Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chel23
    • By Chel23 3rd Apr 16, 8:23 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Chel23
    0 WOW
    How much do you spend on food?
    • 3rd Apr 16, 8:23 PM
    0 WOW
    How much do you spend on food? 3rd Apr 16 at 8:23 PM
    Good Evening,

How much do you spend on food per person in your household?

Thanks,
    Chelsie
Page 9
    • *niptuckfan*
    • By *niptuckfan* 16th May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    *niptuckfan*
    Grocery Budget
    HI All

do you have a set weekly/monthly food budget or just try to keep as low as possible? i see myself as a good shopper, shop around try brands buy reduced etc but do feel there is room for improvement (wanting to save for mortgage deposit)

we are family of 2 adults, 1 15month old and an 11 year old every weekend.

Think i shall start by adding up my recent spends and see what i am actually spending - anyone care to share their family size/weekly spends?
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

• anajames
    • By anajames 17th May 17, 2:51 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    anajames
    Around 20 pounds a week or so.
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 17th May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 13,130 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    I budget £80 a month, which is for myself & sometimes my daughter, though she tends to sort her n her boyfriend their own stuff, though I buy the cleaning stuff, etc. Tend to come in something under that though, £60 sometimes and this month I am at £32(ish) - its on my signature. I am part of the grocery challenge most months, its here for anyone interested in taking part, you just say your amount and report back spends (if you want to). They have a massive recipe list also at beginning of challenge. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5630670
    GC September £54.46/£60, Alcohol £10.75/£20, Bulk Buy £45.26
    Save 12k in 2017 #132 = £1,900/£5,000 (38%)
    KonMari: Clothes, Wardrobe, Drawers, shoes, bags, Papers
    Bedding, Books, Toiletries,Bric a Brac, Kitchen, Pantry

• Blibble
    • By Blibble 21st May 17, 11:56 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Blibble
    Anywhere between £20 & £30 in total per week for 22 & 23 y/o adults, depending on how many top-up shops we fall prey to and how much wine we fancy ...
    • harebellsinenfield
    • By harebellsinenfield 28th May 17, 11:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    harebellsinenfield
    I budget £200-300 a month for 1-2 adults (I live by myself, but my sister usually stays 2 days a week, OH stays 5 days). £200 out in cash on pay day, £100 in my current account.

I don't really break it down per person, I just roughly try to keep my spend to £30 with the freedom to go higher if someone in the house fancies an indulgent treat.

Anything left over from cash goes into the Christmas tin, anything left over in the current account is siphoned off into savings as a nice little extra payment to the regular savings I make.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 29th May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    I live on my own.

So far in 2017 it has worked out that, for food (not other household items), I've spent an average of £1.79/day which has covered a couple of decent restaurant meals in the early part of the year and 11 main courses from my work's kitchen.
    I don't buy much meat these days and almost all by bread is YS reductions. However I am using up stock (like dried pasta and tinned soups) from when there were 2 of us living in the house last year but that would only account for about £1 a week as it's not much.
    Last edited by anamenottaken; 29-05-2017 at 7:49 PM.
    • tinyrunner
    • By tinyrunner 21st Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tinyrunner
    I live on my own, and I spend somewhere between £12 - £18 per week on food (including lunches for work). I normally buy a few varieties of fresh fruit/veg and one type of meat each week - I freeze a lot of meat so meals remain varied.
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 22nd Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    Me, the wife and 11mth old = £90/wk
    • I'm not going into
    • By I'm not going into 31st Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    I'm not going into
    Myself and my husband budget £100 per week. That doesn't necessarily always cover toiletries though.
    We do our shopping online with Ocado (I have a severe anxiety anxiety disorder) so going into a supermarket can sometimes be hell.
    We are actually saving money with Ocado than we were with Asda and Tesco (substitutes)!

I have in the last couple of weeks began a 'toilet roll week' or 'butter/coffee' week as these tend to be a little expensive sometimes.

Our cat food is bought from www.zooplus.co.uk which is £57.99 for 10kg every 2 months (or so)
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 1st Aug 17, 7:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    atrixa
    When I was shopping predominantly with Sainsburys a few months ago (for one single person) it was between £150-180 per month (who knows where that much was going?!). I switched to the budget supermarkets and now it's around £110 per month.

Probably worth mentioning that this includes lunches and snacks for work and I'm veggie
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Aug 17, 3:41 PM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,951 Thanks
    JackieO
    July was a pretty good month and I spent a touch over £48.00 for the full month's shopping, and still have a good bit of fresh food in the fridge for this month, so plenty of NSD's for me this month ,plus in two weeks time I am away on holiday for a fortnight, so I am using up as much of the stuff indoors as I can anyway
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Nictom80
    • By Nictom80 8th Aug 17, 5:53 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Nictom80
    Between £25-£40 per week for myself. Usually £40 on my first food shop after payday where I stock up on things like pasta, tinned tomatoes, porridge etc as needed. Then £25-£30 per week the rest of the month.

I take in all my food for work so this includes every meal, I never buy any extra for work.
    I never order takeaways and rarely eat out.
    I am pretty health conscious so not convenience/processed food for me, and I do a lot of cooking from scratch
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Aug 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6,442 Posts
    • 36,755 Thanks
    determined new ms
    our budget is £180 pcm for 2 adults and a 4 yo. Mostly it's under that by £20-30 but sometimes over. that includes alcohol
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2839.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 6/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 23rd Aug 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    £100 a month for 3 people?
    From this month I'm on a tight budget. I've cut down everything that I can, but obviously some costs are fixed.
    If I can spend just £100 this month on food for 2 adults and a child its really going to help, but I don't know if its realistic?
    There is quite a bit already in the cupboard / freezer and none of us eat lunch at home during the week. I figure if I shop alone and make good choices it might work. I'm kind of excited to challenge myself but maybe £100 is too tight? Do you think its doable?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,566Posts Today

8,536Users online

Martin's Twitter