Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 31st Mar 16, 3:47 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 118Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Little Birdie gets chipping!
    • 31st Mar 16, 3:47 PM
    Little Birdie gets chipping! 31st Mar 16 at 3:47 PM
    Hello,

Wow what a great little place this is!

Ok so usually I'm this little motivated girl but I need just a little support to get this debt cleared.

Basically didn't have a clue how to budget at uni and got into £4,000 debt! Luckily it was just a 0% overdraft.

Decided to face this when I got my first proper job. I have spent the last 13 months clearing it and I'm down to £785! I'm sooo close.

Sadly no motivation left though! So thought starting a blog would be a great start.

I have a budget and write down everything I spend. I like it but I must admit it can sometimes take the fun away!

I'm putting £100 a month towards it. I know it's nothing compared to some people so I am trying not to dwell too much!

I also want to start this blog so when I am out of debt I dont get into debt again.

Any helpful tips or advice on budgeting to ways to save money will be very welcome.
    Last edited by Littlebirdie; 07-04-2016 at 9:07 PM.
Page 2
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 23rd Jun 16, 9:05 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Hi there!

I started my own diary this week, and have been browsing (nosying) through some others today. I've seen yours and thought I'd post and say hi x

Sounds like you've had a tough month, hope ur ok x
    I'm using my phone to quote so it's tough to look back and quote what you've written above, but I wanted to say well done for clearing so much of your £4,000 that's a fantastic thing to do!
    I think losing debt is like losing weight, the last few pounds are the hardest to shift!

You've got my sympathys regarding the car, it's sooooo expensive,
    Buy the car, 6 - 12 months services, MOT, petrol (everyone expects free lifts cos ur going to the same place / nearby and most people rarely contribute to petrol) parking costs a fortune most places, and insurance -especially if your a first time driver or have got 0 no claims is so expensive. And you never know when it will break down, blow a tyre, etc and u need to pay out more.

Can you tell I hate my car!!!

I'm finding that posting every day on my diary is really helping to keep me focussed and motivated, I wish you all the luck with yours x
    I will come back soon and see how you're doing if u don't mind xxxx
    Originally posted by rexelpink
    Hey,

Thanks for popping by - at times it seemed like I was talking to myself ha!
    You know what - never thought of money like weight ...I'll remember that one. The last slog is defo a tough one.

Arghhh I honestly think how do people afford a car!? Like seriously!? Its crazy at how expensive they are.

Please do pop by - I like visitors xx
    Overdraft: £1650/£2000
    Aim to be cleared by October 16! July 2017
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 23rd Jun 16, 9:13 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Hey,

I thought this day would never come.....I've got a new job! I can not believe it. Not only is it a promotion but its a blommin good company! I am thrilled to bits.

So I'm moving to the city after all!

I had been through so many interviews that I said if I didnt get this one I needed a 3 month break to get over all the rejection ....its tiring!

Anywho dont need to worry about that

So my pay will go up to about £1800 a month which is a £350 extra a month. BUT housing will be more expensive, I want to pay into the help to buy ISA and I'm going to join a gym just becasue I really enjoy it. I'll also prob go out more too.

I've still got my sensible brain about me though and I can hardly see myself going crazy...I can't go a week without tracking my money so it will be fine.

Offered to do a volunteering shift this sat so that's free travel into the city and free lunch..yipee I'll see a really good friend afterwards also.

So looking this month yeah I may overspend by £20 or so quid but that last year I have saved way more than I bugeted for so screw it ...it'll work out!

Ahhh I can relax
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 26th Jun 16, 8:05 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Hello,

So 2 days until pay day! I've been looking through my little spending app..

I've spent £123.65 (usually around £100) on travel and £55 (usually around £40) in coffee shops ! You know what I rarely compare how much my spending changes in each category over the months.....I spend ALOT in coffee shops.... What do I have to show for it? I've spent £75 on alcohol but I dont regret that as I've had lots of fun.

I've put £43.78 extra towards my overdraft. Now I did need to transfer £50 in case I over spent but I'm hoping to put that back. That came out of my holiday fund. Worst case scenario I overspend by £10-20. After the month I have had I'm just not going to be harsh on myself. I've still saved a good aound towards my overdraft and £12 to my emergency fund and £12 to my emergency car repair fund.

I tried so hard to get my new phone through a cashback website but I tried 2 different websites and neither would accept it...I just didnt get it! I even spoke to them on the phone and they could not explain it. So I had to go into the shop. I bought a new iphone on a 0% credit card which I think is for 25 months but I've set up a direct debit to pay off £20 a month over 18 months. Which is shorter than if I was to buy a montly contract. Then my phone bill will only be £10 on top...so I'm roughly spending the same amount as if I got it on contact but over a shorter period.happy with that!
    I'll just make sure I recyle it through the cashback website....that has to work

I'm curious how much my expenses will change over the next month or so with the move... it's really hard to plan for. Oh well I'm just gonna have to go for it and make the best of it.
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 11th Sep 16, 7:16 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Hello,

So it has been a little while but thought might aswell update you all!

So I've moved to London and I'm really happy with the move. I was living at home and eating out for every meal. Not MSE but I have my very good reasons which I would prefer not to disclose on here.

So in terms of finaces well its very up and down.

The month between jobs was VERY expensive and all my own fault. None the less I wrote it all down rather than ignoring it.

I did have £1000 in the savings account but I had to pay >£300 for a work course which I will get back. It's annoying as I was going to take my overdraft down to £1500 and leave £500 in the account for emerencies..none the less I'll get it back. I just need to be patient.

I've also set up 11 accounts to do the whole 'piggy banking thing'. I really hope I can do it.

I think where I havent been very happy recently and having moved to a new area I've been drinking a little more than I would like. I'm aware this needs to change which is the most important thing.

This month I reallllllly want to stay in budget. The only reason I wouldnt is if I spend too much money on alcohol. Here goes, wish me luck....
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 17th Sep 16, 11:41 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    so I've been trying to pay of my final £2000 overdraft and I decided to build up the money in a savings account to earn interest. It's a great idea but when you don't have any other savings it is naturally that account that gets hit. So at this time I only have £600 in it and my predicted time to pay it off was August. Now the money I've taken out I'm paying back in monthly installments and £360 I'll get back from work. I am annoyed that I didn't pay off my overdraft as I went along.

Well long story short on Friday I went into the bank and reduced my overdraft to £1850! Such a good feeling. I want to keep £500 in this account just in case. Now from now on I'm gonna go onto the bank on pay day and reduce my overdraft my £200 each month!

I'm also doing the piggy banking and saving up emergency funds. So I'm feeling positive but realistic about the future of my finances!!
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 24th Sep 16, 7:37 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    So another little update.

Expensive week this week - although doing things that make me happy. A friend came over and I suggested eating in rather than going out. It came to ~£15 whereas eating out would at least come to £20. I bought the food she bought the wine. Also it's such a brill friend that I don't mind spending money with her.

I went out for foods and drinks with someone also. Use to meet up with this person a lot but sadly I think these meet ups are going to dwindle out. None the less I was lucky and got the cheap round!

This week should hopefully be cheap!
    I'm going to use my freezer stores for food so hopefully no dinners need to be bought or made. I just need to get some fruit and lunch bits from li@l ( I'm how else to disguise it ha). Not sure what I'm having for lunch. Something cheap that will last me alllll week.

I've been eating really badly this last month but I need to get back on it. I've also been drinking more than usual so that's going hopefully decrease.

I'm going to aim for 4 NS days this week or at least low spend days.

Good news for some reason the thing I wanted to buy on AS@S didn't go through so I'm going to wait till next month. Also I didnt realise I could go through a cash back website so going to do that!

7 days till pay day and hopefully reducing my overdraft by another £200!
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 24th Sep 16, 8:39 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    ab_saver
    It's so satisfying when you can lop big chunks off the overdraft each month - I imagine going in person must be even more so!
    I think it's really important to prioritise things that are good for you both physically and mentally - if I'm miserable I tend to spend more money so I'm trying to view things that make me happy as investments.
    Good luck with NSDs this week
    Pesky student overdraft gone _House fund: ~£300 / £10,000_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £15.75/ 1000
    NSDs Sept 6/7 Oct 19/18 Nov 17/15 Dec 2/12_ GC Oct: £15.62/40 Nov: £71.89/75 Dec £6.48/75
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 25th Sep 16, 7:44 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Hey thanks for popping by Absaver!
    I'm so glad you agree - it's so easy to feel
    guilty about spending money. Today I bought myself a crepe from a pop up market. It's sad but I love crepes as they remind me of holiday! Luckily it isn't there every weekend so I won't be tempted all the time. I have to be sensible though and resisted a £3 (!!!) brownie and probably about 20 other purchases I considered making. Have a good week 😊
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 29th Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    I am thrilled to bits - the first month of doing the mini savings pots has been a complete success! I've saved over £300. It's such a good feeling knowing I have money saved for Christmas and birthdays, holidays, haircuts etc etc.

Next month will be expensive but to be honest I always start the month being quite nervous about the next month.

I've got lots of exciting things planned which I think is important to do. I'm quite good at saying no to things in advance if I know it will be an expensive month.

I have a holiday coming up so thinking of getting the coach to the airport to save some money. Will look into it over the weekend!
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 6th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    So for some reason I'm spending lots at the minute. Only little things but it's all adding up!

I'm a bit grumpy at the minute - that I imagine has a lot to do with it!

I've signed up to webuybooks to make me feel better - hopefully can make money on there!

Got a few things to sell too - just need to get round to it!
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 6th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    ab_saver
    So for some reason I'm spending lots at the minute. Only little things but it's all adding up!

I'm a bit grumpy at the minute - that I imagine has a lot to do with it!
    Originally posted by Littlebirdie
    I know that feeling - I'm trying to find constructive things to divert it to e.g. gym. That said you have to have some pleasures, and they can't all be virtuous! This book selling sounds like something constructive and moneysaving. I'm far too attached to my books and if challenged would say why I *need* all of them.
    Pesky student overdraft gone _House fund: ~£300 / £10,000_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £15.75/ 1000
    NSDs Sept 6/7 Oct 19/18 Nov 17/15 Dec 2/12_ GC Oct: £15.62/40 Nov: £71.89/75 Dec £6.48/75
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 9th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    I know that feeling - I'm trying to find constructive things to divert it to e.g. gym. That said you have to have some pleasures, and they can't all be virtuous! This book selling sounds like something constructive and moneysaving. I'm far too attached to my books and if challenged would say why I *need* all of them.
    Originally posted by ab_saver

Thanks ab_saver!

I must get around and actually put up books!
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 9th Oct 16, 10:19 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Hello,

So I've got lots to say so bullet point form it will be:

- This month has been an expensive one already. It's pnly the 9th! I feel guilty for saying it's al on sociable stuff. We are on day 9 of the month and I've spent £72 on eating out

- I've got this work conference next month ..accomodation will be £140 which I will be paying for. It is such a brilliant experience that I'm just going to have to accept it..work wont pay it. I do have some extra income coming in so that will be paid for by that. I'm sad that its not going to savings but hey ho it all spins in roundabouts.

- I've also got my friends wedding coming up abroad and I was not expecting it to be so expensive. That will be paid for from my 2nd job. It makes me think if I didnt have thta job...what would I do? I was thinking of quitting it but actually it may be what is keeping me afloat. Especially in these early years when I'm finding my feet.

- On the positive I have booked my coaches to see my friend in December and to get to the airport next month and I have saved so much money not getting the train. And I got cash back which was under a £1 but still good.

- I had £49 last month which I thought was going towards a bill but it was coming out this month insead. I'm trying to save it but looking the way it is going I'll have to use it.

- Times like this I'm glad I've reduced the limit on my overdraft as subconsiously I would think 'its ok you have that savings..you've got plenty of time to pay it off' hence why I'm well past the predicted deadline.

So I'm glad I've written this post as it's brought the wake up I needed. The next few months are going to be expensive and it will be ok if I keep my head on my shoulders.

-
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 9th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    ab_saver
    So I'm glad I've written this post as it's brought the wake up I needed. The next few months are going to be expensive and it will be ok if I keep my head on my shoulders.
    Originally posted by Littlebirdie
    I think you've hit the nail on the head there - you have your head screwed on and will get through the more expensive times - you still have to live and have a social life!
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 12th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Thanks ab_saver always good to hear my thoughts are sain

So spendings today:

£98 train fair
    of that £48 will be paid back by friend (she will pay soon)
    I did get this on cash back ... I think under a £1 ...every little helps I guess
    Its a fun trip with a bunch of girls who can rarely get together.
    I know though - expensive.
    Coach was just that litttle bit too long.

£27 prim@rk
    two scarves (£14) and 6 pairs of tights (£10) which should get me through the winter.
    I didn't need two scarves. In my head I said 'well you didnt buy any scarves last year'....yeah I know

£2.40 - running armband
    I did also get this on cashback
    I didnt need this.

Also next month I have the £150 accomodation to pay for .
    It will come out of my long term savings but when I get paid for the extra time at work that will pay for it. It wont pay for it fully though

£12.50 - Nation@l express for my work trip
    Fingers crossed work will pay for this!

Okay lets come up with a plan.....

I currently have budgeted £20 for a car (small I know but you just never know when I will get a car and it will all add up!)

So if I dont save that this month and next month that is £40

I'll be away for around 1 week so that will save on the food shop £30

I also budget £45 for each weekend so I'll be away abroad for one weekend (money already budgeted for that) so that saves £45

Currently I have £75 in my holiday account which will give around £80 in euros but I would like around £100 so if I just save the extra £30 which I have budgeted for this month and then save nothing for holidays next month. This is a bit risky as I need to book flights for the wedding in the summer but I'll use the income from my second job to pay for these. So that saves £70

Oh I also have £49 from last month but I have been keeping it incase I over spend this month.

So basically I just need to focus on having a very cheap month....better go and make my lunch for tomorrow then (which I do all the time anway )

Anyone that got to the end of that......
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 15th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Feeling a bit better about money this weekend.

Lunch defrosted and ready to be eaten.

Had a look in the freezer and lots of dinners for this week but all similar. I really wish we had a bigger freezer. Next weekend I'll need to some batch cooking.

Ive finished with one of my peanut butter jars so that is going to be my spare change money saving pot.

There might be a dinner out during the week. Not money saving but my team isn't very money saving and it's hard to say no. I hope it's not like this every month! I think as long as I keep track of it, it should be fine.

Doing my second job today...boring but so worth it!
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 20th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    I'm mortified to say that this month has been filled with dinner out, a big boozy night out, clothes shopping. I hope it won't be like this next month - we'll it can't be. I think it is just because I'm catching up with everyone post the move.

I think December I'm going to fill most weekends with my second job to stop my spending.

It doesn't help that there is so much temptation in the city. I'm still getting use to the big supermarkets being on my doorstop and having SO much choice. Hmmmm not really a good enough excuse.

The thing is I'm happy but finically this is a rubbish month.

Feeling a tad fed up
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 22nd Oct 16, 6:51 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Soooo I've decided to reduce next months overdraft payment to £150....the thought of how tight next month has been is consuming my little brain!

I spent £24 on my food shop but I'll be getting some money back on that - glad!

One of my items on eBag have sold! So far only 0.99p but well it's better than nothing!

I've had to pay for the Christmas party this month and there was a purse in the sale today for £10. I really needed one and it was down from £26 so got it.

Next month is going to be an expensive one but December will be cheapie!

I took back my scarf which gave me £7. It all helps!
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 29th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    So glad this month is nearly over! It's been a long old month. Next month should be a good one. Also next month hoping to pay off a bir chunk from my overdraft aiming for £400 (!!). Hopefully should also get some money back from friends. I can't but help a tad fed up of paying off rather than paying 'up'. At least my little money pots are up and running.

I really would like some new clothes but I just don't think will happen. I've already spent my clothes budget on rehealing my shoes and a new purse - £30 spent.

I'm worrying about money but really I've got nothing to worry about - think I'm just tired!

On Monday I'll pop to the bank and pay off £165 off my overdraft
    - down to £1485....glad to have it under £1500!
    • Littlebirdie
    • By Littlebirdie 30th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Littlebirdie
    Been a cheap and quite weekend...no alcohol which was nice.

Been looking at my credit rating. Now that I am actually reducing my overdraft m credit rating is improving massively. That makes me smile.

So just made a timeline on my phone.....I reckon I can have this overdraft paid off by Februarys pay packet....wow that would be before I turn 26. I could then start my new age saving for the future....that is incredibly motivating. Right lets do this!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

429Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter