Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    • 333Posts
    • 1,134Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage
    • 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage 1st Apr 16 at 10:34 AM
    It is nearly a year since I last posted - due to a combination of work and losing my log in details However I am back with my sleeves rolled up bcause the new Personal Savings Allowance means I can start getting my hands on some of the lovely bank accounts that are now on offer without having to pay the taxman.
    So a potted history of me and mine - we are me, OH, DS (25) and DD (23) who since I last wrote has moved in with her boyfriend but I am still financially supporting as she is in her last year at university. Son is financially independent, still living at home but looking to buy his own place shortly.
    We have a large mortgage because we built out own house 7 years ago. We do however have a great mortgage deal - a lifetime tracker of 0.69% so instead of overpaying the mortgage I put any spare cash into higher paying ISAs and have until now been looking longingly at some of the higher rate current accounts - we are both higher rate tax payers so have been pointless using anything but ISAs until now.
    The numbers:
    Mortgage debt: Jan 15 £288778.23. March15 £286,217.61. Jan 16 £277958.44
    March 16 £275,920.98

Savings: Jan 15 £22080.81 March 15 £25,790.53 Jan 16 £34,361.10 March 16 £36966.91

So as you can see although I haven't been posting I have kept up the saving, averaging £1000 per month.
    I also set myself a goal of losing a stone and I have lost a stone and a half
    I think setting goals in writing on here really worked for me and so I am back
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 01-04-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Page 16
    • try harder
    • By try harder 8th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    try harder
    Another month of great saving totals Busy Mee1 ,a target of £60,000 by December is amazing and i know you will do it i have no doubts about that .
    I am so pleased to hear that your sons house is ready and i expect he has moved in now and loving it ,he has done really well.
    I hope you are Ok i am looking forward to hearing your updates .
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 13th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    A perfect storm
    I can't believe it has been 2 weeks since I last posted ( thanks for popping in ETE and Try Harder). I have had what I think they call a perfect storm. DS got the keys to his house and we have been helping him with some jobs, work has been manic and I have been spending week days in London and we were away at a wedding last weekend. I am now on my way back home from London and making use of the free WiFi to catch up.
    It has all been a bit of a whirl and very very spendy - I am dreading my credit card bill next month Luckily we will both get our annual bonus, which should hopefully cover it

In MF news I have just received £200 cash back into my Nutmeg S&S ISA which I had forgotten about and will boost this month's savings total. There is now £2498 in this ISA, all free money from last year's odds and sods account. It has lost £2.00 but I am gritting my teeth as I am viewing this as a 10 year investment.

I haven't been to the gym at all this week and have a stinking cold. I need to get a grip and focus on myself next week
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 13-07-2017 at 4:29 PM.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 15th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Saturday
    So made it to Saturday and hoping for a less frantic weekend. These last few weeks have been manic.

Work has been interesting over the last few weeks, and I have a number of irons in the fire with regards to new jobs. Hopefully I will be in a new role by September I am not sure I can sustain the level of pace and pressure required in this job for much longer and it feels quite good having some other options in place.

I went for a long walk last night with DD and we had a good chat about finances, she is currently switching her bank account to FD for the £125 switching bonus It made me smile really, some of my MSE ways are rubbing off

She is trying to get her boyfriend more interested in his finances. He comes from quite a well off family and has never done without anything and his parents bail him out fairly regularly. She is really trying to get him to stand on his own two feet and has had some success. They have had just had to find some extra money for a tax bill, and although it has left them short, he has actually paid it himself without asking his parents for money.

It does make me realise how lucky I am, that my two are fairly financially astute and are financially independent. We do help them out occasionally, usually by treating them, but they never expect it.

DS has moved into his new house and it is lovely. He has been quite stressed though, there has been a lot to do, a lot to buy and I think he has found the decision making quite hard. I think this is harder on your own as you don't have a partner to discuss with or share the burden. We have been trying to help him as much as we can, Mr Mee has been helping with all the jobs that need doing ( blinds up, washing machine/ dishwasher plumbed in etc). I have been helping him choose stuff Anyway he now has all the basics and he has a couple of his university friends coming to visit today, so we can have a break.

It is funny I haven't really noticed our empty nest yet, as I have hardly been at home. I think I will notice it this weekend, particularly when I go to the supermarket. I am expecting a substantial drop in our grocery spends

The weather is a bit grey here, I hoping it might brighten up so that I can get some gardening done this weekend.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 15th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    try harder
    Wow your free money pot is A mazing you have worked at it so hard and it really has paid off .I have put our money from the Millionaire challenge into my ISA with some of our other savings and it goes up and down but im looking at it as a long term investment so i try to ignore the drops but it is hard .
    Your children both sound really lovely you have done a great job and thats all we can ask for ,i am so proud of my children and the kind ,compassionate adults they have become it has been my greatest accomplishment ,whenever i look at them i cannot believe that they are mine .
    That sounds very intriguing ,a new job by September i hope it will work out for you and be more relaxing you work so very hard i dont know how you sustain it i certainly could not do it but you are very organised and that certainly helps but im keeping my fingers crossed for you .
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 22nd Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Raining
    Urgh what a grey and rainy start to the school holidays - I hope it brightens up for all those families heading off on their summer break. I wonder where you take kids on rainy days at the seaside now that Woolies has closed. Mine spent many happy hours in there choosing what tat to spend their holiday money on

I have spent all this week at home, which has been lovely. I was feeling a bit meh earlier on in the week so I cancelled at my trips away and just stayed local. I am feeling much better now, it was just a virus, but it floored me, I think after having so many weeks working silly hours. I am back to it next week and will be spending most of the week in London.

I feel like I haven't had much focus on MF activities over these last few weeks and need to start recording some of the smaller gains again. We had a small windfall from British Gas this week, a refund of £14.95 that they had overcharged us, with an additional £10 compensation. We also have:

Topcashback £87 tracking
    Barclaycard cashback £46.45
    20p jar (approx £70) - saving for cottage holiday in September
    £195 claimed back (expenses)
    £100 Debenhams voucher and £20 M&S vouchers ( saving for Christmas)

I have also got Mr Mee to load his Santander 123 lite debit card on to Apple Pay as they are offering 5% cash back on payments using your phone until 30 September.

I need to sort out another Direct Debit to go on my TSB account which I will sacrifice in September to switch to FD for the switching bonus and to open another couple of regular savers.

Despite having quite a spendy month, the savings are looking healthy and we have already topped £1500 ( largely due to the £200 cash back received into the nutmeg account). Next month is likely to be tight though, as the credit card bill from hell needs to be paid, along with final payment on holiday accomodation. I am still hoping to keep on track though as we have annual bonuses to come ( fingers crossed ).

I am having a big clear out this weekend now that DS has moved out, and have some big black sacks at the ready. I think there will be a few runs to the tip

Have a great weekend and hope it stops raining soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,127Posts Today

7,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin