Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,104Posts
    • 21,565Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 466
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 13th Sep 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    MU if you get on with your mum then really do make the effort to call and chat often. I cannot overstate how many times I wish I could have a chat with my mum still, it is god awful when they're not about anymore.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 13th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4,304 Posts
    • 5,354 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Well, turns out the neighbour is definitely on the Coke. No change, he's still not right but at least I know for sure why. So worried about him being on it but not much I can do
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 14th Sep 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    I haven't gone out alone for quite a while as it's one of my phobias, so as my DH had a letter that needed posting I thought I would do it. I decided to take a shopping bag and try going to the shops after as it is literally a few yards further, so after posting the letter I really wanted to bottle it and go home but I kept telling myself "you can do it"

At the till the people in front wanted 2 free coffees (it's Waitrose and you get a free one with your shopping) but the woman on the till said you only get one with a transaction and they would have to split their shopping into two transactions. As I was wanting to get home asap I said "just give them my cup as I don't want coffee"

All seemed good but when I paid I thought it had charged me for the coffee and I suddenly wondered if there was a minimum spend to get it free. The woman on the till said it had charged me then taken it off but I couldn't work it out at first. I'm normally good at maths but I got flustered and took a while to realise it. I said "oh yes my mistake " but she gave me such a withering look. It really stressed me out and when I get stressed I mutter under my breath which I did all the way home. I could tell people along side me could hear, which made me more stressed. I have never been so relieved to get home, I don't know how to cope in public anymore I'm so embarrassed.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 14th Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 3,890 Thanks
    Izadora
    Dandy, well done for going out on your own and there's really no need to be embarrassed.
    I think most people mutter under their breath when they're out, I find that it makes me far less homicidal if I mumble all the things I'd like to be able to say to people's faces.
    Sometimes things slip out at full volume as well and I only realise when I see people reacting to what I thought was said only in my head. The look on a bloke's face the other week when I was on a train and accidentally failed to contain "Oh FFS, just blow your nose!" when his sniffing had got to me so much that I had to move seats was funny though
    • surveyqueenuk
    • By surveyqueenuk 17th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    surveyqueenuk
    Ooh, it's all gone quiet here - hopefully that means everyone is OK!

Dandy, I am also a mutterer. Yesterday, I was waiting to cross the road and this car was going so slooooowly (I'm too scared to just leg it as was once run over). Anyhow, I thought to myself "For f***'s sake, do you have to be so bl00dy slow" and a man who I didn't even realise was there said "I know, love". Oops!
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 18th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Thanks Izadora and surveyqueen, it is good to know I'm not the only one who does this!
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 18th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 3,325 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Ooh, it's all gone quiet here - hopefully that means everyone is OK!
    Originally posted by surveyqueenuk
    I'm still here and reading, though not a lot going on with me at the moment. My Italian evening class is restarting next month after an extended maternity break for the teacher, so looking forward to that
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 18th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 10,313 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    I've got one class starting this Wednesday and a community choir the same evening.

The stitching and crafts class (also Wednesday) starts next week.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 18th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Not sure if its a good thing but took a co codamol last night, whilst still a bit tired so to speak it was first night in 2 weeks where I was able to jump out of bed without blacking out attempting to get out of it
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 18th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 16,988 Posts
    • 44,642 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Its my birthday in 2 weeks! Swain took me shopping the other day and i got some nice bits (including some lovely glitter eyeshadow).

The autumn depressive spell has hit like bloody clockwork as usual though. Trying to ignore it (booking doctors appointment tomorrow though to be in the safe side). It goes back to several years ago when i was very depressed and planning stupid stuff to fall on my birthday (along the lines of was born then, made sense to die then), i now seem to get a depressive episode everytime this year. Its not fun but i'm muddling though.

Not been put socially in nearly a year, so a little nervous for bithday plans (my best friends birthday is 7/10 and mine is 5/10 so we always have a joint party). Theres food and drinks planned. Hopefully i can hold it together and be social!
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 18th Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 3,416 Posts
    • 10,313 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    I'm going tp see the venue where I and the other performers are doing our 'things' for charity tomorrow.

The 'do' is next week. I'm still fighting to concentrate on what to write for my 5 minutes. I've got a costume together.

I've also signed up to FaceCloth and found a weight loss group run by a comedian/singer. It's made me realise I've still got 3 stone 7 pounds to lose to get down to my 'proper' weight.

The meds for the ADHD should supress my appetite but, of course, I'm so used to eating when I'm not hungry, I haven't lost any weight since starting them.

Still looking for a part time job that doesn't interfere with my courses. Keeping my eyes peeled.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 19th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 8,590 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    I booked a gym induction online yesterday, but when I turned up for the session at 9pm they said they never do evening sessions and the trainer finished at 6pm.
    They said I had to call today to rebook as they didn't know when I could be seen. I said whenever I phone they never answer, but he said to try, wouldn't give me a refund because it was too complicated, gave me a receipt saying I'd attended and when I left I realised he hadn't given me my membership card back.

Very stressed. I was shaking with nerves when I got there, I wanted an evening induction so DH would be there, I'm worried when I call they won't answer and if I go he has marked that I attended and they might think I had my lesson so I won't be able to rebook without paying again? So many stress thoughts.

DH says "you always imagine the worst. Wait and see what happens" but it's because I do seem to have things go wrong so much that now I expect it to go wrong. All part of anxiety/depression I suppose.

Really stupid that their website takes bookings and payment for evening sessions when the staff finish at 6pm.

******UPDATE*******

Well I went to the gym to pick up my card and rebook the appointment, and they couldn't have been nicer. They've booked me in for tomorrow morning and even asked if I wanted to go in today for a free swim. DH was right as usual about me stressing and jumping the gun. Very happy it's all sorted.
    Last edited by dandy-candy; 19-09-2017 at 3:13 PM. Reason: To update
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 20th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 18,973 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    dandy, if it helps about Waitrose - there's a facebook group (meant to be a funny group, but they do rather overdo the same joke about being so posh you send your butler to shop for you). Anyway, they have had BIG DISCUSSIONS about the cheapest way to get a free coffee. They seem to think it's buying a bag for 5p. I have pointed out that the cheapest way is actually to buy something you were going to buy anyway (ideally reduced )! I just thought you might like to know this is a 'thing' The page is called Overheard in Waitrose
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 20th Sep 17, 10:21 AM
    • 7,593 Posts
    • 16,738 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Please send cuddles. I'm having an awful time in my own head at the moment.

(New job is absolutely aces though )

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 20th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 3,890 Thanks
    Izadora
    ((((( HBS )))))
    I'm glad the new job's good and hopefully your head will start being kinder to you soon.

Dandy, I'm pleased that everything got sorted with the gym. It's horrible when one person who probably shouldn't have a job dealing with the public worries you that everything to do with a place is going to be a struggle.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 20th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 11,509 Posts
    • 48,203 Thanks
    whitewing
    Cuddles to all who need them.

We made some flavoured gin for xmas so that is morphing nicely in a dark cupboard.

I am sewing like mad, making the xmas stuff for littlewing. I am also eating less as my hands are busy so that is good.

Got a couple of bargains in the charity shop today, including a cheap doll so that can be part of the present. Littlewing is very excited - she knows I am making something but doesn't know what. She asks what it is (but doesn't really want to know) and when can she have it. I said, maybe never if it doesn't work and I throw it in the bin. She was horrified and wants whatever it is, however awful it is, simply because I made it, and she'll like the colours anyway. Lovely little girl.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • Juanita37
    • By Juanita37 20th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Juanita37
    I don't know if this is the right place to post
    I suffer with depression, insomnia and serve anxiety,it's getting so bad that I don't even go out for the important stuff now I. E doc appointments..school run...weekly shopping and paying bills.
    I haven't gone to get this month's prescription yet as I can't face going out and have a phobia with talking to ppl on the phone.
    I'm so tired of all of this it seems like a never ending battle just to get through the day.
    Just dunno wot to do anymore
    • surveyqueenuk
    • By surveyqueenuk 20th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    surveyqueenuk
    OK Juanita, the first thing we need to do is get you your meds. Can someone else go? Can you email the pharmacy - the majority of them are contactable in this way. Many pharmacies deliver and are well used to people being unable to leave the house to get their meds. When I feel like carp, I tend to pop my scripts in v.early or v.late as there won't be anyone else there.

Going forward, can you get your meds put on automatic repeat? Your chosen pharmacy can re-order them for you each month and can even bring them to the house if needed.

Now, about the GP. Again, can someone else make you an appointment? Can you email the surgery for an appointment, just tell them what you have done here. Copy/paste even. Does your surgery have an electronic booking system? It's well worth signing up if they do - you don't have to speak to a soul.

Shopping and bills - online if possible. Some supermarkets have introductory money-off offers for new registrations (Ocado is very good for this) so you could be MSE. Or splash out on some "naice" food.

The most important thing is to get your prescription though, if you are running short. Then a docs appt because you can't go on like this can you? I don't know you from Adam but I do know you don't deserve to feel like this, nobody deserves to be imprisoned by anxiety.

HBS ((( )))
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 28,847 Posts
    • 105,507 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Juanita, you could also email your doctor's surgery and tell them what's happening and how you're feeling.

They may be willing to do a home visit in the circumstances.

I do know that some pharmacies will deliver meds in some circumstances too, so you could ask them if that's possible.

I really do understand how you're feeling.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • *max*
    • By *max* 20th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    *max*
    Juanita, you could also email your doctor's surgery and tell them what's happening and how you're feeling.

They may be willing to do a home visit in the circumstances.

I do know that some pharmacies will deliver meds in some circumstances too, so you could ask them if that's possible.

I really do understand how you're feeling.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I apologise for butting in, but this resonated with me, and I want to confirm that some pharmacies will pick up the prescription from the medical centre and deliver the meds to you. Mine does it, and it's brilliant. No charge for it either. I phone in to get a repeat prescription from my Dr too, so not even any need to go the surgery. It can be a literal lifesaver.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin