Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5,687Posts
    • 70,489Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 12:29 PM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 12:29 PM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.
    Last edited by sexymouse; 19-06-2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 178
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 28th Nov 17, 6:57 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Zeni
    I came off the pill in January, been using Ovia ever since and clear blue ov kit for the last two cycles. take folic acid and vitamin d pills most days when I remember.

I'm going to keep using the OV sticks this cycle but not going to involve OH with them as much as it seemed to stress him out last month.
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 28th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    TTC Thread

Two Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD50 athensgeorgia
    CD37 Spooney7
    CD29 Toots14
    CD25 nancyo

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD28 thrift360
    CD25 selement
    CD18 afoolandhermoney

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD7 Zeni
    CD4 slothsocks
    CD4 PrettyKittyKat
    CD2 Dot.1991

Those we haven't heard from in a while
    easilydistracted
    dragoneye454
    DSM348
    twigpig
    ButterflyBabe

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up.

Thread Graduates
    FreddieFrugal 3/11/17
    LavenderBee 23/10/17
    emdoug 26/09/17
    Teeniepops 14/09/17
    Chelle22 10/09/17
    KateySW 08/09/17
    MrsNubs 25/08/17
    Kirstypoos 21/07/17
    Sulphate 16/07/17
    Cherry Gale 11/7/17
    Orange_Candle 11/5/17
    alipops1986 05/05/17
    samtoby
    2ba3c 25/03/17
    Mortgage remaining: £43,140 of £77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target July 17 - £17,960 / £28,000
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 28th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    nancyo
    Is everyone ovulating every month in this group, or do we have anyone having problems?

I'm slightly worried about having too many positive sticks this month, it was 11 days in a row positive...if that happens next month think I might see my GP.
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 28th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    nancyo
    I use ovia too, it's really helpful for logging etc.
    The app must think I'm crazy with the amount of pg tests I've taken ha ha
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 29th Nov 17, 9:21 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    I couldn't get on with ovia, so i'm using Cycles. Came off pill in September and am taking folic acid & vit d when I remember - you'd think after years of managing to take a pill every day at the same time this would be easier than it has been. Think AF is on her way again for the weekend based on some PMS symptoms (making this another short cycle) :-( at least i'll be able to start OPKing earlier next month to try and spot the window
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 30th Nov 17, 9:54 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    nancyo - too early to tell for me if I'm OVing monthly. Still no smiley face but pretty sure I started testing too late (first month with the sticks). I hate having no idea what my cycles will do from one month to the next, I was like clockwork before cerazette and now having had nothing for years its like being a hormonal teenager again
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 30th Nov 17, 1:54 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    Toots14
    CD2 here

Next month we are out too as I'm away abroad without DH at OV time. Ah well.
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 30th Nov 17, 3:47 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    nancyo
    nancyo - too early to tell for me if I'm OVing monthly. Still no smiley face but pretty sure I started testing too late (first month with the sticks). I hate having no idea what my cycles will do from one month to the next, I was like clockwork before cerazette and now having had nothing for years its like being a hormonal teenager again
    Originally posted by afoolandhermoney
    I was on cerazette prior to my 1st pregnancy, I was really worried as I'd heard people taking ages to get back to normal cycles, mine came back right away and I fell pregnant after first natural AF so everyone is different.

Hopefully you just missed it.

CD2 here

Next month we are out too as I'm away abroad without DH at OV time. Ah well.
    Originally posted by Toots14
    Hugs toots, hopefully next time.
    • selement
    • By selement 30th Nov 17, 11:47 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    selement
    Originally posted by afoolandhermoney
    I'm in a very similar situation, came off cerazette in sept, on first cycle now post withdrawal bleed. I was lucky and caught positive opk this cycle so fingers crossed. Will probably keep monitoring next few months if needed.

I was never strictly regular before the pill so the uncertainty although frustrati g isn't new (but it's been probably 8 years since I had a period before this. Can't say I've missed them!)

I'm using ovia and glow, I think i slightly prefer glow.

I'm also taking folic acid but forgetting sometimes... I used to have a pill alarm but don't for this maybe that's why I'm going wrong.

You never know pre AF symptoms are similar to early pregnancy . Fingers crossed!
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 1st Dec 17, 6:34 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,666 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    I'm also taking folic acid but forgetting sometimes... I used to have a pill alarm but don't for this maybe that's why I'm going wrong
    Originally posted by selement
    Have it somewhere really obvious like on dining table. Take them at the same time every day and just make it into a routine.

OH has them in a normal pill packet because they're the higher dose, so she writes the the days on each section so she knows if she's taken it or not.

Or do your alarm thing, that's a good idea.
    Mortgage remaining: £43,140 of £77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target July 17 - £17,960 / £28,000
    • afoolandhermoney
    • By afoolandhermoney 1st Dec 17, 9:33 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    afoolandhermoney
    selement and freddie - I keep them on the bedside table where my pills used to live. Don't know why i can't get into the habit of taking them (or rather keep the habit of taking a glass of water to bed so I can take them). I think its partly rebelling against pill taking in general (I wanted to come off cerazette at the beginning of the year but took til september to get OH on board).

Still blank circles on the OPK (neg on the PG on Wednesday too, will test again tomorrow if no AF as if i'm on a 21 day cycle that's when she's due, otherwise its the following weekend)
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 1st Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Zeni
    afool Im like you, I was great at taking my pill every day, but even though my folic acid pills are in the same place right next to where I eat breakfast I still keep forgetting...I do enjoy the stress of no pill! CD10 so going to start my CB sticks tomorrow and fingers crossed for the next week!
    • selement
    • By selement 1st Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    selement
    Symptom spotting badly today eveb though I know it's much more likely to be pre menstrual symptoms.
    I have had sore breasts most the week and this evening I've felt quite nauseated. Keep getting the odd twinge in my pelvis also but that's not unusual for me but of course I'm reading into it. Trying to wait till 6th to test unless AF gets me earlier
    • Lily_Rose
    • By Lily_Rose 2nd Dec 17, 7:15 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Lily_Rose
    Hi all,

Sorry to those whos AF came, mine came too

Just to let you know, we went to a private consultation and found out that I have a low egg reserve, equivalent to someone that is 8 years older. I am 30 years old. It will be 3 years of trying in March 2018. I've never been pregnant or had a BPT however consultant did advise that low egg count had no bearing on why I've never conceived - unfortunately just "unexplained infertility"

Sloth we are pretty much in the same boat, we are looking to hopefully begin treatment in Jan, due to low egg reserve the medication will cost more, calculated to be around £6500 per treatment (however I'm looking into whether I can get these meds elsewhere to lower the blow!)

If I knew what I know now, I would have started treatment after 1 year of TTC. Each month when AF shows up, it is upsetting but now I know that we are going somewhere I'm not all over the place.

I find BBT and OPKs help pinpoint when I'm ovulating/ovulated, there's usually a day or 2 in it, plus with the EWCM (got my BBT from amazon about £7 and cheapie OPKs from ebay). I use sticks from day 13-16 as I ovulate between 14-16.

Nancyo If you dont get your BFP, I'd book an appt to see the GP

Good luck and baby dust to all x
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 2nd Dec 17, 8:54 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    nancyo
    Hi all,

Sorry to those whos AF came, mine came too

Just to let you know, we went to a private consultation and found out that I have a low egg reserve, equivalent to someone that is 8 years older. I am 30 years old. It will be 3 years of trying in March 2018. I've never been pregnant or had a BPT however consultant did advise that low egg count had no bearing on why I've never conceived - unfortunately just "unexplained infertility"

Sloth we are pretty much in the same boat, we are looking to hopefully begin treatment in Jan, due to low egg reserve the medication will cost more, calculated to be around £6500 per treatment (however I'm looking into whether I can get these meds elsewhere to lower the blow!)

If I knew what I know now, I would have started treatment after 1 year of TTC. Each month when AF shows up, it is upsetting but now I know that we are going somewhere I'm not all over the place.

I find BBT and OPKs help pinpoint when I'm ovulating/ovulated, there's usually a day or 2 in it, plus with the EWCM (got my BBT from amazon about £7 and cheapie OPKs from ebay). I use sticks from day 13-16 as I ovulate between 14-16.

Nancyo If you dont get your BFP, I'd book an appt to see the GP

Good luck and baby dust to all x
    Originally posted by Lily_Rose
    I'm really sorry to hear that, very upsetting. The treatment your are going for is this IVF? I don't no too much about fertility...bits and bobs my older sister had problems ttc and had treatment which worked.

Why do you think I should see GP, the positive ovulation sticks?
    As they were from eBay I might just do another cycle with different ones see what happens. I have been pregnant before I have a 5 year old so I'm not overly worried just yet. May have been a dodgy batch. Also my first natural cycle since stopping birth control.

AF due either yesterday or today...is it day 28 from period? I had mine 4th Nov, when is it due?

I have period tummy today so I'm not holding out hope.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 2nd Dec 17, 9:26 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Thanks for the advice re: OPK’s Selement, Dot and afoolandhermoney. I will leave the OPK’s for now as I am probably someone that they would turn into a crazy lady! If it’s not happened yet for us a couple of months into the new year I will look into it again. I don’t want to put pressure on ourselves yet, and I was hesitant to use OPK’s straight away because I thought they might, so it is useful to know others have felt this way.

Selement – I came off the pill mid-August, but due to work commitments we were careful for the first couple of months. I just wanted to come off as soon as I could as I know it can take some time for your body to ovulate properly when you come off. Last month was the first month we weren’t ‘careful’ but OH was still a little dubious that if we got pregnant the baby would be due after the date we are avoiding, so we didn’t make any effort. This month is our first real month of trying. I use Ovia, and have been logging my cycles since I came off the pill to try and understand my body and my fertile window better.

I have been taking folic acid since I came off the pill. And like a few of you…. I also sometimes forget! Haha I spent 15 years taking my pill like clockwork but I think because there isn’t the same type of consequences to forgetting to take my current meds (I take a couple of other things too) at a specific time I don’t feel the need to make the same effort in the morning! I am going to try and be better though.
    • selement
    • By selement 2nd Dec 17, 9:27 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    selement
    I'm really sorry to hear that, very upsetting. The treatment your are going for is this IVF? I don't no too much about fertility...bits and bobs my older sister had problems ttc and had treatment which worked.

Why do you think I should see GP, the positive ovulation sticks?
    As they were from eBay I might just do another cycle with different ones see what happens. I have been pregnant before I have a 5 year old so I'm not overly worried just yet. May have been a dodgy batch. Also my first natural cycle since stopping birth control.

AF due either yesterday or today...is it day 28 from period? I had mine 4th Nov, when is it due?

I have period tummy today so I'm not holding out hope.
    Originally posted by nancyo
    It depends on your usual cycle length, which I think could have changed since being on pill? 28 days is the average. Or roughly 2 weeks after ovulating (maybe guess day after first positive opk as this?). Cycle starts first day of period. The apps are guessing mine to be 31 or 32 (day out in each) based on when I ovulated I think because I'm sure I put into the apps a guess of 32 or 33 day cycle. Way back when I had periods before the pill mine varied 30-35 days roughly
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 2nd Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    nancyo
    I'm CD29 today with 17DPO (1st positive stick). I tested yesterday morning BFN.
    I've had usual cramps, for around a week, increase in headaches and my usual "clear out" this morning. So I'm sure AF will appear later today.
    I've actually only been to the loo twice this morning for the fear of wiping red...
    • Zeni
    • By Zeni 2nd Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Zeni
    nancyo finger crossed for you. That last sentence is so dead on, that feeling of every time going to the loo praying you won't see it is really horrible.
    • nancyo
    • By nancyo 3rd Dec 17, 7:25 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    nancyo
    Well I am officially one day late, possibly two, still no AF but a BFN for me this morning. CD30
    Used a tesco test, I'm sure I read on here not to use blue dye, I didn't actually find that out until I'd peed on it 😂
    I am not buy anymore for at least 3 days.

I have all my AF symptoms just no blood to go yet.

Anyone get an luck?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin