Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 200
    • slothsocks
    • By slothsocks 5th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    slothsocks
    Hi everyone! I'm still here, still waiting to start my IVF drugs.

Have you done a test selement? When I was pg I got my AF as normal, was just a bit lighter than usual, but I knew I was pg cause I felt awful so I tested and it was BFP.

We didn't tell anyone we were TTC or when we were pg, until after the scan, when we thought we were 'safe'. And even then we only told immediate family. This time we have had to tell our parents as we needed to borrow money from them/ ask for help with appointments etc. but we didn't mention it till very late on, when it was apparent that things were not going to go as smoothly as before. I honestly think the less people you tell the better, but then you've got to balance that with where you're going to need support.
    • selement
    • By selement 5th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    selement
    Thanks slothsocks I might try a test but I don't want to get my hopes up...

Good to hear from you, let us know how ivf goes

I'm quite open about things so I don't really mind people knowing I'm ttc the difficulty for me is some ask how it's going when clearly I would tell them if there was news I wanted to share.... I don't mind that much though . I wouldn't want everyone k owing but closest friends and family are part of support system and if I'd tell them if we miscarried may as well tell them once I'm pregnant I figure.
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 5th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    I don't mean to get your hopes up if I shouldn't Selement but I would also say test in a few days if AF doesn't put in a further appearance. I had a day of bleeding a couple of days before AF was due, wrote the month off, got put in the wine and chocolate zone (probably consumed both). Felt really out of sorts a couple of days later so tested then and got a solid positive. I'd had the full on cramps and everything. All must have just been the implantation in hindsight. Good luck to you x

I didn't tell anyone we were trying, MIL knew we wanted a family and DH didn't lie but I think that was helpful, she is tactful with these things and I think he needed to talk to someone about the issues we had. We told family after 12 week scan and the rest of the world after 20 week scan. Can make it a bit harder to tell people if they had no idea you were trying, but I find it's a very personal thing, and if I'd told people when we started trying then I also would have had to tell people when we found a problem. No-one else needs to know about my excessively frequent heavy periods!

Baby dust to you all x
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 5th Feb 18, 3:24 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    CD8 or maybe 7 for me, can't actually remeber! And so the ov tracking begins! Fingers crossed. My CM is doing stuff so seems I'm back to some sort of normal following stopping the pill, just need to time DTD right, we've got people staying this weekend so not sure it'll happen!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD93 Nanyco
    CD26 KatieBee123
    CD24 CamelLady (11dpo)
    CD16 Toots14 (2dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD33 Zeni
    CD22 athensgeorgia
    CD16 SlothSocks

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD11 PrettyKittyKat
    CD11 Celepie
    CD7 Rambosmum
    CD4 T4Taylor
    CD3 Selement

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney - 23/01/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 5th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Selement - I have found my AF can be different every cycle since I came off the pill. Sometimes I spot before, sometimes after, once it was so light I wasn't even sure I would class it as AF! I hope the fact you had other symptoms too means it was a positive outcome for you like slothsocks and LavenderBee say, I just wanted to give you another view.

CD11 for me today. I am going to hold off until CD13 before starting my OPKs just to make sure I have enough to last me. I have the same holder as last month which will have saved my baseline so I'm hoping that means I am ok to start a day later than suggested. I OV on CD20 last month so it gives me a leway of a day as I have 9 sticks left which will take me to CD21 if I start on CD13. We have DTD two days again and will be doing it tonight, going to aim for every other day again until OV.
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 5th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    13 dpo for me. Testing negative. Lots of crampy niggly feelings so think AF will be with me in next few days.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 5th Feb 18, 8:28 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Don!!!8217;t think it!!!8217;ll be too long as I!!!8217;ll be joining you with AF ladies feeling really crappy and usual AF symptoms think I!!!8217;ve been over symptom spotting because I want this so much, I will test Wednesday as planned but right now not very hopeful xx
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Feb 18, 7:18 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Sorry the signs aren't looking good for you ladies. It's not over u til the witch arrives though so fingers crossed for you both!

I found it reallydisappointing last month as I know we times it perfectly, so I have struggled to feel optimistic the kast couple of weeks. I am starting to feel exited about my feetile week coming up again now though.

I have decided to have some pomegrante juice with breakfast each morning this cycle. I read online that it is said to help with implantation. It may be an old wives tale but it won't do me any harm!
    • selement
    • By selement 6th Feb 18, 7:46 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    selement
    Tested last night and BFN. I could make excuses like it wasn't held for a long time and I didn't wait till urine cooled (cheap ones say use room temperature urine) but I think for now I'll just accept it isn't this time (if I get high results once I'm doing opk again I'll test again though!).
    I did have some spotting since stopping yesterday (overnight til late afternoon i was stopped) but this is still a lot less than normal.

Is it a bit dramatic to start feeling like it's never going to happen already? I know in ttc terms it hasn't been that long really. Only 3 cycles but because I know I came off the pill in September counting that way makes it seem like ages! I do know it isn't really though and these things can take a year or more... hope not though
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 6th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Selement - this one month seems to be taking forever, and I haven't even ovulated yet! The TWW is going to be painful I think.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    I can totally relate selement! We are on our 3rd cycle of trying, although I came off the pill at the end of August, so we have similar timelines. Inactually had the thought this morning that once we move house we need to start saving for IVF. I feel 'dramatic' as you say as I know people that are 2 years down the line of infertility so I frel guikty for feeling like this after 3 months. However, I think knowing more about oeople having struggles means I am more aware of how dificult it can be and my intuition tells me this is going to take some time for us!
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 6th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    14DPO today - BFN. Lots of cramps and a new one on me - sore sore nips! Guessing AF isn't far away now. Never had to deal with any of this being on the pill for so long.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 6th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD94 Nanyco
    CD34 Zeni
    CD27 KatieBee123
    CD25 CamelLady (12dpo)
    CD23 athensgeorgia
    CD17 Toots14 (3dpo)

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD17 SlothSocks

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD12 PrettyKittyKat
    CD12 Celepie
    CD8 Rambosmum
    CD5 T4Taylor
    CD4 Selement

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney - 23/01/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Sorry for the bfn tryingin2018.

CD13 today and peeing on the OPK sticks has begun! Ovia says that my fertile period starts on Saturday. However, my OH hs started to feel ill. Hopefully he will man up and feel better when he gets home tonight!
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 7th Feb 18, 7:13 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    BFN here aswell, I!!!8217;m hoping it!!!8217;s just to early but I doubt it, used first response early response, I!!!8217;ll wait until day af is due and try again
    • selement
    • By selement 7th Feb 18, 7:27 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    selement
    AF never returned so please move me to if in doubt...
    Fertile window won't be for a while yet.
    Curious about smep after someone on here mentioned it but I think DH won't want to try that hard yet! Maybe in a few months.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 7th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    tryingin2018 -sorry about the bfn

Definitely CD10 here, though no use to me - DH's uncle died unexpectedly yesterday so he's now going away over the weekend to visit family so we are out this month. Not trying next month or in April so will be back on the Wagon in May. Seems such a long time away!
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 7th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Sorry to hear about all of the BFN's and the witch getting some of you. Wine, chocolates and baby dust to all of you

I had EWCM yesterday (CD13) I hadn't had any for quite a while on the patch so it's good to know my body is doing roughly what it should be post-contraception.
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • Tryingin2018
    • By Tryingin2018 7th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Tryingin2018
    15dpo. Horrid nip pain. Cramps but no AF yet. BFN's since 11DPO so just think its a case of waiting for the witch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,766Posts Today

7,196Users online

Martin's Twitter