Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    • 464Posts
    • 1,932Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage
    • 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage 1st Apr 16 at 10:34 AM
    It is nearly a year since I last posted - due to a combination of work and losing my log in details However I am back with my sleeves rolled up bcause the new Personal Savings Allowance means I can start getting my hands on some of the lovely bank accounts that are now on offer without having to pay the taxman.
    So a potted history of me and mine - we are me, OH, DS (25) and DD (23) who since I last wrote has moved in with her boyfriend but I am still financially supporting as she is in her last year at university. Son is financially independent, still living at home but looking to buy his own place shortly.
    We have a large mortgage because we built out own house 7 years ago. We do however have a great mortgage deal - a lifetime tracker of 0.69% so instead of overpaying the mortgage I put any spare cash into higher paying ISAs and have until now been looking longingly at some of the higher rate current accounts - we are both higher rate tax payers so have been pointless using anything but ISAs until now.
    The numbers:
    Mortgage debt: Jan 15 £288778.23. March15 £286,217.61. Jan 16 £277958.44
    March 16 £275,920.98

Savings: Jan 15 £22080.81 March 15 £25,790.53 Jan 16 £34,361.10 March 16 £36966.91

So as you can see although I haven't been posting I have kept up the saving, averaging £1000 per month.
    I also set myself a goal of losing a stone and I have lost a stone and a half
    I think setting goals in writing on here really worked for me and so I am back
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 01-04-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Page 21
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 3rd Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Cheeky Mid Week post
    So work is still very quiet, lots of people (obviously the ones that create work) are not back until Monday, so I thought I would do a cheeky update in between teleconferences.

I seem to be ticking quite a few jobs of my list:

I have sorted a couple of problems out for the elderly step-parent or I will have when I go to see him at the weekend. I know what I need and have the right people involved.

I have played the annual game of chicken with Sky....ĒI would like to cancel my package because I canít afford itĒ managed to get it down from £80 per month to £46 for 18 months

Paid £80 in 20 p coins to bank along with refund cheque. Also got a £156 refund from cancelled Peter Kay tour.

The leftover concoctions of parsnip and lentil curry and veg and coriander soup worked well. ( leftover concoctions are always a bit touch and go ).

I made ham and leek baked risotto last night ( one of Fortuneís Good Food recipes) to use up cream cheese, diced Christmas gammon and a lemon. This is a firm favourite in our house and really easy.

I have also booked a bargain winter sunshine break at the end of Feb to visit some friends

The Christmas decorations are down and the diet is going well .....well it is day 2

I am doing the 16:8 diet which suits me well. It means I am only eating between 10 and 6 and fasting the rest of the time. Hopefully a couple of weeks will help shift the Christmas weight. I also need to get back to the gym but finding it hard to motivate myself.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 3rd Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    michelle09
    Paid £80 in 20 p coins to bank along with refund cheque.
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    Bet they loved you.

The joys of company phoning, well done with the Sky though. It just intensely irritates me that you have to play this game in order to get a good deal.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 5th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    try harder
    Good to hear that things are going well . I never get any joy when i call BT lately to say that i will be leaving so i am stuck with them as i dont want all the hassle of changing when i am very happy with the service they provide just wish it was slightly cheaper.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 6th Jan 18, 8:23 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    The scales of doom....
    So this morning I have braved the scales of doom and can report that I put 4 lb on over Christmas . This is not the worst weight gain I have ever had, but it is clearly not good either. I still havenít made the gym this week, but I have got out walking and increased my step count. I have more or less stuck to the 16:8 diet this week, there was only one morning where I needed to eat before 10 or I was likely to rip someoneís head off . I need to get focussed now and get some weight shifted before we go away at the end of Feb.

Not much MS news, I ordered some new boots from N3xt for £46 but then saw some identical ones in the Cl@rks outlet for £30 so got those instead. Other than that it has been NSDs.

The fireplace company rang me yesterday and I said that we donít dislike the fireplace ( I didnít tell them that I love,love,love it !) and that it would be a waste to have to knock it out and redo it. I would therefore be happy to keep it if they would do us a bit of a deal on it. They are going to ring me back....

We have a busy weekend, I need to clean up this morning and then we are visiting the outlaws this afternoon. The kids are coming too as they didnít manage to see their Grandparents over Christmas for various reasons. Tomorrow we need to do the shopping and then we have the long drive over to see the elderly Step- Parent and do a few admin tasks with him.

Thanks for popping in everyone ( and Michelle I bagged up the 20ps, so they only needed weighing )
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 6th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    michelle09
    I suspect if you hadn't then they would have given you bags to sort them anyway.

Well done on the boots. I detest Clarkes (not necessarily their fault, I had a vaguely traumatic experience there nearly 20 years ago) but that is a seriously good discount.

Am sure the weight will come down quickly again, no point dwelling on it.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 12th Jan 18, 6:21 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    try harder
    Morning Busy Mee1 .Hows everything going weight wise ,gym wise ? Its good that you are getting out for some nice walks ,do you do that before you go to work or in your breaks .
    Looking forward to your update
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 9,064 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Hope the gym motivation is holding out Busymee1
    2018 MFW #20 - OP £391.44/ £3000 13%

Emergency fund £4K/ £6k
    Mortgage Oct '16 £170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 15th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Blue Monday
    So I woke up this morning with a very bad case of the miseries and then I read that today is Blue Monday the day of the year when more people feel down than any other day.

However as the day has worn on the miseries have lifted and it has turned out to be quite a good day.

Firstly tahdah ......I have been to the gym for the first time in weeks. I did a body pump class and ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes and I feel GREAT! Why, oh why have I not been able to motivate myself to go before now...I know it lifts my mood and generally makes me feel better about myself. So that is it now, I need to get going again regularly.

Secondly, we have both just received emails to say we have been awarded £250 each for switching to the Clydesdale Bank. £500 for a little bit of effort on my holiday I will be putting it towards our next holiday.

All in all more of a Yellow Monday after all x
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    try harder
    Ah lovely to see you and even better to hear you so upbeat ,yes definitely keep up the gym it makes you feel so much happier i know.

Wow,well done on the switch ,£500 that is Amazing clever you ,wish i could do that but i dont think anyone would want us let alone pay us .Great start to the year.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 7,527 Thanks
    themadvix
    It's amazing, isn't it, how difficult it can be to motivate oneself to exercise, despite the amazing high it gives you when you've done it! Glad you had a good session at the gym

£500 for maybe an hour's work? I really need to get onto this this year!!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,565Posts Today

5,685Users online

Martin's Twitter