Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,101Posts
    • 21,526Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 447
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 17th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 7,212 Posts
    • 3,883 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    Naa, alcohol doesn't work for me. I don't like the effect the next day, having small children means that they miss out as of my actions.

Feeling a bit up today, trying to remove that "negative filter" as explained earlier in the thread.

Hopefully I'll have WiFi when I'm away

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 17th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 8,598 Posts
    • 15,342 Thanks
    calleyw
    Evening my lovelies,

Hugs and squishes all round.

Not sure what is happening on this thread. Had a load of new people. Which is always nice to see. but they seemed to be for some reason wanting to derail it.

They don't seem to understand the reason for this threads existence.

Any how on a really nicer note. Popped in to asda to pick up some bits and pieces yep nearly £60 later. Blame AM not me!!!

I bumped in to a friend who I have not seen in years. Was on the same self service till. She looked at me and said my name. I looked thinking who is this. Then remember. Then chaos as we tried to make sure we exchange mobile numbers LOL!!!

She lives closer than she did before. So means we can hopefully meet up one day for lunch or something.

AM managed to cut the grass after a bit of grief LOL!!! Mowers not working etc.

He is out with the dog I bowed out as way to hot here.

Everyone make sure you are staying cool and getting enough to drink.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 17th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Penitent
    Sorry, calley, it looks like someone's decided that I'm someone else's AE and now they seem to have brought their friends. I've actually complained about AEs and cliques getting innocent people banned in the past, but they've made their minds up that I'm whoever it is that slighted them, so I guess I'm just going to have to put up with getting trolled until I give in and leave. I'll stop posting in this thread in the hope that they'll leave it alone.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 17th Jun 17, 7:38 PM
    • 8,598 Posts
    • 15,342 Thanks
    calleyw
    Sorry, calley, it looks like someone's decided that I'm someone else's AE and now they seem to have brought their friends. I've actually complained about AEs and cliques getting innocent people banned in the past, but they've made their minds up that I'm whoever it is that slighted them, so I guess I'm just going to have to put up with getting trolled until I give in and leave. I'll stop posting in this thread in the hope that they'll leave it alone.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Penitent,

Please don't stop posting. If you need to be heard on here thats fine. But if you want to take a break then do so. But know we are here if needed.

Never understood while people feel the need to bully others. The internet has made it so much easier and faceless.

What ever you choose to do. Please take care.

Yours

Calley X

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 17th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 26,448 Posts
    • 95,638 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Penitent...... no need to stop posting, and please,please don't.

It may be several AEs posing as newbies,or it may be just one with several AEs, getting some fun out of baiting people with mental health issues.

Or it may be sixth-formers on study leave who are bored.

Or it may be one or several individuals who actually have problems of their own, but who haven't yet 'come out' about them.

Whatever the reason for the baiting, I reckon we should be magnanimous and assume that their own problems are the reason for this activity.

So please, f.o.d.and G4 and any others yet to emerge, please rest assured that we understand that you may be going through a difficult time, and are finding it hard to admit your demons, but that is ok. We've all been through the darkest of times, so we know what it is like to feel excluded and/or marginalised, so you are among like-minded sufferers.

We will try to help you where we can, even if it just a listening ear.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • elona
    • By elona 17th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 10,952 Posts
    • 56,951 Thanks
    elona
    Penitent

Please don't let the *******s grind you down and stop posting.

Pyxis

I agree that someone must have problems of their own to be so horrible to vulnerable people. In the words of TA Barracus "I pity the fool!"
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 18th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    • 28,942 Posts
    • 53,843 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    [QUOTE=jobbingmusician;72405900]Hope everyone is having a lovely Easter. SDW, thinking especially of you in this respect as you have lost your church 'family'. Hoping you and your new church will grow closer xxxx

Penguin about Church:

Just resurrected this to say we think we have found our new church It is one we have attended for a few months before, ten years ago, and found nice but stuffy. However, it has now had a new vicar, times have moved on and it is far more relaxed. It is a C of E, not our Parish church, but actually is no further away.

As today was Fathers' Day, a lot of the service was very family centred. One bit I particularly liked, brought tears to my eyes. The children's choir was singing 'You Raise Me Up' ( a song I love,) and while singing, each choir member, one by one, fetched their dad from the congregation and stood with him at the front. How lovely. Every man in the congregation was also given a Yorkie Bar

Anyway, thanks for letting me share, it is a part of my life that is so important, please feel free to ignore if it is not your thing.

End Pengiuin

To those going through rough times on the forum, I too have had problems and have been yellow carded. It makes you scared to post anything. But all I can say is, don't let them drive you away.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 26,448 Posts
    • 95,638 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Well, I see that someone has been hoovering up in here!

Hopefully it will stay nice and tidy now.

7DW, with regard to the Yorkie bar, a lot of people think it was called Yorkie because it was made in the York Rowntrees factory.

In actual fact, it was originally made in the their Goole factory.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 18th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 28,942 Posts
    • 53,843 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Well, I see that someone has been hoovering up in here!

Hopefully it will stay nice and tidy now.

7DW, with regard to the Yorkie bar, a lot of people think it was called Yorkie because it was made in the York Rowntrees factory.

In actual fact, it was originally made in the their Goole factory.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I think we had better stick to calling iy a Yorkie!!!!
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 19th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    Izadora
    Hello All, I've finally caught up with 3 weeks' worth of posts!!

Hugs and squishes to all that need them, sorry that it seems like that's quite a few of you at the moment.

If anyone's looking for somewhere to go on holiday I can wholeheartedly recommend Cuba, Havana is one of the most amazing places I've ever been. Varadero was lovely too but it's very much an all-inclusive kind of place and therefore could kind of be anywhere and didn't feel particularly Cuban. For the most part the weather was amazing but decided to rain pretty much all day on our wedding day so we had to get married indoors rather than on the beach. It was still beautiful though and we were really lucky that the rain stopped for a little while just after the ceremony so we managed to get our photos on the beach even if we couldn't say "I do" there.

After a couple of bonus days off (I was meant to be back to work on Thursday but my boss told me not to come in until today and call it a wedding present ) and celebrating my 40th on Saturday being back at work isn't feeling like too much fun. Oh well, I brought lots of cake in today so at least I'll have an enjoyable afternoon!!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 19th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 8,598 Posts
    • 15,342 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my lovelies,

Hugs and squishes and handshakes all round.

Iz that sounds lovely.

I am melting. Just thought that I would mention you can use hot water bottles as cold water bottle by putting in cold water and use them to keep cool. I know I might be stating the obvious.

I am melting. Suppose to have some rain tomorrow here. Need it. My water butt is empty and I have loads of pots that need watering. Put my runner beans out but watered the compost and the plants before I transplanted them. And put them in shade. So should be ok for a few days.

Was out walking the dog at 7.30 this morning to avoid the heat still hot and changed my route so that I could stay in the shade LOL!!!!

Windows in on wednesday. Not sure what to get in to offer the fitters. Might get some ice lollies in and some nice flavoured waters in.

Still need to tidy up and be up early wednesday to take all the curtains down.

Everyone make sure you drink enough and keep as cool and in the shade as much as possible.

Yours

Calley X

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 26,448 Posts
    • 95,638 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Hello All, I've finally caught up with 3 weeks' worth of posts!!

Hugs and squishes to all that need them, sorry that it seems like that's quite a few of you at the moment.

If anyone's looking for somewhere to go on holiday I can wholeheartedly recommend Cuba, Havana is one of the most amazing places I've ever been. Varadero was lovely too but it's very much an all-inclusive kind of place and therefore could kind of be anywhere and didn't feel particularly Cuban. For the most part the weather was amazing but decided to rain pretty much all day on our wedding day so we had to get married indoors rather than on the beach. It was still beautiful though and we were really lucky that the rain stopped for a little while just after the ceremony so we managed to get our photos on the beach even if we couldn't say "I do" there.

After a couple of bonus days off (I was meant to be back to work on Thursday but my boss told me not to come in until today and call it a wedding present ) and celebrating my 40th on Saturday being back at work isn't feeling like too much fun. Oh well, I brought lots of cake in today so at least I'll have an enjoyable afternoon!!
    Originally posted by Izadora
    Congratulations!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 19th Jun 17, 1:06 PM
    • 8,598 Posts
    • 15,342 Thanks
    calleyw
    Forgot to mention still getting post for my ex lodger from the DVLA. Not happy. Might give them his last know works address. Which is strange as if he sdoes not have the car why are they chasing him and if he does did not update his records for the car?

I am still so mad at him just leaving like that without a word. And he wonders why I was annoyed at him sneaking off like that. Was not even about the money. but someone he claimed to be a friend as well.

He did save me giving notice. But to leave me without giving notice and my last month's rent is a bit cheeky.

Yours

Calley X

• jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 19th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 18,503 Posts
    • 18,733 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Gosh, what have I missed? I've been off playing Tosca (which was lovely). Does the reference to hoovering up mean that some posts have been deleted? I can't see deleted posts on this board, only on my boards. I can see a couple of the new posters have been banned, but the posts by them I can see look OK - did I miss some nasty ones? Sorry about this - obviously not keeping a close enough eye on the thread!

AO - sorry to hear it's two steps forward, one step back. I do hope the overall journey is still positive, though! xxx

SDW - delighted to hear you've found a new church, and I hope it continues to be a positive place in your life. My spiritual home is the place where I go to play music!

Loads of squishes to anyone who would like one xxxx ~~~~ (((())))
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 2:56 PM
    • 26,448 Posts
    • 95,638 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Gosh, what have I missed? I've been off playing Tosca (which was lovely). Does the reference to hoovering up mean that some posts have been deleted? I can't see deleted posts on this board, only on my boards. I can see a couple of the new posters have been banned, but the posts by them I can see look OK - did I miss some nasty ones? Sorry about this - obviously not keeping a close enough eye on the thread!

AO - sorry to hear it's two steps forward, one step back. I do hope the overall journey is still positive, though! xxx

SDW - delighted to hear you've found a new church, and I hope it continues to be a positive place in your life. My spiritual home is the place where I go to play music!

Loads of squishes to anyone who would like one xxxx ~~~~ (((())))
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician

We had some new visitors who were, shall we say, a little bit controversial.

Their posts were deleted, but it has been brought to my attention that quite a few other posts have been deleted too, as the post count has dropped. Possibly by the person/persons who posted them, I don't know, and I don't know any more than that.

I did get a bit worried at one point.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 19th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 6,638 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Congratulations Izadora

Gosh, what have I missed?
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    A few new accounts (I won't say posters as chances are it was just one person) turned up at the weekend and decided to apply "Discussion Time" levels of politeness and just be generally condescending in a deliberate attempt at trolling the thread.

I had a lovely weekend with my friend visiting and the weather was fantastic, reached 32C in the shade in my back garden We talked quite a bit about her MH problems, the assessments, the difference actually having a diagnosis has made, PIP, effects of the SSRIs she's being prescribed and so on. She's self employed and since being on medication it's about halved her work rate and therefore income, so getting PIP helps.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 19th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 16,789 Posts
    • 25,558 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Penguin reply to SDW Glad you've found a new church home. When church is a large part of your life it's a huge thing when you have to move so I'm really pleased for you. My church leaders in their wisdom have stopped the evening service which is when I can attend. and also information isn't being shared with those who can't attend mornings. That's despite having a weekly e-mail. Have been going along to aother church in the evening.

While it's good that the church acknowledged Fathers' Day ( how many times have I seen the apostrophe in the wrong place), it could have been difficult for any men who were not fathers.

End pengun
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 26,448 Posts
    • 95,638 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Lambyr, if you are hovering, I hope you are ok.

I've tried PMing you, but can't.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 19-06-2017 at 6:20 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 19th Jun 17, 11:59 PM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 44,425 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Swain ended up not coming to the meal. I never realised how bad he felt about meeting new people. Saturday night he completely retreated, kept saying he couldn;t come, how he'd let me down, how he was sorry. Honestly he seemed like how i feel when i'm haviiing a panic attack, it was sheer terror on his face, i reassured him it was fine and rang my mum to let her know Even my mum agreed meeting a whole family in a place you don;t know where you can;t escape is daunting. So i suggested he not think about it for now and maybe in the future if its just a coffee with my mum and dad that won;t be so bad. I think its stems from something he experienced before where he went to a place he didn't know with people he didn;t know and he ended up feeling crap and trapped (whihc i completely understand).

The meal was nice, it was good seeing my family. oh and i found out today my sister got a first and my brother got a 2:1! So i'm a proud big sister today
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 0lbs
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 20th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 18,503 Posts
    • 18,733 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    MU - say thank you from all of us for being open about his limitations - we all have limitations and things that scare us! He was honest and open about his, and as already suggested it can be tackled on a far more piecemeal basis, meeting people more casually one or two at a time.

And well done your sibilings!

Special hugs to the hummingbirds and a big hug to WaS. (Yes Lambyr, we do miss you!) xxx
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,219Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin