Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sarah_23
    • By sarah_23 18th Mar 16, 9:12 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 4Thanks
    sarah_23
    she's only 6!
    • 18th Mar 16, 9:12 PM
    she's only 6! 18th Mar 16 at 9:12 PM
    Today I saw my 6 year old daughter hide a note in her bag, I asked her to show me the note and she had an absolute fit! No mummy no, I can't help it, I don't want you to read it NOO NOOO!

I sat her down and read the note, it was a love letter to a 6 year old boy in her school saying she wanted to marry him and kiss him.
    I asked her calmly if she has ever spoke to this boy and she promised no.

I have now sent her to her room and told her that it is wrong to be writing love letters.

Any advice for me as I feel like she is way to young for this and I want to nip it in the bud straight away.
Page 3
    • Prothet of Doom
    • By Prothet of Doom 6th Apr 16, 9:14 PM
    • 3,141 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    Prothet of Doom
    I know a girl, who decided in her head at aged 10, that a (new to the school) boy in her year group, but in another class, was nice, and that one day she'd marry him.
    She failed to tell him this, and he spent the next 2 years with few friends and pretty miserable.
    In his teenage years he went out with 3 of her friends and still she never even spoke to him, but always thought she'd marry him.
    Those 2 people have been married 26 years, have 2 grown up children and he still can't believe that she didn't speak to him until they were at a party aged 17, and only because she was rat faced.
    Young love make of it what you will.
    • cr1mson
    • By cr1mson 15th Apr 16, 8:17 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    cr1mson
    Oh dear! I apparently said I wanted to marry my brother at that age as I was used to living with him!

Dread to think what OP would have made of that!
    • girlsmum
    • By girlsmum 18th Apr 16, 10:06 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    girlsmum
    you are pushing her away for telling you things in future, sending her to her room is like a punishment. are you stern with her, the fact that she did not want to show you in the first place is a worry.
    My sister said she was going to marry one of our neighbours sons when she was about that age, i think its sweet and totally normal.
    • Coveredinbees!!!!
    • By Coveredinbees!!!! 18th Apr 16, 11:26 AM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    Coveredinbees!!!!
    She's 6 get a grip!

• Brokeattheminute
    • By Brokeattheminute 18th Apr 16, 11:49 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    Brokeattheminute
    Exactly what the last post says i have a 6yr old girl who has been wanting to marry a boy called Matthew she goes to school with from shes been about 4.If i found a letter like that in my daughters school bag id be praising her for being so good at writing the note and her imagination and innocence not sending her to her room as if shes done something wrong.At this age they're best friends with somebody 1 day and the next day they never want to speak to them again!I'd be more worried if she wanted to marry someone when shes 16 never mind 6.
    • Craftingmama01
    • By Craftingmama01 25th May 16, 5:57 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    Craftingmama01
    They use the term love and marriage to verbalise friendship at 6. My 6 year old daughter wrote a love letter to her girlfriend yesterday. It is what they do. I was more concerned by her spelling to be honest.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 20th Feb 17, 9:23 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Today I saw my 6 year old daughter hide a note in her bag, I asked her to show me the note and she had an absolute fit! No mummy no, I can't help it, I don't want you to read it NOO NOOO!

I sat her down and read the note, it was a love letter to a 6 year old boy in her school saying she wanted to marry him and kiss him.
    I asked her calmly if she has ever spoke to this boy and she promised no.

I have now sent her to her room and told her that it is wrong to be writing love letters.

Any advice for me as I feel like she is way to young for this and I want to nip it in the bud straight away.
    Originally posted by sarah_23
    Wow! Way to give her a complex!

It's a love letter. Not an invitation to an orgy!
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 26th Feb 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,543 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    anotheruser
    WOW!

Way to bump a year old thread!
    • DebrasSewingProject
    • By DebrasSewingProject 26th Feb 17, 9:51 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    DebrasSewingProject
    I think it's normal. I'm 50 and still remember falling madly in love in the first year of infants! I played kiss chase all day and badly wanted to marry a beautiful red haired boy with freckles call George! Please don't punish your daughter, it's normal.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 28th Feb 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Perfectly normal - I remember that when my sister was 6 she was adamant that she was going to marry a boy in her class. Seems it may have been because he lived in a much nicer house than we did but, as she wasn't a total gold digger, she said that his parents could have her old bedroom when they moved out so she and her 'husband' could have their house!
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 28-02-2017 at 5:14 PM.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 2nd Mar 17, 4:53 AM
    • 7,204 Posts
    • 15,915 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Lol - I remember my youngest wanting to 'marry my arm' at 6 because she 'never,ever wanted to let it go'. Mind you, at this stage, she also wanted to be a cookie when she grew up!!

She broke my heart though, a short time later, when I was volunteering at her school, and saw her hug the boy in front of her in the lunch line and plant a huge kiss on the back of his neck!!

Obviously that was slightly inappropriate, but no reason to make a big deal!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • HoneyOnThePavement
    • By HoneyOnThePavement 4th May 17, 4:38 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    HoneyOnThePavement
    I remember all my "cases of falling in love"))) and already fear that my doughter is going to be like me)
    • Flill
    • By Flill 18th May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Flill
    They are just kids, so what?
    • Monika333
    • By Monika333 7th Sep 17, 6:36 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Monika333
    Children always think that they are older than they are, and your daughter thinks the same. My advice is to talk to her like with an adult person. It won't change anything for you now, but it will mean a lot for her, and it will lead to a trusty relashionship in future.
    • mummyofboys1985
    • By mummyofboys1985 29th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mummyofboys1985
    My 4 year old son hasn’t reached the marriage milestone yet but has plenty of girlfriends apparently.... kids hear marriage, partners, gf & bf all the time so they use it too. They have no idea what it means
    • Magerit
    • By Magerit 4th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Magerit
    This is not bad at all, these are the first signs of how they learn to deal with the opposite sex. Let them make their own experiences and always be there for them. It's no big deal if your daughter falls in love and writes such letters, because at that age more than 50% of the love letters are not given at all.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 17, 7:31 AM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Your child, your rules, you know what is acceptable or not.
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 8th Oct 17, 10:02 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    My 6 year old daughter wants to marry her adult brother's girlfriend. Should I be worried?
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 10th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    lillie421
    I wouldn't worry too much at all about this. It is an innocent things a lot of young children do. I wouldn't be too harsh on her as this is not a bad or naughty thing for her to do. It is good that she is enjoying school and making friends there, that's what you should be happy about.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 10th Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 19,861 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    The OP has long gone, this thread was started 18 months ago. Don't waste your time replying to the OP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,326Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter