Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 30th Mar 16, 12:37 PM
    • 141Posts
    • 184Thanks
    A debt free Beautiful - Moose
    • 30th Mar 16, 12:37 PM
    A debt free Beautiful - Moose 30th Mar 16 at 12:37 PM
    Ok so here is my story, the short version so as to not bore you all.........

I racked up a lot of debt between 2010 and 2015. I was stupid, I used my credit card to bail my parents our of trouble after my dad lost his job and my mum got diagnosed with cancer and couldn't work. I had to do it but I now realise I will never see that money paid back so their debt is now mine.
    I also fell into a depression and used my card to try and spend my way to happiness. Needless to say in the short term it worked but long term it has not.
    I met my partner in 2012 and rather than tell him about my money problems I kept on spending to allow us to do nice things together in life. Holidays, football matches, nights out. In July 2015 we moved in together into a lovely little flat which we are very happy in.

At the beginning of this year we both had a bit of a light bulb moment and realised we need to sort our money out once and for all. We both need to change our ways with money and start to make a better life for ourselves so we aren't struggling every month from one pay day to the next. We are both 30 next year and want to start thinking about having kids and having a nice house for them to grow up in and right now with our current debt that dream is all it will ever be if we don't change.

Currently as a household our debt stands at 20k on cards and I have a 12k loan that will finish in October 2019. Our aim is to both be debt free by 1st Jan 2020

So here is my little diary to keep me on track and hopefully one day I will be able to read this back as a debt free Beautiful - Moose.
Page 2
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 27th May 16, 5:04 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    It's been a while since I have updated my diary so here goes.........

This month has been bad money wise, I dipped in to my savings money to help us as we had overspent somewhere along the line. I was so angry and annoyed with myself but rather than keep beating myself up over it I have used it as a valuable lesson learnt to not make the same mistakes this month or any more months to come. We have quite a big month ahead coming up so sticking to a budget is crucial! No dipping in to the savings again.

The Bank Holiday weekend is upon us and always a time where overspending can happen. We have a friends birthday drinks to go to on Sunday. Already our money saving ways have changed us in that we have decided against going to have Sunday lunch with everyone in the pub and eating indoors (I am planning to make a Shepard's Pie and saving the leftovers for another meal next week) We can then just head there for the evening part for a few drinks and sticking to a budget for the evening. We can get a bus there and back again so no spending on cabs either.

We have a friends wedding coming up in 2 weeks time. This is our 3rd wedding in 3 years and all have been at the same venue! So we have now got pretty good at working out our day in terms of train times, how to get home, how much drinks will cost us etc. We are planning to take 50 with us for drinks for the day. 50 for a cab home, it's a lot cheaper than a Saturday night stay in a hotel, plus there will be five of us all heading the same way home so sharing the cab will only cost us 20 as a couple and we have the added bonus of sleeping in our own bed and dealing with our (possible) hangovers indoors.

The following week we have a week off! YAY!! The week starts with a trip to Manchester to see The Stone Roses for my BF birthday. We booked the tickets last year when we were still in our silly spending phase. Again another lesson learnt! We are still excited for it as they are one of our fave bands. We have a hotel booked for a one night stay, we will eat cheap before hand, enjoy the gig and have a bit of a date night, hopefully in the sunshine. Just because it is part of a birthday celebration doesn't mean we need to spend loads while we are there.

It's pay day today so all the bills are paid or will be coming out of the account over the next few days. The rent is paid. Food shopping needs to be done.

But for tonight I shall go home and enjoy a nice bottle of wine after a stressful day.........
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 8th Jun 16, 12:33 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Today I made a fairly big step in the journey to becoming debt free. I have upped the direct debit amount on my biggest credit card debt. Starting at the end of the month they will be taking the new amount from me. It's scary but needs to be done. According to the snowball calculator it will be August 2019 when I will finally be rid of the stupid thing! Not long at all really.

My BF has agreed to transfer me some more money starting on his payday this month to help cover the costs of the Card Debt, Loan and car costs. I made a case to him that we both use my car even though I am the driver, a lot of the card debt is joint from tickets to the flat deposit and furniture and the loan is again joint as I gave him 1k of it to pay off this overdraft which has massively helped us with budgets but still is responsibility too. He agreed he needed to pay his way more so I am pleased we are making steps to clear our debts.
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 17th Jun 16, 2:43 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Only a few more hours to go then I am off work for a week! YAY!!

Tonight we head up on the train to Liverpool, I have pre-made sandwiches for the train from left over cheese and sandwich thins I had in work this week. Just need to get a drink and I am all sorted.

I am looking forward to seeing my grandparents again. We are staying with them which is a massive help and saves us so much money on hotels. Looking forward to being able to watch the Belgium v Ireland game with my Granddad who is Irish.
    Sunday is the big day - Stone Roses gig! I am really looking forward to it, just hope the weather isn't cold and wet as Manchester has a tendency to be a bit like that. We are planning to do the trip on the cheap as we are both a little on the skint side until next Friday but we have just about enough to manage on and still have a good time.

It's the BF birthday during our week off and just before we get paid so I am using my head a bit on this one and rather than spending loads on him I am going to do some nice things for him that don't cost a bomb. I will go for a run while he has a lie in, then tea in bed, then a trip to the local cafe as he likes a fry up - 4, then we are going over to his parents house for dinner so a free dinner off them and I think I can stretch to a pint in his old local pub (and one for myself) so a whole birthday done for under 15 and he will be a happy man for the day.
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 17th Jun 16, 8:27 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    I bet you can't wait for your week off.. Sounds very relaxing with some lovely plans.
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start's a whole new world!!
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 28th Jun 16, 9:44 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Well that was a lovely week off, went far too quickly but then time flies when you are having fun.

So over the whole course of the week off I went 40 in to my overdraft, this was mainly the day before payday as we went out for birthday drinks for my bf last Friday and I got dragged into rounds with friends and a cab home as the bf had a bit too much of a good time (he paid for it the next day). So an expensive lesson learnt but it has already been paid off so I am not too worried by it.

July is looking like a quiet month for us. When I say quiet it means we actually have no plans during the week nights and at least one day of the weekend to ourselves. This weekend is the only one that is going to be hectic. My friend runs her own nursery and is having a school fair so I am going to show my support and attend that on Saturday morning, Saturday night is a family friends 50th birthday. The pub it is in is walking distance from our place so no travel costs and the drinks are very cheap, I am planning on not drinking very much if at all as I have my Race for Life 5k on Sunday morning so I do not want to be doing the race hungover so we should only need 20 for the both of us to go to this party.

I have another hen party to go to this month - a day at the races. I have already paid for my ticket so just need a train ticket and drink money so I need to set aside 50 for the day. I am not a great betting person so I may have a quid or two on the odd horse but betting big is never going to be for me.

I also have a 30th birthday in a pub over the other side of London. In a way this is good as it means we need to leave with enough time to make our last trains home so we won't be in a position to drink too much or stay out too late. Another 25 will probably be needed for this.

I have a small bonus due this month so I am using the money to take us out to dinner but not just any dinner a proper steak dinner as his birthday present.

All the bills are being paid today or coming out of my account over the next week. We have to pay for the TV License this month too which we weren't expecting so it's probably a good thing we don't have any weeknight plans this month. And now England and Ireland are out of the Euros there will be no more need for weeknights in the pub watching their games.

We need to do a cupboard and freezer inventory tonight so we don't go over spending on stuff at the Supermarket tomorrow night.

I have planned for my mates to come over to my house on Friday night to save some pennies on going out. Drinks and food indoors can be just as fun as going out I think.
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 1st Aug 16, 6:38 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Already in August I can't believe how quick this year is going!!

My race for life went well and I have raised almost 400 which is way over my 150 target I set myself.

The day at the races was brilliant and I managed to win 30 for a 5 bet which was a welcome surprise to my day and helped me get through the month. I did well to say no to the additional activities too and after we came back from the races I headed straight home.

I didn't end up going to my friends 30th in the end as I had hurt my foot which saved me some pennies as in the end we went to a local fair. We walked there, had a bottle of wine and sat on the grass drinking and eating for hours and all for under a tenner! We also decided to cancel the birthday dinner as again I was unwell with Sinusitis and my bad foot so we are going during our week off in August.

I managed to do our big monthly shop for 35 thanks to the use of vouchers and using up bits and pieces we have left over in our fridge and cupboards. A few mini shops to top up but we probably meant we spent a good 25 less on food last month which shows how much we buy up stuff for no reason.

This month I have got a few things going on which I know I need to include in my budget planning. I have two dinner dates planned this week, one with friends I haven't seen since Xmas and another with the friend I did my 5k run with as our belated celebration dinner so I need to make sure I set some cash aside for that and eat out somewhere reasonably priced. Me and the BF are off to Amsterdam at the end of the month which is a first for both of us. A cheap mini break we booked a while back while 3 of my best friends are off in Las Vegas. I couldn't afford to go so my boyfriend suggested we do something nice while they are away so we now have this mini 2 night break booked up, a spa day when we come back and then we are going out for my boyfriends overdue birthday dinner and a trip up The Shard which was my birthday present from him. So this month we both need to be extra good so we can enjoy the week off fully and we both need to change up some Euros for spending and then again when we get paid the day before we go.

I am also finally in the process of trying to sell my old car. Fingers crossed I can sell her off to a good home and make some money on her which can then use towards some of the card debts I have.

My parents house is back on sale wise but for less money than originally agreed (thank you brexit!!) So I have a feeling there will be a day/weekend of clearing out cupboards and selling off games, CDs, books and clothes to make a few more pennies.

I am also on a mission to lose some weight so I need to think of some cheap but healthy dinner ideas other than beans on toast and eggs on toast and salads otherwise I may die of food boredom before I lose weight. I might do the Lean in 15 plan as I have heard good things about it and the meals look quick and easy to make. Anyone who is reading this diary and has any opinions on it then let me know :-)
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 9th Sep 16, 12:19 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    So not sure how it has all happened but I have massively messed up with my money this month. It is only 9th Sept and already I am nearly at the end of my overdraft. I have come to the conclusion that I really am just sh*t with money.

I am now looking in to taking a 2nd job on the weekends to help me spend less and earn more to pay off my debts quicker. I just can't seem to do this. Every time I think I am making progress I end up back at square one again, I am so disappointed in myself right now.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 11th Sep 16, 7:24 AM
    • 3,696 Posts
    • 10,857 Thanks
    Hi BM,

Keep going, everyone has blips now and again. It's a learning curve that's all.

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: 9050.00 Overdraft: 2750.00

15-20 NSD - 8/20, 10 LSD - 5/10, 15 AFD - 0/15, Lunches to work 9/20 LAD - 4/10

20p Savers 2016 2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 10th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    So the whole debt free journey is turning out to be a lot harder than I first though it would be. I feel like every month I am a duck in a pond. On the surface there doesn't look like there is any problems at all, but underneath I am paddling frantically to keep going and not drown.

My parents are moving out of their home today. 16 years we have been in that house so it is sad to see them leave it. I have spent all my pretty much all my teens and majority of my 20's in that house so I have a lot of good memories of the place to take with me. From a selfish point of view I can only hope as well that from the sale of the house my parents might give me and my sister some money so we can go and buy our own homes. However I would be using the money first to pay off as much debt if not all of it so I could have a clean slate and start again. I have well and truly learnt my lesson and I will never get into this position again. I would love the chance to start again and take on all the lessons I have learnt so far on this site of how to live a debt free and frugal lifestyle but yet still having fun. I'd love to be debt free just so I can remember what it was like to not worry about money on a daily basis.

I shall be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that some money will be coming my way some time soon. Money has always been a touchy subject with my parents so I don't want to bring it up on let them in on my money problems just now as I don't know how they would react to it.

On a happier note I am celebrating my Nana's 80th birthday with a special meal and then next Wednesday I am off to Portugal for 5 days to celebrate my Mum's 60th birthday. I plan to just sit by the pool, read a book and just chill out most of the time as I certainly won't have that much spending money to be doing much else. I am going in to the crazy season where all the birthday's that are happening are big ones. I have my boyfriend and all my best friends turning 30 this year and in 2017, the first one happened last weekend. I also have my Dad's 60th and a cousins 21st happening next year too. I have a feeling 2017 is going to break me financially if I don't keep on top of things.
    • Beautiful-Moose
    • By Beautiful-Moose 13th Oct 16, 11:22 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Well I crossed my fingers and toes for some money to be coming my way and I have just had some great news! I have been given a pay rise in work! It's only 2k a year more but in my eyes any extra money is always welcome.

In the past I would have already be planning what to spend the extra income on. This time round I am thinking hopefully the extra bit of money per month will actually help me to keep me on track with my debt payments, stay out of my overdraft for good and leave me a lot less stressed each month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

634Posts Today

5,611Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yay. Thank you for all your help Colin. Thankfully it's feeling a little better #lovelychap

• Going to try and see if it's possible. If not my 400 day run of never missing target will end :(

• Thank you for all your kind wishes.Not sure now if it's a hamstring tear now. Feels like very bad cramp in the back of my thigh

• Follow Martin