Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    • 1,832Posts
    • 12,312Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means
    • 1st Apr 16, 9:34 PM
    Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means 1st Apr 16 at 9:34 PM
    I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often )

So pull up a pew, grab a or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me
Page 18
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Nearly another working week over Have to admit to skiving a bit today, was working from home and planned to pop out and do a couple of jobs, including taking some money from BS and paying in to bank, which has been on my to do list for ages. Also got lots of fruit from the market at amazing prices and posted a fleabay item. All good. Had an appointment where someone asked me a question out of the blue, that I wasn't expecting and it knocked me for 6. I came home and didn't feel up to much at all..... I did check my e-mails and made some calls but if I'm honest I napped for an hour I do feel better now and am going out for a long walk later.

Banks looking healthier, we have managed to spend next to nothing this week and DH gets paid from job 1 tomorrow. No idea when he'll get job 2 pay, he's there today, so see if he knows. Managed to cash out 1 £co and been notified of another and £10 expenses that i paid cash for when the machine wouldn't work have been re-imbursed so that has gone staright to the 1p challenge. Now have over £460 in that account so at 61% of annual amount with less than 50% of year gone As the amount is still reducing by 1p per day, I will easily make the full year - it will be very nice to have a stash of £667 at year end

Need to make a decision about sharesave at work, I have one ending so was just going to reinvest same amount plus a bit to ever increase my monthly savings, but worked out one of the previous years is likely not going to be worth anything 'extra' do I cancel and invest that too?!? Decisions, decisions....

YS gammon for tea - may go wild and have an egg too feeling like comfort food so may have HM chips and beans to go with

Done some chores early doors to:

Booked boiler service (included in annual boiler cover)
    Booked builder to come next Wednesday
    Called utility to provider to see why I haven't had a bill for 7 weeks and to ask them to update the tariff on my smart meter, if it's wrong it kinda defeats the object. (i know it's all relative but... I like things to be right )
    Managed some washing outside, will need finishing off on the airier, but dirty pile much smaller than this morning
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Well, weekend slightly dampened by me having food poisoning have to say I'm not sure I've ever felt so ill. Thankfully today I feel better, still not 100% and needed a significant nap this afternoon on a plus side, all spends very low this weekend

Need to get on with some tasks when I feel up to it tomorrow or Tuesday, I have a couple of manky bananas and can't face putting them in the freezer with the load that are already in there. We're not massive fans of normal banana bread (tastes too much of overripe bananas ) then the lovely fortune posted a recipe on her page she'd made. I've made it ages ago but totally forgotten about it. So they'll still be manky tomorrow, so I'll make it then

Tilly tidied £1.90 to my LPDF today

Utilities have requested readings so do those tomorrow. We still have quite a full freezer, so will plan meals for next week and a bit until get paid from there and just get fresh stuff. Then possibly a mu$cle food order or Campbell's meat for payday or thereabouts for next months meat.

Will make up some overnight oats for the week shortly as I think I'll feel like eating tomorrow and I have some fruit to use up.

Managed to get two loads of washing outside and dried today and load of whites to go on tonight meaning baskets are empty

Going to ask my sister if I can borrow her copy of economy gastronomy Brizzle inspired for some food reductions (one of our biggest spends). Good news is that we've managed to stall our spending and it's not going up, and some months are better than others but £50 off a month would be a great start. DH and I are going to go ys shopping one or two nights a week to see if that helps.

Right, off to check some surveys and them bed for me.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Ok, progress made on the food front:
    Sister didn't have book, so placed a hold on it at the library, cost 20p to hold it but hope that I can recover that back in something from the book
    Have made an list of everything in freezer apart from bread products
    I've then meal planned from list - so far have about 22 meals that just require veg/ staples to go with them
    Found two chutney recipes to make wth frozen fruit. Will put some in present box
    I've found some recipes for some lunch box/snack staples
    I made a banana, date, honey and walnut loaf with a couple of manky bananas

Food costs this month so far are under control, hoping the above will help further.

Interest from annual saver due 27th. Need to make a decision tomorrow about sharesave at work, don't know whether to stick, twist or split the difference

Got stuck in a survey as I didn't have flash player and couldn't download. Will see if it's still available on a different device tomorrow.

I've got vaguely organised and ordered smalls name tags for when they start school, hopefully little or no uniform required - but will need naming. Already splashed out on a 2nd hand dress from school shop for £1 will need shoes though.

Also treated DH to some trainers, will come from present pot as they'll be for his birthday. Both purchases I went through £co
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 28,585 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hope that you're feeling better soon PF - I had food poisoning about 20 years ago and still remember it vividly...
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What a long week that was.... Glad it's Friday, even if it does mean a busy weekend - however, it means no work so

Trainers have arrived for DH and they're lovely, hope he likes them too. Dropped card at DF ready for Sunday. We were going to see FIL but they tell us they are going away, so his card will have to wait. Restricted both to a very small gift from present pot. And said no to going halves on a big present with sibling
    Tonight's tea is last nights that we didn't get round to eating. So far having a list of what's in there is working, am crossing off as I go. DH and I also talked about not having a full blown 'meal' every night and sometimes having a light meal - this also reduces costs (and waistline )
    Used a variety of bread ends to make a bread pudding. Over half went back, cut up in portions in the freezer this never happens
    Will plan what we are actually going to eat from the list for the next week and see if I need to get anything
    £4 spent in market on 3 types of soft fruit and some cherry toms
    4 x £6 off £30 spend through from a supermarket - might be worth a gander at 20% discount
    One week to payday and things looks ok (ssshhhh) managed a few TT this week
    The weekend is meant to be nice so can see a BBQ or two coming on (my smalls would live on chicken and sausage given half a chance) - enjoy the sunshine peeps.
    Builder coming tonight - fingers crossed it's a good'en
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Builder came and we like him very much. Seemed normal and asked some good questions and gave us some food for thought, also gave us the name of someone for plans I feel progress happening.

Sunshine is so good for the soul. Lovely having windows and doors open to let fresh air circulate. DH did some gardening yesterday, I'll do some more today whilst he takes eldest to a party. Then we'll go,out for a family picnic. Will make tomorrow's packed lunch whilst I do the picnic

Washing will be up to date by end of the day. Was hoping for a run but think even the gym maybe too warm today. May try a sneaky bike ride later when it's cool.

Going to do some number crunching tonight to see what we can achieve with some overpayments and also what our mortgage will look like in a year when it's up for renewal and what we can do to reduce term whilst borrowing the final bit for the extension. I've also a weeks holiday in a couple of weeks and want to plan what I can realistically achieve so it's not wasted.
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 18-06-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Didn't go out in the end, just too hot. Enjoyed a lovely day round the house and garden instead, had a picnic at home. Managed to get the last of my plants in, probably left some a few days too long but given them a good watering and we'll see.

Took a dead bush out of the front garden, looks lots better. Makes me want to finish it off though. Really want a fence, good news is it won't cost much as it's not a big length we need as it's only across the front. Need to take out two more bushes to do it though. Also figure out how best to put in the fence posts. Feel a YouTube watch coming on
    Think will have some money in 'home' pot in August unless there is anything left from money set aside for wardrobes.

If I can get wardrobes next weekend I'll put them up when I'm off which would be good use of my time. Will then be able to strip rest of our room and the spare room once I've sold 2 chest of drawers and 2 bedside tables. If nothing else I'll paint the hall and landing whilst I'm off.

Looked at some numbers, will continue to grow the LPDF as much a possible, with a stash for house stuff too. Will keep in high interest rate whilst I can as long as it's higher than the mortgage rate. Mortgage should be below next key milestone at remortgage but will go the other way when we borrow for the extension. Need to save as much as possible to keep borrowing to minimum. Focusing on the small things to make big things happen.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 19th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Eldest small did about saving water at school today and bought a card hard where she could pledge to do certain things to save water very went online (from the card) and ordered a timer for the shower, leak detection tablets, fat trapper and a couple of other things. All free

An unexpected cheque arrived in the post for the grand total of £2.32. From when we left BG 2 years ago they wouldn't cash the last one for some reason, I carried it round for ages, lost it, found it and then they wouldn't cash it. Better luck with this one I hope

Tea was use up in a chicken Caesar - very yummy too need to plan childcare to cover the first two weeks smallest starts school. Bit of juggling to say the least.

Really would like a greenhouse. Had a thought today that in the short term we could loose the (past it's best) shed albeit that it would face out on the road but think I can live with that. Having said that, I'd need to move it when we knocked down for the extension but it would give me longer time to plan where it could go in the back garden. Not sure if it's more trouble than it's worth or just have it in its final resting place from the start. More food for thought.

Food spends are joyously low this month, must make sure I don't blow it next week when I've been paid
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 19th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 34,191 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Love it PF - you're sounding so chipper, especially after food poisoning Never nice.

You're so right - sunshine is so good for the soul..ditto use ups (left overs!) Taking them to work for lunch again tomorrow...so easy to assemble a box of yummy things after the huge cook fest at the weekend

Hope builder and plans come through..sounding hopeful for sure.

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 22nd Jun 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So good news, its payday tomorrow even better news we managed to give ourselves the smallest budget in years for food and other disposable spends this month, which included a weeks school holiday we survived I've TT the remaining monies in both accounts, some to savings, some to LPDF ok, so it helped that DH got paid from job 2 but, even so food spends are at an all time low and we are eating big time from freezer. We haven't done a big shop all month

Veggies are growing well, tomatoes and potatoes looking very healthy. Will be nice when we can finally eat them.

Made a list of some additional things I need to do, including calling about a policy that matures for my god daughter when she turns 18 in 4 weeks. They have however, said I need to send the original policy document I have no idea where that is and have moved several times since then and safe to say 18 years ago when I opened said policy, I was not anywhere near as organised as now. Just hope there is some way round it.

Spent £11 at the market on lots of lovely fruit and veg today spent a voucher that had been in my purse for ages on a card for a friend, half price box of chocolates for DH as a treat and a present for my pressie box

No exercise though, need to get back on that. Plus baked brownies tonight and some oat cookies (although apparently they are 'healthy ') combination is good in taste but not for the waist
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 34,191 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Yay to that food budget..thats impressive. Can I ask how low you managed to go? As you know, its always the thing we overspend on.

Am sure the policy thing can be sorted, even if you have to sign a statutory declaration. if you need me to, I can ask a friend who is an estates/probate solicitor of cheapest/easiest way to prove it needs to be paid. Must happen all the time.

Brizz xxx

PS. 'challenge' you to two exercise sessions this weekend..it'll help me not give up!! So, you on for it???
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 23rd Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Yay to that food budget..thats impressive. Can I ask how low you managed to go? As you know, its always the thing we overspend on.

Am sure the policy thing can be sorted, even if you have to sign a statutory declaration. if you need me to, I can ask a friend who is an estates/probate solicitor of cheapest/easiest way to prove it needs to be paid. Must happen all the time.

Brizz xxx

PS. 'challenge' you to two exercise sessions this weekend..it'll help me not give up!! So, you on for it???
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Deal - you're on I did 2 laps by home on my bike when I got home, which after a long week was better than nothing. I so wanted to just get on the settee and watch the cricket I felt better for doing it - one down, one to go.

Thanks for the offer for the friend, I'll call them on Monday when I've got some time and let you know if an issue if that's ok?

Food spends at £259, which I know to some will still be extortionate - but for us is very good. Food is very much our thing I hoping the same for next month too. One of the things that has helped, has just not going to the shop (I know that sounds obvious!) we have just done 1 shop at Ald1 for the month and then small top ups at Mr s rather than big weekly shops (when we still end up with the small top up shops)

Sold another fleabay item that has been listed 100 (well nearly ) times - need to back and cashed out £21.55 on pr0lific, had to sign up to something called circle but seemed straightforward (and free )

It's payday, so done the big money shuffle. All good and one debt paid off in the process
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 24th Jun 17, 1:13 AM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 34,191 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    sounding good PF!! You're on!!
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 24th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 34,191 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Despite the lack of sleep and alcohol drunk with friends I made it to a full on hard core yoga class. At one point I didn't know whether to have a nosebleed or be sick??! (TMI??) anyhow just about avoided any embarassment, have showered and recovered and plan to do the whole thing again tomorrow.. must be insane but am sticking to our mutual challenge PF!

Have a good day x
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 24th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Well done Brizzle that's dedication. 45 minute walk was all I managed today but DH and I have both committed to go to the gym tomorrow so am planning for 5k run. Plus we'll have a walk in the morning around a local art trail that's just on the for the weekend. I'll report back when I've done. Promise.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 25th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hmm, day ran away with us, two unexpected sets of visitors, DH at gym now. Think I may have to settle for bike ride when he gets back rather than the gym. Lovely day though. Helped friend by washing two loads of washing as her machine has died. Showers mean I have some washing still to do last of drying, but not far off, on airer.

Bought a gift for a friend from art trail and DH Sara picture we like, would need to think where to put it though. Can't wait for the extension so we have more wall space.

Need to make a list of things to achieve this week, will use my trusty book so I can cross them off. Started today (pre list) but may have to write them down just so I can cross them off sorted big (too big) pile of papers in the kitchen. Recycled loads. Found home for lots of random stuff. Need to file/ find home/ action remaining paper.

DH cut down three massive conifers. We now have more daylight in our front room. Need to get rid of conifers. Thinking we may burn them and fill the brown bin with what we can.

I vacuumed cars and cleared them of rubbish. Cleaned inside of DW (very rock and roll here)

Packaged and posted an fleabay item. Packaged DH trainers, they're not supportive enough for his ankles. Returns are free so nothing lost. He's seen some others he likes that are £17 cheaper moved the fleabay sale money to savings.

Staked my tomatoes 🍅 they're growing very well. They seem to like their location this year done meal plan for the week, thanks to a variety of events this week, we only used two meals from this weeks list, so only 2 were required. No shopping required
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 26th Jun 17, 7:48 AM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 34,191 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    All sounding super productive!! Well done!

I too staked my tomatoes this weekend - they are huge - all I now need is lots of fruit. Think slightly cooler weather is better for them.

Well done on the exercise. Same challenge again next weekend??
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 26th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    All sounding amazing, well done - I too staked the tomatoes I split the pots this year so have few plants a few weeks behind the others. I need to check actually I think I have some more seeds to do a third batch.

H x
    Debt: Overdraft 2 £1200/ now £1200 Overdraft 1 £2200 Credit card £2200 Car - Lots!!
    PAID - Computer £646.52
    Emergency fund: £0 General savings: £0
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 26th Jun 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    First day of annual leave has been productive (although I've worked for 3 hours tonight, about another hour tomorrow. Will claim a day back though) 3 items bought from THAT furniture store, all on my list so good and will help with getting things organised some more and a home for everything.

Breakfast out with friends, lasted me all day too plenty of walking, over 16,000 steps packaged arrived from the sales last week. Mainly presents for the box/ specific people and a pair of pyjama trousers for me will need to try them on to check. Need to allocate money from various pots (clothes, house, presets) to pay for it and update my sheet, nothing rash and unrequited though.

Monthly round up and next months plans required :

EF at over 100% target, so still saving and will just reset target and go again
    Small EF started for rental, better than nowt
    Annual high interest saving account payment due this week
    1p challenge at £507 and 76% of target
    Signed up for sharesave at higher rate than one that's ending
    Got in first to share a wedding gift at a reasonable rate rather then wait for someone to suggest something that was excessive
    Declined going halves on a expensive gift for someone else
    Made freezer inventory and have been eating from it
    Paid a debt off entirely

Plan for July
    See if there are more veggies to plant from my out of date seeds
    More eating from freezer, food spends kept low
    Make use of rest of week off (albeit its in June)
    Strip at least one bedroom
    Keep listing on fleabay

Happy days.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 27th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 12,312 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Finally the start of progress on the extension
    So I originally started this diary to keep me on track for an extension we were planning in 2016. For various reasons it didn't happen, all through choice though and not design. We've had a builder round a year or so ago but became hesitant to progress because of another change that was happening and it's such a big commitment. Anyway, fast forward 12 months and we're ready to start progressing. A builder came week before last and I was very impressed he recommended someone who could do plans, but said they were notoriously difficult to get hold of. Today I called expecting to leave a message but not only did he answer he came round after the job he was on given me a quote and talked me through the process and I talked him through our thoughts. All very good. So I'll talk to hubby later when he's up and we'll see if we can progress to get plans drawn and submit application

Happy days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,303Posts Today

7,239Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin