Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    • 192Posts
    • 608Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage
    • 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage 1st Apr 16 at 10:34 AM
    It is nearly a year since I last posted - due to a combination of work and losing my log in details However I am back with my sleeves rolled up bcause the new Personal Savings Allowance means I can start getting my hands on some of the lovely bank accounts that are now on offer without having to pay the taxman.
    So a potted history of me and mine - we are me, OH, DS (25) and DD (23) who since I last wrote has moved in with her boyfriend but I am still financially supporting as she is in her last year at university. Son is financially independent, still living at home but looking to buy his own place shortly.
    We have a large mortgage because we built out own house 7 years ago. We do however have a great mortgage deal - a lifetime tracker of 0.69% so instead of overpaying the mortgage I put any spare cash into higher paying ISAs and have until now been looking longingly at some of the higher rate current accounts - we are both higher rate tax payers so have been pointless using anything but ISAs until now.
    The numbers:
    Mortgage debt: Jan 15 £288778.23. March15 £286,217.61. Jan 16 £277958.44
    March 16 £275,920.98

Savings: Jan 15 £22080.81 March 15 £25,790.53 Jan 16 £34,361.10 March 16 £36966.91

So as you can see although I haven't been posting I have kept up the saving, averaging £1000 per month.
    I also set myself a goal of losing a stone and I have lost a stone and a half
    I think setting goals in writing on here really worked for me and so I am back
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 01-04-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Page 9
    • try harder
    • By try harder 12th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    try harder
    Hi busymee1 ,you sound very busy ,i hope all is going well,you have done amazingly well to reach such a high figure ,well done.I have not been around since August due mainly to losing my password and also with life in general ,i was busy with the children over the summer holidays ,two children off travelling ,gardening ,work in the house and so the list goes on but i really missed the diary and the support ,it definitely keeps me on the straight and narrow .I have been reading the diaries every day but was unable to comment so i am very happy now to be back .I hope that you manage to find time to write in your diary ,i find you very inspiring .
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 18th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    It has been a while ....
    Hi Try Harder, it is lovely to see you back. I will pop along to your diary later for a catch up.

So it has been a while since I last posted. Work continues to be busy and I have had some worries at home, and I just feel like I haven't had much space in my head for anything else.
    My boss who normally behaves like an overgrown toddler has finally spat his dummy out completely and resigned. This means that I am doing his job for a while, as well as my own. It does mean some extra money but not enough really for all the extra work. I have also been really worried about my DD as she and her partner have been going through a rough patch, they seem much better now but I just can't help worrying...

I have however carried on with my MSE activity, but I haven't been quite so focused. I suddenly realised I hadn't updated my spreadsheets for at least two weeks.....the shame
    Anyway Operation Eb@y finished on Sunday, making a grand total of £233.44 . I am really pleased with this but glad my Eb@ying is finished for this year, I do find it a bit tedious. I also got around to switching my two Donor accounts ( currently with COOP) to the H@lifax. I am really impressed with the H@lifax, I applied for the accounts on Thursday and the switch is set for 21 October and the first £100 was paid in on Monday ! Talk about efficient and if anyone needs to get their hands on a swift extra £100 this is the way to do it. My Donor accounts have now gained me £250 each, so £500 in total and I intend to do a another switch before the end of March. I am also waiting on some TCB for the C@@P accounts but I am not sure whether this will pay out, there are some mixed experiences over on the Banking Forum.
    Having some targets continues to be a real motivator, the reason I applied for the switching bonuses is because I am a couple of hundred pounds short of hitting my £1000 saving target this month. Hopefully I am now back on track.

So I think that is all, I will be back to update my October figures and then I will be away for most of November. I hope to be back then with a vengeance and some new targets
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 18th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Fantastic work on the ebaying and I totally understand when you say it's tedious, the extra pennies are great but all the photography, listing, questions and posting is rather long winded
    Emergency savings- £701.54 /£1000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90%
    2016 OP target- £14.58/ £150 -
    Mortgage end date- Nov '41

NST: 42
    • try harder
    • By try harder 18th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    try harder
    Sorry to hear about the worries at home ,strangely enough i have had similar worries with one of my daughters but things seem to have settled down again now but we will have to see ,all we can do is support them when they wish to talk about things but i find myself wanting to make everything right as i did when they were all small but sadly its not so easy now.You stick at it ,you have done amazingly well with your savings ,i will miss seeing you around in november but hope you have a wonderful time and be back in december with your usual enthusiasim not sure if i spelt that correctly .Looking forward to seeing your october figures busymee1.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Nov 16, 3:00 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    try harder
    Hi buymee1,i hope you are ok ,im not sure if you are away on holiday or with work etc but hope all is going well and look forward to seeing you back soon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,641Posts Today

5,689Users online

Martin's Twitter