Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads -

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here:

This website is also useful
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 211
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Skimper !!!8211; I!!!8217;m not sure when you officially move over to when in doubt. Some like to do it when AF leaves, some when they know ovulation is imminent. Just give me a shout when you want to move over. I used the clearblue OPKs and they gave suggestions of when to start them depending on your cycle length. I started on CD10 the first time and CD12 the second. I OV on CD 20 and CD 21 in these two cycles.

Selement !!!8211; I hear you on the hard to predict annoyance! AF is now 9 days overdue so realistically I could come on anyday, but could also be weeks away! I have given up being overly cautious as I would do when AF is due. Even rebooked by bikini wax I cancelled as AF was due, although knowing my luck she will show on the day I have rebooked it for!

Tryingin2018 !!!8211; good luck chasing! Enjoy!

Rambosmum !!!8211; what is making you get coldfeet about TTC?

AthensGeorgia !!!8211; Welcome back, sorry to hear you have been feeling deflated. Have you had a long cycle like this before? I am CD42 and it is the first time I!!!8217;ve had a cycle last this long and it is starting to annoy me!

I tried another branded HPT tonight, negative as expected. So I think it is fair to say I am 100% sure I!!!8217;m not pregnant now. I am hoping AF comes towards the end of next week and it is just an odd cycle and there!!!8217;s no underlying issue. Still no pms symptoms or spotting which I usually get so I don!!!8217;t think it is due too soon.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 8th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Hi Ladies,

You have all been busy!

PKK & Athens - sorry to hear your cycles have been long, it must drive you crazy I often wish I was one of these people with 21 day cycles and had more chances but that being said it would be great for ttcing but after ttc no one wants af every 3 weeks do they!

Trying - get chasing that egg girl!!

Rambo - cold feet? It!!!8217;s probably just nervousness isn!!!8217;t it?

Ladies I!!!8217;m on cycle day 25, I have had a headache since Monday on and off
    And today some brown spotting with mild cramps/ belly ache I!!!8217;m about 11 dpo with AF not due to start until next Thursday, I Ovd about a week earlier than I was expecting this month? Do you think this could be it or the start of AF early ov early Af maybe? My test this morning was negative but if I!!!8217;m only just spotting I wonder if I am testing too early :/ xx
    • selement
    • By selement 9th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    So I thought even though I think it's unlikely because I'm so much later than normal maybe I'd try a test as it seems like an oversight not to but at same time thought it was silly to try since it's so unlikely.

I took my cheapie one step and it had a second faint mark.
    I took Sainsbury's test and that too appears positive

So I want to do a pink dye test to be 100% sure but none of the supermarkets near me stock them. Is boots the best bet?

Freaking out a little. I was drinking Saturday and I haven't been keeping up my folic acid and I've been eating unhealthily and having lots of caffeine and I booked that holiday and won't be able to go in the thermal baths but I'm excited at the same time!
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 9th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    How exciting Selement
    How many dpo are you? (I know i could look at the list but i'm just doing a quick reply)

How long have you been trying for?
    • selement
    • By selement 9th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    I kept feeling ill in february with headaches so I didn't bother testing for ovulation and we only BD once. So no idea how many dpo. According to app estimates I would be around 16 dpo but this does normally move when I do opk so don't think it's realible. I am slightly wondering if i was pregnant last month because I had an odd period that only lasted 2 days but when I tested around then it was negative.
    I came off pill in September but didn't get withdrawal bleed till November
    Last edited by selement; 09-03-2018 at 9:03 AM. Reason: Cleaning up text
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 9th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Get a digital test slement. That might give an idea If youre more than three weeks pregnant. !!!55357;!!!56833;
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 9th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Fingers Crossed Selement
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 9th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 2,149 Thanks
    Fab news selement! Fingers corssed for a stickybean. Boots is probably your best bet for a pink dye test. But a the weeks indicator digital should dhow up in a day or two.

I'm nervous because how awful things were last time - the labour was horrific and I ended up with PND and a few birth injuries (don't want to scare anyone!) and they are likely to come back in pregnancy and get worse/ possibly permenant if I'm forced to have a VB again. So I'm just very scared. But DS is so awesome and funny and wonderful i really want another - if someone could drop me an 8 months old, that'd do me!
    • tasha-debt
    • By tasha-debt 9th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 956 Posts
    • 2,007 Thanks
    Hi All,

Can I join you all please, we have been trying to conceive since April 2017, we had a miscarriage in June 2017 and since then cant get pregnant.

We saw a fertility doctor who has put me on Clomid, has anyone else had much experience with Clomid?

I’m back and more determined than ever!!!!!
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 9th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    HI Tasha welcome, this is a lovely, welcoming and supportive group.
    Sorry to hear about your Miscarriage.
    I have been off my pill since November but only officially trying to conceive last cycle.
    I have no experience of the Clomid but just wanted to welcome you.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD126 Nanyco
    CD56 CamelLady (39dpo)
    CD54 athensgeorgia
    CD43 PrettyKittyKat (22dpo)
    CD35 Selement
    CD26 KatieBee123
    CD21 Toots14 (6dpo)
    CD19 NelliePie (5dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD48 SlothSocks
    CD20 Tryingin2018
    CD7 T4Taylor

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD10 Celepie
    CD8 Skimper
    CD7 Rambosmum
    CD6 HappyLassie13
    CD6 Zeni

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney - 23/01/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    KatieBee If you OV a week early I would expect AF to be a week early too. I have been getting spotting prior to AF on a few cycles since coming off the pill. Do you use an app? If you updated when you OV that would presumably update when AF is due. Fingers crossed it doesn’t develop into AF for you.

Selement Everything is crossed for you! I agree with the others to get a digital, especially if you think you may be later than 3 weeks. Keep us updated! If you want any second opinions pop a picture of the test on.

RambosMum It is totally understandable why you would be getting cold feet when you had an experience like that last time. Have you asked your Doctor if you can elect for a Csection given your previous injuries? I follow a woman on IG who developed a mental health condition with her first pregnancy where you have an irrational fear of child birth. She is pregnant with her second and she is going to hypnobirthing sessions and said they have helped her massively. She had an elective Csection last time and has the option of an elective csection this time. Maybe doing a little research into your options should you become pregnant again may help you.

Tasha-Debt welcome to the thread! Everyone is so lovely in here! I am sorry to hear of your MC. I don’t have personal experience of clomid but know people that have used it and been successful. Is this your first cycle using clomid?
    • selement
    • By selement 9th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    Took the digital - it says pregnant 1-2 weeks so it must have happened on that one day we dtd lol. What are the chances?
    It's very weird not talking to anyone about this other than online! I haven't told my husband yet as he left for work before I did tests and I didnt want to message him the news. He'll be home soon... bit nervous about telling him. He knew this could happen of course but we'd both discounted this month and although he wants a baby he is more nervous about the idea than me...

Please move me to thread graduates i guess then! Baby dust to everyone xx
    • wifeforlife
    • By wifeforlife 9th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 2,789 Thanks
    Over joyed for you selement, there is no doubt a feeling of so many mixed emotions and this will continue but enjoy telling your DH this wonderful news. Wishing you a safe & healthy pregnancy

So I haven't really been online in a couple of weeks, I wasn't having any symptoms, I was torturing myself reading and just decided to unplug.

So today I have finally had a period, this is the 1st since the coil was removed in early January so I can finally ask PKK to add me to list, today is CD1
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 9th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    CONGRATS SELEMENT! Delighted for you! Fingers crossed for a very boring and straight forward nine months xxx
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 9th Mar 18, 7:50 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Congratulations selement! I hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months. Lovely to see a BFP on the thread. 7DPO here, not much to happening to symptom spot. I don't like testing early but will maybe do one Monday or Tuesday as I have a tattoo booked on Friday and you need to give 48 hours notice to cancel it.

Rambo, I know how you feel. I was having doubts about trying for No.2. We have such a sorted routine and I'm finally use to being back at work and DD is settled in nursery. I also had a terrible experience in labour but I requested a debrief which really put my mind at ease. I've had it confirmed that we will have a planned section if I fall pregnant again. It was the only way DH was happy to have another. He was really affected by my labour and genuinely thought I wasn't going to make it so I really had to put his mind at rest.
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 9th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Ah Selement I am so happy for you! Let us know how it goes telling the Husband tonight, I love hearing how (usually the man in the relationship) reacts to the news.
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 9th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Lovely to read stuff like this. congrats!
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 10th Mar 18, 5:09 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Congratulations Selement x
    • selement
    • By selement 10th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    Since Happylassie asked...
    My husband did freak out a bit (to be fair I did in the morning) because we had been expecting to start trying again in may. He is pleased and said I'd made his day but obviously it's a or to think about! And then we had to go out and see friends and I had to make him promise not to tell them yet as the day we find out us maybe a bit soon! They are good friends so might tell them before 12 week scan though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,566Posts Today

7,394Users online

Martin's Twitter