Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,072Posts
    • 21,325Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 423
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 9th Mar 17, 10:55 PM
    • 16,822 Posts
    • 44,163 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    What is hypermania actually like then, MU? (If you can talk about it) I don't really know about it but I half-thought it woulld be good compared to depression, if a bit impulsive. (I don't mean to be tactless).
    Originally posted by whitewing
    some people refer to it as mania lite, apparently its similar to mania but mani impairs you more, can include psychosis and often results in hospital addmissions.

for me one of the main symptoms is racing thoughts, i feel like my mind is running at 100mp, i can't concentrate and my head feels like i can feel synapses and electric shocks going off. i can get fixated on songs or phrases.

generally i also feel euphoric, its like a giggly high and i find everything amusing or fascinating. lights, sounds and colours all seem more vibrant, its like seeing the world in technicolour, but can be a bit ovewhelming at times. i can be more creative but it doesn;t tend to last. my last big idea was bullet journal;ing but after the intial manic spend i never got round to doing it

I can feel like i can do anything. The episode i had that led to the bipolar disgnosis, i thought i was going to make my own greetings card and take on clintons (still feel sorry for the poor student who witnessed that appointment must have thought i was insane), most recently i've been fixated on mental health and thinking i can change the whole company myself.

I speak faster and have a tendancy to ramble, sometimes it can be hard to understand me because it all comes out fast and all at once. many times people have had to ask me to calm down and speak slower. the last episode i had i started losing touch with reality a bit. i went to my manager and told him i was sorry i got confused cos it was the cows that made milk not chickens

those are the mostly postive symptoms. there's also the bad ones. I get very very irritable, i am likely to snap at people (part of why i asked to go home today cos i was afraid i'd snap at a customer), i had to keep taking myself away for 5 mins to calm down. Happens with Swain too, but i try my hardest never to snap at him, in go and try and calm myself down cos its not fair on him to take it out on him. Can also cause rages but thats only happened twice to me. It was scary. it was like i went from overly happy to the hulk within seconds. I don;t generally get angry but when its bipolar rage it can be bad. thankfully that doesn;t happen to often.

my spending is generally bad but im very much more implsive when my mood is up. i once spent £40 on candles because i needed them. I have to try and stop myself going spend mad (they call them manic spending sprees for a reason).

sorry if that was long winded, though its helping to talk about it sorry if i bored anyone
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 0lbs
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    • 10,260 Posts
    • 23,606 Thanks
    suki1964
    Hi

I just need to say I'm still here, in one piece , holding it together

I still very very agitated and wound up, but I think the crises has passed. I'm kind of functioning, if only on one cylinder.

Thankfully I feel tired. Can't mind last time I got more then an hours sleep so hopefully tonight will start the change

As for why I don't talk to a professional, I don't trust anyone. It takes me so long to build a relationship with someone, here with the crap MH services we have, I've given up

I was so very lucky when I lived in London and I got the support I needed. I had a key worker and group therapy every week and I became 'normal' lol

Normal is as much as I was stable

My family struggle to understand me. They don't cope with me ' not being well'. Most just blank out my worse times, pretend they didn't happen or weren't really as bad

So I say nothing and keep up appearances and sometimes it does just get too much, or it feels like it does

Thank you all for being there, and for your thoughts and understanding. It means a lot ( yayyy im not mad)

And yes the Samaritans are fantastic and have been there for me in the past. I do use what help that is there as and when I can. It's just not always possible
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 9th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    • 16,822 Posts
    • 44,163 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    Hi

I just need to say I'm still here, in one piece , holding it together

I still very very agitated and wound up, but I think the crises has passed. I'm kind of functioning, if only on one cylinder.

Thankfully I feel tired. Can't mind last time I got more then an hours sleep so hopefully tonight will start the change

As for why I don't talk to a professional, I don't trust anyone. It takes me so long to build a relationship with someone, here with the crap MH services we have, I've given up

I was so very lucky when I lived in London and I got the support I needed. I had a key worker and group therapy every week and I became 'normal' lol

Normal is as much as I was stable

My family struggle to understand me. They don't cope with me ' not being well'. Most just blank out my worse times, pretend they didn't happen or weren't really as bad

So I say nothing and keep up appearances and sometimes it does just get too much, or it feels like it does

Thank you all for being there, and for your thoughts and understanding. It means a lot ( yayyy im not mad)

And yes the Samaritans are fantastic and have been there for me in the past. I do use what help that is there as and when I can. It's just not always possible
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Suki i can relate on more levels than you know.

I find it very hard to trust professionals,been out of MH servoces for 4 years and im floundering but i find t hard to trust people and open up. I try and see the same GP but its not always possible and that puts me off seeing them even if im struggling.

My family are very similar to yours. They have no idea how to cope with me, especially when i'm in an episode. I feel bad but i try and keep my distance when ill because i know my mum seems to blame herself and i feel guilty for adding more stress.

I'm glad you're still here and talking to us and though still agitiated feeling at least a little better than last night. alays here if you need to talk
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 0lbs
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 10th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 8,561 Posts
    • 15,183 Thanks
    calleyw
    Afternoon my lovelies,

Working from my new to me PC. Its a cobble together of all of AM's casts off. CPU is an Intel i7 and I have 16Gbs of Ram. I have no idea what he has in his but he always has to have better LOL!!!

Massive hugs and squishes and handshakes and extras To MU and Suki.

Anyway here is something to pass by you.

AM is going away on a course to London next month for a week. And he asked me last night would it be ok to meet up with someone he knows. Not sure if its just on-line or through work in another office from his. It means staying an extra night in London at the end of the course.

I have been cool and said do what you think is most appropriate. Think he though I was going to rip his head off

Everyone take care

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 10th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8,561 Posts
    • 15,183 Thanks
    calleyw
    This is in reply to MU and Suki.

People do struggle to understand if something is a hidden condition. Such as a mental health. As its not a broken leg that mends in 6-8 weeks.

I have seen the same thing happen with my husband. He was physically and mentally changed by a stroke. The problem is people forget the damage that was done internally by the stroke. He has something dead the size of a tennis ball in his head.

They think he is exactly the same as before the stroke. We suffered with people forgetting that he does not always understand what he has said. And he would never mean to hurt or upset someone. But sometimes for him he comes across as rude or abrupt. Even though he was the most caring and loving person before it.

We have lost friends and acquaintances because of it. Some even have had some experience of some thing very similar. Which makes it very hurtful.

Its sad you have to turn to the internet for support rather than people in your own family and friends.

Please keep strong. We are always here for you.

Take care

Yours

Calley X

• tea lover
    • By tea lover 10th Mar 17, 2:02 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 35,231 Thanks
    tea lover
    Really good points calley. I've found similar with endometriosis (not saying it's the same of course, just another example of a 'hidden condition').

I often think it would be easier in some ways to have a big visible thing wrong. I would imagine that's often the case with mental ill-health too.

I did once offer to draw a picture of internally bleeding scar tissue and adhesions for one particularly obnoxious person - they declined .
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 10th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 8,561 Posts
    • 15,183 Thanks
    calleyw
    Really good points calley. I've found similar with endometriosis (not saying it's the same of course, just another example of a 'hidden condition').

I often think it would be easier in some ways to have a big visible thing wrong. I would imagine that's often the case with mental ill-health too.

I did once offer to draw a picture of internally bleeding scar tissue and adhesions for one particularly obnoxious person - they declined .
    Originally posted by tea lover
    Tea, You are naughty.

Also you don't have to answer this. But how is it going with you? Your ex got all his stuff out the garage and you are doing ok?

Have a hug anyway.

Yours

Calley X

• tea lover
    • By tea lover 10th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 35,231 Thanks
    tea lover
    I'm doing ok, thanks. Garage still has stuff in it but as I never go in there myself it's pretty easy to ignore. I know that isn't going to work as a long-term plan but it will do for now
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Working from my new to me PC. Its a cobble together of all of AM's casts off. CPU is an Intel i7 and I have 16Gbs of Ram. I have no idea what he has in his but he always has to have better LOL!!!
    Originally posted by calleyw
    That means it's a better specified computer than either my main desktop at home (that I'm typing this on), or the machine I use to do programming at work.

You shouldn't have a problem with that being under-powered for anything for at least a decade.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 10th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 8,561 Posts
    • 15,183 Thanks
    calleyw
    That means it's a better specified computer than either my main desktop at home (that I'm typing this on), or the machine I use to do programming at work.

You shouldn't have a problem with that being under-powered for anything for at least a decade.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    LOL!!!

One of AM's problems is he likes his tech!!!!

Iphone, ipad as well as a laptop and his computer. Forgot the xbox with a 47 in TV and sound bar down stairs.

Mine was cobbled together with the best bits from 4 machines he had lying around the house. He said the graphics card is not very good and its running windows 7.

Will do me fine thanks. As silly as it sounds I might get more done with using the desktop. I am not sat on the sofa watching TV while on the laptop. I got a lot more done today than I have in days. As I get up out of the chair wander around do something then come back to the machine.

We shall see. No nap today as busy tidying up and dealing with tons of washing to be done. As AM has loads of clothes he can't fit in to at the moment. But he is slowly getting back in to stuff.

Everyone I hope you get some rest tonight.

Take care

Yours

Calley X

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 11th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 8,561 Posts
    • 15,183 Thanks
    calleyw
    Evening my lovelies,

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the warm weather. Hence why it so quiet. Got up to 17 degrees today with no sun!!!!!

More stuff came out of AM's house. Nearly there I think. But only one more weekend as AM's has a TA weekend the weekend after next.

We would be lost without AM's parents and a family friend. And all the help they have given us.

Hugs and squishes and handshakes to all.

Everyone get some rest. And take care.

Yours

Calley X

• elsien
    • By elsien 12th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 14,220 Posts
    • 35,046 Thanks
    elsien
    Having a rubbish day taking parent to visit ER in hospital. Can't penguin n so won't say any more. We're all feeling a bit flat and empty tonight.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 12th Mar 17, 7:00 PM
    • 8,561 Posts
    • 15,183 Thanks
    calleyw
    Having a rubbish day taking parent to visit ER in hospital. Can't penguin n so won't say any more. We're all feeling a bit flat and empty tonight.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Elsien,

Massive hugs and squishes.

I hope you get a decent nights sleep . That should help with things.

Yours

Calley X

• tea lover
    • By tea lover 13th Mar 17, 8:45 AM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 35,231 Thanks
    tea lover
    (((elsien))) hope it went ok and today is looking better for you x.

I'm feeling a bit 'meh' due to a run of pregnancy dreams over the last week. I'm sure it's down to job-hunting, potential changes at work etc (well, it certainly isn't due to pregnancy!).... I don't feel upset as such, just a bit out of sorts about it. Not helped by always having incredibly vivid dreams that I remember in huge detail - which means that even quite dull dreams seem like they should be significant as I remember so much about them.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 13th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 7,304 Posts
    • 16,006 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    I'm joining the new job club...feeling very bullied today.

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 13th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 11,467 Posts
    • 47,989 Thanks
    whitewing
    I keep dreaming that I am riding on a coach (with perfectly friendly strangers).

Sun is shining and I feel reasonably cheerful. I have got my summer clothes out.Found a couple of items that I will give to my mother. (Who will either wear them or take great offence, depending on how her borderline pd is being).

DH has been marvellous with housework this weekend so he got his reward!

I am about to hit the charity shops to see if I can find some things I need for littlewing's latest fancy dress day at school. (Third one this month, but she enjoys them so much and family like to see the photos so it is worth the effort if I can get organised in time. At least I am not the only mum who has got the wrong day).
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 13th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 23,287 Thanks
    codemonkey
    Meh. I have a week and a half left at horrible old/new job, before I go back to new/old job. I'm finding it so hard to give a sheet and it shows.

What's going on hbs?

(((tea))) - I've had those dreams too and it's disconcerting.

ww- I'm so jealous. I love making costumes but hardly ever go to costume parties.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 13th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 35,231 Thanks
    tea lover
    (((hbs))) that's not good at all. Is this coming from one person in particular or life in general?

code - not long now! How are you feeling about the move?

Am just about to send off an application form..... fingers crossed
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 13th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 7,304 Posts
    • 16,006 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    I got a very nastily worded, out of order email regarding my work :'(

I am going to speak to someone about it tomorrow.

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 13th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 7,912 Posts
    • 35,231 Thanks
    tea lover
    Good on you for taking it further, there's really no excuse for nastiness. Even when you need to disagree with people at work it can be done politely. I hope that whoever you speak to is helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,846Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter