Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    • 388Posts
    • 1,468Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage
    • 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage 1st Apr 16 at 10:34 AM
    It is nearly a year since I last posted - due to a combination of work and losing my log in details However I am back with my sleeves rolled up bcause the new Personal Savings Allowance means I can start getting my hands on some of the lovely bank accounts that are now on offer without having to pay the taxman.
    So a potted history of me and mine - we are me, OH, DS (25) and DD (23) who since I last wrote has moved in with her boyfriend but I am still financially supporting as she is in her last year at university. Son is financially independent, still living at home but looking to buy his own place shortly.
    We have a large mortgage because we built out own house 7 years ago. We do however have a great mortgage deal - a lifetime tracker of 0.69% so instead of overpaying the mortgage I put any spare cash into higher paying ISAs and have until now been looking longingly at some of the higher rate current accounts - we are both higher rate tax payers so have been pointless using anything but ISAs until now.
    The numbers:
    Mortgage debt: Jan 15 £288778.23. March15 £286,217.61. Jan 16 £277958.44
    March 16 £275,920.98

Savings: Jan 15 £22080.81 March 15 £25,790.53 Jan 16 £34,361.10 March 16 £36966.91

So as you can see although I haven't been posting I have kept up the saving, averaging £1000 per month.
    I also set myself a goal of losing a stone and I have lost a stone and a half
    I think setting goals in writing on here really worked for me and so I am back
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 01-04-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Page 18
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 1st Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 5,944 Thanks
    themadvix
    The gym sounds great!

I love the challenge of empty cupboard too, although not the cost of restocking so much!
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 7th Oct 17, 8:27 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Countdown to holiday
    Only one more week to work until our holiday I am really looking forward to some R&R and sunshine.

Nothing much to report on the financials, I have done the bank account patrols and swept all the interest and rewards into savings. Money is a bit tight, but we both have some expenses to come from work which should see us limping through until we go away.

I need to go food shopping today and will do this in L!dl. I am trying to meal plan carefully this week as I don't want to left with loads of fresh stuff to use up, so just literally buying what we need. I will make soup for lunches this week to use up some of the tired veg in the fridge.

I am off to the gym later - I thought I would try circuits today. I did boxercise in the week, which I enjoyed. I am losing weight slowly - I have lost 2 lb but I am not sure I will lose another 3lb in time for the holiday ....maybe another 1 or 2 lb.

We are going to visit one of the elderly parentals tomorrow, which is a full day out and will cost us a pub lunch. DD is also coming, which will brighten up her Grandad's day - she is definitely his favourite.

Then a busy week at work as I try and get everything done ahead of the holiday
    • try harder
    • By try harder 14th Oct 17, 5:57 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    try harder
    Have a wonderful holiday Busy Mee1 you really deserve it
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 14th Oct 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Enjoy your holiday
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 14th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    What a week !
    It has been a bit of an epic week.

We visited our elderly parental No 1 on Sunday, which was a long round trip, but brightened his day. The pub lunch cost £53 for the 4 of us but was really well worth it, one of the best pub lunches I have had, with lots of fresh local produce.

On Monday I went to London for work and then got a call to say elderly parental No 2 had been taken into hospital. Luckily London is nearer to this parent than home, so I hopped on a train to see him. He has a number of health conditions and had a bit of a blip but is thankfully fine now. However it cost me £38 in train fare and 2x £8 taxis and a very long trip home. Lucky I was nearby though and lucky that he is all right.

No more drama for the rest of the week but the travel earlier in the week absolutely wiped me out and I have been really busy trying to get finished at work. The trouble is all the stress has triggered my anxiety and I haven't slept very well. I am hoping I can relax over the weekend and stop stressing before we go away. I do seem to get myself in a bit of a negative spiral of tiredness - stress- anxiety- tiredness. I am a person who will worry if I haven't anything to worry about !

Nothing much to report on the financials we both claimed some expenses, which was a bit more than expected at £200. Thankfully that has covered the unexpected expenses this week and will see us through to the holiday.

I have done a Christmas shopping list and hope to pick up some bargains in the US while I am there.

No more weight lost ( there has been a fair amount of comfort eating this week ) but I am off to the gym in a while and will try and be good over the weekend. Although we are visiting elderly parentals 3 and 4 today ( we have 5 elderly parentals in total ! ) and there may be cake involved. We are then going round to some friends for a takeaway. Who am I kidding ....I am not going to be losing any more weight this weekend

I think that is all my news.

Thanks for popping in Try Harder - hope you are well x
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 14th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Sorry ETE our posts crossed. Thanks very much
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin