Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 190
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 12th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    As Celepie and Afoolandhermoney have said it means OV will most likely be in the next 12-36 hours (depending on when my surge actually happened I think). I am pleased as it was day 8 of using the CB digital with flashing smileys the other 7. So I had thought I wasn't going to get a static.

I've had OV pains in the last couple of hours so I'm pretty certain I have/am OV.

We have BD the last two nights so hopefully there are some swimmers already in waiting!
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 12th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    me too - knowing that I OV'd "early" this month compared to last means at least I have some forewarning of when AF can be expected even without regular cycles (and saves me testing *way* too early on a longer one). Plus I'm starting to see some patterns in terms of mood / physical signs and generally feel more "in tune" with whats going on
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 12th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Hi everyone,

There’s been a lot of activity over the last few days! Good luck to everyone ovulating and BDing!! I am slightly jealous! AF arrived in the evening the other night, I’ll be totally honest I was kind of hoping for a miracle but also relieved when it came, 1 - because of coil removal I was concerned if we had caught I had my coil removed later in my cycle so potentially some copper still in my lining, so will be nice to start off a new cycle with new lining and no copper! 2 - I wanted to see how much period pain I would get without a coil, please to report very minimal so coil has been causing me a lot of grief for a long time. Agony actually. And 3 - I wanted the excitement of our first proper month trying, I’m hoping this will be short lived and we will catch quickly, I’m sure everyone feels the same! I’ve bought some cheapie ovulation tests off the internet so any hints and tips on how to use these and when to start testing would be great!

PKK - please may I go on the lists? I am on cycle day 2, I don’t know how to do all these fancy fonts and changing text colours lol!

Hoping everyone has a lovely weekend! X
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 12th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Celepie
    Excited for you to begin properly, Katie! Re: the OPK sticks, I started testing on CD10 - I knew that was probably way too early but given my cycle is a bit erratic, I wanted to err on the safe side. I used internet cheapies so didn't feel bad for peeing obsessively on them over the last few days and then when I thought it looked positive or wasn't sure, I used a Clearblue digital. I'd say start sooner rather than later for your first couple of cycles until you get a feel for what's usual for you.
    • wifeforlife
    • By wifeforlife 12th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 2,785 Thanks
    wifeforlife
    Hi everyone

It seems a lot of people are in similar stages together which is lovely, it just shows that nobody is experiencing this alone.

So I've no idea about my cycles at all -I've had the coil for 8 years with no AF at all in that time (replaced after 5yrs), and nothing since it was removed on Monday not even spotting. Back in the day my cycle was approx 31 days and it was only AF for 3 days so hoping it's something similar again now when it finally returns.

I've used some clearblue OPK's this week as I'd like an indication asap if I can, so yesterday it was a clear circle but I looked at the lines (I know they say it means nothing) but tonight it's a static smiley, could it be wrong due to hormones?

My DH was exhausted tonight after work and has disappeared off to bed hours ago so I'll not wake him but I'd really love too
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 13th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Zeni
    Hey lovelies fab to read all updates on here and just feeling like you aren't alone.

Not having a good day, having a bit of cry and getting a pity on. I'm feeling like an awful person, one of my best friends has just announced she's expecting (and she caught first month or two of trying) and while I'm happy for her all I wanted to do was go and cry. I feel like the worst friend ever. I feel like this is never going to happen for us right now... was at the docs the other day as have a chest infection and she asked how it was all going with TTC as know I stopped the pill a year ago and said need to be trying for over two years really before they get involved. Don't know how to go for another year like this.

Apologies for little vent just, I can't really say this to anyone else and had to get it out. This month is out as with both of us ill we didn't get in the window so have to wait a couple weeks to do something about it. I need to talk to my OH about it all, but I just get so nervy talking about it and how it will go as sometimes we have good chats other times we can argue as the pressure gets too much.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 13th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD70 Nanyco
    CD22 SlothSocks
    CD21 PrettyKittyKat
    CD19 Toots14

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD27 Zeni
    CD18 Celepie
    CD14 Afoolandhermoney
    CD7 T4Taylor

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD11 Selement
    CD3 KatieBee123

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 13th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Celepie Ė yay for a static! I hope you have been able to get that BDing in! I have learnt so much more about my body just reading this thread. It is strange that I got to my thirties and didnít know all thisÖ. It makes me wonder what we actually learnt in PSHE/biology lessons now!

KatieBee - donít worry about the colours (I can only figure out how to do it on my laptop haha) as long as you write my name as you did I wonít miss it! All on the lists now, how exciting! I hope it is a short time before I add you to the graduates.

Wifeforlife Ė hmm it could make sense that having it removed recently could affect the sticks, although I donít know for sure! Just BD to be on the safe side!

Zeni - Your feelings are totally normal and do NOT make you a terrible person. The difference is that you are upset at the situation, not the person. It sucks when you really want something really badly and someone else gets it seemingly easier. Let yourself be upset, eat all the chocolate, drink all the fizz then cuddle on the couch with your other half!

Nanyco Ė how did your appointment go this week?

Iíve moved across to the TWW category as I think we have done all we can now. BD the two days before OV, day of OV (yesterday) and this morning. If we are feeling it maybe weíll BD tomorrow but Iím not going to force it. I donít think we could have done much more than we have this cycle so fingers crossed! Now just got the next 11 days to pass quickly.

I am so pleased with have this forum of like minded people to chat way and rant away to!
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 13th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Zeni
    Thank you Pretty I needed that I am really happy for her we have been friends forever. I think my only worry is how it will be full on as I know it will be all that is talked about now for months and I'm just going to have to get over myself and get on with it. (What's worse is I know my friend would hate that I was thinking all this and if she knew it would go out of her way to not make a fuss and I don't want that for her either).
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 13th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    You are welcome Zeni. Does your friend know you are TTC? See how it goes, if it does get a little too much just explain your feelings to her so she know you are happy, and want to be involved, but if you are having a bad day/week you may have to decline an invite or change the subject. This way she knows in advance it isn't personal and that you don't want her to stop talking about her pregnancy all together.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 13th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    PKK & Celepie- thank you hun! My ov strips arrived this morning so I’ll give them a little go this month, how exciting! I’ve ordered a load of cheapie tests too, as I know how impatient I can be and I’d rather go out and by a branded test to confirm if I think I get a positive rather than potentially waste several branded tests at an expensive cost!

Zeni - don’t feel bad hun! Sometimes I get my nose out of joint if my friend knowingly buys the same bag I’ve had my eye on for ages lol! Never mind sharing news like that! Your more than entitled to feel the way you feel, like PKK said if it gets too much just let her know it’s a sensitive topic I’m sure she will understand! Don’t apologise for venting, isn’t this what this group is for? Support

Enjoy your evening ladies x
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 13th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Zeni
    Thank you lovelies... I've calmed down a bit and had a good chat with the OH tonight.
    Got a nice surprise of AF tonight which may also explain my tears as well but ah well to starting a new month.
    • selement
    • By selement 14th Jan 18, 1:14 AM
    • 387 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    selement
    I'm starting to find ovia a bit annoying. I think I have a bit of ewcm (I'm still not super confident in correctly identifying it but definately in that direction) and when I put it in ovia it said I was near the end of fertile window, but before this fertile window didn't start till Wednesday .
    Last month it moved because I said I had cramps and decided I'd missed it too.
    Currently think I trust glow more
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 14th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Zeni
    selement I find that too, even when I enter data like my OV results it still sticks to the same 'fertile' days so my actually ovulation date is right at the end of my fertile week when shouldnt it be in the middle?Maybe I should give glow a try.
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 14th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Celepie
    The day you ovulate should be near the end of your fertile window - once you ovulate, the egg is only alive 12-24 hours and once it's gone, that's it - you have 0 chance of getting pregnant after that time. In addition, sperm can take a while to travel to the fallopian tubes. The few days before are actually the most crucial - because sperm can live up to five days in favourable conditions (ie. fertile ewcm) then you want to have some waiting when the egg is released.
    Last edited by Celepie; 14-01-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 14th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Selement - Ovia confuses me too! I don’t understand it’s prediction methods when it comes to my cycle, I have another tracker just something off the App Store, I flit between them both, especially as my fertile window on Ovia starts later than the other app I have. I’ve got my OPKs this month though so I suppose that’ll help me identify which app is giving me more accurate predictions! Maybe an idea for you to download another app and input your info you’ve saved on the Ovia app and see if that gives you different predictions

Celepie - thanks for the info above, I’ve always assumed once I had a show of ewcm this was the start of my fertile period, shows how little I knew about my cycles before starting ttc!

I’m hoping AF Is coming to an end today or tomorrow, although being completely honest AF hasn’t hindered any of my plans, normally I’d be in agony on the sofa for hours/days but apart from the obvious bleeding I haven’t even batted an eyelid this month! Crazy what contraception puts your body through!

Good luck to anyone due to test this week! X
    • selement
    • By selement 14th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    selement
    I use glow and ovia. The fertile windows are usually a little different in them so I use opk.
    Negative opk as expected today. I think ovia is too keen to update on a single symptom. Glow thinks I'll ovulate on 22nd (it sets fertile window as 5 days before and 1 day after) and did not change prediction over 1 day of ewcm or a day of cramping. Ovia makes predicted ovulation day less clear, I think it says 4 days before and day of ovulation are fertile window based on how it responded to positive opk.
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 14th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD71 Nanyco
    CD23 SlothSocks
    CD22 PrettyKittyKat
    CD20 Toots14

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD19 Celepie
    CD15 Afoolandhermoney
    CD8 T4Taylor

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD12 Selement
    CD4 KatieBee123
    CD2 Zeni

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 14th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Selement Ė I must admit I rarely update symptoms on Ovia, just BD and AF/spotting. I also put OV in this month as I used the sticks and on that one it changed my fertile window to ending the day of OV (it was originally down as ending the day after). I thought this was strange as the egg can live for up to 24 hours so I would have thought the day after would be fertile too. When I logged by OV it said that I had logged data 5 days in a row and if I kept doing this then the algorithm for calculating the fertile week would get more accurate. Maybe try not logging symptoms next month and see if that helps it stay more consistent? Ovia turned out to be pretty spot on for me this month in terms of fertile week.

I think KatieBees idea of trying a couple of apps is a good one if you are finding Ovia abit inconsistent.
    I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend. The husband and I have had a really nice day out today, which has been lovely. I wish it wasnít Monday tomorrow though! haha
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 15th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    15 dpo and no AF but last time I wrote one of these posts she arrived pretty much straight after.

I'm not having any feelings either way tbh. I had noticed my cervix has been different to what it usually is all week but I know that's not the most reliable way of checking these things. I'm going to hang on for a few days if AF doesn't arrive by Wednesday or Thursday I might test then. I have had AF arrive 15dpo and 16dpo before but then I'm not OPKing so maybe OV had been wrong on those cycles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,007Posts Today

10,459Users online

Martin's Twitter