Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 22nd Mar 16, 3:51 PM
    • 633Posts
    • 1,364Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Chica's gonna get a house! (hopefully)...
    • 22nd Mar 16, 3:51 PM
    Chica's gonna get a house! (hopefully)... 22nd Mar 16 at 3:51 PM
    Hi anyone that's reading,

I hope this is the right place to put this diary, as I don't have any debt...but I do have goals.

My BF and I are hoping to be in a position early next year where we can purchase a place of our own. We live in an expensive area of the world (TOWIE land, but we won't mention that...) and we're both still living with our parents, which in our mid-to-late twenties isn't ideal. So the plan is to have £15,000 each by this time next year (if not earlier, a girl can dream...)

I went to Uni, did a four year degree with one year abroad, and after deciding not to go into Law (my main degree subject), I struggled to find a job that fitted my skillset. I had no work experience to speak of, so after my degree got a couple of McJobs (which I didn't hate, just the shift work and the rubbish pay), a job in the city, and finally a job working locally to me. I've finally got a salary that feels representative of what I do, and I feel in a good financial positition to get to where I want to be.

I'm not horrific with my money, but I'm also not perfect...I have a habit of denying myself something that I really need, to then buy something I don't quite so need, all because it was *cheaper*. Or I get trigger happy on my laptop when I've had a vodka on a Friday

Either way, I thought detailing it somewhere that wasn't in my head, or spouting it to my boyfriend and colleagues (who, let's be honest, don't want to know the intimiate detailings of my budget!) and I've read so many diaries on here that I've been inspired.

My hobbies
    • Yoga
    • Workouts with weights
    • Running (I am training to a half-marathon in June)
    • Writing
    • Most importantly - reading. I get through between 3-5 books a week
    Oh, does my cat count as my hobby? He's not technically mine, but he's my baby and I love him I spend more money on his treats than anything else!!

I hope to be back later to detail the financials, but for now, adios!

(And thanks for reading)
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 22-03-2016 at 4:10 PM.
Page 23
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 23rd Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Well had a nightmare morning, going to note it here in case I need it in future....

I'd just left my road to get to work, and the rubbish truck was blocking the road, and there's loads of parked cars there. There was a white car (won't say the brand just in case)....and the driver put the reverse lights on and started reversing. I couldn't work out but why but thought they just needed a bit more space. They were getting closer and closer, so I beeped to let them know I was there. And then they hit me! And then they rolled forward, and then hit me again! I got out my car to check and there was no damage, the other driver told me "sorry my clutch is bad"......

So I'm a bit shaken, and angry, but hopefully nothing will come of it. I didn't get her details because I've never been in this situation before and I needed to get to work. There's no damage on my car so doubt she can say anything as it was her fault. Just want to start today again...

In other news I've been doing well with spending, I'm up to 12 NSD's and an average spend per day of £8.47 (my goal for month is £10). I do have the weekend away in Brighton this week, and not sure how much I will spend as there will be dinners and a night out involved, but I can just try my best. I've got £90 to last until payday, here's hoping I'll be able to make it!
    House Deposit:£11,910.22/£14,000 = 85.07% Money Made'17 August: £41.04July:
    £4.95
    June: £5.35 May:£30.30April: £51.09March:£28.25Feb: £120.47 Jan:£14.35
    Total Made '16:£284.60
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 22nd Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Just a quick update to say bf got a £4k bonus which has boosted our savings even further, and with today's announcement that stamp duty is to be scrapped on properties under £300k, we're well on our way to getting our flat! We will still wait until January to apply for our MIP as it would be hectic to start looking at the moment, but it means we can definitely do it So happy!
    £4.95
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 9th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    It's been a long time but just thought I'd update...
    We're in the process of getting our AIP done (should be done by this afternoon), saw a couple of of places on Saturday, one was brilliant, one was a real let down. We've got a second viewing with the parents tonight of the first place, and then it may be offer time! I have other viewings lined up, but annoyingly barely any EAs round here will do viewings after 6pm which doesn't work for us, so they're not until next Saturday. One looks really good though, so not sure whether to hold off on the offer for the first place. BUT that one had already sold recently but fell through due to the buyers not getting a mortgage approved. All v stressful and lots of "what if's" but I am SO excited and nervous to be in this position finally!

I've not quite hit my target for the deposit, but my bf is way over so we're comfortably at 10%, with plenty left over for fees etc (and we've not even counted the H2B bonus in that).So happy about the stamp duty news, we had saved to cover it but now it can go on decoration and fun stuff
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 09-01-2018 at 9:35 AM.
    £4.95
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 9th Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Ah that is brilliant news! How incredibly exciting

Decoration and fun stuff is definitely the best bit after all the stress of buying.

Good luck
    CC Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 April 17 - £2500 Dec 17 - £560
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £374.47
    Every penny is a prisoner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,045Posts Today

9,768Users online

Martin's Twitter