Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 19th Mar 16, 12:46 PM
    • 2,005Posts
    • 3,340Thanks
    Spidernick
    Living with a very famous name
    • 19th Mar 16, 12:46 PM
    Living with a very famous name 19th Mar 16 at 12:46 PM
    Do you, or anyone you know, have a very famous name? If so, how does it affect them, if at all?

When I was at school there was a James Bond in the year below me, which I imagine would be cool at times, but mostly annoying given the unoriginal comments that people are likely to make on a regular basis. From an early age he would have been aware of his famous name (perhaps these days he is Jim or Jimmy to try and water this down), but I also wonder how older people feel walking around as, for example, Harry Potter or David Beckham (or any female equivalent) when suddenly that name becomes famous. Would that be different perhaps?

Please let me know any experiences you have. Thanks.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse)

Note: I was one of the 48.1%, so please don't blame me!
Page 2
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 7th May 16, 12:46 AM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 3,340 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Our neighbour's little boy is Harry Harrison poor thing
    Originally posted by Faith177
    Personally I'd have no issues around sharing my name with one of my favourite SF authors. Some of The Stainless Steel Rat books are regular rereads for me.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse)

Note: I was one of the 48.1%, so please don't blame me!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th May 16, 6:20 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    z1a
    I used to work with an Ian Ma!!!!!r, any documents from him, he only ever used the initial letter of his first name.

Site has added !!!!, would appear that his surname isn't allowed on here, anyway it's M45h1ter.
    Last edited by z1a; 09-05-2016 at 6:25 PM.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 10th May 16, 10:13 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    I used to work with an Ian Ma!!!!!r, any documents from him, he only ever used the initial letter of his first name.

Site has added !!!!, would appear that his surname isn't allowed on here, anyway it's M45h1ter.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Poor him! In his circs I would use my middle name I think.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th May 16, 10:28 AM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    spadoosh
    I know a mash iter too.

Had an order from M&S packaged by Laj, Anus. Guessing it was someones last day but was still enough to keep me chuckling all day.

Went to school with a neil armstrong. Think he turned out normal... not a space cadet anyway.
    Don't be angry!
    • DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 11th May 16, 1:28 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    DollyDee
    I worked at the same company as Robert (aka Robbie) Burns.

Not famous but my OH's friend's Mum was called Iris Chew.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 11th May 16, 8:23 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    tealady
    I have come across tax inspectors called James Riddell and Mr P Ennis.
    (I know they were not famous but I thought the names were unfortunate!)
    Last edited by tealady; 12-05-2016 at 5:52 AM. Reason: added text
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Mosquito netting
    • By Mosquito netting 13th May 16, 9:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mosquito netting
    Nun Joke
    Sister Marry was truly a religious woman. Besides for her duties as a nun, she was also very active in various hospitals visiting sick patients and taking care of all their needs. So it was no surprise that one day when she ran out of gas, the only container she could find to put the gas into was a bedpan. Sister Mary happily walked two blocks to the closest gas station filled up the bedpan with gas and headed back to her car.

Luck would have it that as Sister Mary started tipping the gas into the fuel tank, the traffic light turned red and she had quite a large audience witnessing the spectacle. Just when she finished pouring in the last drops of gas a fellow opened up his window and hollered, “I swear! If that car starts I’m becoming a religious man!”
    • IDProtected
    • By IDProtected 14th May 16, 9:57 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    IDProtected
    Sister Marry was truly a religious woman. Besides for her duties as a nun, she was also very active in various hospitals visiting sick patients and taking care of all their needs. So it was no surprise that one day when she ran out of gas, the only container she could find to put the gas into was a bedpan. Sister Mary happily walked two blocks to the closest gas station filled up the bedpan with gas and headed back to her car.

Luck would have it that as Sister Mary started tipping the gas into the fuel tank, the traffic light turned red and she had quite a large audience witnessing the spectacle. Just when she finished pouring in the last drops of gas a fellow opened up his window and hollered, “I swear! If that car starts I’m becoming a religious man!”
    Originally posted by Mosquito netting
    Is Sister Mary someone famous?
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 30th May 16, 11:50 AM
    • 36,455 Posts
    • 73,278 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    I was at school in the sixties with Julie Andrews. My dad knew a Mr d'Eath. On Look North there was an item about a Mr and Mrs Cart who named their son,

... Orson.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 24th Jun 16, 11:09 PM
    • 5,815 Posts
    • 10,409 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    My GP at uni was Dr Pepper!

I know a Winston Churchill, Ronald McDonald and Michael Jackson.

My favourite names I've ever encountered was a lady called Rhoda Lott and a man called Anil Boabi
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Krissy306
    • By Krissy306 25th Jun 16, 3:08 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    Krissy306
    I knew a Harry Potter when I was at school
    • Tor Brexit
    • By Tor Brexit 25th Jun 16, 6:30 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    Tor Brexit
    She dead now, but I knew a "Mary Christmas", and a "Poppy Tupper".
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 25th Jun 16, 9:26 PM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 5,934 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    Is Sister Mary someone famous?
    Originally posted by IDProtected
    She should be if she can turn pee into petrol !
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 27th Jun 16, 10:25 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,873 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    The surgeon who carried out a complicated surgery on my foot is called...

Mr Toh
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 5th Jul 16, 8:02 PM
    • 27,823 Posts
    • 51,039 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I knew someone in Spain called Rodrigo Rodriguez Rodriguez

And four ladies whose names were abbreviated to Lolli (Dolores), Lupy (Guadalupe), Tossa (Fructosa) and Fatti (Fatima). Sounds quite funny in English.

Sorry, these are funny, not famous.

Before she married my dad, my mum had a boyfriend called Gordon Bennet.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Malcnascar
    • By Malcnascar 31st Aug 16, 6:56 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    Malcnascar
    he must have been a local hero used to drive past here on way to work
    http://www.wheregb.com/the-gordon-bennett-memorial-hall-1492366
    • MSE Matt
    • By MSE Matt 13th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    MSE Matt
    My girlfriend works with a 'Paul McCartney' - "That Paul McCartney was really annoying today" Hilarious!
    • jizadine
    • By jizadine 19th Oct 16, 6:34 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    jizadine
    My mate is Colin Jackson - not the athlete. I used to work with an accounting technician called Bruce willis and there is a guy I know at my current work with the name of Ken Batlow.
    • AMSY
    • By AMSY 19th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AMSY
    My friends Dad was Spencer Tracy.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 19th Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 1,374 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Hard to believe his parents would do this to him, and it either toughens you up as a kid or is a great chat up line but used to know a Paul mycock.

Makes me laugh every time...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

3,350Users online

Martin's Twitter