Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 204
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 14th Feb 18, 6:46 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    PKK - we have got a holiday to the states, it!!!8217;ll never happen again, well not anytime in the foreseeable future so I wonder if NTNP will be the best option until then, I just had the thought of wasting 2 months and thinking we will catch straight away, which in all honestly I thought it would have happened this month, my coil wasn!!!8217;t a hormonal one, we are both young fit and healthy, I know it!!!8217;s something like a one in four chance of conceiving each month but when you see people like oh we only had sex one time not intending to catch and they do, it really makes you wonder if their stories are all true. We are tracking like crazy, timing BDing, spend months prior to TTC tracking your cycle and then it doesn!!!8217;t happen. WTF?!?!? Yet someone can be careless and forget to take one of their pills and bam they!!!8217;ve got what we want? Just doesn!!!8217;t seem fair does it?

Selement - they!!!8217;re not stress headaches are they? Do you feel a lot of pressure to be pregnant? Maybe if you are already unwell watch you don!!!8217;t stress too much and make yourself ill

How is everyone? Any news from CamelLady? She seemed to be looking positive for this month xx
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 14th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Im sorry about all those numbers in my posts I have no idea what they are, I think its when my predictive text puts in apostrophes :@
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 14th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Yeah the numbers are an iPhone thing when you put an apostrophe.
    Hope everyone is well.
    Currently waiting for a positive opk. Should be tomorrow or Friday I think.
    • slothsocks
    • By slothsocks 15th Feb 18, 9:32 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    slothsocks
    Hop you enjoy your holiday KatieBee sounds fab.

Re the numbers thing, on average, there is a 1 in 5 chance of conceiving each month you time BD correctly if you have no fertility problems. Which means that the other 4 times the egg is either not able to fertilise or is subject to mutations which prevent a healthy embryo developing. It is random though, it's not like you'll ovulate one good egg then 4 bad ones, then one good one! You could ovulate a few good ones in a row, then not again for several months. If you mistime or sit out a month where you ovulate a good egg it could seem a long time before another comes along. This is all average, of course. Some people will have more chances, some less. That's why it can take healthy fertile couples a year + to conceive. It doesn't mean it can't happen first time though!

Our first child was conceived on the first month of trying, and we didn't try particularly hard. We just happened to time it right and get a good egg. Skip forward a couple of years and we have been TTC no 2 for 16 months without a sniff of a BFP, so we've gone from one extreme to the other. Had I been 10 years younger we'd have been advised to keep trying as our secondary infertility is 'unexplained' and as we have previously conceived naturally and easily, there is no reason it won't happen eventually. It's just the eventually part that's the snag as, at my age, I don't have time to play with.

The whole thing is very frustrating and there's not much you can do about it other than keep trying and keep trying to time things right x
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 15th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD103 Nanyco
    CD34 CamelLady (19dpo)
    CD32 athensgeorgia
    CD26 Toots14 (12dpo)
    CD21 PrettyKittyKat
    CD18 Rambosmum

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD26 SlothSocks
    CD21 Celepie
    CD14 T4Taylor
    CD13 Selement

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD9 Zeni
    CD4 KatieBee123

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney - 23/01/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 15th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    That sounds like an awesome holiday KatieBee! We had our honeymoon as our big last blow out holiday. We have been lucky and had a few amazing trips, but we knew that there would be no way we could afford the time or money to do those once we have babies. Definitely a 'to do' before little ones come along!

I got a static smiley this morning, so looks like I am ovulating today. No good for us as husband is still ill, so no BDing anywhere near ovulation. However, trying to find the silver lining, I ovulated on CD20 last month and CD21 this month, so at least that is consistent!
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 15th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Toots14
    Some pink spotting today like I had last month a few days before AF arrived. Never had it in my life to now having it two months in a row. Who knows
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 15th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Hi ladies, thanks for the insight slothsocks I did not know about the different chances for an egg and the reason why it can take upto a year.
    Today is cd14, Natural Cycles says I will ovulate on Saturday. Negative ovulation tests yesterday and today but lots of BD happening
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 16th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Hi all, nothing much to report CD23, 7/8 DPO.

Selement I hope you feel better soon.
    Slothsocks thanks for the info, I've definitely learned a lot reading this board.

Like many of you I'm torn between wanting a baby so bad but also thinking would I be miffed if I couldn't drink on my wedding&honeymoon in May? If we ruled out March and April due to dates and then May too because of the honeymoon it seems like such a waste of three months. We're only at the start of this journey and reading your storied I know it can take a long time to happen and is heartbreaking, so I don't feel like I can be cavalier about saying let's have three months off. I knew this wouldn't be easy but its hard in so many different ways.

I hope you all have great weekends.

NP
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • skimper
    • By skimper 16th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    skimper
    Nelliepie - I'm the same, we get married 4 weeks tomorrow! and didn't want to be pregnant before then, but since i'm still waiting for my first AF after the pill that's looking very unlikely anyway. So i think once AF arrives we will start trying straight away.
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 17th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Thinking about stopping tracking temp. Have been using Natural Cycles for a year but it!!!8217;s making me stress about timing BD. Need to release the pressure xx
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 17th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Toots14
    CD1 here not unexpected. Onto another month. We are away for our wedding anniversary at OV time so fingers crossed this will be our month!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 17th Feb 18, 5:41 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

CD105 Nanyco
    CD36 CamelLady (21dpo)
    CD34 athensgeorgia
    CD23 PrettyKittyKat
    CD20 Rambosmum

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD28 SlothSocks
    CD23 Celepie
    CD16 T4Taylor
    CD15 Selement

CD10 Zeni
    CD6 KatieBee123
    CD1 Toots14

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 18th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    nancyo
    Good morning Ladies,
    I have been keeping my distance from ttc altogether for a couple of weeks.
    I still have no AF, cd107 today. It is very frustrating.
    Doctor sent me for blood tests, results can take over a week, should hopefully have them by the end of next week. All signs are pointing towards menopause.
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 18th Feb 18, 2:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    So my first cycle after 13 years on the pill lasted 36 days so officially CD1, woo!

Can I be added to the list now?

I've been taking Agnus Castus so hoping my cycle lengths may reduce a bit but I never thought I would be this happy for an AF to start. Time to get cracking
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 18th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

CD107 Nanyco
    CD37 CamelLady (22dpo)
    CD35 athensgeorgia
    CD24 PrettyKittyKat
    CD21 Rambosmum

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD29 SlothSocks
    CD24 Celepie
    CD17 T4Taylor
    CD16 Selement

CD11 Zeni
    CD7 KatieBee123
    CD2 Toots14
    CD1 Tryingin2018

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 18th Feb 18, 7:42 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Nancyo - I'm sorry to hear that nancyo. I hope you have some definite answers soon so that you can at your options. It must be so frustrating for you at the minute. Sending lots of love.

Tryingin2018 - all added fingers crossed for your next cycle!
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 18th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Celepie
    I'm in the 2WW now - around 5 DPO I think but not sure I actually ovulated so we'll see!

So sorry to hear your news, nancy. I really hope it turns out not to be x
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 19th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Hi All,

Nancyo It's not confirmed until it's confirmed so don't give up hope yet. I'm sure everyone on this board is wishing you the best.

celepie Good luck!

AF has shown up 3 days earlier (and lighter) than expected - my first since coming off the patches. So I'm now CD1. I've updated Ovia and the fertile window shifted so the two times we BD which we thought were too early were actually right in the middle. Hopefully this shorter cycle length of 25 days sticks so I can fit more cycles in.

NP
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • T4taylor
    • By T4taylor 19th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    T4taylor
    Evening, hope everyone is doing okay we!!!8217;ve just come back from a lovely weekend away- and very well timed too. Please can I be moved to tww as I felt ovulation pains loud and clear yesterday and had a positive lh the day before. It!!!8217;s win win this month as if AF comes I get to begin a clinical trial I!!!8217;ve signed up for with clear blue. They!!!8217;re sending 2 months worth of their new opks and after the trial you get a £100 voucher as thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,876Posts Today

5,915Users online

Martin's Twitter