Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 1st Apr 16, 3:06 PM
    • 1,216Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    20 Airbnb Hosting Tricks - guide discussion
    • 1st Apr 16, 3:06 PM
    20 Airbnb Hosting Tricks - guide discussion 1st Apr 16 at 3:06 PM

Hi all,

We've written a new Airbnb Hosting guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 01-04-2016 at 6:03 PM.
Page 1
    • contrarymary9
    • By contrarymary9 27th Apr 16, 11:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    contrarymary9
    • 27th Apr 16, 11:41 PM
    Can the rent I pay be deducted from my AirBnB earnings?
    • 27th Apr 16, 11:41 PM
    Hi Jenny and everyone else on MSE!

I have been hosting on AirBnB for a few months now and I absolutely love it! I have met some wierd and wonderful people from all over the world and made some money.

My question is this: I rent my flat. Can the rent I pay be deducted from my AirBnB income? Does my rent count as part of my expenses?

Any info would be gratefully received!

P.S. My landlord knows I'm doing AirBnb and doesn't mind as long as I pay my rent and don't bother him about repairs etc.!
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 28th Apr 16, 1:12 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 10,740 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 28th Apr 16, 1:12 PM
    • 28th Apr 16, 1:12 PM
    Speaking as a frequent traveller, I hate staying in places with domestic-quality fixtures. They wear out more quickly, and a 'spare bed' really does only suit occasional use, not to be let and slept on several nights a week. They tend to creak more, sag more, wobble more, etc.

If you're trying to compete with other local accommodation, get commercial quality fittings and advertise the fact!
    • NJH1
    • By NJH1 7th May 16, 10:22 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    NJH1
    • 7th May 16, 10:22 AM
    AirBnB home- insurance hike
    • 7th May 16, 10:22 AM
    We found the tips about AirBnB really valuable as we had recently started hosting and also needed to renew our home insurance.
    What we didn't anticipate was having our premium doubled! Then discovering that some underwriters won't insure you. What became clear was the advice from MMS was spot on as doing this will invalidate any future claims if not declared and added to the policy. We managed to find another policy through our bank and took advantage of a reduced rate (but mindful this could jump significantly next year). I wonder if many other hosts are just winging this and may get a shock when possibly making a claim or should they mention this when renewing?
    • lynsayjane
    • By lynsayjane 4th Jul 16, 1:06 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 5,754 Thanks
    lynsayjane
    • 4th Jul 16, 1:06 PM
    • 4th Jul 16, 1:06 PM
    My boyfriend and I are discussing moving in together but he owns his flat. The market in our area is especially difficult at the moment and I wondered if AirBNB was an option.
    There's nothing in the guide about whether you need to register as a landlord for AirBNB rentals, does that only apply to longer rentals that have a lease agreement?
    • Gillianlcolman
    • By Gillianlcolman 11th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gillianlcolman
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    After struggling to get insured last year, your guide was so useful giving me some pointers of who actually knows what Airbnb is! I advise phoning your preferred insurer either with a quote, asking to add Airbnb cover, or directly for a quote as non of the online forms/comparison sites have an easy way of putting it in (and when I tried to on 2 sites, I apparently did it wrong).

Here are a few things I've found:
    Towergate - will insure for a maximum of 30 nights only. They will not insure you for anything over this.
    Churchill - they check "eligibility" on a case by case basis. They have certainly improved since last year, when I had to explain to the guy on the phone what Airbnb was! He kept trying to tell me I ran a B&B so I needed business insurance! They said they would insure me for my 60 nights/year, max 2 people staying in one room. They won't insure for any damage or theft by the paying guests.
    Home Protect - I went with them last year, and had no problems. They've added things like basic legal cover in the last year. However, they won't cover for any accidental damage at all if you host. They don't insure for theft unless forcible entry is evident.
    Admiral - several different levels of cover available. You can do a quote online and then phone to add Airbnb, or just phone straight up. It cost me around £5 extra to add Airbnb when I did the comprison. The top level cover includes theft of up to £5000 of valuable items (jewellery, TV etc) by a paying guest, as well as legal cover. Damage caused by the guest is not included, but I think the Airbnb "insurance" covers this.

If anyone else has found any other insurers that cover accidental damage, please let me know! I have until Saturday to renew...
    • Maria4040
    • By Maria4040 15th Nov 16, 5:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maria4040
    • 15th Nov 16, 5:51 PM
    Tax free allowance for renting a room
    • 15th Nov 16, 5:51 PM
    I'm a bit confused about the tax situation. I work full time and rent one of the rooms in my house through airb&b. I wouldn't earn anywhere near £7500 from renting it as it's infrequent. Do I have to declare it to the Inland Revenue as it isn't my sole income? I have a relative telling me she thinks I do. Thanks
    • Corona
    • By Corona 15th Nov 16, 9:14 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    Corona
    • 15th Nov 16, 9:14 PM
    • 15th Nov 16, 9:14 PM
    I'm a bit confused about the tax situation. I work full time and rent one of the rooms in my house through airb&b. I wouldn't earn anywhere near £7500 from renting it as it's infrequent. Do I have to declare it to the Inland Revenue as it isn't my sole income? I have a relative telling me she thinks I do. Thanks
    Originally posted by Maria4040
    I'm pretty sure that you're right - as long as you earn less than £7,500 and this qualifies under the government's "Rent a Room" scheme, then it is exempt from taxation and you don't even have to tell them you're doing it. However, there is a clause about if you share the income with someone-else, then the allowance is halved (because it's between both of you). Just read up about it on the HMRC website (and point your relative to the right page so that she can read it for herself).
    • Corona
    • By Corona 16th Nov 16, 9:04 AM
    • 713 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    Corona
    • 16th Nov 16, 9:04 AM
    • 16th Nov 16, 9:04 AM
    Hi Jenny and everyone else on MSE!

I have been hosting on AirBnB for a few months now and I absolutely love it! I have met some wierd and wonderful people from all over the world and made some money.

My question is this: I rent my flat. Can the rent I pay be deducted from my AirBnB income? Does my rent count as part of my expenses?

Any info would be gratefully received!

P.S. My landlord knows I'm doing AirBnb and doesn't mind as long as I pay my rent and don't bother him about repairs etc.!
    Originally posted by contrarymary9
    I guess the other question you could ask is: Would someone's mortgage be counted as an expense against Air BnB earnings? I'm 99.9% sure that the answer is no, so I don't see why your rent would be. Sorry. (And if you earn less than £7,500 by renting out a room, you don't need to even tell HMRC you're doing it - it's tax exempt - so the whole question of being able to claim expenses disappears. See "Rent a Room" scheme on the HMRC website). Hope this is helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,450Posts Today

6,083Users online

Martin's Twitter