Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 180
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 6th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Zeni
    Well that will teach me didn't on the day got static as OH worked very late and then yesterday he was sick so missed the window
    Oh well, at least I can go to my Christmas parties and have a drink and not worry suppose.. feel a bit frustrated. On the other positive my AF was due just before Christmas so at least if I know its coming won't be upset over xmas. Bah.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • selement
    • By selement 6th Dec 17, 10:21 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 1,764 Thanks
    selement
    Sorry to hear that Zeni. I don't suppose you managed to BD in the days before? At least you can drink over Xmas
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • slothsocks
    • By slothsocks 7th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    slothsocks
    Hi everyone. I have been reading but not posting. I've lost my positivity a bit. WE haven't really tried this cycle, feel a bit like what's the point? Just waiting for our IVF appointment now.

Hugs for BFNs, AFs and missing windows. This is all a bit rubbish, isn't it?
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 7th Dec 17, 11:06 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    slothsocks - fingers crossed on the IVF appointment (do you have a date for that yet?) Is it weird to say "enjoy doing it for fun til then"?
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 7th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    Hi, i wondered if it would be okay for me to join in?

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now.
    My partner and I are wanting to start a family.
    At the moment we are not trying but nor are we preventing.
    I stopped taking the pill on the 12th of November (Cerazette), I had AF on the 18th of November and she is due to return on the 19th of December.
    I have always tracked my periods and my cycle length is on average 31 days.

I look forward to chatting to you all.
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 7th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    I’m still here, lurking.
    Can I please vent?
    Talking to a collleague about her maternity leave ending and she asks how I’m getting on with TTC (they all know I had MC just after Christmas)
    Then goes on to tell me about other women she know getting pregnant after so long, or not knowing they were pregnant til they were 5 months blah blah.
    Now I might just be upset that AF is due tomorrow but it really got to me, telling me stories of how other women managed to do what I can’t.
    I know she meant well, and not at all for me to take it that way.

Or am I just nuts?

Hope everyone else is ok.
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 7th Dec 17, 2:16 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Welcome HappyLassie13 - were you getting regular periods on Cerazette? mine stopped completely and post-pill (since September) my previously regular 28day cycles have shortened to 21-23 days. Fingers crossed yours settle quickly
    Muchkin84 I'm sure she meant it as comforting positive news, but I know it sucks when people say things without thinking - I had to (for my own sanity) unfollow a number of friends on bookface earlier in the year because there were too many preggers ladies - "nuts" doesn't come close to describing how much it got to me every time there was another scan photo as I've been waiting to try for so long. Hope AF is kind to you.
    CD4 today and AF almost out the door, so CB testing from tomorrow hoping to catch the window this month.
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 7th Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Thank you. Good luck this month x
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 7th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    Welcome HappyLassie13 - were you getting regular periods on Cerazette? mine stopped completely and post-pill (since September) my previously regular 28day cycles have shortened to 21-23 days. Fingers crossed yours settle quickly
    Originally posted by afoolandhermoney
    Thank you
    Yes they were pretty regular, give or take a few days from the due date on my app.
    I hope so too. Once i know they have settled to a constant cycle, that's when we'll look into trying "officially"
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Dec 17, 11:02 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Welcome happylassie!

Zeni - oh no but like you said, at least you know this month isn't going to be the one so you can relax and enjoy the festivities.

According to Ovia my fertile week starts tomorrow. I'm away tomorrow evening. BD tonight, and then going to aim for every 2-3 days for the next week to hopefully get the right time! Ovia says my most fertile day is Monday, so does that mean Ovia thinks I will ovulate on Monday?
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 8th Dec 17, 6:47 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    nancyo
    Good Morning,

Little update from me, still no AF and all BFN, just took another test there. So disappointing, what is wrong with me, I just so want AF to arrive now

I am 8 days late now
    • selement
    • By selement 8th Dec 17, 8:31 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 1,764 Thanks
    selement
    Nancyo did you say you'd had a full cycle since coming off the pill? Just checking because it took me 8 weeks to bleed after coming off so it isn't unusual for it to take longer the first time
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 9th Dec 17, 10:58 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Zeni
    nancy that sounds very frustrating!

Thanks pretty, weirdly after the initial annoyance I'm quite relaxed..maybe I needed a month off just to relax a bit and get back to a bit of normality before starting again in the new year!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    nanyco - Selement has made a good point. If you have recently come off your pill it may just been that your cycles haven't settled yet.

Zeni - that sounds like a good plan! December is always a hectic month so it is the perfect month to have a month off and enjoy being with your OH, family and friends.

I' have been experiencing pains todays. I have felt them before and always presumed it was because I needed a wee or hadn't drank enough. I read one of you mentioning ovulation cramps on here previously, I didn't even know they existed! I did a little googling before and I think this might be what my pains are.... are they a good sign?
    I am hoping they mean Ovia's prediction of ovulating in a few days is correct!
    • Dot.1991
    • By Dot.1991 10th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Dot.1991
    Prettykittykat- sounds like a good sign! I do usually get them each month too. Mine started this morning, did a CB test and got the static smiley, I had flashing Friday and forgot to do one yesterday. Ovia predicted for me OV would be Tuesday and Flo reckoned Wednesday so I think its always good when using the apps to take the date as a bit of a guide.
    I haven't actually told OH that I've used the tests, it's been a bad week for him so once I got the flashing smiley on Friday I said now for the next week will be about the right time, his response was so should we try everyday then? Haha I've said every other day should be fine I don't want him to feel like he "has to".

Could really do with some good news for the family so I've got my fingers crossed for this month!

Hope everyone is ok, Munchkin I can see why you are annoyed at your colleague, I'm sure she did mean well but me personally I hate been given advice and things until I ask for it, makes me feel punchinh them in the face if they act like they know everything! Rant over! Xx
    • Munchkin84
    • By Munchkin84 10th Dec 17, 10:04 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Munchkin84
    Thanks dot.
    Fingers crossed for this month for you x
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 10th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Dot - so you got your pains on the day you have ovulated? We BD last night so if I did ovulate yesterday that would be good timing! I don't think there really is any need to tell your OH about the sticks until he needs to know.

I was going to try and BD every other day but I have just read a few things online and lots of articles say that is it not true that the swimmers are lower quality if you do it everyday. Ovia says there is no truth in it too, so BDing everyday in your fertile window is fine as long as you want to do it! I think my OH is quite enjoying all this BDing as he was (joking) quite disappointed when I (joking) said I would let him have a days rest!
    • Dot.1991
    • By Dot.1991 10th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Dot.1991
    Thank you Munchkin

Pretty- I usually get pains for a couple of days, I did my test today but static means that the hormone levels are at their peak so ovulation will be coming very soon and that today and tomorrow will be my best chances, that's how I understand it. Zeni I know you use the tests too, is that how you understand it to be too?

Yes I've read everyday is fine they will still be good quality because they are "fresh" just not as many as them as they don't have the time to replenish, all this science behind it does make me laugh sometimes!

It's good that you're OH is enjoying it! I don't think mine likes been told what to do so when I first used the tests and told him peak today it didn't go so well for us. I'm been a lot more chilled out about it now which has been working well for us so far. What will be will be! Xx
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 10th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Zeni
    Dot that's what I thought too, static smiley stays there for 48 hours so I assumed that was your ovulation window of time. OV pains are funny, I only realised them when I was tracking my cycles before I must have just thought I felt a bit off that day!
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 11th Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Well, Ovia recons today or tomorrow is OV day - but Clearblue stick still a blank circle. It does say some women don't get a high before the peak reading so fingers crossed that's me and I'll get a smiley tomorrow. Snowed in today so lots of time to BD ;-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,540Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter