Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 188
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD64 Nanyco

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD21 Zeni
    CD15 PrettyKittyKat

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD16 SlothSocks

CD12 Celepie
    CD13 Toots14
    CD8 Afoolandhermoney
    CD5 Selement
    CD1 T4Taylor

CD? Skimper (awaiting 1st AF)
    CD? HappyLassie13 (AF due 15th)

Those we haven't heard from in a while:

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    My folic acid was 99p for 100 tablets from the chemist! Haha I am taking 400mcg. I asked the doctor if I should take anything else. She said folic acid is very very important, she also said the guidelines have recently changed and if you have a higher BMI you need to take more. She checked my weight and said I was ok (I am slightly overweight) so it may be worth checking ladies. The Doctor said nothing else was essential until I get pregnant and then she said to take more supplements… however it is always useful to ask others in my position.

Freddie – nice to see you still on the thread! I hope your other half is feeling ok with the pregnancy despite being off her food! I do have low vit D so I think I may add that into my daily routine too – thank you.

T4Taylor – ah sorry the witch got you! But at least you got an answer without much more of a wait. I am glad you still have plenty of chocolates… and you can’t beat a good roast, make sure you get yourself a big dessert too!

I have moved myself over to the ‘if in doubt BD zone’ as hopefully ovulation is any day now. I still have a flashing smiley this morning on CB advanced stick. I am starting to get nervous for the static - does anyone else get like that?!
    • selement
    • By selement 7th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 1,820 Thanks
    selement
    AF over. I would like to succeed this month. Maybe I'll try getting vitamin D to take. I wouldn't know for sure that I'm low but I probably don't go outside enough really.

If I use the cycle length-17 days forumal for starting opk I will start testing from CD12.

My husband works in a pharmacy and always says products are usually identical but people pay for the brand names so best to pay less and go with supermarkets own. Verytrue with painkillers (although just to be awkward I'm terrible at swallowing tablets so end up paying for expensive melting versions).

Obviously pregnacare contains extra vitamins but it sounds like they might not all be necessary?
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • skimper
    • By skimper 7th Jan 18, 10:19 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    skimper
    When's best to start taking folic acid? I'm still waiting for AF to arrive and probably got a good few weeks to go. Am I best to start taking it after the first AF as that's when we can actually start trying.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 8th Jan 18, 6:08 AM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Skimper - start taking it now
    Mortgage remaining: £43,140 of £77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target July 17 - £17,960 / £28,000
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 8th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Skimper - definitely start taking folic acid (and Vit D if you decide to include that) now. I'm taking Boots own folic acid and vit D tablets (they were a couple of pounds for 90 tablets and three for two the other month, I started taking them when I came off the pill in September, and figured that that was enough supply to get me through a couple of months of trying and through the first 12 weeks when you don't need the supplements.
    Freddie - good to see you, hope your missus is doing well

PKK - I went straight to a static smiley this morning, no flashing ones at all this month.

I really thought things might have settled down, but it looks like this will be another short cycle (at least with the sticks I'm forewarned about it). That puts me at CD9 and also "if in doubt BD" zone - just to confuse everyone!!
    • slothsocks
    • By slothsocks 8th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    slothsocks
    Hi everyone. Sounds like there's been a lot of O action over the weekend! Fingers crossed you all caught the egg! I O'd on Saturday so today I'm CD17 (2DPO) two week wait section. We DTD Friday and Saturday, so timed things well but timing has never been our issue.

We are both taking a pre-conception multivitamin, pregnacare because our local shop has it, though any will do, on the advice of our fertility clinic. I'd been taking folic acid beforehand anyway.

Skimper, advice is to take folic acid for three months before commencing trying, so I'd start ASAP. I'm sure that'll be fine as a lot of people fall pregnant accidentally and have not been taking folic acid for the preceding months.

Hope you and OH are feeling better soon Zeni

Thanks for the lists PKK
    Last edited by slothsocks; 08-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    • wifeforlife
    • By wifeforlife 8th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 2,524 Posts
    • 2,786 Thanks
    wifeforlife
    So excited - today is the day I get the mirena out. I feel like it's been forever waiting on this day, so going from one waiting game to another waiting game but at least I'll feel like I can properly join in instead of just reading

Loving the positivity from the weekend -I hope there is good fortune for you that are actively trying
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 8th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Hi Everyone,

Wifeforlife - good luck with the coil removal, Hope it goes well!

I don’t know where I am with this cycle. I am due on tomorrow and when I had my coil removed I should have ovulated around a week before it was taken out so I automatically assumed this month would just be practice. It’s normal for me to be anything up to 4 days late but I usually have symptoms and strong cramps for a day around a week before I do come on. I had the copper coil so there shouldn’t be any hormones involved in terms of my pms symptoms, I am expected my periods to be a lot less painful now the coil is gone though. I was also ill over the Christmas break so wondering if this will have any affect on my cycle.

I’ve done a test which was negative as I expected, I have some stomach discomfort But definitely not period type pain. Who knows... I can see this being an anxious journey

Hope everyone’s well x
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Jan 18, 9:43 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

CD65 Nanyco
    CD17 SlothSocks

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD22 Zeni
    CD16 PrettyKittyKat
    CD9 Afoolandhermoney

CD13 Celepie
    CD14 Toots14
    CD6 Selement
    CD2 T4Taylor

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Afoolandhermoney I think I would prefer short cycles, more chances! haha I;m still flashing but I did have some discharge today, so fingers crossed for a static in the morning. Today is BD day following the SMEP so it would be well timed if I do ovulate tomorrow!

Wifeforlife - Happy removal day!

KatieBee - I feel you on the anxious journey comment! This month is the first time we have monitored ovulation and I have found it has made me quite nervous, silly really but you can't help how your emotions react.

When I was reading the SMEP information it said how even if you time BDing perfectly there is still only a 1 in 4 chance of conception.... which seems unfair when you have gone to all the effort of timing it perfectly! This is much harder than it was ever made out to be when you are in your teens!

I am crossing my fingers we get our first graduate of 2018 quite quickly as lots of us seem to be timing things well .
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 9th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    PKK - thank you, I am trying to see the positives in short cycles = more chances, though as it takes a few days post AF before I start feeling frisky it is limiting our chances of BDing on the right day. BD'd last night though and may again tonight so that'll be two chances in around the right time. As you say, its all A LOT harder than it was made out to be when we were younger and the "it only takes one time" warnings

Wifeforlife - hope all went well with the removal yesterday

KatieBee - yep, POAS has made me more anxious than I thought it would; even last month when I knew we hadn't BD'd anywhere near the right time and that AF wasn't due for days I still tested early just in case of a miracle (I think Christmas was playing on my mind a bit much!). If you've been ill that might be another reason for AF being late (and the "rummaging" of having your coil removed might have an effect too?), but fingers crossed for you being our first graduate.
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 9th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    I've spent the past two days catching up from November when I went AWOL. AF was due and when she arrived I went into a complete meltdown as realised it was our last chance before Christmas (I have irregular sometimes long cycles) and it would have been the second anniversary of our MC and still not pg.

We've had a lot going on tbh not just with Christmas.

I feel I'm ready to join in a bit better. Not to be on the lists because I think I turned in to a raving loony especially as we're supposed to be NTNP as we already have children and we wanted a what's meant to be is meant to be scenario. And in all honesty I came back to look at some of my past posts. I have been keeping up with Ovia but only in logging the date of when I guessed OV was and AF starting and finishing so not fully clued up on symptoms. I had something strange happen. Yesterday I was 8dpo and had spotting. I didn't want to get my hopes up of it being implantation so wanted to be sure it hadn't happened before.

I did have implantation bleed with DD1 but then didn't in 3 subsequent pregnancies.

Anyway lots of babydust to everyone especially anyone in the 2WW.
    • KatieBee123
    • By KatieBee123 9th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    KatieBee123
    Athensgeorgia - welcome back, maybe the break from being so focused has done some good, fingers crossed!

Afoolandhermoney - I think the removal might have something to do with what I’m feeling. I have had like niggling and sore stomach pains all day today. Due on but no sign of AF and the pains I’m getting are so mild and not period type pains if you know what I mean. I don’t know if perhaps removal can cause an infection or inflammation maybe some sort of internal bruising even maybe that’s why my stomach is sore :/

A question for everyone, I’ve been tracking my cycles on Ovia, I was due on today but haven’t come on (took test yesterday and was negative so not gunna test for a few more days if no signs) I updated Ovia to say I hadn’t come on and instead of predicting my period perhaps tomorrow or the next day it’s skipped straight to the 14th? This has totally thrown me, that’s five days time how can there be such a difference because I didn’t come on today as predicted or am I missing something?

Hope everyone is well x
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    TTC Thread

CD66 Nanyco
    CD18 SlothSocks

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD23 Zeni
    CD17 PrettyKittyKat
    CD10 Afoolandhermoney

CD14 Celepie
    CD15 Toots14
    CD7 Selement
    CD3 T4Taylor

2018 Thread Graduates:
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Athenasgeorgia - It is good to see you back. I am glad the break has helped you feel a little better. Fingers crossed the spotting is a positive sign!

KatieBee - I have had one occasion when my AF was 4 days later than expected. When I updated my Ovia each day to say no AF it only moved it on the one day... not sure why it would move it on 5 days!

Well.. I'm still flashing over here.... now 5 days . Ovia says I am on day 2 of my 6 days fertile period, so the continued flashy does tally up with this, which I keep telling myself...I am just hoping I do get a static and I don't get to day 9 with no static (at which point CB says to stop as you are unlikely to get one).
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 10th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    welcome back Athenasgeorgia - fingers crossed for you.

PKK & Katie - as my cycles are irregular Ovia keeps doing weird things too, last months was a week longer than the previous two so I "missed" my predicted period completely, when i updated it each day it moved it forward one day each time but when I'd gone passed the last day it thought it should be it just removed all the future periods waiting on a BFP or AF - once I came on and updated it it popped predicted periods back in again. Katie - maybe Ovia worked out something similar for you based on previous months when you were later? PKK - hope you get a static soon, but don't worry if not even if you go to day 9 (you may just have missed seeing the surge if yours was later in the day; CB seems to pick mine up OK in the mornings, but from reading around it seems some people don't get a surge til the PM).
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 10th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    HI PKK,

Can i be taken off the list please?
    I will still be lurking but a change in circumstances has pushed things back a little.

Thank you
    • slothsocks
    • By slothsocks 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    slothsocks
    Good to 'see' you athensgeorgia. Spotting sounds promising, fingers crossed for you. Sorry you've had a tough time recently. TTC can be very draining.

Hope everything's ok HappyLassie

I personally find Ovia to be worse than useless. It's predictions bear no resemblance to what actually happens with my cycle and I get myself unnecessarily stressed out by it. I've had a lot more luck with fertility friend.

I'm just waiting it out till AF comes now. Then I can start taking the pill in preparation for the IVF drugs.
    Last edited by slothsocks; 10-01-2018 at 2:27 PM.
    • skimper
    • By skimper 10th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    skimper
    No new updates from me really, still no AF after 3 weeks off the pill & also no symptoms yay!

I bought some folic acid which ill start taking today. Stupid question but can men take these? or is there anything men can take to help things?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

2,130Users online

Martin's Twitter