Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicolakate
    • By nicolakate 26th Mar 16, 6:16 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nicolakate
    BMW what to do?
    • 26th Mar 16, 6:16 PM
    BMW what to do? 26th Mar 16 at 6:16 PM
    Hi all,

Just wanted some advice to be honest, my pride and joy a 1 series 118d sport blew on Tuesday with 4 finance payment left.
    I was 500 yards from home when the amber oil light flashed and right away I started to loose power so I stopped the engine and called the AA.
    He wouldn't even look at the car said he needed to get it straight to the garage as Bmw have a known issue with the engine I have.

Once at my local garage they said the same thing, and to leave it with them and they would see what they can do. So now I have no car.
    I went to the local BMW garage and explained I may need a new car at which they offered me 1500 without a working engine as the spec inside is so good. I was looking at another 1 series but as the sales guy had a cant be arsed attitude and took a personal call whilst dealing with me so its put me off.
    My question is What can I do if the engine has blown I would have thought BMW have a duty to inform customers of the potential engine issue wouldn't they?.
    Ive been advised by my local (not bmw) garage that they should have recalled my car but they didn't obviously where do I stand.
    Im quit upset as if it cant be fixed im going to be starting again with no deposit to buy a new car and having to take finance again.
    Any advice would be fantastic please tia nicola
Page 2
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 27th Mar 16, 7:24 PM
    • 4,308 Posts
    • 3,160 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Yes, my sons is one of the engines at risk - though not enough of a risk for BMW to do something pre-emptively.

What surprises me is the hugely long service intervals and the fact the engine does, naturally use oil. So your engine could be very low on oil, the oil be old and at its end of life, and your timing chain / tensioner could be wearing excessively.

I dont think too many people check their oil until the oil pressure light (which they think is a low oil level light) comes on, and by then a lot of the damage could already be done.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    There is no way that BMW will do anything pre-emptively as they would need to recall hundreds of thousands of engines - not all of which are going to fail - and there is no safety element in this - only a financial disaster for anyone who doesn't have a full service history.

As to 'lifting the bonnet' I remember a few years back there was a motoring organization doing free 'weekly checks' for people at several motorway service areas over a bank holiday weekend and they reported that over 75% of vehicles they checked had low oil levels, low coolant levels and low tyre pressures.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 27th Mar 16, 7:53 PM
    • 10,514 Posts
    • 7,411 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I dont think too many people check their oil until the oil pressure light (which they think is a low oil level light) comes on, and by then a lot of the damage could already be done.
    On some newer cars the choice is out of your hands as there's no way of manually checking the oil levels.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 27th Mar 16, 8:08 PM
    • 4,308 Posts
    • 3,160 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    On some newer cars the choice is out of your hands as there's no way of manually checking the oil levels.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I don't see that as a problem actually as they usually have a system that gives early warning that a top up is needed.

Having said that I would prefer to have the traditional dip-stick as well.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 27th Mar 16, 8:25 PM
    • 16,184 Posts
    • 9,416 Thanks
    motorguy

There is no way that BMW will do anything pre-emptively as they would need to recall hundreds of thousands of engines - not all of which are going to fail - and there is no safety element in this - only a financial disaster for anyone who doesn't have a full service history.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Yes, though simply reducing the long life service interval would be a good help towards prevention.

Also they have done preventative work - there is an upgrade done if the car is believed to be at risk - though only if the car is in anyway, its not a recall.

As to 'lifting the bonnet' I remember a few years back there was a motoring organization doing free 'weekly checks' for people at several motorway service areas over a bank holiday weekend and they reported that over 75% of vehicles they checked had low oil levels, low coolant levels and low tyre pressures.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Yes very scary - people just dont have a clue about basic maintenance any more.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 27th Mar 16, 8:26 PM
    • 16,184 Posts
    • 9,416 Thanks
    motorguy
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I cant think of a car that you cant check oil levels - usually you can check through the menu system in car.

Technically making it easier as you dont have to get your hands dirty...
    • bigjl
    • By bigjl 28th Mar 16, 1:45 AM
    • 6,261 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    bigjl
    I cant think of a car that you cant check oil levels - usually you can check through the menu system in car.

I did the rear brakes on a mates 116i a few weeks ago and tried several times to get it to give me the oil level and it failed to read every time.

Tried it hot, tried it cold.

Menu was same as in my 116D and I never had an issue on that one, I looked and couldn't see a dipstick.

I was always a big fan of the system on old Renaults where it gave you the oil level every time you started the car, back in the 90's it was an analogue gauge on later stuff it was a digital readout.

But all those Renaults still had a dipstick, not that many people bother anymore as was evident with the Fiat TwinAir engines seizing due to lack of oil when the engine first came out.

To be honest my wife has never checked the oil on any of her cars, when the oil light came on with her old Accent she put a pen on the binnacle to cover the light up and kept driving. I once added over a litre, which considering the sump was something like 3litres it really is surprising the car survived.

Last I heard from the person we sold it to the car was still running, still used oil as it had done since we bought it.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 28th Mar 16, 12:02 PM
    • 10,514 Posts
    • 7,411 Thanks
    neilmcl

I did say manually checking, eg, via a dipstick.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 16,184 Posts
    • 9,416 Thanks
    motorguy
    Hi!
    I had the same issue except the timing chain caused huge damage to my engine
    Bmw covered the timing chain replacement but not the damage it has caused (it!!!8217;s currently not drivable)
    How did you get on in the end?
    I have started a website and it will be running in a couple of weeks. I!!!8217;m sourcing people with this exact issue to share their story and hopefully bmw U.K. will listen if there is enough of us. Would you be willing to share your story and if it were to go to press willing to speak about your experience?
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by KiNo
    What age is your car? Does it have a full BMW service history? Have you had the car from new?

With respect, this has been a known issue for many, many years. If the worldwide corporation that is BMW have opted to not do anything more than they have, what hope do you have so far down the line with a few signatures on a website?

Prevention is better than cure with these engines - oil change every 10K miles, check and top up the oil weekly (as they do use oil).

The vast majority of people dont bother checking the oil level between one service and the next.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,664Posts Today

9,717Users online

Martin's Twitter