my best. I am waiting for my counselling appointment and have been trying to keep myself busy and focussed on other things. Moving house has been a big distraction and certainly more enjoyable than stressful . I have joined Slimming World to manage my weight and so that’s a big focus and hopefully this will help me in my TTC journey too as I am overweight.

I did have a wobble yesterday, someone mentioned 11 weeks until Christmas and I realised that if we fell this cycle, I would be 12 weeks on Christmas Day. This terrified me as my MC started after my scan at 11+3 and I don’t want to go through that again at Christmas (I know someone on here did ). I know that would be a massive coincidence and I am probably silly for even thinking it (OH thinks I am mad) but it has bothered me. I absolutely love Christmas and so having a dark cloud over me for the first 12 weeks covering that period is going to be really really hard but I don’t want to not try this cycle. I just have to think positive so that is my plan and I guess Christmas is a big distraction if I do fall at that time. Hopefully the counselling will be soon too and will help with my anxiety and fear.
    Originally posted by Rachylou1981
    Sending hugs over your loss, I think the counselling is a really good idea and trying to stay positive. My local slimming world clashes with a trampolining group which is my only exercise, unfortunately I keep missing it from exhaustion so might as well have signed up to SW. I might try online
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 9th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    newthrift
    LottieLou and firebird congratulations to you both, wishing you happy and healthy 9months xx
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 9th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD24 newthrift - 2DPO
    CD25 snowscreamer - 9DPO
    CD27 ButterflyBabe - 11DPO
    CD26 LittleMissGiggle - 11DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD?? twigpig - Awaiting ov
    CD12 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD15 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD15 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD16 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD33 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD57 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD4 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD134 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 9th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    Congratulations Firebird, fingers crossed for a happy and healthy pregnancy

Thanks for delurking and sharing your story ThinkPink, you've made me feel a little better but I know deep down, I can't put off TTC because of the past and the dates that things may happen, there will never be a 'worse' time really as nothing else matters when you go through something so awful. Christmas is just one day after all.

I'm doing well on my SW diet and keeping busy. Note to you all though, don't go to IKEA, full of bloody pregnant people everywhere you turn (no offence to those pregnant at the moment on here - you know I love you guys )
    • A0503
    • By A0503 10th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    A0503
    Congrats firebird!!

Sorry everyone just wrote a massive moan about sil and realised it was probably quite outing. So deleted it. Basically just had baby stuff rubbed in my face excessively from sil and mil and finding it hard as I felt like I had made a real effort to show interest so feel like the sensitivity isn't being reciprocated. If I for example got a new job at the same time as someone being made redundant I wouldn't rub my new job in thier face.

Hope everyone else's is doing ok!!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 10th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    firebird082
    Does SIL know your situation A0503? If she does then it is insensitive in the extreme, and I would try and reduce contact as far as possible. If not, it still seems excessive on her part. Can you maybe get your OH to have a word (presuming they are on his side?).

Thanks everyone - feel like it ought to do another test just for confirmation (can't quite believe it) and then I'll move up to the other board. Here's hoping that lots more of you will be doing the same shortly, fx for sticky beans all round.
    • A0503
    • By A0503 10th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    A0503
    when She baby bombed us I cried and told them about how long we'd been trying and that wasn't that long ago and I was so annoyed at myself for crying and felt awful for kind of ruining her announcement I made a point of saying don't act differently around me they've kind of taken that to the extreme. When we left last night OH said he's going to ask them to reign it in a bit.

Good luck with with the next test, I am very sure it's going to be a positive one xx
    • Slinky_Selina
    • By Slinky_Selina 10th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Slinky_Selina
    Congrats firebird, I hope all goes well!

Why oh why does OV day come on the day that my partner is on an overnight shift and I am busy decorating a refurbished house? Hence a swifty on a floor covered in dust sheets, sorry for the tmi but I can now giggle at the lengths we go through! I'm not wasting any chances after another round of Clomid!
    Thing is I dont feel like I've ov'd, so I must arrange to get referred to the gynae!

I'm booking us for a private consultation though as the cost comes with getting all the tests done again which I'd have to wait quite a while for on the NHS. It goes against all my principles to use private health care but sometimes you have to compromise your principles.
    • angel11
    • By angel11 10th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    angel11
    Slinky that's so typical, my ov usually happens when we've got guests staying over or one of us is away for the weekend

A0503 that's very insensitive in my book, especially when they're aware how upset you are.

Still no sign of ov, don't think it's going to happen this month at all. I'm so disappointed, my cycle had improved so much & I was oving again, it feels like I've gone back to square one since we got the news about dh sperm issues. I'm presuming it's down to stress, I'm still sticking to the fertility diet, supplements & acupuncture. Tbh, I don't really know how to reduce my stress levels as I'm already doing all the things that usually help me unwind (healthy eating, exercise, yoga, meditation,acupuncture). I'd planned on doing a few small jobs around the house to try to take my mind off things but it would involve a trip to ikea, and after reading Rachy's post that might not be too good an idea for me atm lol.

Sorry for the woe is me post, I just feel at a real loss & I'm not sure what I should do next.
    Last edited by angel11; 10-10-2016 at 3:36 PM.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 10th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    newthrift
    CD25 newthrift - 3DPO
    CD26 snowscreamer - 10DPO
    CD28 ButterflyBabe - 12DPO
    CD27 LittleMissGiggle - 12DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD?? twigpig - Awaiting ov
    CD13 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD16 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD16 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD17 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD34 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD58 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    CD5 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov

CD135 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 10th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    newthrift
    Back from a lovely holiday, to be honest not looking forward to work tomorrow. We did lots of BD'ing so fingers crossed but who knows, I actually have no strong feel either way to what will happen this month. Fingers crossed for seeing a BFP Otherwise we are heading on to month 12....
    • Ratison
    • By Ratison 10th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Ratison
    Hello, I'd like to join please. I think I posted here around a year ago about not trying, but not actively preventing. Since then, I've had some really lengthy cycles, and also only saw my partner monthly so couldn't make a good go of it so to speak! My partner is now at home and has overcome his anxieties about (hopefully) having a baby so we're good to go - if my cycles are ok.

I had a few blood tests earlier this year and a scan on my ovaries due to my long cycles, but nothing came up. One (male) GP said that maybe one of my ovaries doesn't work, as if that's no big thing!!! My last 3 cycles have been *consults Glow* 28, 31 and 28 days. I've not done any ovulation tests because with sometimes longer cycles it seems so pointless - maybe others can say if they find them helpful as I'm not sure?

So here's to cycle day 3, and a resolve to start temping and taking vitamins. Wishing us all the best of luck.
    Debt free date: 8th June 2015

Bathroom Fund: £4500
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 11th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 1,077 Thanks
    cats2012
    Welcome Ratison - hope your stay is short!

Just de-lurking to say i had crazy long cycles (42, 38, 43 sort of length) and I actually found it meant I needed ov tests (OPKs) more. I used cheapie ones from Amazon where it's something like 50 for £4 and I just started testing around my sort of average point - which for me was about day 18. This meant sometimes I tested for like 10 days+ and other times only 3 or 4, but it meant I knew I was definitely catching ov, otherwise I could have missed it entirely. Temping does check you ovulate, but is much more of a tricky science so I did that for 3 months to check I was ovulating, then stopped as it was too temperamental.

28,31,28 is pretty good though, so fingers crossed yours are regulating out
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby due March 2017
    • twigpig
    • By twigpig 11th Oct 16, 10:06 AM
    • 962 Posts
    • 4,051 Thanks
    twigpig
    Welcome munchkin. Hope you're not here long.

Congrats on your wedding and welcome to snowscreamer. Hope your stay is short too

Newthrift, hope you had a great holiday. FF now has me at 5dpo today. Hoorah, at least I know that I ovulated and where I am now in my cycle. Timing wasn't great this month, but it won't stop me hoping, lol. My due date would be my birthday

Lottie, wishing you well. It took me 18 months for my 1st so I know how hard it can be every month that passes but also believing that it has actually happened. Wish you well

Firebird. Congrats! To a happy, healthy 9 months.

Slinky. Lol, sometimes it's not that romantic but just a matter of getting the job done. I've been there too

Welcome ratison, I have erratic cycles too, think my biggest was 80/90 days. OV sticks will help predict OV, and temping will confirm that you have ovulated. hope you're not with us long
    Last edited by twigpig; 11-10-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    TTC #3..........
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 11th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    newthrift
    CD?? twigpig - 5DPO
    CD26 newthrift - 4DPO
    CD27 snowscreamer - 11DPO
    CD29 ButterflyBabe - 13DPO
    CD28 LittleMissGiggle - 13DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD14 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD17 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD17 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD18 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD35 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD59 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    CD6 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov

CD136 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Thread Graduates
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 11th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    newthrift
    Ratison welcome, I hope your stay is short and sweet I have reasonably regular cycles but long - usually 36, longest 40 so it doesn't sound too bad I used OPKS last month which helped as I thought I was OV'ing about 2days earlier than what I was. I used clear blue digi but you can use cheapies and then back up with a more expensive one.
    If you would like adding to the daily list let me know.

Feeling alright, had plenty of sleep last night. CM seems a bit all over but then again we have been doing a lot of BD'ing so it's hard to tell TMI
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 12th Oct 16, 9:26 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 8,108 Thanks
    newthrift
    CD?? twigpig - 6DPO
    CD27 newthrift - 5DPO
    CD28 snowscreamer - 12DPO
    CD30 ButterflyBabe - 14DPO
    CD29 LittleMissGiggle - 14DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD15 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD18 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD18 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD19 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD36 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD60 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    CD7 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov

CD137 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Thread Graduates
    Firebird082 08/10/16
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 12th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    ButterflyBabe, LittleMissGiggle, how are you getting on? You must be getting close to AF due date...
    Ovia has my AF due date as this Sunday - keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't arrive and starting to be on major tenterhooks!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • ButterflyBabe
    • By ButterflyBabe 12th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    ButterflyBabe
    CD1 for me today I thought I had a good chance this month as AF was due 2 days ago, I tested last night as OH was going away with work for a few days and got a BFN (obviously AF had a surprise in store for me this morning)

Each month I tell myself not to get my hopes up but it's hard not to especially when mother natures thinks she's being funny by arriving late.

Oh well, at least I can get the wine out tonight!!
    • twigpig
    • By twigpig 12th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 4,051 Thanks
    twigpig
    Hugs butterfly......
    TTC #3..........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter