Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,104Posts
    • 21,565Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 452
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Jul 17, 9:38 AM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 7,360 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    At which point it occurred to me I sleep starkers and he may well have been running from the sight of my full frontal.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Had a girlfriend once who was surprised that I slept with nothing on. "But what if there are burglars?" she said. I explained that if there were, then I had rather more to worry about than embarrassment at being seen naked by a stranger!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 12th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 7,593 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Had a girlfriend once who was surprised that I slept with nothing on. "But what if there are burglars?" she said. I explained that if there were, then I had rather more to worry about than embarrassment at being seen naked by a stranger!
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    That reminds me of my Nan - she used to say "Always wear clean and tidy knickers, you never know if you're going to be run over by a bus".

I think if I was hit by a bus, I'd be worried about more than my knickers...!!

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 12th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Wth?? I'd be putting up razor wire and vaselining the drain pipes JM
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Our garden is very secure at the back. Unfortunately our moron neighbours often leave their back gate open or unlocked. Once in THEIR garden it is but a short hop to ours........
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 12th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 3,899 Thanks
    Izadora
    I think if I was hit by a bus, I'd be worried about more than my knickers...!!
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star
    I hadn't been hit by a bus but I remember ending up in hospital (with what turned out to be gallstones) and being mortified that I was wearing days-of-the-week pants and had on the wrong day
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 15,042 Posts
    • 37,683 Thanks
    elsien
    Would it surprise anyone here that HCAs on mental health wards may have no mental health training when they start working on the wards?

Found a new autism related website today I thought I'd share in case it's of any use to anyone.
    http://www.pdasociety.org.uk/
    Last edited by elsien; 12-07-2017 at 5:21 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 12th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 13,013 Thanks
    mellymoo74
    No elsien it really wouldn't
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 13th Jul 17, 12:32 AM
    • 16,989 Posts
    • 44,643 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Washing up liquid guy has moved out.

Oh dear lord. I was told by another housemate that when the landlord went in to his room, he could barely open the door for rubbish, the stench was suffocating (its smelt bad for weeks) and brace yourselves....he urinated and defecated on the floor I am so relived that he's gone. Landlord is currently in the process of gutting the room. I just hope that next time he maybe gets references

Mood is up again. Fed up of trying to see the doctor. I tried twice last week for an emergency appointment and i tried again today. Quelle surprise all the appointments had gone by the time i got through on the phone. Thankfully i'm seeing my GP next week but this is getting bloody ridiculous now. i would love to know what the criteria for being referred back to the mental health team is? Apparently the only crisis i can have is when i'm depressed and suicidal. What the hell constitutes a crisis when i'm up? Do i have to experience psychosis (fear i was heading close last week), what is the limit?
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 13th Jul 17, 7:24 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    I hadn't been hit by a bus but I remember ending up in hospital (with what turned out to be gallstones) and being mortified that I was wearing days-of-the-week pants and had on the wrong day
    Originally posted by Izadora
    This really made my laugh! I do remember way back when my mum had been ill she fainted at home one evening and my dad called out the gp. Mum insisted on being helped up to her room to put on a "good nightdress" before returning to the floor where she had originally collapsed

MU I'm so glad that the gross guy has gone, yuk! I would kick off with the local GP though, do they know you have MH problems on reception? They should be making more effort to fit you in quickly. Do any of the hospitals near you have a walk in clinic? It might be worth googling.

Feeling a bit wobbly now and again, new meds aren't kicking in yet but it's only been 5 days and they take 2 weeks.

Tummy fully recovered but I've been eating loads to make up for lost time so the few lbs I lost are back on now I keep planning on starting to walk around the block but I feel really self conscious doing it alone around here because it's suburban and no one walks unless they are jogging or have a dog, neither of which I do! Yesterday I drove to a parade of shops so I could walk around without looking odd I did visit the charity shops and got a book and small handbag so was good

I hope everyone has a good day x
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 13th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 7,593 Posts
    • 16,739 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Eek! Last day at current job. I've cried twice already!

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 13th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 8,632 Posts
    • 15,509 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my lovelies,

Hugs and handshakes and squishes all round. Special shout outs to WaS and Tea. And any other MIA's You are missed.

Well feeling very meh at the moment. Unhappy with myself. I am obese and really hate myself at the moment. I have wardrobe full of summer dresses that I can't really fit in. And have about 3 dresses I have never worn. And I don't want to give them away.

I think the biggest issues is the Achilles tendonitis. As its hampering my exercise at the moment. And with AM taking AC out its making me very lazy. Still not dressed or showered yet. And AM and my ex are due home in about 45 mins

I am cooking some tea and then off to see despicable me 3.

Just feel a bit adrift. No routine after what 2 years at home. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with AM just not AC's hair everywhere

Also from tomorrow morning until sunday evening I am on my own with AC so will have to walk him. But then it will be ice pack, pain killers and leg up on the sofa for rest of the day. Will be staying at home as no car. I do miss having a car. But then I would get even more lazy than I am now

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 13th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 8,632 Posts
    • 15,509 Thanks
    calleyw
    Eek! Last day at current job. I've cried twice already!

HBS x
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star
    HBS,

awww. When do you start the new one?

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 13th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    faerielight
    Penguin hI guys, been hovering but I'm always so scared of overloading you all with my problems.. too much going on as always.. thyroid low again and I'm so shattered. Been for a pre op but feel way too ill to have the surgery soon. Been turned down for therapy from the mental health team and told I'm not allowed to talk about trauma in keyworking as they are not therapists, so I'm feeling so alone with all the mother stuff. I have to tryt and put the lid back on, which I didn't want to do.
    My uncle has forbidden the law firm dealing with my mother's estate to have any contact with me, after I asked for a copy of the spanish will , which is really stressing me out.. I need a heads up when the house goes on the market, so I can look for somewhere to buy, as the money will hopefully be just enough to buy a flat, if I'm lucky, but being on benefits is a problem. They are just going to send me a cheque and it will all go on my hefty rent and social service bill.. My uncle has found a prime way to mess me over , he is so evil. I can't get any free legal advice at all. I can't tell whether there's something dodgy going on regarding her property in spain that she allegedly gave to him. It wouldn't surprise me given how crooked my family is, or whether it's just the smear campaign of hate passed down from my mum to my uncle and to the firm, who he chose, as it is a friend of his. I don't know anything. They also refused point blank for my friend's boyfriend to go back to the house and retrieve the rest of the photos that I was unable to take, because the solicitor only allowed me an hour there.
    I've not had any applications for the PA/carers even though I've advertised everywhere, and my awful care agency manager is putting so much pressure on me to leave and keeps threatening to pull my care , even though I've stopped complaining of the timing of the care calls.
    And my male bestie hasn't talked to me since I came back from the house after finding the books. It all sucks so badly.
    I'm slipping into a really dark depression and I don't know how to see the woods for the trees
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 13th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Hugs to you faerie, have you spoken to your local CAB? I'd make an appointment and ask their advice. Perhaps find out if any local solicitors offer an initial free consultation re. mums estate and your uncle. Can you ring your male friend and patch it up?

Calleyw I'm in the same boat regarding clothes and weight. So many pretty things in the wardrobe I know I'd look fab in if I was 2 stone lighter
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 14th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    faerielight
    aww thanks dandy I rang CAB but they said that they couldn't give inheritance advice, which was frustrating. They just sent me some info on executor's role.
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 15,042 Posts
    • 37,683 Thanks
    elsien
    Faerie, is the house in this country. Just that houses generally end up on zoopla, rightmove etc so I was wondering if you could either set up some sort of alert or just regularly check the sites till it shows up?
    Is there a Law Centre anywhere near you you could access?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• elsien
    • By elsien 15th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 15,042 Posts
    • 37,683 Thanks
    elsien
    As promised, Gitdog agility. I particularly like the one where he would much prefer to run off with the big stick than jump over it

• dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 15th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 8,595 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Aww elsien he's lovely!

Another yoyo day: woke up low, went to a car boot sale and got some nice skirts so cheered up, DH sulked all the way home because he was going to be late for work (he's the boss so not a problem!) so low again, after he left I cheered up lol, then DS2 had a go at me because there was nothing in he fancied for lunch- told me I "wasn't doing my job properly" so I ended up in tears. DH had a word with him when he got back so I got an apology from DS2 but still left flat

I've booked two separate nights away, one on Wednesday and the other on Saturday. I've got until a couple of nights before to cancel them penalty free but I want to try and do it. DH is coming with and we are going to antique/flea markets. He has suggested staying away the entire time so I said maybe, and we can book as we go, but I don't think my nerves can handle it. Planning to take a few books and some knitting to keep myself busy!

I hope everyone is getting on ok x
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 16th Jul 17, 12:00 AM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    elsien - I love the 'big stick' one as well as it's so obvious that he ADORES you! xxx
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • *max*
    • By *max* 16th Jul 17, 4:03 AM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 13,151 Thanks
    *max*
    That last pic I couldn't help going "Wheeeeeeeeeee!" in my head. lol
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 16th Jul 17, 7:30 AM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 8,235 Thanks
    uberalles
    As promised, Gitdog agility. I particularly like the one where he would much prefer to run off with the big stick than jump over it
    Originally posted by elsien
    Great pictures and a wonderful looking EBT. He looks full of character, does you proud .
    A heart that's...full up like a landfill...a job that slowly kills you...bruises that won't heal.
    He knows there's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    I got so tired of concluding that there's nothing for us to conclude.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

444Posts Today

3,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin