Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,104Posts
    • 21,565Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 455
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 29th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 8,891 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    As far as I know she is sort of ok.
    She has been pretty unwell, though.

I don't think she is up to posting just yet, though.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Well big hugs to her if she reads this, and anyone else who needs them x
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 31st Jul 17, 12:51 AM
    • 3,462 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Yesterday I surpassed myself.

I got some shopping in on Saturday and did the laundry.

Yesterday, I shambled round in my pyjamas, eating, broesing the internet, reading my latest cross stitch magazine and esting some more.

That's it.

Another weekend gone and nothing achieved....
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • elona
    • By elona 31st Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 11,247 Posts
    • 59,935 Thanks
    elona
    You got the shopping and laundry done and you gave yourself a chance to relax and recharge your batteries and enhance your knowledge,

Sounds like a good balance to me, so don't beat yourself up.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 31st Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 8,891 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Gingernutty sometimes down time and rest is just what our bodies need, don't feel bad about it *hugs*

There was a permaculture show on yesterday that I popped into briefly and just did the stalls. They had lectures too but I wasn't in the mood so just picked up leaflets. I have so much reading to catch up on but I can't seem to get into it at the moment, but I have managed to get into my knitting again.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 31st Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3,523 Posts
    • 7,732 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I did less than you Gingernutty. It got to Sunday evening and I realised the bacon / onion / mushroom and pasta thing I wanted to cook wasn't going to happen as I'd failed to go to the supermarket to buy the onions, mushrooms and pasta. Ended up going for a chinese takeway, which was the only time I left the house all weekend. I didn't achieve anything with the time I spent at home really, washed and vacuumed the car as I wanted to take some pictures so it can go on ebay or something, as I'm fed up with it breaking down all the time. That was pretty much it, aside from watching the cricket and F1.

Can't wander around in my pyjamas, though, as I don't own any!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 31st Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 8,638 Posts
    • 15,516 Thanks
    calleyw
    Morning my lovelies,

Hugs and squishes and handshakes all round.

Well spent the weekend in a tent and it rained almost all weekend. AM's dad decided a 6 person tent would be best for AM and his then wife and AC Got to the camp site and put it up in the rain. And did not manage to kill each other . which is all good. Bearing in mind its been packed in a bag for nearly 10 years and its only the second time that AM has put it up

And it was first time away together as well. AM is a real adult now. We joined the National Trust as a couple. Well that makes it a serious relationship now

We went with some friends. So lots of drinking of cider. Have a place about 15 miles away from us that does flavored ciders. One they have is cola flavored cider. Oh my, that went down rather well. Some how we ended up leaving the cider place with 44 litres of cider There was 5 of us by the way. And came home with about 24L left!!!

Not sure about camping. Do prefer my home comforts. And it was not cheap £60 for a two nights!!! Prefer a travel lodge LOL!!!!

Got to the point yesterday when packing up. Where I said just chuck it all in. Its damp and dirty and I will wash it tomorrow (today).

So once AM has done some admin jobs. Still not changed his address on lots of things. We will be going out. But think its going to rain.

Everyone take care.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 31st Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 4,152 Thanks
    Izadora
    Dandy, I have no idea how you could go about getting your daughter to eat more healthily and give herself a bit of energy but I hope you find something.

Ginger, don't beat yourself up, weekends don't need to be about achieving anything and recuperation time does us all good.

Ono, you could've been lazier, you could've ordered the takeaway for delivery

Calley, well done for going camping. It's not something I enjoy but IzHe really loves it so I've agreed that I'll give it a go and, as long as I don't utterly despise it, we can have a few camping weekends when the weather's looking okay.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 31st Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3,523 Posts
    • 7,732 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I don't do camping either, though if I can sell the car and get the old van MOTed and sell that, I'd like to get a newer van with the idea of one day converting it into a camper. No wet tents to deal with that way.

I would have felt quite guilty about ordering the takeway for delivery as it's less than 10 minutes walk to the shop!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 31st Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8,638 Posts
    • 15,516 Thanks
    calleyw
    Calley, well done for going camping. It's not something I enjoy but IzHe really loves it so I've agreed that I'll give it a go and, as long as I don't utterly despise it, we can have a few camping weekends when the weather's looking okay.
    Originally posted by Izadora
    Thanks Izzy. It was kinda sprung on us on monday so mad dash to book it.

Its mainly the facilities that I have issue with. Not keen on getting up and walking to the loo in the middle of the night. And I do suffer with upset stomachs. Never know when they are going to happen. But need to get a loo PDQ!!!!

Yours

Calley X

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 31st Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 8,638 Posts
    • 15,516 Thanks
    calleyw
    I don't do camping either, though if I can sell the car and get the old van MOTed and sell that, I'd like to get a newer van with the idea of one day converting it into a camper. No wet tents to deal with that way.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    A camper van would be lush. Tent did not leak that much. But it was cold and damp and that just seeped in to everything.

I would have felt quite guilty about ordering the takeway for delivery as it's less than 10 minutes walk to the shop!
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Nah be decadent once in a while

Yours

Calley

• xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 31st Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 17,021 Posts
    • 44,746 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Good news! I got a phone call today asking me to go for an assessment for the managing bipolar course, its for them to assess whether its suitable for me. Its not till the end of august but at least i have a chance of something positive coming from this

Moodwise since i started my anti-d again i feel ok, not too down, not too up, more level.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 2nd Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 8,891 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Feeling very agitated today. I can't stop my mind working against me and I need to find something to occupy myself but I can't settle. Last night when I tried to sleep every time I closed me eyes I imagined spiders which I hate and make me feel sick. Today my head keeps imagining upsetting situations that aren't even real, and I already set myself a task that I know will be hard and frustrating. I hate my brain, it's supposed to help me but it is doing everything it can to make me feel ill. I don't understand these things because I'm supposed to be in control of it but it really is like someone else is working it. It seems to deliberately try to find ways to upset me.
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 2nd Aug 17, 9:59 AM
    • 3,462 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Oof. Tough one. Anxiety. No idea what to say, but I couldn't read and run.

Sorry to hear you're having a bad day dandy-candy.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 2nd Aug 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 4,152 Thanks
    Izadora
    Dandy, sorry you're having a rough day.

I have no suggestions for how to ease it but I can sympathise, it's rubbish when your brain decides it hates you and is going to spend its time taunting you.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 2nd Aug 17, 11:28 AM
    • 11,527 Posts
    • 48,271 Thanks
    whitewing
    MU, I am pleased about your assessment.

dandy, did you watch

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/old-peoples-home-for-4-year-olds/on-demand/64374-001

last night?

It is brilliant. Hamish is my favourite old fella. It may distract you from your anxiety for an hour. (The second episode is on tonight).

WaS, if you are hovering, I think you would be able to watch it without being triggered but maybe check with WaSp first. Hope you are well enough to say 'hi' at some point.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 3rd Aug 17, 12:42 AM
    • 17,021 Posts
    • 44,746 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Feeling very agitated today. I can't stop my mind working against me and I need to find something to occupy myself but I can't settle. Last night when I tried to sleep every time I closed me eyes I imagined spiders which I hate and make me feel sick. Today my head keeps imagining upsetting situations that aren't even real, and I already set myself a task that I know will be hard and frustrating. I hate my brain, it's supposed to help me but it is doing everything it can to make me feel ill. I don't understand these things because I'm supposed to be in control of it but it really is like someone else is working it. It seems to deliberately try to find ways to upset me.
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Anxiety is horrible.

Something that works for me when i'm anxious and my brain isn;t behaving is a technique called grounding. Basically you think of 5 things you can see (a clock, a window anything really), 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. I know it sounds crazy and you do feel a bit silly doing it but i do find it helps a lot with anxiety *though more with the panic attack side of it). Sometimes you need to take yourself away from it all and focus on your surroundings. When you're thinking of spiders can you tell your brain "no"? Again sounds silly but when i have bad thoughts i try and tell my brain to behave, tell myself that x isn;t real and it can;t hurt me. Would that help? Sorry you're feeling so anxious.
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    • lobbyludd
    • By lobbyludd 3rd Aug 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 10,639 Thanks
    lobbyludd
    hi everyone,
    I've been lurking on your thread for years, and have anxiety and depression -

Dandy -what works for my anxiety if it's starting to ramp up is (and I know this sounds ridiculous, but I have to say it out loud AND do the actions!) is to put my hand out in front of me like I'm directing traffic in a "stop motion" and firmly say (out loud) "Stop" at the same time.

My brain invariably segues into singing either "stop, wait a minute, mr post man" or "stop in the name of love" or a number of other songs with "stop" in the lyrics.

If it doesn't I sing the damn things out loud and repeat the action until it does - the absurdity of this sort of jolts my brain out of the cyclone of anxious thoughts.

Easier to do in private though! I've done it so often now that just humming the tune, or thinking about how bonkers it would look to someone else if I did this in the middle of the street or a meeting is enough to pop me out of an anxious thought spiral sometimes.

back off to lurk.
    A/give up smoking (done)
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 3rd Aug 17, 12:07 PM
    • 3,523 Posts
    • 7,732 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    HI lobbyludd and welcome to the thread
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 4th Aug 17, 12:27 AM
    • 17,021 Posts
    • 44,746 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Slightly worried about the assessment i have, or rather where its taking place. The guy who threatened my friend with a knife trying to get my loctation so he could kill me has serious psychiatric problems and my friend told me he goes to the place where my assessment is (hes apparently registered at my doctors too though thankfully haven'y crossed paths), i' now scared shitless of going there and him being there. Causing me a lot of anxiety. Any advice?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 4th Aug 17, 12:56 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 2,911 Thanks
    dekaspace
    What a last few days, last minute hospital appointment where it was all but confirmed I have sleep apnea but can't officially do it until I have an appointment in about 2 months to pickup kit that monitors me when I wear it.

It explains the poor sleep as even when I go to bed I often feel like I haven't slept at all so thats why one day I may be lucky and drag myself out of bed after 8 hours and feel ok all day and another time barely be functional after 9 or 10.

Sure mental health/anxiety too but as I have said in past its a vicious cycle, even when I was at my lowest before the family member died a good night sleep meant I didn't feel tired all day and could at least be glued to a movie in a good way, or go for a walk as felt refreshed, these days I feel asleep even when awake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

762Posts Today

6,547Users online

Martin's Twitter