Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 22nd Mar 16, 3:51 PM
    • 426Posts
    • 1,010Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Chica's gonna get a house! (hopefully)...
    • 22nd Mar 16, 3:51 PM
    Chica's gonna get a house! (hopefully)... 22nd Mar 16 at 3:51 PM
    Hi anyone that's reading,

I hope this is the right place to put this diary, as I don't have any debt...but I do have goals.

My BF and I are hoping to be in a position early next year where we can purchase a place of our own. We live in an expensive area of the world (TOWIE land, but we won't mention that...) and we're both still living with our parents, which in our mid-to-late twenties isn't ideal. So the plan is to have £15,000 each by this time next year (if not earlier, a girl can dream...)

I went to Uni, did a four year degree with one year abroad, and after deciding not to go into Law (my main degree subject), I struggled to find a job that fitted my skillset. I had no work experience to speak of, so after my degree got a couple of McJobs (which I didn't hate, just the shift work and the rubbish pay), a job in the city, and finally a job working locally to me. I've finally got a salary that feels representative of what I do, and I feel in a good financial positition to get to where I want to be.

I'm not horrific with my money, but I'm also not perfect...I have a habit of denying myself something that I really need, to then buy something I don't quite so need, all because it was *cheaper*. Or I get trigger happy on my laptop when I've had a vodka on a Friday

Either way, I thought detailing it somewhere that wasn't in my head, or spouting it to my boyfriend and colleagues (who, let's be honest, don't want to know the intimiate detailings of my budget!) and I've read so many diaries on here that I've been inspired.

My hobbies
    • Yoga
    • Workouts with weights
    • Running (I am training to a half-marathon in June)
    • Writing
    • Most importantly - reading. I get through between 3-5 books a week
    Oh, does my cat count as my hobby? He's not technically mine, but he's my baby and I love him I spend more money on his treats than anything else!!

I hope to be back later to detail the financials, but for now, adios!

(And thanks for reading)
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 22-03-2016 at 4:10 PM.
Page 13
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 8th Sep 16, 9:50 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    My petrol was low yesterday, so I filled up my tank. I didn't factor this into my spend list for this week, so it will be way out, but it needed to be done.

Will need to go to tesco today - been really lazy with buying food for lunch so having to get something every day. If I today I can get today and tomorrow sorted at least, so should be a NSD tomorrow. Also need to do a big boots order as a lot of my skincare has run out, maybe I'll do that today, if not over the weekend.
    House Deposit:£8689.35/£15,000 = 57.92% Make £5 a day in November: £6.09 October: £7.50September: £8.01August: £76.77July: £89.17June: £23.88 May £63.18

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 10th Sep 16, 5:55 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Right well bit of a disastrous few days spending wise....
    Booked a short break over NYE with the bf's circle of friends - between 8 people we've booked a town house for £99.50 each for two nights. Not counting that in my weekly spend, but is still an expense. Should be a lovely time though, something different for us.

Did a fairly big boots order as there were several things I needed, and some of their botanics line was reduced so I've bought back ups of products that I used regularly.

Been feeling spectacularly !!!! the past few days, had a migraine out of nowhere. Even woke up with one today, which is odd as I'm sure my headaches are stress-related, and are usually nowhere to be seen on weekends. BF is away on a stag-do, so not much social activity for me this weekend. There is a party tonight but with my head I don't think it's a good idea. Managed to get dressed and go into a highstreet near me to pick up my boots order. While I was there treated myself to lunch and a coffee in costa, and did some reading (think this might become a thing for me as I really like that particular coffee shop!) Had a mooch in a charity shop, got a really nice tshirt and a man's sweatshirt in XS that I thought would be good for loungewear, but is actually something that I could wear on a super casual day going out shopping etc. Fits like a glove, surprising considering it's a man's. Also found a CD album that I used to have the mp3 version of years ago- just fun dance songs, so I bought it for my car to bop along to while driving to work. Also bought some chocolate in Tescos as I'm going to have a night in with a film tonight. Odd to have a Saturday night to myself as it's usually spent with the BF. He's having a great time but think he'll be a bit worse for wear come Sunday!

Luckily my migraine's headed off for a bit so might do some yoga.

Should have a NSD tomorrow, I've been a bit OTT with spending again (I seem to go in waves). I think if I have £10 per day from now until the end of the month, I should be ok. I need to tighten my belt for the new few months though as that dreaded C-word is only really around the corner and money seems to run out my fingers during December.

Not much news on the selling front. TBH I've not uploaded items in some time, I don't feel I have too much to sell. Although I did have to pull out a jumper the other day, so I think I should go through my current wardrobe, see what I can keep, see what I can put away, and see what wintery stuff can come out of storage. It's that weird time of year where some days it's hot, other days it's cold, and then it's humid and then it's raining and then it's cold but you still sweat if you walk anywhere......Oh the joys of England. Maybe once I've had a look at my clothes I'll see if there's any more I can flog.
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 10-09-2016 at 6:00 PM.
    House Deposit:£8689.35/£15,000 = 57.92% Make £5 a day in November: £6.09 October: £7.50September: £8.01August: £76.77July: £89.17June: £23.88 May £63.18

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 14th Sep 16, 11:45 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Been MIA for a few days.

Had a really rubbish weekend (feeling low, ibs has been bad, feeling v unhappy in certain aspects of my life) and then Sunday went into Romford with my mum and spent a fair bit on clothes. I will wear them, and I love them, but I could've done without the spend, so I suppose I was embarrased.

Still feel really tired all the time and not sure if I'm coming down with a cold. I'm supposed to be giving blood tomorrow, but if I'm ill I can't. I've been feeling run down the past couple of weeks so I'm probably due a cold.

After all my spending earlier this month, I've on 3 NSD in a row. I've got £15 in my purse, and determined to make that last until the weekend (at least). I'm going to a friends for a film day, but she's providing lunch so it'll be travel fare, and I'll buy a cheapish bottle of wine. Hopefully can keep this week to a minimum. It helps that I bought eggs last week, so I'm just having scrambled eggs for lunch every day. Will need to buy something for a mid-morning snack tomorrow, but then it'll be Thursday so it's ok.

I need to get my behind in gear and get started on a few things, but because I feel so rubbish it's hard to get motivated after work. Hopefully I can get a few early nights (yeah, right!) and get myself back on track.

• Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 19th Sep 16, 12:03 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Hope you feel better soon CB. Everything is so much harder when you're under the weather so look after yourself, get well then you can refocus.

That NYE get away sounds fab, what a bargain too.

Take care
    Ll0yds CC £3180.05 £2779 / H@lifax CC - £1490 £0
    Nati0nwide CC - £558 £0 / Barcl@ycard CC - £890.80 £0
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 19th Sep 16, 9:10 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Hey Ena, thanks for dropping by. I find it really difficult with my stomach sometimes, it leaves me very tired and I put a lot of pressure on myself anyway. BUT, I've been doing some medidation through an app the past week or so, and I didn't get the dreaded Saturday morning belly, which is a first for a few months. Whether it's a fluke or not, I'm enjoying it, and I will definitely carry on as I'm a stressy person anyway so can only do some good!

Mon - Fri last week I spent only £8. The weekend was a bit more spendy but was very social and I had a really good time. Didn't realise the trains near me weren't running, and I was going into town to spend the afternoon at my friend's house, so I had to go the long way round which cost a bit more. Plus I bought a bottle of wine, which we drank, but then I also came home with another one, so I'm still a bottle of wine up lol! Then went out on a double date with my bf and one of his couple friends, we went to a newish restaurant in an area I don't eat out in very often. Cost £35 each but we had a 3 course meal, I shared a bottle of wine with the other gf and the men had beers. We had a couple more drinks in a pub nearby, and then we got a lift home. Sunday saw us having a coffee in Cost@, and then we did a Tesco shop for the bf.

I managed to block the pin on my card as I was using the incorrect one - doh! Phoned N@twest and it should be sorted either today if I have the pin right, or I have to wait for a reminder to be sent by post. I have three seperate pins for that one account and sometimes I just get confused! Luckily I have a tenner in my purse in case of emergencies, but I have food for the week so in theory I shouldn't need anything.

I've also started training properly again as we're doing a half marathon next March - only 180(ish) days away! so need to get my !!!! in gear. Started on Saturday and have a training plan to take me up to the run. Just hope I can stay well for this one!

Woke up a bit earlier this morning and did some meditation to kick-off my day the right way. We'll see how far the calmness lasts today!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 19th Sep 16, 9:13 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Had some money available in PA so claimed that, and moved it into my house fund. Only £5.98, but every little helps!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Quick update from me - sold a skirt on eb@y earlier this week, so that was a couple of quid earned and moved into the house fund.
    I'm planning on going through my wardrobe tomorrow, to move over winter stuff and move out my summer stuff. I need to have a massive clear out as well, so hopefully some items will be good enough to sell.

This week's been another odd one - I'm massively tired still, and had some really busy days, and some really blah days.

Just really looking forward to a more chill weekend. Woke up at 5am shivering and shaking from the cold, it's that time of year again!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 29th Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Been a bit quiet on the diary front, I've found it difficult to concentrate on money things, and my life at the same time. Changes are happening at work, a lot of them for me, so it's an adjustment period.

I've made a few changes/had some progress life-wise. On Saturday I went through my wardrobe, got rid of a load of stuff that just wasn't making me happy any more. A lot of it went to charity, and I have a big pile of things to list on eb@y, which will be a priority for this weekend. I'm still medidating, and I've taken the plunge and taken a year-long subscription, which works out a third of the price of doing it monthly. I'm currently on a 7 days to self-esteem programme, which is sorely needed.

The downshot of the wardrobe clearout is I'm desperate for certain clothes now, and I really need some boots for this coming cold season. The hunt is on.

I'm in my overdraft, with payday tomorrow, which is not great news. My aim for October is to stay out of my overdraft by payday, which is something I've not been able to do for at least a year now. It may only be by a few pounds, but as I have to pay to use the OD now it's costing me more than it is worth.

I have made a space in my bedroom for me to do some colouring, and writing, when I fancy it. Writing especially is something I've not made time for in a long long time, so it feels good to have a nice space for me to sit and be more creative.

Once I get paid tomorrow I will do my usual shuffling of funds. I did have an eb@y sale earlier in the month, so the small profit from that went to my house fund.

My OH got a massive, well-deserved payrise confirmed earlier this month, which will be effective from next month's pay, so he'll be able to put away 3x as much as me going forward. While this is great for both of us, it makes me feel bad that I'll be holding us back....I've told him my worries and he told me not to be silly, but it does get me down. I have different expenses to him (I run a car, he doesn't), and I'm on substantially smaller salary, so it's like comparing oranges with apples, but it doesn't stop me feeling less-than.

Need to organise myself for Xmas as well. And get spending money together for our holiday in November. It's going to be an exciting few months, let's be positive
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 29-09-2016 at 10:33 AM.

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 1st Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Did my monthly money-shuffling after payday. Only put in £300 to the house fund this month, as I was in my OD by £200 by the end of the month and I'm conscious that I need to buy essentials like some good boots as I've got none for the upcoming colder months. Hopefully if I can crack on with eb@y I can make up the shortfall. I do have items that can be sent back (clothes-wise) as they are no good, so I will get another bump in my available funds once they've been sent back and the money's cleared.

Considering going into Cost@ today, but it's currently raining and I'm waiting for an am@zon delivery (some of it is xmas presents ) Kind of cba to go out but there's nothing good in the house for lunch so will have to take a trip out at some point anyway. Supposed to be a run day but my thighs are still so sore from Thursday that might do some yoga instead. We'll see how today pans out!

I only made £8.01 in September, which is a bit pitiful, but it's spurring me on to do better for October.

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 6th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Been a little while since my last post.

I went a bit mad on the Saturday when I went out, so spent Sunday feeling sorry for myself. Monday I went to the zoo with the bf as we had an animal experience which I had bought him for his bday. Spent the whole day in the zoo, we had a really lovely time and the weather was gorgeous. I had to buy petrol, and topped up the luncheon vouchers we'd been given.

Tuesday I went back to work, but spent the whole day feeling super drowsy. Then yesterday and today I've been off work sick as I feel so horrible. I think it's a cold, but my sinuses are really blocked up and I've got fever, headache, sore throat, etc. Was hoping I'd only need the one day off but I woke up today feeling worse. Hopefully I can get myself back on track to be in tomorrow.

I've had two eb@y sales this week, and I made £6.28. Once I'm sure those items have been received I'll add it to my house fund.

As I've not been well I've not been able to do the returns I've been meaning to, which will bring almost £100 back to my account. This illness has literally knocked me for six, guess it that's time of year when the weather drops and the bugs come out!

• Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 16th Oct 16, 12:04 AM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Sorry I've been a bit AWOL, hope you're feeling better now CB

I'm jealous of your colouring and writing space, I'm hoping to free up some space for creativity once I've finished decluttering sometime in 2018

Not long till your holiday woo
    Ll0yds CC £3180.05 £2779 / H@lifax CC - £1490 £0
    Nati0nwide CC - £558 £0 / Barcl@ycard CC - £890.80 £0
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 16th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Hey Ena, thanks for dropping by! I've not been posting much myself - been lurking but as I've not had much movement I've not felt the need to post much.
    I'm loving my new space, I sit there and colour and listen to podcasts, I find it so soothing. I have 42 days until my holiday! It's coming round really quickly, can't wait

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 16th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Time for an update -

Been mega busy with work, training a new starter and have a project on the go, taken me until today feel semi-normal, for some reason this cold has been really hard to shift.
    I had applied for the London marathon next year, but shock didn't get in (really not surprised). I donated my fee to charity so I got the running shirt, actually really like it and wore it running earlier this week.
    Spent £50-ish this week on foody bits for work and home. I spent the last part of the week looking after a friend's cat and staying at their house, so had to buy some dinners etc. Have had a lovely weekend though, just stayed in reading, running and watching a film. Very chilled, which is what I needed
    I had a couple of eb@y sales last week, but it's all gone quiet again. I've got a big pile of stuff that I keep meaning to upload, still not done it!!! It's just sitting on my bedroom floor driving me mad. I feel like I've fallen out of love with it, need another push to get going.
    I'm waiting for a refund to come through, I was a bit naughty in the beginning of the month buying clothes, but I actually bought some really nice stuff (from Tesco of all places!) Gorgeous pair of jeans, couple of tops, some new boots, and a couple of scarves and a new going bag from Primark. I don't begrudge it this time because I really do like the bits that I got. But, it does mean I need to watch what I buy from now until payday.

I have a Hallowe'en party to go to in a couple of weeks, no idea what to wear. The bf also needs to dress up but he's very reluctant, so need to find something that he feels comfortable in as well. He hates makeup, masks, normal clothes as costumes, costumy costumes, everything.....what am I to do!? Finding something for myself is bad enough

Back home now, and plan for today is yoga; meditation; some reading (started Stephen King's It, been inspired after all these clown incidents lately!); some colouring if I can fit it in; and some snuggles with my cat.

Happy Sunday
    Last edited by ChicaBonita; 16-10-2016 at 4:23 PM.

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 17th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Feeling a bit down today, feels a bit stupid. I keep breaking out on my chin and cheek area, big red angry spots that are under the skin but still cause a lump, and that take ages to go down. They also seem to scar really badly no matter what I do (pigmentation, not pitting), and because I've had so many in the past 6 weeks or so it looks like I've still got an active breakout when they're actually just the scars. Realised today I have FOUR new ones dotted around my face, and it's so frustrating I do fluctuate with my skin, but it's not been this bad since I was a teen. I'm pretty sure a lot of it is hormonal, but I've not had these kinds of spots in this amount before. Also not sure if it's exacerbated with running, I seem to get more spots when I've been running (perhaps due to dirty air outside and sweating). Debating whether to leave it a month or two, and then perhaps go to my doctors? Not sure what they can do, but I feel so low at the moment purely down to the amount I have. Feel like I always have an active spot

Just wanted to moan really

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 19th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Contacted a salon about my skin, feel silly but it's getting me down!

In other news, I've had little to no spends so far, bought an Xmas present on Monday, and will try and buy a couple more online today. Going over to the bf's tonight and will be taking food over to make dinner.

I'm back on my running training properly, and it feels good to be getting back to where I was before. I already feel so much lighter (inside!)

Really considering taking the clothes I have in my room to the charity shop, rather than faffing with eBay. Any offers I've had have been ridiculous and the stuff is just sitting there, taking up room and making my room untidy! Will make a decision by the weekend I think, can't keep procrastinating.

My car desperately needs a new front tyre, so I need to bite the bullet and get a quote for that today. They are only on the other side of the industrial estate that I work on, so shouldn't be too much fuss. I have my car fund that should cover it - not sure exactly how much is in there as I forget the login details to that online bank, but it should be more than enough. That is my number 1 priority at the moment, as the tread has all but gone!! Everytime I get in the car I think, oh yeah I should do that!

I have most of my cards for xmas sorted, just need to get some bday cards for November/December bdays and an anniversary card. I have some picked up online so just need to purchase them. Want to have everything done by latest end of November, but most of my family won't tell me what they want!!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 19th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Tyres finally done - had to have the front two done as the other had a nail in it! £90 for the two so not bad, and I have the money in my car fund. They said I need to get my tracking checked as the inside of the tyres were going, free to check and £30 if there needs to be any adjustments. Will try and get that done on Friday. So glad to finally hae my tyres done, been putting it off for ages! *naughty*

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 24th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    On Friday I got my tracking done on my car, £30, and I need to get a hole fixed near my exhaust so that will be another £50 if I get it welded. Still have plenty in my car fund for it though.

Bit of an emotional weekend....my brother's baby arrrived. Not seen him yet, but from the pictures he looks like a cutie.

I went for my skincare consulation on Saturday....I've bought a new product, and will be having some treatments. It's a lot of money (for me) but I can afford it if I put less into savings this month when I'm paid. I think it's worth it, vain as it is I hate looking in the mirror at the moment.

Bought a few xmas presents last week, slowly building up my list of bought items. A lot of it is getting ideas, especially for my bf as his bday is 5 days before xmas so I feel like I'm thinking of everything at once for him. Plus he's given me no indication of what he wants (again).

I'm going to try and have a low-spend week, I have a house party for hallowe'en on Saturday so will have to buy booze and pay for a taxi, I'm a bit tight now but can do it if I put my mind to it. I have food for work, snacks, and lots of petrol in my car. If I can spend nothing until Friday, bonus!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 1st Nov 16, 9:37 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Got paid on Saturday - sadly not able to put any away into my house fund this month, as I've got so much coming out. I'm finally getting the last bit of my car fixed today - quoted £50 but we'll see the actual cost later. I've set a challange of only spending £150 this month on non-essentials (including food!) until I go away on the 26th. It's around £5 a day so should be doable if I'm careful with little spends. I do have some social events planned, but they shouldn't involve *too* much money.

The bf and I went to a Halloween party on Saturday - both dressed up and had a great time, but the bf enjoyed himself a bit too much, so we left early! He won't be making that mistake again for a while lol!

Got some of my xmas presents sorted, and a few birthday presents. I have a lot of birthdays in November/December, so I have to be super organised. The plan is to be done by end of November, I've got ideas so I should be able to do it. Don't know where this year has gone!

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 1st Nov 16, 10:44 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Car cost £45, so cheaper than quoted - happy days! So glad that's off my list now! Car's all up to date

• ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 1st Nov 16, 12:46 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    I've decided I need to get back on the swagbucks as well, could be useful to get some more gift cards coming up to Christmas!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

332Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter