Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,105Posts
    • 21,576Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 447
    • elsien
    • By elsien 22nd Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 15,415 Posts
    • 38,698 Thanks
    elsien
    One of ERs children got sectioned today. They've gone through a lot lately so it's no great surprise, but it's sad all the same. Wondering how much of a genetic element there is there, and how much is/was environmental factors.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 22nd Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    I've developed good coping strategies over the years, have had multiple rounds of CBT for the depression and so they wemt straight for the drugs option.

Even after I told them I knew they could be abused. That's a long story for not even a penguin.

They don't suggest drugs as a first option to all their adult patients, especially thiose with ishoos.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 22nd Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Gosh just woke up really disoriented. DH was calling out to DS1 and I thought it was morning and looked at the clock thinking it was 10am

I have that horrible electric pins and needles buzzing running through my entire body, does anyone else get that when they're having a "moment"?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 22nd Jun 17, 10:56 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 7,954 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Congrats on the AmDram Pyxis! And GN, I think it's good that you have a diagnosis, it was for my friend when she got hers of EUPD recently, knowing what was wrong marked a sort of watershed moment and the hope that in future there would be more steps forward than back.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 23rd Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Aaaaaand on a trip to London, I'm too diisorganised to get out the door for the 10:45 (direct) train.

So I've bought another ticket for the 11:45 train. Instead of reserving a seat, I've managed to book first class.

And I have to change a Birmingham New Street.

Brilliant.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 23rd Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 8,988 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    I hope you have a good day down here gingernutty, there's a lovely fresh breeze ATM so it doesn't feel as hot as it has been.

I dropped DD at College and had planned to look around the shops nearby but when it came to it I couldn't face it so drove home ( via McDonald's and got myself a 99!)

Feeling fragile so not sure what I will do today, probably a light tidy up and some reading. I've had a really out of control binge on knitting patterns lately, very very uncharacteristic of me - I'm usually tighter than a ducks butt - yet I can't seem to get the oompf to actually knit anything which is a shame. Hopefully I will pick up my needles again soon.

How are people getting on today? Xx
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 23rd Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 8,642 Posts
    • 15,530 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my lovelies,

Hugs and squishes and handshakes all round. For those that do need them and even if you don't I will lob a few around anyway

Windows fitted on wednesday. There appears to be some damage to the outer part of the window recess. I am sure that was not like that before. AM is like we did not take any photos!!! Typical the only room that was finished. So not sure what to do about it. Nice to have windows that shut and lock though

Anyway this week has not been good health wise. And this week its been physical health. Bad back today and two bouts of what I can only call IBS. Horrible horrible. Yesterday nearly got caught out in Aldi. had to race around. Poor husband could not understand why I was a bit cranky and desperate to get out there. I did explain to him. I did not get half my shopping. And when I had to go and pick AM. Went at the last minute so not away from a loo for too long.

Due to the warm weather my fingers are peeling and I have heat bumps on my fingers as well!!!

A lot cooler here today. Might need to put on a light jacket in a while.

Everyone take care

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 23rd Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Well, bonuses to first class are drinks, food and WiFi I don't have to pay anymore for.

Because clearly, it's all included in the extortionate price of the ticket. That's what you get for booking on the day of travel.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 23rd Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 4,201 Thanks
    Izadora
    Ginger - I hope you enjoy your trip, even if the trains are a bit of a faff. Is there a reason for coming down or is it a "why not?" kind of a trip?

Dandy - be gentle with yourself and I hope you're feeling less fragile soon.

I'm so very, very glad that it's Friday. It's my first week back since holiday and it feels like it's lasted forever, it doesn't help that I went out after work last night and didn't get home until nearly 1am. Tired doesn't begin to cover how I feel today!
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 23rd Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    I'm trying to buy a prezzie for my DSIL whose birthday is in July.

I'm going to a meet up of members of another forum.

I'm hoping to do a bit of charity shop haunting/shopping.

Might treat myself to a manicure.

Staying over two nights in a hotel.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 24th Jun 17, 12:30 AM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Hmmm ADD, I was told by a psychologist he thought I had it back in 2002, but the waiting list was 6 months for the initial check to see if you got further appointments, and took in total around 2 years to get an assessment and at any time they could say they thought you didn't have it so left it.

And after I had my autism assessment in 2012 I assumed I had that instead.

But I hear either you can have both or one is misdiagnosed as another, certainly I am told my autism is so high functioning I am almost "normal"

Someone mentioned a few pages back it sounds like I have it.

On subject of sleep both times I was in bed around this time woke up for different reasons first was druggie/alcoholic knocking on the front door for my block and as my bed is against the wall where the door is it woke me, he knocked for 30 minutes and took me another 30 to get back to sleep so still woke up around 11

Last night was in bed at 12.40 woke up 2.30 desperate for bathroom and at same time realised I had not taken my hay fever tablet, went back to bed but was too awake for about a hour so got up and put computer on, did drift a bit but looked at clock ant it was 6.30am! rushed to bed woke at 10.30 by phone but didn't get to it in time back to bed and woke up for good at 12.30

So technically I got 7-8 hours sleep but out of sync.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 24th Jun 17, 7:06 AM
    • 31,006 Posts
    • 114,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I was misdiagnosed for years as having depression, which I later found out is a symptom of adult ADHD. It's no wonder you get depressed when you can't work out why you are a 'misfit' and not functioning in quite the same way as other people!

Needless to say, none of the anti-depressants I was put on did any good at all, and one actually led to me having a breakdown.

At the time, NHS diagnosis wasn't available even for children, so I saw a Consultant privately, so no long-drawn-out waiting.
    Once diagnosed, the medication was prescribed by my GP, though, on the instructions of the Consultant.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • elsien
    • By elsien 24th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 15,415 Posts
    • 38,698 Thanks
    elsien
    De as pace, I recall being told by a psychologist a few years ago that a lot of people with autism also have add/adhd, although I don't recall the figures.

Off out now to agility with Gitdog - need to drag someone along to take photos of his athletic prowess. Or more accurately, his sunbathing if it's a sunny day.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• * sorry *
    • By * sorry * 24th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    * sorry *
    I apologise
    I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing posting this or not, please get the mods to remove it if not!

I owe you all on this thread a huge apology due to my antics on here, and I just wanted to say firstly, I'm sorry, and secondly, please don't stop posting, or worry that he's going to come back and make more stupid AEs (he is a she btw) In fact, I'm outta here after this.

(just scroll past this post if you missed the shenanigans over the past few days)

I do have a few 'issues' myself, not that that's an excuse, but I need to address these. I think Pyxis responses made me see that. I thought I was being pithy/cheeky/humorous but I now think what I did was totally inappropriate for a thread which has become some people's 'sanctuary'

I'm really sorry Waves and Smiles for disrupting your thread, and Penitent, for antagonising you, both here and in The Arms!

I know this is probably a bit random on a Saturday morning.. internet pest coming in and apologising, but I just wanted you all to know I really regret those posts and usernames and I hope no-one had a bad reaction to it.

Have a nice weekend
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 24th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 31,006 Posts
    • 114,240 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing posting this or not, please get the mods to remove it if not!

I owe you all on this thread a huge apology due to my antics on here, and I just wanted to say firstly, I'm sorry, and secondly, please don't stop posting, or worry that he's going to come back and make more stupid AEs (he is a she btw) In fact, I'm outta here after this.

(just scroll past this post if you missed the shenanigans over the past few days)

I do have a few 'issues' myself, not that that's an excuse, but I need to address these. I think Pyxis responses made me see that. I thought I was being pithy/cheeky/humorous but I now think what I did was totally inappropriate for a thread which has become some people's 'sanctuary'

I'm really sorry Waves and Smiles for disrupting your thread, and Penitent, for antagonising you, both here and in The Arms!

I know this is probably a bit random on a Saturday morning.. internet pest coming in and apologising, but I just wanted you all to know I really regret those posts and usernames and I hope no-one had a bad reaction to it.

Have a nice weekend
    Originally posted by * sorry *
    Well, 'Sorry', that was very brave of you.
    Apologising is never easy, but it does show that you can be a bigger person, so I for one am happy to accept your apology.

However, if we can be of any help, support-wise, with your issues, even if we are just being an ear, don't stop posting. People do strange things when they are under a lot of stress, or have other problems going back years, and the internet can be the modern way of 'kicking the dog' when bad feelings get too strong.

However, you have realised that real people are involved in that 'kicking', and that is really good, because you have proved you do have some empathy for others, and that they are people, not just words on a screen.

Good on you.

I hope you will stay, but if you really don't feel you can, I wish you all the best.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 24th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I was misdiagnosed for years as having depression, which I later found out is a symptom of adult ADHD. It's no wonder you get depressed when you can't work out why you are a 'misfit' and not functioning in quite the same way as other people!

Needless to say, none of the anti-depressants I was put on did any good at all, and one actually led to me having a breakdown.

At the time, NHS diagnosis wasn't available even for children, so I saw a Consultant privately, so no long-drawn-out waiting.
    Once diagnosed, the medication was prescribed by my GP, though, on the instructions of the Consultant.
    Originally posted by Pyxis

There never is a perfect answer, back when I was 18 I told doctor I was depressed so he gave me anti depressants which at most took edge off but still was heavily anxious, as I keep saying chicken and egg with me as each thing bleeds into something else.

I was always feeling like a misfit as you call it which made me anxious but loved the small things in life like watching a movie or going for a walk to park, or reading a book, these days don't even have that despite having a tablet and computer and access to so much, again a chicken and egg as I have so much I don't just get stuck in and feel like as im not feeling it then it must be because I have something better available.

So everything in my life is chicken and egg when in past it just came naturally.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 25th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 15,415 Posts
    • 38,698 Thanks
    elsien
    WaS, if you're hovering I know how much the heat knocks you for six so am hoping now it's cooler things will be slightly more bearable for you.

Saturday morning agility. Trainer explains it's my fault himself is being useless as he's looking to me for direction which I'm not giving him. That'll be because he never takes any notice of me the rest of the time so I have no expectations whatsoever about being the focus of his undivided attention.
    In his initial burst of enthusiasm he goes over the 5 ft A frame twice without having to be physically hauled over. Sun comes out, concentration of a gnat gets tired and by the end of the hour he's looking at the jumps with his best "you're having a bloody laugh" expression. Kept everyone except me amused

I now also realise just how unfit I've got having huffed and puffed my way round the course.

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 25th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 8,642 Posts
    • 15,530 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my Lovelies,

Hugs and squishes all round.

Had an eye test today. Guess what I need glasses for close work so reading and computer work. That was £59 I had not budgeted on spending this week end!

Oh well only money.

Hope everyone is coping better in this cooler weather.

Everyone take care.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 26th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 17,045 Posts
    • 44,815 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    I sweare everything happens at once. First i get a letter telling me its PIP renewal time (that should be ok as i'm going to get proper help with it) then i get a letter off tax credits basically asking if im in a realtionnship with tw@tty washing up liquid housemate! So those need chasing up, still need a doctors appointment still need to ring dvla. I've basically managed none of the above today.

Shall try and sort everything tomorrow.

Also for the next weeks i have £40 a week to live on. If i can stick to that i should have £500 of my £2000 overdraft paid off (well i'm going to owe it to Swain instead but means less interest charges and hes letting me pay it back when its all sorted over time)
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 26th Jun 17, 6:11 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Awww. You caught a good'un there MU.

I got a call from the nurse prescriber who told me that the consultant has OK'd a prescription for ADHD meds.

She's sent the fax to my GP practice and I've booked a doctor's appointment to be referred for tests to rule out underlying problems.

This is big stuff......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,089Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter