Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,101Posts
    • 21,526Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 453
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 16th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    faerielight
    elsein, the house that I'm being left is in the UK, yes, the flat in spain is the one that my uncle is being left.. it's a good idea to check rightmove etc, thanks
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 27,176 Posts
    • 98,732 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Some of you might find this free Open University course interesting......

"Food as Medicine"

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/food-as-medicine?utm_source=newsletter_segment&utm_medium= futurelearn_organic_email&utm_campaign=fl_july_201 7&utm_term=17_07_2017_first_name_10_new_and_popula r_courses_for_you

Explore the role of food in health. Apply nutrition science to guide you on using food as medicine for you and your family.

There's also this one......

"Brain and Behaviour: Regulating Bodyweight."

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/body-weight

Explore the environmental and biological factors that influence our appetite and food choices, and regulate our body weight.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 17-07-2017 at 1:31 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 27,176 Posts
    • 98,732 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I saw this and thought of Gitdog!

Well, I guess the spirit is willing................... but the brain hasn't engaged!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 18th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 15,459 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my lovelies,

Hugs, squishes and handshakes all around.

I think I am getting a tan. oops my mistake its freckles My arms seem to be coming out in freckles. Mind you so would my face if I did not wear a baseball cap, glasses and makeup.

I saw this and thought of Gitdog!

Well, I guess the spirit is willing................... but the brain hasn't engaged!

Originally posted by Pyxis
    AC would try that. The other week while walking along the canal. I was stopped and chatting to another dog walker. I noticed AC was staring in to the water close to the bank. He could see part of a fence post in the water. And he wanted it

Been slightly constructive today. Pulled some money out of my ISA to pay off my cc. Also sort out a new energy suppliers. As my old one moved to a new admin company and I never bothered to change it. It had no standing charge but the current one will start to charge a lot per day. Need to drill it in to AM's head to turn stuff off. I finally rearranged the plugs in the living room. As got a big TV, xbox and sound bar. Now I can turn them off at the wall. We don't use them everyday. So stupid to have them on standby all the time.

And finally have some flowers on my runner beans and fingers crossed some new pots soon as well.

Still doing competitions and surveys to try and make some money. This year has been rather lacking in competition wins. And I think I am entering more everyday than I was last year when I won the £2K.

Still getting letters for ex lodger from DVLA. I opened one. Yes its legal. And he has not paid his road tax. Anyway I wrote on one envelope giving his works address. He is now taking the mick. That means he has not told DVLA he as moved. So that means he has not changed his driving licence or the address for the car

Right off to grab some lunch and do some more surveys.

Everyone take care in this heat.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 18th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    I've got a job interview tomorrow.

Lab based. I really, really want this job even though it's minion work and nothing like as responsible as previous jobs.

I feel like an unshelled snail without a lab coat.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 18th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 3,069 Posts
    • 6,800 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Good luck Gingernutty
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 18th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 14,749 Posts
    • 36,666 Thanks
    elsien
    Good luck, knock 'em dead.

HBS when do you start your new job?

I gave up on comps Calley - wins stopped and I decided I should do something more constructive with my time. Which tbh generally involves spending too much time on here instead of whatever I should be doing.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 18th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Thanks.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 19th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    Izadora
    Good luck Gingernutty!
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 19th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 8,290 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Good luck for today gingernutty

I'm having a wobbly. DH will be home in an hour or so for us to go away and I'm breaking out in a sweat, feeling sick, shaky, you name it. I know it is utterly ridiculous- we're only going 2 1/2 hours up the road! - but my head is telling me again and again that I can't do it we've only booked the hotel for one night, DH wants to stretch it to 4 nights as we have a different hotel booked for Saturday night but I said we'll see how it goes. I think I'd rather come home inbetween but I can't tell him it's that I'm afraid I will not cope because if I say that he will get all grouchy and ignore me which makes it a thousand times worse.

I'm trying to pack everything I can think that will help me cope, pills for all possible needs, my knitting, a book, my favourite biscuits and some boiled sweets, even a de-stress essential oil to sniff. I will have my tablet to look up things to visit and watch movies if need be.

Any tips or advice that might help please?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jul 17, 12:11 PM
    • 27,176 Posts
    • 98,732 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Good luck for today gingernutty

I'm having a wobbly. DH will be home in an hour or so for us to go away and I'm breaking out in a sweat, feeling sick, shaky, you name it. I know it is utterly ridiculous- we're only going 2 1/2 hours up the road! - but my head is telling me again and again that I can't do it we've only booked the hotel for one night, DH wants to stretch it to 4 nights as we have a different hotel booked for Saturday night but I said we'll see how it goes. I think I'd rather come home inbetween but I can't tell him it's that I'm afraid I will not cope because if I say that he will get all grouchy and ignore me which makes it a thousand times worse.

I'm trying to pack everything I can think that will help me cope, pills for all possible needs, my knitting, a book, my favourite biscuits and some boiled sweets, even a de-stress essential oil to sniff. I will have my tablet to look up things to visit and watch movies if need be.

Any tips or advice that might help please?
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Can you promise yourself a reward or treat if you make it through the first night?
    Then you could also up the reward/treat for each subsequent night, that you might manage.

Also, can you look at their menus online, and see what you really fancy?

Also, can you order dinner and/or breakfast in the hotel room, to make it seem less daunting?

Take some luxury smellies, to have a pamper bath while you're there. Assuming there is a bath and not just a shower!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 19th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 7,492 Posts
    • 16,444 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Hello all! Started new job Monday, everyone is fab but my head is in overload atm haha!

Good luck GN!

Elsien - oh Gitdog is such a cutie

Hope everyone is well

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 19th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 8,290 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Thanks for the ideas Pyxis we've arrived and it's a very nice room and staff friendly. There's a flea market tomorrow so I'm promising myself a little pressie tomorrow as suggested!
    We had a walk around the town and there looks like some interesting shops to explore and I picked up a leaflet on local attractions. If tonight goes ok then there would be plenty to see if we stay on so fingers crossed it all goes ok!
    I've already realised I forgot to pack a nightie but DH has offered me one of his t shirts to sleep in. I said only if it's a clean one and not the one he's wearing
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 27,176 Posts
    • 98,732 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Thanks for the ideas Pyxis we've arrived and it's a very nice room and staff friendly. There's a flea market tomorrow so I'm promising myself a little pressie tomorrow as suggested!
    We had a walk around the town and there looks like some interesting shops to explore and I picked up a leaflet on local attractions. If tonight goes ok then there would be plenty to see if we stay on so fingers crossed it all goes ok!
    I've already realised I forgot to pack a nightie but DH has offered me one of his t shirts to sleep in. I said only if it's a clean one and not the one he's wearing
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Yey! You got there!
    That's the biggest hurdle over!
    It's all a doddle from now on....... just doing whatever takes your fancy!

If you do feel a bit overwhelmed, just pop back to the hotel room for a bit of standby-mode time! And while in standby-mode, think of what your next treat will be!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 20th Jul 17, 2:50 AM
    • 16,945 Posts
    • 44,513 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Saw doctor today. Told me i need to stay on my mood stabiliser, but need to male sure i split dose it, morning and night. Said he would speak to a psychiatrist about my meds. Left a voucemail saying he;s left info that might be helpful with reception. I'm crashing. It feels bad. I was so so up and now i feel like i've rock bottom. This is what they want though. Cant get help till im in crisis. well here i am, in crisis. thats what they wanted thats what they get. they could have helped me before getting to this point but they didn't. so here i am. havemt got my pip renwal sorted because i've been up all week and i blocked it out. cannot deal with the stress of that on top of how im feeling. im so frustrated. why the hell can i not get help? doctor told me to have someone around me wh0o can look after me but i'm st mine monday to friday cos swain has work early on weekdays and i dont finish till 10pm so too late to go to his. I don;t know what to do. If i'm still feeling like this tomorrow !!!! it i;m calling 111.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 0lbs
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 20th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 10,100 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Hey MU.

Sorry to see you're still not well.

I doubt they wanted you to feel so bad, they just need you to come down off your high and reach a stable state.

You were feeling fabulous while you were high and delayed calling for help, it's a stupid system.

The system waits for us to call for help, even though we have definite diagnoses of pretty serious illnesses.

It would make more sense if we had more check ups at GP and psychiatrist level in order to ascertain progress, moods and stability.

Please take care of yourself.

In other news, I'll hear tomorrow afternoon about the job.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 14,749 Posts
    • 36,666 Thanks
    elsien
    MU call 111 if you need to, that's what it's there for.
    I'm sorry you're feeling so bad at the moment. Can swain call DWP for you and let them know you're unwell? They can't give him any information but they will log the call for future reference to explain any delays.

GN fingers crossed for good news for you today.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 20th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 5,655 Posts
    • 12,935 Thanks
    mellymoo74
    MU if you are comfortable with it you can get SWAIN to be your appointed person with the DWP.
    I do it for OH
    You don't need to be married
    Money can still go into your account
    Xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin