Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    • 320Posts
    • 1,064Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage
    • 1st Apr 16, 10:34 AM
    Getting a Grip and Saving towards the mortgage 1st Apr 16 at 10:34 AM
    It is nearly a year since I last posted - due to a combination of work and losing my log in details However I am back with my sleeves rolled up bcause the new Personal Savings Allowance means I can start getting my hands on some of the lovely bank accounts that are now on offer without having to pay the taxman.
    So a potted history of me and mine - we are me, OH, DS (25) and DD (23) who since I last wrote has moved in with her boyfriend but I am still financially supporting as she is in her last year at university. Son is financially independent, still living at home but looking to buy his own place shortly.
    We have a large mortgage because we built out own house 7 years ago. We do however have a great mortgage deal - a lifetime tracker of 0.69% so instead of overpaying the mortgage I put any spare cash into higher paying ISAs and have until now been looking longingly at some of the higher rate current accounts - we are both higher rate tax payers so have been pointless using anything but ISAs until now.
    The numbers:
    Mortgage debt: Jan 15 £288778.23. March15 £286,217.61. Jan 16 £277958.44
    March 16 £275,920.98

Savings: Jan 15 £22080.81 March 15 £25,790.53 Jan 16 £34,361.10 March 16 £36966.91

So as you can see although I haven't been posting I have kept up the saving, averaging £1000 per month.
    I also set myself a goal of losing a stone and I have lost a stone and a half
    I think setting goals in writing on here really worked for me and so I am back
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 01-04-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Page 15
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 3rd Jun 17, 7:35 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Diet June
    Diet June has begun and not before time. I finally got on the scales of doom this morning and the news wasn't good

I have had a better week though - I haven't eaten any rubbish and have been to the gym 3 times. I need to keep this up and lose half a stone at least by early July, as we are going to a wedding abroad.

Pay day has been and gone and the web of standing orders into all the accounts is currently in motion. Once this stops I can shuffle any excess funds into my savings.

The current accounts are currently earning around £76 per month in rewards and interest as follows:
    Rewards
    Halifax x 2 = £6.00
    Santander= 7.33
    Barclays= £12.00

Interest
    Tesco x 4 =£30.00
    Nationwide x 2 = £20.83

We also have regular savers to pay out interest in 2017/18 tax year
    Nationwide x 2 = £325.00

And 1 to pay out in interest £2018/19 tax year
    M&S = £80.64

I need to now switch another couple of accounts to FD to start 2 more regular savers that will pay out interest in 2018/19. We currently have £1250 being paid into the regular savers, NW and M&S and an additional £100 per month being paid into a S&S ISA.

In other financial news TCB has just paid out £46.73 and I am still in correspondence with NW about the switching bonus. I have had to send them the letters of proof that the DDs were set up before the switch by snail mail. They wouldn't accept scanned copies by email So much for the digital age Fingers crossed this will sort the issue out and they will pay the £200 switching bonuses. The moral of this story is do make sure your DDs have actually paid out on your donor account before switching !

I am up early this morning because I have loads to do - we have some more friends staying tonight ( the 3rd weekend on the trot !). I want to nip to LIdl to get honey, muesli and yogurt ( all super weekend offers ) and the butchers, and then I am going to the gym. My car then needs to go in for its service and then I will start cooking and cleaning .... I love having people to stay but I am looking forward to a weekend next weekend, when it it just us.

I did the main grocery shop last night in M@rrisons and spent £55.37. I went in the late evening specifically to see if there were any yellow stickered bargains and managed to pick up mince, salad and bread cheap. The loaves of bread were all 19p each (A couple were gluten free - not sure what they will be like !) I have to say though, I am not a fan of M@rrisons though, I much prefer Ald! and Lid!.

It looks like it is going to be a lovely day today, so have a great weekend
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 10th Jun 17, 7:29 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Raining
    It is bucketing down with rain this morning - I don't know where has the summer has gone ?

I can't believe another week has gone by so quickly. We had another great weekend last weekend with friends staying, but I have firmly shut the door on our B&B this weekend. I love having people to stay but it will be a bit of a relief to have a weekend to ourselves this weekend.

Work has gone manic again and I was still working at 8pm last night.....do these people not know it is Friday night ! This is just the start and it is likely to get busier over the next few week

Nothing much to report on the financial front- any spare money and interest has been shuffled into savings and we still haven't received the N@tionwide switching bonus, so I sent them another message yesterday.

