Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chel23
    • By Chel23 3rd Apr 16, 8:23 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Chel23
    0 WOW
    How much do you spend on food?
    • 3rd Apr 16, 8:23 PM
    0 WOW
    How much do you spend on food? 3rd Apr 16 at 8:23 PM
    Good Evening,

How much do you spend on food per person in your household?

Thanks,
    Chelsie
Page 9
    • *niptuckfan*
    • By *niptuckfan* 16th May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    *niptuckfan*
    Grocery Budget
    HI All

do you have a set weekly/monthly food budget or just try to keep as low as possible? i see myself as a good shopper, shop around try brands buy reduced etc but do feel there is room for improvement (wanting to save for mortgage deposit)

we are family of 2 adults, 1 15month old and an 11 year old every weekend.

Think i shall start by adding up my recent spends and see what i am actually spending - anyone care to share their family size/weekly spends?
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

• anajames
    • By anajames 17th May 17, 2:51 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    anajames
    Around 20 pounds a week or so.
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 17th May 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 12,750 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    I budget £80 a month, which is for myself & sometimes my daughter, though she tends to sort her n her boyfriend their own stuff, though I buy the cleaning stuff, etc. Tend to come in something under that though, £60 sometimes and this month I am at £32(ish) - its on my signature. I am part of the grocery challenge most months, its here for anyone interested in taking part, you just say your amount and report back spends (if you want to). They have a massive recipe list also at beginning of challenge. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5630670
    G/C - June £46.37/£80, Alcohol £5.50/£20, GC Overflow £18
    Save 12k in 2017 #132 = £1,800/£5,000 (36%)
    KonMari: Clothes, Wardrobe, Drawers, shoes, bags, Papers
    Bedding, Books, Toiletries,Bric a Brac, Kitchen, Pantry
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 21st May 17, 11:56 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Blibble
    Anywhere between £20 & £30 in total per week for 22 & 23 y/o adults, depending on how many top-up shops we fall prey to and how much wine we fancy ...
    • harebellsinenfield
    • By harebellsinenfield 28th May 17, 11:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    harebellsinenfield
    I budget £200-300 a month for 1-2 adults (I live by myself, but my sister usually stays 2 days a week, OH stays 5 days). £200 out in cash on pay day, £100 in my current account.

I don't really break it down per person, I just roughly try to keep my spend to £30 with the freedom to go higher if someone in the house fancies an indulgent treat.

Anything left over from cash goes into the Christmas tin, anything left over in the current account is siphoned off into savings as a nice little extra payment to the regular savings I make.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 29th May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    I live on my own.

So far in 2017 it has worked out that, for food (not other household items), I've spent an average of £1.79/day which has covered a couple of decent restaurant meals in the early part of the year and 11 main courses from my work's kitchen.
    I don't buy much meat these days and almost all by bread is YS reductions. However I am using up stock (like dried pasta and tinned soups) from when there were 2 of us living in the house last year but that would only account for about £1 a week as it's not much.
    Last edited by anamenottaken; 29-05-2017 at 7:49 PM.
    • tinyrunner
    • By tinyrunner 21st Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tinyrunner
    I live on my own, and I spend somewhere between £12 - £18 per week on food (including lunches for work). I normally buy a few varieties of fresh fruit/veg and one type of meat each week - I freeze a lot of meat so meals remain varied.
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 22nd Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    Me, the wife and 11mth old = £90/wk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,599Posts Today

6,692Users online

Martin's Twitter