Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,633Posts
    • 70,473Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012 , Poppy born 8th November 2015
Page 66
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 21st Sep 16, 9:55 AM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 7,770 Thanks
    newthrift
    Hoping AF fully goes today, had just spotting last couple of days. Slightly longer than prev times but thinking waaay back to last year I would deem it was actually more 'flow' then couple days spotting and I would normally be 5/6days TMI sorry

I've noticed that from how relaxed I was last cycle I have become very anxious the past few days. Think I need to take myself a short walk or something daily to try and help me relax. I'm getting worked up over anything specific just general life. Hmmm...maybe i'm more ready for a holiday than I thought.
    Hope everyone is doing ok x
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 21st Sep 16, 10:27 AM
    • 895 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Sorry to hear that angel, but hopefully the sooner you get on the list, the sooner the time will come. I know lots of people who have done really well with IVF.

Hope you find a way to relax newthrift, a holiday sounds lovely. I really like mindfulness, but it can be hard to try, the headspace app is a good place to start. I'm on leave this week and feel so much better for it. I'm reading a book for the first time in months! OH and I are enjoying the time together too.
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 21st Sep 16, 11:06 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    Sorry it's not the best news Angel but hopefully your appointments may come around quicker. At least there's a 'diagnosis' and things can be done. I've also heard so many positive IVF stories too.

Could you possibly go private? Or I read a story in one of the weekly magazine's recently that an IVF clinic does a yearly prize draw for free treatment.
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 21st Sep 16, 1:11 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    Not checked in for a while so sorry if I've missed things

Sorry to hear about the findings at the FC Angel and I hope your tests are back soon so you can be sorted quickly, whether that is the IVF route or not. I don't particularly know how I'd feel about any problem being found but I know from other people that they find it worse when a problem isn't found as it makes no sense why they cannot get pregnant. Hope you are feeling okay.

As for me, I think I ov'd on Saturday. I had run out of the tests I use and the others I had were not very good. We also had a crazy weekend with guests so testing/BDing was not easy but we managed. Unfortunately couldn't do the SMEP plan due to oving later than usual either but we did the 3 days in a row after ov so that's good enough for me.

I think I have a UTI/cystitis . Need to stock up on some cranberry juice. Feeling a bit sorry for myself.
    • angel11
    • By angel11 21st Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    angel11
    Thanks for all your lovely comments. I still feel pretty gutted today. If I've to wait 1 year then I'll be 35.5 before treatment even starts, and we only get 1 funded cycle. They are recommending icsi, which is a specific type of ivf used when there are male fertility issues - in our area 1 cycle costs £5-5.5k We do have some savings, but that was to go towards our house (we have a little bit of work we want to do & we'll eventually have to move to a bigger house). The more I think about it, the more I'm stressing about everything.

Part of why I'm so upset is hubby's GP had his results in a few months ago but more or less said that everyone was fine. If we'd at least known back then we could've prepared ourselves for the appt a bit better, & been able to discuss any queries we had. As it was, we were in complete shock & didn't ask anything at all. So I feel now like I've got more questions than answers.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel like I need to get some of this stuff off my chest. I chatted to 2 of my closest friends last night, and while they were great, they don't seem to get it like you lovely ladies do.

New I find that yoga really helps me de-stress - there's a realty good YouTube channel I can recommend if you want to try some at home.
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 21st Sep 16, 2:14 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    I think I have a UTI/cystitis . Need to stock up on some cranberry juice. Feeling a bit sorry for myself.
    Originally posted by Rachylou1981
    There is blood when I wipe, does anyone know if this is going to have implications for the implantation process?

(Google is not helping)
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 21st Sep 16, 7:19 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 7,770 Thanks
    newthrift
    Rachy I don't think it will have any implications as im sure lots of women experience uti's in early pregnancy and stuff so don't worry xx
    • april87
    • By april87 21st Sep 16, 7:42 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    april87
    Still no sign of AF and no PMT symptoms whatsoever. Did a test today and it was a BFN, managed to convince myself that maybe I had ovulated just a few days later than I thought, but nope. Hoping AF shows soon, as I feel like I'm kind of stuck in limbo till it does.
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 21st Sep 16, 9:24 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    Thanks for all your lovely comments. I still feel pretty gutted today. If I've to wait 1 year then I'll be 35.5 before treatment even starts, and we only get 1 funded cycle. They are recommending icsi, which is a specific type of ivf used when there are male fertility issues - in our area 1 cycle costs £5-5.5k We do have some savings, but that was to go towards our house (we have a little bit of work we want to do & we'll eventually have to move to a bigger house). The more I think about it, the more I'm stressing about everything.
    Originally posted by angel11
    Angel Have you had a look at all your options locally cost wise for IVF? I have had a bit of a look and there seems to be a big variance in price and drug cost. I'm 34 and I am seriously thinking of funding it if nothing happens by January because of the different success rates. In my area only one cycle is funded but they do not count any private funding against you so you still get one NHS attempt even if you paid for one already. It wouldn't really leave me with any money but I feel like getting the house sorted is a lower long term priority. I know its different for different people but worth checking out criteria and costs.

Commiseration to everyone not having a good time and fingers crossed for everyone else!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 22nd Sep 16, 11:34 AM
    • 895 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    penguingirl
    CD37 for me. Feeling very impatient, but we've decided to wait until Sunday morning to test due to my cycles being irregular post-implant. Have really mixed feelings as trying not to get my hopes up. OH seems much more laid back and I think he quite likes the mystery of not knowing. Also googling tests doesn't help as you mainly get bad reviews for every brand!

Rachy hope you feel better and the cranberry juice does the job!
    • midget_1907
    • By midget_1907 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    midget_1907
    angel I'm so sorry. My Sil had icsi with IVF as it is meant to increase chances. But I think the whole thought of IVF is scary in its own right especially with the waiting lists. Hubby and I have looked into iui as much cheaper (it's meant to wash and leave only good sperm - would that help you?)

penguin I think I would have caved and tested by now! Good luck for when you do test!

Hope everyone else is OK.
    • angel11
    • By angel11 22nd Sep 16, 12:25 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    angel11
    Midget & Easily tbh I haven't really looked into it all properly yet, I think I'm still getting my head around the results. I would def prefer iui, it's much less invasive & way cheaper but I'm not sure if it would work for us. Our consultant only recommended icsi, but maybe it's because iui isn't available on NHS anymore???

We're heading to London today to spend some time with hubby's family, so we're going to try to put it to the back of our minds for the minute. When we come back next week, hubby is going to contact his GP to chat about results & get levels. Once we know just how high/low the antibody level is, then we can start to do a bit more research. My initial research suggests that chances of conceiving naturally are reduced, but I'm not sure by how much until we get know the levels of the antibodies, and hopefully we might have a better idea of treatment options.

I hope everyone is doing ok, I have been reading your posts but I'm afraid most of it hasnt been going in, so fx, baby dust & hugs where appropriate. I really do appreciate you all, being able to come on here & chat has really helped me, especially over the last few days x
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 22nd Sep 16, 6:21 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    Bless you Angel, it's obviously a lot to take in for you both and you are doing the right thing by taking some time out and then doing your research following more detailed information. Hope you manage to have some good chill time, be kind to yourselves and treat yourselves if you can

I have to drop a water sample into GP tomorrow, the blood has stopped but in a bit more pain and feel exhausted. I received the paperwork for my counselling appointment in the post today too. It's an 8 week wait but I am fine with that, just knowing that I am doing something about my grief/frustration/anxiety helps
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 22nd Sep 16, 8:31 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 7,770 Thanks
    newthrift
    Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD24 angel11 - 11DPO?
    CD30 Milliebob - 15DPO
    CD44 athensgeorgia - 8DPO
    "If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD8 newthrift - Awaiting ov
    CD11 ButterflyBabe -Awaiting ov
    CD14 firebird082 - Awaiting ov
    CD27 Li5a - Awaiting ov
    CD30 easilydistracted - Awaiting ov
    CD31 April87 - Awaiting ov
    CD42 Slinky_Selina - Awaiting ov
    CD68 midget_1907 - Awaiting ov
    CD119 freshstart11 - Awaiting ov
    "Wine and Chocolate" zone

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    CD77 LottieLou -

Those with * sometimes uses conceive plus/preseed.
    The names in blue has a link to their Fertility Friend chart.
    When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    Keekee BFP 21/08/16
    Clarabell1984 BFP 21/7/16
    Cats2012 BFP 9/7/16
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16

VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16
    • april87
    • By april87 23rd Sep 16, 9:07 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    april87
    Hi guys so I got my BFP yesterday morning. Fx ladies that you'll get one too
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 23rd Sep 16, 9:08 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    firebird082
    1DPO for me today - feeling hopeful since we've managed to DTD almost every night.

More replies to everyone later - hugs and baby dust as appropriate to all.

Edit: Just seen your post April - wonderful news, very happy for you
    Last edited by firebird082; 23-09-2016 at 9:13 AM.
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 23rd Sep 16, 9:44 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    Congratulations April. Wonderful news.
    • Rachylou1981
    • By Rachylou1981 23rd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Rachylou1981
    Congratulations April. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy
    • Slinky_Selina
    • By Slinky_Selina 23rd Sep 16, 1:11 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Slinky_Selina
    Congratulations April Hoping that all goes well for you xx

Sorry to hear your news Angel Its always worth exploring the private IVF clinics whilst waiting for your NHS appointment, its a great way to get some information and advice you can use in those NHS appointments.

Meanwhile I'm 6 days overdue, 2 BFN's so far, but a small amount of blood when I wipe, and when I say small I mean a small smear (tmi sorry!), fingers crossed that this is implantation bleeding and not Aunti Flo being a b**tch!
    • april87
    • By april87 23rd Sep 16, 5:02 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    april87
    Thanks ladies, here's hoping we see some more BFP

Fx for you Selina x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

401Posts Today

3,563Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• RT @purplemel75: @MartinSLewis Thanks for the #BigSwitch I've saved £424 by switching tariff!

• Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• Follow Martin