Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 179
    • Dot.1991
    • By Dot.1991 3rd Dec 17, 10:50 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Dot.1991
    Fingers crossed Nancyo, it's horrible waiting when it's late, I was 4 days late last month and I was like you fearing to go to the toilet! I had just used cheap tests to test with but I did think I had a faint line on one when I was 2 days late but obviously not! I have heard that Tesco ones are not the most reliable.

I've just about come off my period now, usually only 3/4 days but it's hung around very lightly for a few more days!

Hope everyone is doing ok xx
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 3rd Dec 17, 4:50 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Zeni
    Nancyo I've always heard pink dyes are the best, first response tests seem to be good, bought some of amazon saving them for hopefully a time when I'll need them!
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 3rd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Ah Nancyo that feeling of waiting for it to arrive is horrid. I hope you get an answer one way or another soon, and fingers crossed it is a nice reason.

I can't believe we are in the last month of the year now. It has been a busy and lovely year for us. Getting a BFP would be the absolute icing on the cake, although I do feel too scared to even dream of that!

What is everyone's plan of action this month? Ovia says my fertile window starts on the 8th so I'm thinking we will try to BD every 3 days for the next couple of weeks and see what happens
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 3rd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    nancyo
    Ah Nancyo that feeling of waiting for it to arrive is horrid. I hope you get an answer one way or another soon, and fingers crossed it is a nice reason.

I can't believe we are in the last month of the year now. It has been a busy and lovely year for us. Getting a BFP would be the absolute icing on the cake, although I do feel too scared to even dream of that!

What is everyone's plan of action this month? Ovia says my fertile window starts on the 8th so I'm thinking we will try to BD every 3 days for the next couple of weeks and see what happens
    Originally posted by PrettyKittyKat
    I got a very very faint positive on a frer...not holding out hope though.

Just waiting for AF to arrive, kinda glad it's late it will sync me & DH shifts for fertile window 😁
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 3rd Dec 17, 7:56 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    I got a very very faint positive on a frer...not holding out hope though.

Just waiting for AF to arrive, kinda glad it's late it will sync me & DH shifts for fertile window 😁
    Originally posted by nancyo
    haha well at least there is a silver lining if AF arrives.... last month wasn't your month but then at least this month has a much better chance!
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 3rd Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD55 athensgeorgia
    CD42 Spooney7
    CD30 nancyo
    CD33 thrift360
    CD30 selement
    CD23 afoolandhermoney

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD12 Zeni
    CD9 slothsocks
    CD9 PrettyKittyKat

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD7 Dot.1991
    CD5 Toots14

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    easilydistracted
    dragoneye454
    DSM348
    twigpig
    ButterflyBabe

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    FreddieFrugal 3/11/17
    LavenderBee 23/10/17
    emdoug 26/09/17
    Teeniepops 14/09/17
    Chelle22 10/09/17
    KateySW 08/09/17
    MrsNubs 25/08/17
    Kirstypoos 21/07/17
    Sulphate 16/07/17
    Cherry Gale 11/7/17
    Orange_Candle 11/5/17
    alipops1986 05/05/17
    samtoby
    2ba3c 25/03/17
    Mortgage remaining: £43,140 of £77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target July 17 - £17,960 / £28,000
    • selement
    • By selement 3rd Dec 17, 9:46 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    selement
    Do you all wait for late AF to test? Ovia is suggesting I test tomorrow but not predicting AF for a few days after that. I am feeling impatient and wanting to test but obviously it might be setting myself up for disappointment.
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 3rd Dec 17, 10:30 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    That's strange that it is telling you to test before AF is due. last month was the first time I paid attention to it and it didn't tell me to test until AF was due and I updated that it hadn't arrived. I think you would be better off waiting until AF is due.
    • selement
    • By selement 3rd Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    selement
    That's strange that it is telling you to test before AF is due. last month was the first time I paid attention to it and it didn't tell me to test until AF was due and I updated that it hadn't arrived. I think you would be better off waiting until AF is due.
    I think Ovia tells you to test 12dpo which would indeed be tomorrow for me
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 4th Dec 17, 8:41 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Originally posted by selement
    I think it will be more accurate if you're actually late, but FRER will pick it up before then.
    No AF over the weekend (and BFN) so not a 21 day cycle for me this month, if its a 28 one then we might be in with a chance this month, but I'm not holding my breath
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 4th Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    nancyo
    BFN again for me today...
    Still no AF but honestly feel like I'm still having it, all symptoms but no blood 🤔
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 4th Dec 17, 6:21 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat

Ooh I didn't realise, you learn a new thing everyday! I would try and hold out as long as you can so that the test is most accurate
    • selement
    • By selement 4th Dec 17, 6:50 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    selement
    How strange nancyo, are you going to keep testing everyday unless AF arrives?

I had a tiny bit of spotting today. I'm 12dpo which seems late for it to be implantation bleed (not impossible but not likely enough that i should get my hopes up). I will ignore ovia and not test, will wait to see if AF arrives properly tomorrow. Maybe if it doesn't I'll try a test. I'm impatient about testing but telling myself it's only 1 day makes it seem manageable. I will be surprised if AF doesn't come really.

Edit: AF has found me. CD1
    Last edited by selement; 04-12-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 4th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    nancyo
    How strange nancyo, are you going to keep testing everyday unless AF arrives?

I had a tiny bit of spotting today. I'm 12dpo which seems late for it to be implantation bleed (not impossible but not likely enough that i should get my hopes up). I will ignore ovia and not test, will wait to see if AF arrives properly tomorrow. Maybe if it doesn't I'll try a test. I'm impatient about testing but telling myself it's only 1 day makes it seem manageable. I will be surprised if AF doesn't come really.

Edit: AF has found me. CD1
    Hugs selement that's such a shame
    Yes I'll be testing every day until the witch gets me...
    Frer tomorrow 😣
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 4th Dec 17, 9:51 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Oh no Selement Big hugs.

Nancyo - keep us updating on the testing. Fingers crossed for you.
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 4th Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Zeni
    Well my CB sticks say solid smiley so I'm Oving.. I always used to BD on the day I got it but now I've read it should be the day after? Confused!
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • Dot.1991
    • By Dot.1991 4th Dec 17, 10:21 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Dot.1991
    I'm sorry Selement, hugs to you and on to next month!

Zeni I'm not sure actually, I would have said first day of static smile if you can only try one day out of the two, but that's just my opinion and I'm impatient, if I left it for the second day I'd worry about missing it. I can't find a definitive answer but the instructions say that day and the next day for best chances.
    I am going to broach the topic of CB tests with OH as I need to start using them tomorrow if I use them this month.
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 5th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    nancyo
    Oh no Selement Big hugs.

Nancyo - keep us updating on the testing. Fingers crossed for you.
    Done First Response Early Result with FLU and BFN...i don't no why I do it to myself everyday it's so disappointing, really sets me up for the day.
    I was due AF Friday gone so 5 days late now and nothing. I was getting my hopes up but just looks my cycle is messed up due to birth control most likely.

Well my CB sticks say solid smiley so I'm Oving.. I always used to BD on the day I got it but now I've read it should be the day after? Confused!
    Originally posted by Zeni
    I no with my first I BD day after and got pregnant. But to be sure do both days...
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 5th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    Selement - big hugs. The witch got me late yesterday evening too :-( so I guess today is CD2. At least I can be more certain about when to start the CB sticks again this month - although if we don't catch it this month then AF is due on Xmas day (oh joy).
    • selement
    • By selement 5th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    selement
    Thanks for the sympathy everyone, feeling bummed out about it.

Nancyo it could be that your cycle still isn't normal that is a good point. I hope you get an answer one way or the other soon as waiting can be so frustrating!

My AF was earlier than I thought it would be which is lucky in a way. As this is first proper cycle I'm hoping this means my cycle will be typically 29 days - but admittedly I was never regular before the pill so may end up all over the place.

Fingers crossed for lots of baby dust for us all this December!

Can anyone who does BBT recommend a fairly cheap thermometer? Looking on amazon but they all seem to have some bad reviews!
    Last edited by selement; 05-12-2017 at 9:29 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,858Posts Today

8,567Users online

Martin's Twitter