Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 22nd Mar 16, 2:51 PM
    • 561Posts
    • 1,133Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Chica's gonna get a house! (hopefully)...
    • 22nd Mar 16, 2:51 PM
    Chica's gonna get a house! (hopefully)... 22nd Mar 16 at 2:51 PM
    Hi anyone that's reading,

I hope this is the right place to put this diary, as I don't have any debt...but I do have goals.

My BF and I are hoping to be in a position early next year where we can purchase a place of our own. We live in an expensive area of the world (TOWIE land, but we won't mention that...) and we're both still living with our parents, which in our mid-to-late twenties isn't ideal. So the plan is to have £15,000 each by this time next year (if not earlier, a girl can dream...)

I went to Uni, did a four year degree with one year abroad, and after deciding not to go into Law (my main degree subject), I struggled to find a job that fitted my skillset. I had no work experience to speak of, so after my degree got a couple of McJobs (which I didn't hate, just the shift work and the rubbish pay), a job in the city, and finally a job working locally to me. I've finally got a salary that feels representative of what I do, and I feel in a good financial positition to get to where I want to be.

I'm not horrific with my money, but I'm also not perfect...I have a habit of denying myself something that I really need, to then buy something I don't quite so need, all because it was *cheaper*. Or I get trigger happy on my laptop when I've had a vodka on a Friday

Either way, I thought detailing it somewhere that wasn't in my head, or spouting it to my boyfriend and colleagues (who, let's be honest, don't want to know the intimiate detailings of my budget!) and I've read so many diaries on here that I've been inspired.

My hobbies
    • Yoga
    • Workouts with weights
    • Running (I am training to a half-marathon in June)
    • Writing
    • Most importantly - reading. I get through between 3-5 books a week
    Oh, does my cat count as my hobby? He's not technically mine, but he's my baby and I love him I spend more money on his treats than anything else!!

I hope to be back later to detail the financials, but for now, adios!

(And thanks for reading)
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 22-03-2016 at 3:10 PM.
Page 20
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 6th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Sounds like everything is going well CB.

Expensive restaurant There's no way I'd spend that much so I'm with you. I went out last year and only had a £5 starter but they divided it up and wanted me to pay £23 ish. No way!

Could you just maybe join them from a drink after and skip the meal?
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    Hey Ena!

I know it's so crazy, this particular group really p'ed me off at New Years for a similar thing.....when I said something about it they said, "Well CB, it really works out fair because of drinks..." except it didn't because I'd had one cocktail and the rest had loads of wine, and bf and I only had 2 courses when everyone else had 3. My bf told me to drop it but it really ruins nights for me when people do stuff like that!!

I know how these meals go, and they'll be there for hours, so not sure we could join them for a drink after as no idea what time they'd go a drink/where they'd go. They generally only have time for 1 before it's time to head home, and it's a good 45 mins to travel into London for us so barely seems worth it. I feel like a miser sometimes but not everyone has such an easy going attitude with money. We went to a Gordon Ramsay restaurant before, I didn't even enjoy it as it was a set menu and I never like what's on them!!! God how miserable am I
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 06-03-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    House Deposit:£9379.71/£15,000 = 62.53% Money Made'17 March:£24.87Feb: £120.47 Jan: £14. 35Total Made '16:£284.60
    Clothes bought '17 - £105.99/£600

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 8th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Happy hump day!

Time for an update:
    Monday -was NSD3
    Tuesday - was a spendy day Spent on:
    amazon ebook - £4.67
    Tesco - £39.74 (including a new pair of jeans and food for bf and work)
    Petrol - £46.05
    eb@y- £14.49 (this was on a new gel polish I've been eyeing up for months, and some gel polish cleanser as mine has run out so can't do my nails )

Today is NSD4. I panicked this morning that I haven't run in 10 days and the half marathon is 11 days away!!! So I've just done 5 miles, and done my yoga stretching. Feel better for having gone.

Tomorrow is very scary as I'm giving blood for the first time. Was meant to do it in September but got ill a week beforehand, when I rearranged they could only do it & months later!!! And now it's tomorrow I'm sure it will be fine but the older I get the more queasy I get about blood-taking. It's not even needles that bother me, I hate my hand going numb when they put the tourniquet on Will report back on how I get on. I don't even know my blood type so will be interesting to do it for that result alone lol!
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 08-03-2017 at 6:36 PM.
    House Deposit:£9379.71/£15,000 = 62.53% Money Made'17 March:£24.87Feb: £120.47 Jan: £14. 35Total Made '16:£284.60

• Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 8th Mar 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    You're not miserable at all, you just want value for money and once your in a money saving mindset, or had your LBM, you don't want to really waste it. Why go out for a £100 meal when a £20 one is perfectly fine! It's the company that makes it

Good luck with the vampires
    Ll0yds CC £3180.05 £2600 / H@lifax CC - £1490 £0
    Nati0nwide CC - £558 £0 / Barcl@ycard CC - £890.80 £0
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 9th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Thanks Ena, it's so hard when people in your (extended) social circle don't have the same values in terms of money. It's a fine balance between being true to myself and seeming tight!

OMG I tried to give blood - turns out my veins are too small, and although they tried their best my blood was pumping too slow (I asked the woman and she said 37 is what is needed....I was doing 15 and it dropped to 4!!!! (I don't know what those numbers mean though so forgive my ignorance!) ) so they said thanks but don't come again you're not suitable!!!! Guess I'm off the hook. Shame as neither of my parents can't give blood so wanted to do my bit, never mind.

Today is NSD5, and I've just sold my first eb@y item in ages It's all packed up (using my hurty arm!) and will get sent off tomorrow. Will have made around £5, will work it out properly once it's been sent out and received.

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 11th Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Friday was not a NSD - I had to go down to the PO at lunchtime to post off my item, so I thought while I was there I'd get a lunch from the coop to treat myself for making it to Friday very MSE I know. I got a meal deal and a bottle of wine (for the evening....I'm not in the habit of drinking wine at the office!) So that was £8.64 spent.

Today I got up bright and early to pick up my glasses! Very exciting. Had a bit of a spend up while I was there I had to get in early as otherwise you don't get a parking space, so to kill sometime I got a flat white for £2.65, and read my book. Then picked up my glasses - can tell the prescription is a lot stronger than before (or maybe it's the adjustment for my astigatism....thanks for that mum!). Went to greggs to pick up a baguette for £3, and went to Boots as I've run out of concealer. Turns out they have a deal on that particular brand so everything is under £4. I picked up a concealer, another eyebrow powder as I go through like one a month (I should try to find one that lasts longer but I'm v picky about my eyebrows and I like the look this one gives me!), a plumping lipgloss (I know they don't *do* anything but I love the tingle ) some sensodyne and a packet of tissues for £22.88. Then sainsbos for chicken and chorizo for our meal later, for £4.40. Then £1.20 on parking. Then home!

The plan is to run 11 miles later today, hence the baguette....once I'm home I'll start trying to get used to my glasses!

After that it'll be round to the bf's, he's working on the weekend (again) and has his first referee match tomorrow so he's constantly on edge and exhausted. Can't wait until his weekends are free again, as it also benefits me

Happy weekend!!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 11th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Well it was so hot today and my IBS was playing up, so my 11 mile run turned into a 9 mile walk/run. Not too bad but bit gutting that my last run before the half was a bit poo!!! (EDIT: pun totally not intended )

Change of plan tonight as the bf is still at work, and is it's in London he's not going to be back for hours....and I was starving so needed to think about dinner so I think I'm staying in tonight and he'll see him tomorrow instead.

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 11th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Oh yeah and I managed to sell a necklace on eb@y....so that's £3.07 profit that will be moved across to the deposit fund when I'm sure the item has been received next week

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 12th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Today has been NSD6

I got some nice feedback from my buyer, so I've moved the money across from that sale into my deposit fund. Every little helps

Bf had a hard time refereeing his first match today I managed to lie in longer than intended this morning as I forgot to set my alarm, so today has only been vaguely productive. Went and saw bf in the afternoon and we had dinner together and watched orange is the new black (the end of season 2 is AMAZING! If anyone else watches it lol).

Gonna do some meditation and chill out, ready for work tomorrow. Last week I tried getting up a little earlier so I could do gentle yoga to wake me up, I've really enjoyed it so I will try to keep that up this week. Mission is to stay fit and healthy for the half marathon next weekend! I've had a cold threatening for a few weeks now so need it to hold off until after Sunday.....after that I couldn't care less

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 15th Mar 17, 3:20 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Ah I've been quiet because I've been a bit of a naughty spendy girl

Monday was technically NSD7, the technical part about that is a did an online clothes order for holiday clothes on my CC....they turned up yesterday, and I only liked 1 top and the necklace, so that's only £14 spent on the CC once the refund has gone through.

Tuesday was NSD8. Nothing else to report (luckily)

Today is technically NSD9, why technically again? Well I will be collecting a second hand MK bag for my holiday tonight....yes yes, I am spending like mad, I feel terrible! BUT, I will need a new holiday bag as the one I had last year was really not suitable and was a pain in my behind, and I was looking at this MK one for 3 days on a FB group, and I know I will get use out of it as a non-holiday bag as well....enough justification?
    I sold a top last night as well, so that was posted off today, along with my clothes returns.

I did try on some of the newer stuff again that I'd bought over the past few weeks, and I decided that one pair of jeans, and a top, can go right back, I don't love either of them. So the jeans will go back to the SM tomorrow, and the top on Saturday when I go into town. The money from them will be paid off my CC.

I feel a bit out of control again, I go in cycles like this. Spend then feel super guilty. So I am on a buying ban until at least the end of March....tomorrow I will need to the SM for dinner for bf and I, and I will need some blister plasters for my half marathon on Sunday. Can easily do under a tenner. NO OTHER BITS!!!! Listen woman
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 15-03-2017 at 3:22 PM.

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 17th Mar 17, 8:22 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Well I am royally !!!!ed off.

I made a couple of mistakes at work this week, first in ages. Unfortunately it meant I needed to let the Dispatch Unit know. So they've turned round and say they want to start deducting us admin workers for all mistakes made. They've been doing this to our Dispatch workers which I don't agree with. BUT in here the office we process hundreds of orders a day, constantly making changes, so the likelihood of making mistakes is quite high depending on how much you do the orders. This will hit my colleagues more than me, but the THOUGHT of it is making my blood boil (and it will hit me as I do process some orders from clients who like to deal with me personally). We get so few benefits here as it is, such a bad mentality. And they wonder why they can't keep hold of staff!!!!!!

I will be saying something to my manager on Monday, I feel like walking out. It may sound like an overreaction, but we get talked to like !!!! most of the time and there's nothing to cushion the blow!! We don't even get paid very well either.

Oh dear. Rant over
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 17-03-2017 at 8:27 AM.

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 18th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    After the little wobbly I threw yesterday, I need to update my spends:
    Thursday - £2-.94 in the SM for dinner, and I also got some blister plasters for Sunday. Took back a pair of jeans as well for £20.
    Friday - Got a cheeky bottle of wine in the coop yesterday as was desperate £4.99 and think I've found a new fave!
    Today - shockingly NSD10 as my bf has offered to get dinner tonight

So tomorrow is D-Day - need to get my stuff together then it's over to the bf's for a carb laden dinner and an early-ish night. I'll be so happy when this half marathon is all over, although I'm sure I'll be aching tomorrow and next week!

Happy weekend everyone!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 19th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Well I did it!!!

I managed to beat my goal of 2 hours 30 mins, and I finished the half marathon in 2 hours 25 minutes (and 14 seconds but who's counting those ) So so chuffed to have finished it and in that time. I did struggle with my knee which held me back, but I pushed through. Bf also beat his previous time by a whole minute (did it in 1 hour 45 mins, beast!!) On a high right now (although don't ask me if I'll do it again yet as the pain is still too raw lol!)

I spent £11.86 on our uber home (bf paid for it there). There won't be any other spends today.

The plan for the rest of the evening is to have a nice loooooong bath, make my bed, have some wine, and just chill. I'm so glad today is out the way, it's been looming for a long time, and now I feel like I can get back to normal life!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 23rd Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    I've been quiet, I'm still recovering from Sunday but I'm almost 100% better now. Not managed any yoga yet but I've enjoyed the rest lol.

Monday I bought my pictures from the day - cost £40 to get a HD copy of all of them. Not all of them are good but as it's my first race I thought it was a nice keep sake. And some of them are really good I got my eyebrows done on Monday, my mum paid for mine this month so I put that towards my pics.
    I also spent £8 in the coop on Monday for some lunch and snacks. And I was also naughty and bought a new glasses case from an FB group for £15. I do need a new one but it was a bit of a mad moment....

Tuesday was NSD11 and Wednesday NSD12. Today won't be an NSD as I have to buy dinner for bf and I.

I'm down to the wire with funds again this month, I've gone wrong somewhere...will have to be careful. But, if I have to go into my OD it's not a massive deal. Just need to keep trying.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,600Posts Today

7,805Users online

Martin's Twitter