Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 5th Apr 16, 3:11 PM
    • 4,629Posts
    • 10,307Thanks
    rosie383
    Gas or induction cheapest to run?
    • 5th Apr 16, 3:11 PM
    Gas or induction cheapest to run? 5th Apr 16 at 3:11 PM
    We are choosing a new hob this week and have always gone for gas due to running costs.
    Two different kitchen places have now told us that induction is much cheaper to run now especially with the relative increase in gas prices.
    Has anyone got one? We are concerned that we would go for induction then regret it. Apparently they are much better than they were ten years ago as the technology has improved so much. We are planning to have a capped off gas supply run into the kitchen anyway in case we, or future owners, wish to switch back. Any thoughts welcome.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
Page 2
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Apr 16, 3:38 PM
    • 8,023 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Is that really an issue for anyone?

Sometimes things get to a point where they are so easy that there is no need to make them easier.
    Originally posted by lstar337

After using electric for many years, I found having to use two hands to ignite a gas hob rather annoying, as it meant putting down any item being held.

Not a big issue, but another item in favour of electric hobs.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 14th Apr 16, 3:42 PM
    • 8,023 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I think you are referring to conventional electric hobs - not induction hobs.
    Originally posted by Cardew

I haven't used my induction hob yet, so assumed it would be the same as the present halogen hob, but know my husband won't be reprimanding me for putting a pan on too large a ring, as induction only heats the metal contact area.
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 14th Apr 16, 4:56 PM
    • 20,599 Posts
    • 17,208 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    After using electric for many years, I found having to use two hands to ignite a gas hob rather annoying, as it meant putting down any item being held.

Not a big issue, but another item in favour of electric hobs.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Two hands? For the last 30 years or so I've auto-ignition gas hobs. Just turn it on and the burner lights itself. That one also had auto-reignition. However, the last gas hob I installed had a flame failure device to turn the gas off if the flame goes out.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • macman
    • By macman 14th Apr 16, 6:35 PM
    • 41,100 Posts
    • 16,851 Thanks
    macman
    I don't dispute that an induction hob is more efficient, but I can't see how this would possibly make it cheaper, given that you will typically be paying 250% more per kWh for electricity than gas if on a single rate meter. If you are on E7 the gap is even wider, unless you happen to do all your cooking after midnight.
    Electric heating is likewise more efficient than gas CH, but that doesn't make it cheaper to run, because the fuel cost is so much higher. Two different things.
    Many people certainly prefer induction hobs for the various reasons given above, but the OP's specific question was whether they are cheaper to run.
    Having said all that, the proportion of your annual energy usage accounted for by a hob is relatively tiny-you'd save much more by turning the CH down 1C than by choosing a cheaper to run hob.
    Last edited by macman; 14-04-2016 at 6:38 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 14th Apr 16, 7:00 PM
    • 26,716 Posts
    • 12,920 Thanks
    Cardew
    I don't dispute that an induction hob is more efficient, but I can't see how this would possibly make it cheaper, given that you will typically be paying 250% more per kWh for electricity than gas if on a single rate meter.

Originally posted by macman

This has been discussed before and IIRC someone found a report favouring induction.

Whilst gas is cheaper, there is a huge amount of heat loss into the hob and utensils. I would wager also that with gas you will spend far more on cleaning materials, than any potential savings.

However as you say cooking on a hob by either method is cheap and a few percentage points either way hardly matters.
    • T Watts
    • By T Watts 12th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    T Watts
    From a physics point of view, gas has approx 40% efficient transfer to the pan, induction has approx 80% efficient transfer to the pan. However gas is approx 3x cheaper than electricity per unit of heat. This makes gas cooking 2/3 (66%) the cost of induction cooking.
    An advantage or disadvantage of induction is that there is less waste heat- 20% waste for induction vs 60% wasted for gas (so that's 3x more waste heat with gas). If you are running a hot industrial kitchen then waste heat can be an issue. However, if it's winter and you want to heat your house anyway then the waste heat is welcome.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 12th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    phillw
    However, if it's winter and you want to heat your house anyway then the waste heat is welcome.
    Originally posted by T Watts
    Some people close their kitchen door to avoid the cooking smells from going through the house & then open a window to stop the kitchen from turning into a sauna. It can turn into a bigger argument than following someone round the house turning off light and power switches behind them.
    • DAV1962
    • By DAV1962 14th Apr 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DAV1962
    this thread is inspiring
    • reeac
    • By reeac 15th Apr 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    reeac
    Induction is good but its only good for certain type of food and for the western pallete. Asian food does not cook well on it as asian foods needs to be thoroughly cooked.
    Originally posted by Londoner_1
    Heat is heat, whatever the source.... the food won't know what the source is.
    • T Watts
    • By T Watts 19th Apr 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    T Watts
    From the analysis above it's clear that gas is still cheaper to run than induction. Gas is 2/3 the running cost of induction. Or to put it the opposite way around, induction costs 50% more to run than gas.

If you don't have mains gas, or your kitchen gets too hot, get induction.
    If you do have mains gas, use it. It's still the cheapest.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 19th Apr 17, 11:10 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Pincher
    Don't forget, you can have BOTH.

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/cooking/hobs/gas-induction/_/N-admZ1z0dnb2
    • Aaron3195
    • By Aaron3195 21st Apr 17, 9:58 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Aaron3195
    I've stuck with Gas, it has come in handy during power cuts when you need a cuppa made. Plus it doesn't even clock 1p on the meter when cooking baked beans for 5 minutes, so never gave any thought to switching to anything better.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 21st Apr 17, 12:31 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Switching on is also easier, as you just turn a knob instead of needing to also work the ignition
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    That's all I do with my new gas hob, do any not have automatic ignition and also auto cut out on flame off anymore? (I went for the cheap end of the market).

Would have considered induction but OH has a pacemaker and is not allowed near em!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,057Users online

Martin's Twitter