Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackfish
    • By blackfish 2nd Apr 16, 10:30 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    blackfish
    Unexpected request to confirm tax residency - Halifax
    • 2nd Apr 16, 10:30 AM
    Unexpected request to confirm tax residency - Halifax 2nd Apr 16 at 10:30 AM
    I have received a letter from Halifax: "Confirm where you are resident for tax purposes" plus a form to fill in and return: "Tax residency self-certification for individuals and sole traders".

Letter purports to be from Halifax PO Box 548 Leeds LS1 1WU.

The gist of the letter/form is that I need to tell them my "Country [or countries] of Residence for Tax Purposes" since 01-July-2014 (apparently some law of disclosure came into force then) so that they can share information between countries such that correct taxes are paid.

Requested information is name, adresss, DOB, "TIN" (it says that means NI number for UK citizens) and countries of residence with from/to dates.

They have not cited any of my (several) account numbers so I don't know which account(s) have triggered this [if it is genuine of course].

Envelope for return of form is addressed to Tax Compliance Service Centre, PO Box 7082, Willenhall, WV1 9AD. It has a Business Reply Plus Licence Number RTTK-HSUA-XEAR

Thing is, while I do have have current and savings accounts with Halifax and did open a new on-line savings account with them about a year ago (significant amount - pension lump-sum) there is nothing to suggest that I am other than life-long UK citizen (born here as were my parents and all of my grandparents) or that I have invested the money overseas.

The letter says if I don't reply by 17-May-2016 they may need to pass my details to the appropriate tax authorities. There's a phone number 0345 850 9064 but I don't know whether that's genuine (can't see it on the Halifax website page for contacts).

Any ideas what this is about? Suppose I need to go into a branch (and be told: "Yes, you just need to fill it in and post it") but thought I'd post here first to see whether I'm alone in this.
Page 13
    • EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 16th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    EdSwippet
    A US citizen is always a US resident for US tax purposes. Residence has very specific meaning for tax purposes. A 4 year old born in the UK who has never visited the USA could still be US tax resident.
    Originally posted by Cook_County
    Please explain how.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Outlined in the Wiki page on 'Accidental Americans'. US tax law is 'extraterritorial' and does not conform to international norms.

One predictable consequence of this nonsense is that US citizens living outside the US are regularly "neglecting" to formally register children born outside the US -- and who qualify for US citizenship -- with the US consulate.

Registering a US citizen child with the consulate can be done later as an afterthought. If useful or needed, and providing that enough paperwork is available, that is. But once done it cannot easily be undone. (The only way to undo it is 'renunciation', and that won't be possible until the child reaches the age of 16 to 18 or so. It cannot be done by a parent or guardian, only the person themselves. It is also costly, currently $2,350 per person.)

Conversely, holding US citizenship while living permanently in another country is usually a millstone rather than a benefit. By not registering birth abroad with the US consulate, any problems for the child from an unwanted US citizenship taint can either be avoided entirely. Or at minimum postponed for years or perhaps decades, until the child is old enough to decide for himself or herself whether or not holding US citizenship is worth the aggravations.
    Last edited by EdSwippet; 16-09-2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Clarity, completeness.
    • PAUL7331
    • By PAUL7331 25th Sep 17, 6:04 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    PAUL7331
    I too have just had this letter. So to confirm, can you just log in to halifax online banking and confirm you are a UK resident on there and that's it, job done?
    • Dunbar63
    • By Dunbar63 31st Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dunbar63
    Is it only related to the US?
    I have received the same letter from Natwest and have no connection to the USA. I have connections to Ireland though.

Do we need to reply?
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 31st Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    Cook_County
    I have received the same letter from Natwest and have no connection to the USA. I have connections to Ireland though.

Do we need to reply?
    Originally posted by Dunbar63
    No. There is no legal obligation.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 1st Nov 17, 3:28 AM
    • 951 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    badmemory

Do we need to reply?
    Originally posted by Dunbar63
    Please read the letter carefully as some say that they will close the account if you fail to comply!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,629Posts Today

10,170Users online

Martin's Twitter