Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    • 440Posts
    • 1,734Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage
    • 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage 1st Apr 16 at 10:34 AM
    It is nearly a year since I last posted - due to a combination of work and losing my log in details However I am back with my sleeves rolled up bcause the new Personal Savings Allowance means I can start getting my hands on some of the lovely bank accounts that are now on offer without having to pay the taxman.
    So a potted history of me and mine - we are me, OH, DS (25) and DD (23) who since I last wrote has moved in with her boyfriend but I am still financially supporting as she is in her last year at university. Son is financially independent, still living at home but looking to buy his own place shortly.
    We have a large mortgage because we built out own house 7 years ago. We do however have a great mortgage deal - a lifetime tracker of 0.69% so instead of overpaying the mortgage I put any spare cash into higher paying ISAs and have until now been looking longingly at some of the higher rate current accounts - we are both higher rate tax payers so have been pointless using anything but ISAs until now.
    The numbers:
    Mortgage debt: Jan 15 £288778.23. March15 £286,217.61. Jan 16 £277958.44
    March 16 £275,920.98

Savings: Jan 15 £22080.81 March 15 £25,790.53 Jan 16 £34,361.10 March 16 £36966.91

So as you can see although I haven't been posting I have kept up the saving, averaging £1000 per month.
    I also set myself a goal of losing a stone and I have lost a stone and a half
    I think setting goals in writing on here really worked for me and so I am back
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 01-04-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Page 18
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 1st Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    themadvix
    The gym sounds great!

I love the challenge of empty cupboard too, although not the cost of restocking so much!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 7th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Countdown to holiday
    Only one more week to work until our holiday I am really looking forward to some R&R and sunshine.

Nothing much to report on the financials, I have done the bank account patrols and swept all the interest and rewards into savings. Money is a bit tight, but we both have some expenses to come from work which should see us limping through until we go away.

I need to go food shopping today and will do this in L!dl. I am trying to meal plan carefully this week as I don't want to left with loads of fresh stuff to use up, so just literally buying what we need. I will make soup for lunches this week to use up some of the tired veg in the fridge.

I am off to the gym later - I thought I would try circuits today. I did boxercise in the week, which I enjoyed. I am losing weight slowly - I have lost 2 lb but I am not sure I will lose another 3lb in time for the holiday ....maybe another 1 or 2 lb.

We are going to visit one of the elderly parentals tomorrow, which is a full day out and will cost us a pub lunch. DD is also coming, which will brighten up her Grandad's day - she is definitely his favourite.

Then a busy week at work as I try and get everything done ahead of the holiday
    • try harder
    • By try harder 14th Oct 17, 5:57 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    try harder
    Have a wonderful holiday Busy Mee1 you really deserve it
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 14th Oct 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 6,240 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Enjoy your holiday
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 14th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    What a week !
    It has been a bit of an epic week.

We visited our elderly parental No 1 on Sunday, which was a long round trip, but brightened his day. The pub lunch cost £53 for the 4 of us but was really well worth it, one of the best pub lunches I have had, with lots of fresh local produce.

On Monday I went to London for work and then got a call to say elderly parental No 2 had been taken into hospital. Luckily London is nearer to this parent than home, so I hopped on a train to see him. He has a number of health conditions and had a bit of a blip but is thankfully fine now. However it cost me £38 in train fare and 2x £8 taxis and a very long trip home. Lucky I was nearby though and lucky that he is all right.

No more drama for the rest of the week but the travel earlier in the week absolutely wiped me out and I have been really busy trying to get finished at work. The trouble is all the stress has triggered my anxiety and I haven't slept very well. I am hoping I can relax over the weekend and stop stressing before we go away. I do seem to get myself in a bit of a negative spiral of tiredness - stress- anxiety- tiredness. I am a person who will worry if I haven't anything to worry about !

Nothing much to report on the financials we both claimed some expenses, which was a bit more than expected at £200. Thankfully that has covered the unexpected expenses this week and will see us through to the holiday.

I have done a Christmas shopping list and hope to pick up some bargains in the US while I am there.

No more weight lost ( there has been a fair amount of comfort eating this week ) but I am off to the gym in a while and will try and be good over the weekend. Although we are visiting elderly parentals 3 and 4 today ( we have 5 elderly parentals in total ! ) and there may be cake involved. We are then going round to some friends for a takeaway. Who am I kidding ....I am not going to be losing any more weight this weekend

I think that is all my news.

Thanks for popping in Try Harder - hope you are well x
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 14th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Sorry ETE our posts crossed. Thanks very much
    • try harder
    • By try harder 27th Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    try harder
    I am good Busy Mee1 thank you .Looking forward to hearing all about your wonderful holiday and your usual update .
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 29th Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Postcard from America
    Still on holiday but thought I would do a quick update as everyone else is still in bed.
    We are having a fab holiday, lots of sunshine and fun.

Now I am not going to pretend a holiday to the USA is in any way shape or form MSE, but we have done it in the most cost effective way that we can - cheap indirect flights bought in the sale in January, shopped around for car hire and bought through TCB and on cash back credit card and dollars bought at a good rate. We even bought our own weetabix ( sorry @ldis own brand) and those multi packs of cereal so that we can have breakfast in the villa.....and imagine my delight when I found out our nearest supermarket out here is an @ldi !

I am not sure the Americans have embraced @ldi yet in the same way we have done in the UK, it tends to be full of pensioners. I suspect it is the lack of choice that puts Americans off ....the amount of choice on everything here is mind boggling.

We have eaten out quite a lot, but it is almost as cheap to eat out as it is to eat in here, but the food is so unhealthy. I dread to think how much weight I have put on ...I think it will be a couple of weeks before I will be facing the scales of doom

I have also done quite a lot of a Christmas shopping, both here in the outlet malls and also online as M&S sent me a 20% off voucher.

In MSE news I have applied for 2 x Clydesd@le B accounts and have sacrificed our H@lifax accounts to get 2 x £250 switching bonus. £500 for a bit of effort on my holidays feels like a result

Anyway I can hear people moving so I had better sort myself out, I will be back later in the week with the usual monthly update x
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 29th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    michelle09
    Sounds like you're having a great time! I think you just have to embrace the spending and eating while you're out there.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 30th Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    themadvix
    Switching while you're on holiday? That's commitment!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 30th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    I thought so too Mad Vix, but I was worried that they might withdraw the offer by the time we get home and £500 was too good to miss. It wasn't too onerous - did it on line and had "oven ready " accounts ready to switch.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 30th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    michelle09
    Wow, well it's definitely counteracting any extra spending on the holiday!
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 2nd Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    October Update
    And back down to earth with a bump .... and a slightly late October update

Monthly Savings £1567.58
    Total Savings £57803.23
    Mortgage. £243,033.29
    Savings:Mortgage 23.78% (creeping up slowly)
    Savings offset mortgage to. £185,230.06

Average Monthly savings. £1578.87

So again and slightly surprisingly we have exceeded £1500 again this month, it just shows that planning and making good choices does pay off.

So we are still on track to hit the £60k mark at the end of December, in fact on current savings rates we should well exceed that at £60,800. Now under normal circumstances I would be looking to stretch that to £61k but we need to spend a bit of money on the house, which I will update on next time. So still sticking to my £60k target for now

Also boo to the interest rate raise announced today. Can't really complain though as our tracker is only 0.69% above base rate but it is a big mortgage !
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 02-11-2017 at 6:05 PM.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 3rd Nov 17, 7:47 AM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    try harder
    Morning Busy Mee1 .Pleased to see you properly back and so pleased too that you have had such a wonderful holiday and even managed to do a little Christmas shopping thats brilliant
    Are you back at work this week ? I expect you are
    Another great month and on target for £60,000 by the end of the year almost at the 25% mark thats a huge achievement .
    I think our rate is 3.79 at the minute and that small rise in interest rates will put our payments up from £626 to £676 a rise of £50 a month .
    Have a great day working or at home.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 3rd Nov 17, 11:04 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Belt tightening
    So back home and back at work (although having a gentle re- entry into the world of work to be honest).

So I will gloss over how much was spent on holiday but we will have rather large Halif@x Clarity credit card bills this month and next.

We also need to spend some money on the house, as a glass fronted wardrobe door cracked just before we went away ( it was me being a bit heavy handed when sliding it). We also had some storm damage whilst we we in whilst were away and need a new garden gate. We still also want the fireplace....I have a vision of Christmas by a fire

Luckily the wardrobe is covered by the insurance, but there is a £300 excess. The gate and fireplace will obviously have to be paid for. A friend of ours has offered to do the gate, so hopefully that will be mates rates.

So I have a list of things for the house I want doing before Christmas:

Wardrobe - need quote for replacement door
    Gate- friend will come round to have a look in a couple of weeks
    Fireplace - need to sort out tomorrow
    Frame for photos - need to order

Money wise - I will need to find £300 excess for wardrobe door, £300ish for gate and £2000 for fireplace. I have £1700 in the emergency fund and £200 deposit to come back from villa, so I should be able to scrape enough together for the fireplace. The other £600 will need to come out of savings I think. I am not going to compromise my £60k target by December though.

So there needs to be a huge belt tightening this month...and I am going to allow us a budget of a £100 per week for everything....food, and cash spends, so £400 for the month . This should be OK ...gulp. I will let you know how we get on.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 3rd Nov 17, 12:19 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    try harder
    Oh you will love an open fire especially at Christmas you cant beat it and its good to have treats too you have worked so very hard all year just one problem with an open fire and that is i tend to fall asleep in front of them ,any excuse hey .
    £60,000 is a brilliant amount and im like you too with these numbers my OCD is going through the roof lately and my pile of notebooks and calculator are forever by my side goodness knows what anyone would think if they knew but its working so well it cant be bad .You can do it at £100 a week i know ,it can be done definitely.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 3rd Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Fail
    So not three hours ago I was saying that we would be tightening our belts this month and then I popped to M&S to collect the order I made whilst on holiday and spent £45.05.

In my defence they had a lot of half price offers on Christmas biscuits and chocolates and some good YS stuff. So included in that were

2 Tins of biscuits @£4.50 each
    Tin Swiss chocolates @£5.00
    Bottle of Port @ £8.00
    3 packs of Christmas cards, buy 2 get 1 free - 20% off with sparks cards
    2 Beautiful flowering azeleas YS £2.80 - one for me and one for MIL ( brownie points !)
    YS Bread and Ready Meals

In my defence all bargainous and I have nearly finished my Christmas shopping now - just the elderly male parentals and Mr Mee to buy for now......what do you buy for men who have everything they want ?

Try Harder I really don't need any inducement to fall asleep at the moment - I am blaming it on the Jet lag
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 4th Nov 17, 3:23 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 1,878 Thanks
    michelle09
    At least you have some Christmas stuff sorted already? You still have at £55 for the rest of the week!
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 7th Nov 17, 9:53 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Tuesday
    I feel quite focused on the finances again, hence the mid week post. The finances are suddenly challenging again , which makes me think I ought to keep things tight to keep me interested
    Anyway spent this week £45.05 M&S ( mostly Christmas stuff)
    £10.53. L!dl. (3x sausages, 2x wine, 1x muesli and brown sugar)
    £14.98. H@meb@rgains
    £34.79 @ldi

Total 105.35

We have overspent by £5.35 this week but hopefully we can claw that back across the rest of the month. I still have some cash in my purse from before we went away so won't need any cash until the weekend.

In other MSE news I have done the bank account patrol and swept up the interest and rewards into the savings. I have also claimed another £66 from TCB and I am waiting for the S@ntander Lite cash back to drop in this month, from when Mr Mee ran amok with Apple P@y. I think the £500 from the bank switch will be payable in January - will just need to make sure I jump through all the hoops to make sure the T&Cs are satisfied. The deposit from the villa hasn't been paid yet -but I will chase that tonight.

I had a bit of good news this morning in that my role is going to continue until next June. I have had a bit of a torrid time over the last year with useless but damaging bosses, but our new boss is excellent and I feel completely different about work now. A real lesson I think for the future, in that it is just as important who you work for, as much the job itself. In financial terms this is also good news because this role pays just under £300 a month more than usual.

Think that is all for today, although I have been thinking about targets for next year. It looks like we will hit the £60k mark by the end of the year, which means we will have saved £18k towards the mortgage this year . The obvious target for next year will therefore be £20k I need to keep the focus up because Mr Mees retirement date is getting nearer.

I know we are very lucky to be in a position to save this amount , but as I keep reminding Mr Mee these are not real savings as we owe the money to the mortgage company and this will give us the choice of whether to keep our house or not.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 10th Nov 17, 4:00 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    try harder
    You are amazing Busy Mee1 you are doing so well £18,000 saved in a year is brilliant and to hit the £60,000 mark too by the end of next month is so good too and of course a lovely round number which i know you love .
    Have you picked your new fireplace yet ?I was thinking about you the other day when i was looking through a magazine with some lovely open fires in it .
    Good to hear that alls going well at work it makes all the difference im sure .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

6,941Users online

Martin's Twitter