Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 1,884Posts
    • 12,640Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 22
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,789 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    My mother has a way of making me feel like she is Hyacinth Bucket and I am her scruffy sister that they all look down on. I love her to bits but I think I'm a disappointment to her because I make do and mend rather than spending money all of the time.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 12,640 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    My mother has a way of making me feel like she is Hyacinth Bucket and I am her scruffy sister that they all look down on. I love her to bits but I think I'm a disappointment to her because I make do and mend rather than spending money all of the time.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Totally agree CCL (not that you’re the scruffy sister) mine seems to think that as I don’t spend all my time shopping in high end stores I’m just not ‘right’! That and the fact I don’t want to do things like go abroad for a week without my children she really couldn’t get that one. Their latest instalment is one of their finer moments though I’m just choosing not to have any unnecessary contact to save my sanity

In other news, several things sold on fleabay, reslisted the rest. House tidy, including some sorting in the spare room meaning I can get the airer in there although there has been lots of opportunities to peg out this week that have made me happy.

Tried the homemade mango chutney today. Was lovely, much better than I thought. I’d definitely make again, particularly if I can get cheap frozen mango or ys mango. Made lots of other baking things too, freezer is packed, so it’s back to freezer jenga lots of lovely meals to be had though and some new ones as deliberately ordered a box that had a couple of items in I wouldn’t normally buy.

Managed a quality night out wth DH this wee too which was nice and also prepaid so can’t complain. One week until payday, should be able to get to the line ok.

Happy days.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 12,640 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Another busy week, seems never ended and so glad we got to the weekend in tack. Confession time, we had a takeaway last night. However, first one in ages, in fact, I think it’s the first one this year so it’s not like we’re at it all the time. It was amazing too

All pots topped up after payday, happy days. EF at 77% of target and everything else looking fine. Had a repayment of a savings account from work, half to savings and half to debt repayment, so savings outside of EF also looking healthy.

In house news, we’ve finished stripping the last bit of walk behind the tv in the bedroom and taken off all the skirting so it’s ready for the plasterer on Monday. Just our bed to move out tomorrow, I think we’re going to squeeze it into the lounge for a days.

We’re off out tomorrow using our annual passes. Will take a picnic, just parking to pay which is fine, still a cheap day. Will get something out for tea before we go.

Whole week off work, looking forward to some quality time with family
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin