Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pennineparkies
    • By Pennineparkies 10th Apr 16, 12:06 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Pennineparkies
    MOT reminder inadvertently subscribed(and charged for)
    • 10th Apr 16, 12:06 AM
    MOT reminder inadvertently subscribed(and charged for) 10th Apr 16 at 12:06 AM
    I checked on Internet whether my car's MOT was due and thought was doing this via . GOV site, but was via 3rd party(surestream digital /vehicleinformation.uk) and I agreed to terms and conditions. I then sent the pin number they emailed. They sent me a reminder about mot and tax and informed me that I was being charged for this (£5). Also said I've waived right to 14 day cooling off in the conditions. To cancel text STOP to 85199. I do want to cancel. I'll give up £5 as a lesson learned, but is that text (a) going to be free (b) will it really result in them going away? Your help much appreciated
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 10th Apr 16, 1:14 AM
    • 7,215 Posts
    • 6,236 Thanks
    bris
    • 10th Apr 16, 1:14 AM
    • 10th Apr 16, 1:14 AM
    Yes, STOP is the mandatory message to end these texts. Keep hold of it as proof for your service provider if they don't stop.
    • Pennineparkies
    • By Pennineparkies 10th Apr 16, 6:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pennineparkies
    • 10th Apr 16, 6:42 AM
    • 10th Apr 16, 6:42 AM
    Thanks for advice which I'll follow.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Apr 16, 7:33 AM
    • 15,745 Posts
    • 11,593 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 10th Apr 16, 7:33 AM
    • 10th Apr 16, 7:33 AM
    In fairness to the company, imho I think it's made quite clear on their first page that they are a company who charge. They don't try to mimic a government agency, so I don't see how you got that confused or how you" inadvertantly

https://vehicleinformation.uk

Once you send them your phone number you then get this message on the same page

By clicking the agree button, you agree to the full terms and conditions, that you are 16+ and you will be charged to your mobile account. The service starts immediately and your right to cancel is waived. You will be shown the due date of your MOT and tax for the vehicle registration you have entered. We will send you alert reminders by text message before your MOT and tax are due. You can stop the service at any time by texting the word stop to 85199. Service provided by Surestream Digital (call customer service on 02381 010 505).

It's clear you've just immediately ticked agree and continue without reading those terms which are directly below
    Last edited by hollydays; 10-04-2016 at 8:09 AM.
    • Pennineparkies
    • By Pennineparkies 10th Apr 16, 8:37 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Pennineparkies
    • 10th Apr 16, 8:37 AM
    • 10th Apr 16, 8:37 AM
    Thanks for taking time to add to post. The purpose of my original post was not to highlight injustice, but just to make sure I was taking the right action to stop them taking more money from me. Like I said it is a lesson learned. I am not keen on a company who charges for something that is free by other routes, and is not really adding any value to the situation.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Apr 16, 10:21 AM
    • 8,868 Posts
    • 13,587 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th Apr 16, 10:21 AM
    • 10th Apr 16, 10:21 AM
    No, but it might be helpful for the next person that reads this thread.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • s b
    • By s b 10th Apr 16, 2:46 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 2,342 Thanks
    s b
    • 10th Apr 16, 2:46 PM
    • 10th Apr 16, 2:46 PM
    Thanks for taking time to add to post. The purpose of my original post was not to highlight injustice, but just to make sure I was taking the right action to stop them taking more money from me. Like I said it is a lesson learned. I am not keen on a company who charges for something that is free by other routes, and is not really adding any value to the situation.
    Originally posted by Pennineparkies
    were all doomed then
    • Davesteb
    • By Davesteb 1st Aug 16, 7:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Davesteb
    • 1st Aug 16, 7:48 AM
    • 1st Aug 16, 7:48 AM
    TBF it does look a bit like the Gov site. Google doesn't return the Gov site when you enter your reg no and 'Road tax'. I used it in error this morning, remembering that I'd used the Gov site free before so I was confident I could proceed without getting charged. I didn't see a tick box, but entered my mobile no and saw that I'd be subsequently charged if I returned a pin code they send me. I wised up and didn't do this, but I can't prove I didn't do something.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 1st Aug 16, 8:14 AM
    • 19,170 Posts
    • 14,831 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 1st Aug 16, 8:14 AM
    • 1st Aug 16, 8:14 AM
    Google doesn't return the Gov site when you enter your reg no and 'Road tax'.
    Originally posted by Davesteb
    When I do it what I get back is this message:

Your search - xxzzyyy road tax - did not match any documents.
    Suggestions:
    • Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
    • Try different keywords.
    • Try more general keywords.
    • Try fewer keywords.

And then gives a few links clearly marked as adverts.
    • takman
    • By takman 1st Aug 16, 5:13 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 2,591 Thanks
    takman
    TBF it does look a bit like the Gov site. Google doesn't return the Gov site when you enter your reg no and 'Road tax'. I used it in error this morning, remembering that I'd used the Gov site free before so I was confident I could proceed without getting charged. I didn't see a tick box, but entered my mobile no and saw that I'd be subsequently charged if I returned a pin code they send me. I wised up and didn't do this, but I can't prove I didn't do something.
    Originally posted by Davesteb
    Why would you search for your registration number in Google! and it look nothing like the government website at all!. Plus why would the government need your mobile number to check a cars road tax status?.
    • cadguy
    • By cadguy 26th Dec 16, 8:25 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cadguy
    is there anything you can do to challenge this ?

its £10 for the signup.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 26th Dec 16, 8:53 PM
    • 18,653 Posts
    • 15,557 Thanks
    wealdroam

its £10 for the signup.
    Originally posted by cadguy
    Challenge what?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 26th Dec 16, 9:31 PM
    • 30,615 Posts
    • 19,363 Thanks
    DCFC79

its £10 for the signup.
    Originally posted by cadguy
    Don't tell me you signed up at the vehicleinformation.uk site ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 26-12-2016 at 9:36 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • stuffthescammers
    • By stuffthescammers 21st Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stuffthescammers
    Mr
    I contacted the Phone Paid Services Authority and got this reply meaning that people who were misled like me by this service can get a refund if they make a valid claim.

I write in reference to your complaint relating to the service operating on the shortcode 60076, and the outcome of our investigation.
    After thoroughly examining the evidence the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA) identified the service to be operating in breach of our Code of Practice.
    Breaches Identified:
    • Pricing rule 2.2.7
    “ In the course of any promotion of a PRS, written or spoken in any medium, the cost must be included before any purchase is made and must be prominent, clearly legible, visible and proximate to the premium rate telephone number, shortcode or other means of access to the service.”
    • Rule 2.2.1
    “ Consumers of PRS must be fully and clearly informed of all information likely to influence the decision to purchase, including the cost, before any purchase is made.”
    On this occasion the PSA has taken the decision to deal with this matter using our informal procedure and allow the provider to rectify the issues raised.
    The PSA is satisfied the provider has now rectified these issues and the service is operating compliantly.
    Refund Claims
    The provider has agreed to provide refunds to consumers who make a valid claim. Should you wish to discuss a refund you will need to contact the provider directly. Please note you may be asked to provide a copy of your phone bill highlighting the relevant premium rate charges before a refund is issued.
    Provider Details:
    Post: Surestream Digital Limited, St Stephens House, Arthur Road, Windsor, SL4 1RU
    Email: support@vehicleinformation.uk
    Phone number: 0808 178 5349
    If you have any further questions or information about your complaint, please contact our helpline on 0300 30 300 20 between 9.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Please ensure you have your case reference number to hand before calling.
    Kind regards,

The Phone-paid Services Authority
    • Heatherlucy66
    • By Heatherlucy66 6th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Heatherlucy66
    I've done the same thing and I'm always telling people to be careful! I've asked for my refund, they've said I've hot yo ho and collect it from the Post Office??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,229Posts Today

9,103Users online

Martin's Twitter