The food budgeting is going well and I made Spanish baked eggs this week ( waitrose recipe) to use up some chorizo and wilting veg. I used onions, peppers, chorizo, baby corn, tin toms, tin of potatoes and chilli and then cracked eggs into wells in the top and baked in the oven...it was yum and definitely a repeater. I have decided that chorizo is another good MSE ingredient to have in, it is cheap, keeps for ages and is very versatile.

The exciting news is that after waiting for over a year, DS now has a completion date of 31 July for his house. I am not sure he quite believes it after waiting so long for it to be built. This is likely to put a bit of a dent in our finances as I want to help him to furnish it, and have promised to buy him a dishwasher and a bed (and may give him some money too depending on how he is fixed).
    I am really proud of him, he is buying the house on his own and has saved a substantial deposit (over 20 %). Of the course the year long delay has helped give him a bit more time to save too

It is going to be funny being just the two of us again, we had a period of an empty nest a few years ago - but since then we have had at least one or both of them back home ( along with their entourage ). I don't feel sad this time about having an empty nest because it really is time that DS left home, he is so desperate for his own place. I also know, if DD is anything to judge by, that they come back regularly if only to raid the fridge !

I am going to LIdl again this morning for dishwasher tablets and cheese (£1.99 each on super saver weekend). I have taken to checking every weekend on the shopping thread to see what is on offer to see if there is anything I need to stock up on.

I am then going to the gym - the fourth time this week .
    Unfortunately I haven't lost any weight. My diet has been better, but I obviously haven't cut down enough. I must try and focus this week

Have a great weekend and let's hope the weather brightens up.
    Last edited by Busy Mee1; 10-06-2017 at 7:33 AM.
    • try harder
    • By try harder 10th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    try harder
    Hi again Busy Mee1 .Good to hear all your news although the ongoing problem with the Nationwidx must be so frustrating ,i had several problems with them around a year ago whilst trying to set up a current account so i left it but have opened one successfully this time around although i never try for the opening offers like you do ,i dont really know why i think im just lazy.Wow and well done to your son no wonder you are so proud 20% is a huge deposit and knowing how hard it is to get on to the property ladder makes it all the more amazing ,i feel so sorry for young people today having to find such huge deposits .Im sure he will be home often mine are and its lovely and you sound the loveliest of mums you will probably see more of them than when they lived at home .
    I am trying to eat really healthy too and have cut out bread and eating as close to 80% raw food as possible i definitely feel much better when i stick to this way of eating i still give my husband and son meat or fish with their salads but i try and have something like half an avocado we do eat quite a lot of salads i have also stopped drinking so much milk and stopped eating cheese and dont feel so bloated as i did i hope you had a good morning in the gym ,the last time i went to a gym was around 40 years ago ,my children go regularly and run but i am far too lazy for that .
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 11th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Blustery
    At least it has stopped raining today, but it is very blustery. Although I understand the weather down South was lovely yesterday

Thanks for popping in Try Harder, I am fairly certain the kids will still come home. I will only need to entice them with a promise of a roast dinner and chocolate cake and they will be back

We are fairly lucky up North ( not sure where in the country you are - but I am guessing further South than us) that house prices are not too bad. I honestly don't know how young people get on the housing ladder in London and the Home Counties. The house prices are shocking

So I had a very nice chilled day yesterday. I went to LIdl and bought four boxes of dishwasher tablets @£1.99. I have added one packet to DS "bottom drawer" pile that is accumulating on the floor of the study, ready for when he moves into his house. I also bought 2 840g blocks of cheese @ £1.99 - these have BB date of mid September, so should be fine.

I then went to the gym and cleaned up. In the afternoon Mr Mee and I went to have a look at DS house. It is all built and they are working on the inside now, but we couldn't get too close because they have fencing up. It all looks very nice, it is not a very big development and DS house is in the last four houses to be built tucked away in the back corner of the estate.

I also called into the florist to buy some flowers for a friend who has been ill. I love choosing flowers individually in the florist rather than buying bunches, it is one of my favourite things It is not very MSE I know but I have a lovely bouquet of unusual flowers that cost £10.50. I know the friend receiving them will appreciate them. He rather unusually (although I don't know why this would be unusual ) is a male friend, who loves flowers.

We spent the evening binge watching Game of Thrones. I came to this particular party late and I am only on season 6 and have a lot of catching up to do before the new series starts I was of course multi tasking and doing a bit of money laundering at the same time. Mr Mee insists I can't be watching the TV and money laundering at the same time, but I can

We are off to do the weekly shop this morning and Mr Mee has promised me a MaccyD breakfast - we know how to live . It will be porridge for me though as I am trying to be good

I then have a load of work to catch up on before the madness starts again this week , but we are popping round to see the friend who has been ill later.

I hope you have a great week.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 11th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 973 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I'm in the South and it rained all day yesterday! Looking a bit better today though

DD1 is always coming round for food, only need to mention it and she's on the doorstep! In fact she will be round tonight too.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 11th Jun 17, 8:45 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Haha the first thing my DD does when she arrives home is check the fridge and snacks cupboard to see what we have in. They don't buy snacks at home because they are "being healthy". Apparently snacks eaten at your parent's house don't count !
    • try harder
    • By try harder 11th Jun 17, 9:16 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    try harder
    Morning Busy Mee1 ,sounds like you had a really good day yesterday and managed to get lots of useful and enjoyable things done .
    I am South East in Norfolk close to Blakeney ,Burnham Market and Stiffkey so very close to the sea ,it was the most beautiful day here yesterday and we sat in our garden until around 8.30.I hope you enjoyed your breakfast and that it will be a lovely day for you today and that you will be able to sit outside on your sofa and enjoy your garden ,the sun is trying to peep out and the birds are singing so fingers crossed
    • try harder
    • By try harder 11th Jun 17, 9:21 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    try harder
    I meant East Anglia ,i am in East Anglia .I was thinking about house prices and where my children live ,silly me its a good thing that i read it back ,im getting old thats my excuse
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 3,367 Thanks
    themadvix
    Glad all's going well BusyMee! I can confirm that calories consumed at parents' house(s) don't count (and I'm 32!).

TH, that's an even nicer area than I was imagining you living in..., I'm even more envious now! :P
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • try harder
    • By try harder 12th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    try harder
    Ah themadvix im sure its lovely where ever you are ,i love everything about this country ,we have holidays in Scotland ,Yorkshire (one of my very favourite places )Devon (my other favourite place )and Suffolk too just to name a few ,i have lots more places to visit there is always something lovely wherever we have been but it is very beautiful here especially the broads .I think i remember at some point you saying you came this way at least i think it was you but could be wrong .
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 13th Jun 17, 6:13 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Morning Busy Mee1 ,sounds like you had a really good day yesterday and managed to get lots of useful and enjoyable things done .
    I am South East in Norfolk close to Blakeney ,Burnham Market and Stiffkey so very close to the sea ,it was the most beautiful day here yesterday and we sat in our garden until around 8.30.I hope you enjoyed your breakfast and that it will be a lovely day for you today and that you will be able to sit outside on your sofa and enjoy your garden ,the sun is trying to peep out and the birds are singing so fingers crossed
    Originally posted by try harder
    That is such a lovely part of the country Try Harder, we visited a number of times on holiday when the kids were small. I really envy you being close to the sea, we are about as far away as you can get from the sea living in Yorkshire.
    I do love where we live though, it is rural, with beautiful countryside but close enough to towns and cities if you want them.

Madvix - Thanks also for popping by. I wish I had been as sensible as you at 32, in fact I wish I was 32 again
    • try harder
    • By try harder 13th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    try harder
    Yorkshire ,my number one favourite place ,its bringing back wonderful memories now ,the first place i visited on a school trip aged about eleven was Staithes i remember staying in some kind of old Nissen hut and visiting Flamborough Lighthouse and Whitby Abbey ,years later we went as a family to Scarborough ,Whitby or Robin Hoods Bay,oh how i wish i was there again just beautiful
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Jun 17, 1:01 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 3,367 Thanks
    themadvix
    As I said on Jess's thread - this country has so many nice places! (But I'm definitely agreeing with BusyMee - it's the coast that appeals most to me, I love water).
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 17th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Glorious weather
    It is a beautiful morning here and the forcast is for a glorious weekend - I just love it when the sun shines.

I have had a manic week this week, working away from home for four days and putting in some long hours. Funnily enough I have really enjoyed it, it has been quite buzzy and exciting - I think I might be getting my mojo back for work.

I haven't mentioned on here (at the risk of it being TMI) that I have been having some health problems which are now sorted out. It is only now that I feel well again that I realise how awful I have been feeling and that was impacting on all sorts of things, including work. I actually feel like a new woman

I was up early again this morning. I am not very good at sleeping in, so I sorted all my receipts out for my work expenses. I have spent quite a bit of money staying away from home this week, some of it I can claim back but some of it I can't, rather annoyingly. It looks like I will be away for most of next week, so I need to think about how I can minimise the cost to me. There are some daft rules about what you can and can't claim and a fairly tight cap.

The N@tionwide saga continues...if you remember in the last instalment I had to send copies of letters from the direct debit recipients to prove the direct debits were in force before the switch. NW wouldn't let me email scanned copied of the letters for security reasons......well guess what...they haven't received the copies I sent by snail mail. You just couldn't make this up ! I now need to schlep into town on a Saturday morning to take the copies of the letters. Mr Mee's correspondence is getting quite terse I had to tell him he was being quite terse because of course I am pretending to be him

In other news DS should be getting the keys to his house in 2 weeks I am not sure we will actually believe it until it happens. This did actually send him into a mild panic because he was expecting the end of July, but as I pointed out to him he doesn't need to break his neck to move in two weeks, he can get his big items ordered, things like white goods and sofa and move in at his leisure.

The diet isn't going particularly well. I have only lost 1 lb, I am finding that I am really having to cut back on the calories to shift any, which is hard. Being away from home hasn't helped and I have only managed the gym once this week. I must try harder this week

Think that is all my news this week. Have a great weekend in the sunshine
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 17th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 973 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    What a busy week! Glad you are feeling better.

Exciting news about getting the keys soon.

Enjoy the sunny weekend
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 17th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 7,779 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    I'm not sure which bank i had an issue with, or the exact details, but they basically contested whether the copy i had sent of a council tax bill for proof of address was a copy of an original or a copy of a copy! They insisted they needed a copy but it couldn't be a copy of a copy. I said that's fine and asked them politely "but if its a copy how do you know if its a copy of the original or a copy of a copy...?". Bizarre...
    MFW: Original June 2036 // Aim March 2025 - 27//120 payments // Avg Daily Interest £4.84
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Aug 2012: £146,818 // Aug 2015: £131,010 Current: £107,618.31
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 42.45% of £41,000
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 24th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Morning all - I am up early as usual. I wish I could manage to sleep in later at the weekend, but getting up early does allow me to catch up on my diary.

So I have had another week spent down in London and boy was it hot, or at least it was when I managed to leave the office. Inside the office they had the air con turned up to "Arctic" and I had to wear my jacket.

It was lovely when I did eventually get outside, I do quite London in the summer, it has a real holiday feel about it. My hotel room was a typical London broom cupboard though and was like an oven and unfortunately the aircon unit was too big for the very small space, so when it was turned on was like being in a wind tunnel ! I seemed to spend all week being either too hot or too cold.

Anyway back up North now and the weather is much cooler, which I am glad about as DD is walking 27 miles today as part of a charity challenge. We are going to meet her at the 17 mile point and taking extra supples and will probably walk with them for a few miles.

DS is still supposed to be getting the keys to his house on Friday, although the house didn't look very ready when we popped round on Thursday night. The house looks finished but there is no road or driveway up to it yet, just piles of builder rubble, so they will need to get a wriggle on to get it finished by Friday. He has decided not to move in straight away as he is busy for the next couple of weekends- a charity skydive next weekend and abroad for a wedding the following weekend. So it will be probably the weekend after when he properly moves out.

I feel as if I have lost the plot a bit financially this month. I seem to be endlessly spending money when I am away. Luckily I can claim a lot of it back, but there is currently a big hole in my bank account while I am waiting for my expenses to be paid (£243). I also don't have as much time for the food planning and preparation- there has been no Sunday cookathon for the last few weeks because I have been working and that makes a big difference to the food budget. I am probably going to continue to be flat out at work through July but I am hoping it will quieten down in August.

The good news though is that N@tionwide have finally said that they will pay the switching bonus - the bad news is they can't do it until 30 June which is their next payment run apparently. I have been deeply unimpressed by them tbh, and I have given them that feedback . Anyway I am expecting an extra £200 next Friday

That is all my news I think, I feel a bit of an MFW lightweight at the moment. I don't have very much to report on the money saving front and it is normally all the small MSE things that make the difference but they are just not happening at the moment Hopefully normal service will be resumed in August
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 973 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Life does sound very busy at the moment, August will be here before you know it!

I've been taking a fleece with me to the office I've been working in, madness when it is so hot outside to have it so cold inside that you need warm clothes on. I've been going for a walk at lunchtime just to warm up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,352Users online

Martin's Twitter