Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,657Posts
    • 70,479Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012 , Poppy born 8th November 2015
Page 71
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 7th Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    Same answer as Milliebob

I am lucky in that most announcements are on Facebook from acquaintances I don't have to face so it's easy to scroll past/ignore/hide.

We have the friends who got married in June this year (I was pregnant at the wedding but no-one knew) who will definitely be trying now as she is older than me and they have made reference to it. I am mentally preparing for it to happen soon but know I will break completely if it does, which makes me feel so selfish
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 7th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    I must admit behind closed doors I have been upset at it.
    It also doesn't help that we're asked a lot "when are you getting married?, when are you having children"?
    We're early 30's been together four years and just bought a house so we are asked it a lot and I'm still putting on the brave face and continuing with the "not yet" or "we aren't" (which was the truth for a long time)
    But it's getting harder not to get upset. Maybe I've gone about it wrong, maybe we should have told people we're trying but I really didn't want to. I didn't want any added pressure.
    Sorry, I'm rambling now.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 7th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    firebird082
    It also doesn't help that we're asked a lot "when are you getting married?, when are you having children"?
    We're early 30's been together four years and just bought a house so we are asked it a lot and I'm still putting on the brave face and continuing with the "not yet" or "we aren't" (which was the truth for a long time)
    Originally posted by Munchkin84
    We get that too - although we're closer to mid than early 30s. I'm still able to laugh it off and say "we'll see" or similar, but if anything were to go wrong I think it would probably leave me in tears at work, and which point I'd just come out with the truth. Hopefully it will never get to that.

Hugs to everyone that needs them.

I'm holding off testing until tomorrow morning (unless I give in tonight) - 1 day overdue at the moment and desperately willing AF to stay away.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 7th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,114 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD23 snowscreamer - 7DPO
    CD25 ButterflyBabe - 9DPO
    CD24 LittleMissGiggle - 9DPO
    CD28 firebird082 - 15DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD?? twigpig - Awaiting ov
    CD10 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD13 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD13 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD14 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD22 newthrift - Awaiting ov
    CD31 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD44 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov
    CD55 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD133 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 7th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,114 Thanks
    newthrift
    Just popping quick to say I usually find that if its someone I knew quite well although it hurts a bit and sometimes I have a down moment I just get on with it and anyone else I either ignore it or think humpff then move on. I find for me personally it doesn't do me any good to dwell on it and get upset, which is sometimes easier said than done.
    Holiday is doing the world of good and it's just so nice relaxing and not thinking about much
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 7th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    I must admit behind closed doors I have been upset at it.
    But it's getting harder not to get upset. Maybe I've gone about it wrong, maybe we should have told people we're trying but I really didn't want to. I didn't want any added pressure.
    Sorry, I'm rambling now.
    Originally posted by Munchkin84
    Sounds like we have identical lives Munchkin. I think not being married gives us that extra reason for no kids yet, as I just answer saying we want to be married first (we don't now but no-one has to know that). I think couples who are married seem to be constantly asked the question about babies. I don't know how they deal with it when it's been a battle for a while, must be really hard.
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 7th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    I'm using the "it took us ten years to get together, don't hold your breath" line.
    Thank you for listening, just felt a bit down earlier and it felt like everyone was pregnant all of a sudden and with the other half being the other side of the world for work so I can't speak to him much I needed someone to talk to.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 7th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Hi all, well I appear to have made it half way through my first ever 2 week wait! Luckily being 29 and only very recently married I don't seem to have some the pressures others are facing. I do feel for you; it must be horrible. Think we will be allowed at least a year before anyone starts asking questions. I do hope it's enough of a head start!

With regards testing, should I wait until my period is definitely late or test on the day I'm expecting it? The longer I can wait the better, I guess?
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 7th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    firebird082
    I would wait until you're definitely late, otherwise it's just a wasted test. As some others here have experienced, testing later reduces the risk of a positive 'chemical' pregnancy.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 7th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Good advice firebird, thanks
    Since I've been tracking on Ovia my cycles have been 31, 31, 31, 36 (was preventing at this point and got a little concerned a month before the wedding and a week before hen do!), 28. So maybe I'll see if I can hold out until either AF arrives or CD36 as that's the longest it's been.
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 7th Oct 16, 11:15 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,114 Thanks
    newthrift
    We started getting asked from the night we got married (when I was 24) and I'm sure at least once/twice per week. I've learnt to throw back with 'we'll get there when we are ready/ooo not yet I prefer when I can hand then back when they cry/I'm still chasing that flat tummy first' haha. I just find it easier to bat it back like the rest of you which is something around the truth so it's not a total lie.
    Snowscreamer as firebird says, I would wait until you are defiantly late.
    • angel11
    • By angel11 8th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    angel11
    Like others, I try to hide my real emotions when the baby bomb is dropped - smile & offer congratulations to the couple & then crumble when I'm away from prying eyes. Some affect me more than others, but the hardest I've had was sil baby bomb 2 days after we'd been told there's a very real chance we'll need ivf. Then she proceeded to ask me when we were going to have kids in front of the whole family I told her in no uncertain terms that we weren't - looking back now I was prob rather rude, but it was taking every ounce of strength I had not to break down in front of everyone, & I just wanted to shut her up & move the conversation away from babies. We've been getting the whole "when are you going to have kids" for about 10 years. We're mid-thirties now & not getting it just so much - I'm guessing most people by now just assume we're never going to.

Still no sign of ov & I'm feeling really under the weather. I think the ups & downs of the past few weeks are taking their toll on me. Really need to focus on relaxing as much as possible.

Snow def wait until you're late before testing.

New enjoy the break!

Millie how are things with you?
    Last edited by angel11; 08-10-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 8th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    cats2012
    Snow just delurking to say definitely wait if you can. I had a chemical pregnancy on my first positive test in over a year and it broke our hearts. Worked out afterwards but even so I will never test early again!! I'd also strangely recommend cheapies as well as expensive tests - expensive tests give you just yes/no whereas on cheapies you see the strength of the line. Again if, god forbid, it's chemical, it will come up faint and maybe curb the excitement. Another mistake I made!!

However of course I hope you just get a lovely strong positive :-) fingers crossed for all waiting and massive hugs to those struggling. I still feel it now at those announcements where people go "oh it just happened". Ergh. But then at my appointment last week I chatted to a colleague who had 6 years trying and 5 IVF cycles but is now expecting her miracle - put my experience into perspective a little! And also shows how much hope there is :-)
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby due March 2017
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 8th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    Rachylou- that may have been me, I had my 12 week scan on Christmas eve in 2014 to find I had had a mmc at about 10 weeks. if I'm being honest the thing that made it even harder was the fact I couldn't have surgery for about 5 days. I usually love Christmas and am the annoying person in the office wanting to decorate as early as possible and am usually so excited so the build up to last Christmas was very hard for me and we just had a quiet one, but it wouldn't put me off trying around this time again. Actually, if I'm being honest, I made the most of not being pregnant and had a great social life in December what with work meals etc and think that being relaxed really helped!! (Although I do completely understand how annoying it is when people say 'just relax and it will happen!!')

This Christmas I am back to my usual excited self as our little boy will be about 3 months old- so yes I fell pregnant around Christmas last year!!

It took us about 27 months to finally get our sticky bfp (so when he was born it was three years since we started ttc) and by last December I had resigned myself to the fact we weren't going to get one without a little bit of medical assistance (hence one of the reasons I had relaxed about ttc so was most surprised to get a bfp without any help)so I fully understand the difficult times some of you are going through but I keep my fingers crossed for all of you that you will get your bfp (and that you don't have to wait as long as we did!).

I will go back to lurking now!!x
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 8th Oct 16, 7:08 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    firebird082
    Well, I caved in and tested when I got home today, 2 days late according to ptracker, and due today according to ovia. Got a faint line, which I'm going to call a tiny little positive Along with the sore boobs, metallic mouth taste and dizzy spell the other morning I'm cautiously calling that good news. Would like to stick around here until I've got a BFP though if that's OK with you all...

Very happy at the moment!

P.s. somewhat ironically, I was asked by my tennis partner on the way home whether we wanted any children!
    • april87
    • By april87 8th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    april87
    Delurking to say Congrats firebird. My test lines were also quite faint but a few weeks down the line no AF and I tested again the other day and the line was much much darker, still struggle to believe that i actually am pregnant.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 8th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 8,114 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD24 snowscreamer - 8DPO
    CD26 ButterflyBabe - 10DPO
    CD25 LittleMissGiggle - 10DPO
    CD29 firebird082 - 16DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD?? twigpig - Awaiting ov
    CD11 athensgeorgia - Awaiting ov
    CD14 angel11 - Awaiting ov
    CD14 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD15 Milliebob - Awaiting ov
    CD23 newthrift - Awaiting ov
    CD32 kira000 - Awaiting ov
    CD45 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov
    CD56 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD134 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Penguingirl 24/09/16
    april87 22/09/16
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    • A0503
    • By A0503 9th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    A0503
    Congrats firebird!

Rachy I think those worries are normal and if also crossed my mind when I was thinking out when a 12 week scan might fall.

I am feeling much more positive than I was last week, even tho sil does keep texting me baby related stuff that only a pregnant person or someone who's had kids could answer...getting on my nerves.

Really trying to take a more relaxed approach, I think il always think about a baby but I'm just trying to not get stressed. We've had loads done in the house this weekend which has been a distraction, I also love the build up to autumn and Christmas so I'm generally happier at the moment which is good xx
    • angel11
    • By angel11 9th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    angel11
    Congratulations firebird fx for a healthy & happy 9 months
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 9th Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    Can I be put on CD4 please New. AF came in with a vengeance just after I posted. I just had some agnus castus arrive and it says not for when TTC. After much checking online it looks like it should be ok up to ov, so I will take up to CD14 given I don't actually know when ov is! Still not booked the GP! I'm hoping they give me clomid and I have some success on that.

Sorry to hear everyone has to keep up with pregnancy announcements. Most of my friends aren't in that phase of life thankfully.

Hope everyone is doing ok

PS Congrats firebird!

Gem of the week from OH: so and so at work's sister had IVF then went on to have another one naturally soon after.
    Me: So you're saying it'll be fine if we have to go down the IVF route because although we'll have all the stress of that. we'll then we'll have two, although we'll be broke from the IVF and don't have space or money for two alongside step-daughter?
    OH: Hmm well now you say it like that it doesn't sound so positive.
    Bless
    Last edited by easilydistracted; 09-10-2016 at 2:39 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

445Posts Today

3,270Users online

Martin's Twitter