Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teekay_tk
    • By teekay_tk 22nd Mar 16, 8:08 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 11Thanks
    teekay_tk
    Trading212
    • 22nd Mar 16, 8:08 AM
    Trading212 22nd Mar 16 at 8:08 AM
    Hi all

I was looking at apps on Android for share dealing and Trading 212 seems to be very popular platform. Has any one used it? I can't seem to find real user review for it. It is strange as it has been downloaded like a million times. The reviews on Google Play store are not very helpful as they are usually about app usability but not about long term experience.

They charge EUR2 for buying/selling. Is this competitive?

Is there a good Android share dealing platform someone can recommend?

I am a complete newbie when it comes to share dealing. I am just learning about it now a days.

Cheers
Page 2
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 17th Aug 17, 9:36 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 3,570 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    1) No, it's a common sense thing. The payment is processed by a third party company which charges for the service. Every business offering online payments works like that.
    Originally posted by Jake85
    but are trading212 adding a markup to those third-party charges? (i don't know, but what's to stop them?)

2) Who says they don't make money off it? The commission free deals with stocks are limited to 10 per month and are up to a certain amount. They also provide forex and cfds, which are traded on margin and the broker takes the spread.
    the main point is: are they making money off the service of actual share trading? because if they only make money from other services, not that 1, why would they go on offering it.

it's true that, with most share brokers, the more active traders are probably subsidizing the infrequent traders a bit. however, charging no commission at all for the first 10 trades per month makes this cross-subsidy more extreme. so more reason to doubt it's sustainable. most very frequent traders are likely to be mugs (i.e. losing money), so how long will they keep going?

however, regardless of the answers to those questions, trading212 is simply too expensive a way to invest in shares, when you consider all the charges. i'm intrigued by your choice to keep coming back to this forum to defend them (and not to post on any other topic).
    • romeshw
    • By romeshw 19th Aug 17, 3:27 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    romeshw
    You might get some free trades but they make money elsewhere:

Depositing funds:
    Depending on the method of payment and the currency of your account, a fee between 0.7% and 3.5% is applied

From: https://www.trading212.com/en/Terms-and-Commissions

They are also primarily a Forex and options business; not sure they want buy and hold investors but I may be wrong.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    I deposit using bank transfer, which does take a couple of days, but there is 0% charge.
    • molyneux1000
    • By molyneux1000 3rd Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    molyneux1000
    Yes, I also use Trading 212 and fund the account through bank transfer which incurs zero fee.

I had been using IG which was charging £8/trade.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,082Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin