Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,101Posts
    • 21,526Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 291
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 20th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 23,330 Thanks
    codemonkey
    I am aware of the legal use of diet but beyond that, I can't help you. Scots Law is a peculiar beast.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 7,996 Posts
    • 35,696 Thanks
    tea lover
    Isn't it just?! I like it when I hear a whole new word that I wasn't aware of before
    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 20th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 7,205 Thanks
    geminilady
    That's the downside of winter with Gitdog. Can't walk him where I normally have him on the longer lead to let off steam because it's not lit all the way round. And it's quite busy so walking in pitch black, even with a torch, puts him on hyper alert and in plonker mode which then freaks me out. So he can only have proper walks at the weekend by which time he's a bit manic and not entirely safe to be around strangers.
    Then there's all the issues of strongly pulling dog and frosty slippery pavements. Roll on spring.
    Originally posted by elsien
    So the training has not helped with pulling?just asking because I walk my sons dog and she pulls, thought some training might help.I think you posted your mum looks after him when you are at work but have you thought of doggy daycare? my sons dog goes once a week it costs £15 for the day and as dog walkers can charge £10 an hour think it is very reasonable.It really tires her out playing with the other dogs,they have big fields for them to run about in an indoor play area,couches to rest on and even a paddling pool Macy loved it in the summer.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 20th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 16,895 Posts
    • 25,754 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Reply for Tea

Here's a site to help. Diet relates to the date the court has said a case must be heard.

http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/29/0/Glossary/a#D
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Oct 16, 5:52 PM
    • 27,950 Posts
    • 101,944 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I know I've said this before, but I always found a Halti-lead was brilliant for stopping pulling. They needed a bit of time to get used to it and not try to scratch it off, but once they settled it was brilliant and completely stopped the pulling.

Is anyone else on here really taken with steampunk fashions? I just love it!
    I wanted to get a corset and shrug for a ruby wedding thing I'm going to, to go with a bright red wig I've bought. Unfortunately, the one I wanted won't let me buy it! Probably out of stock.

I doubt I'll find one in time now, but if anyone's into steampunk and knows some good, fast, UK websites, do tell.

I've been through the ones on google. Am looking for red, you see.
    Also wanted a fishtail skirt in red or red/purple, or even red/black, but they're either megabucks, or in the US or China, and won't get here in time.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 27,950 Posts
    • 101,944 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Question for you lovely Scottish people (or people with knowledge of Scotland)....

Are you aware of the term 'diet', in terms of something to do with legal proceedings? It's just appeared in a legal review I'm doing and isn't something I've ever seen before. I'm just off to google it... just wondered if this was a widely known term up there
    Originally posted by tea lover
    I remember this from the limited history I did at school.......
    It was a term used in old ecclesiastical legal terminology, ie the infamous Diet of Worms, which was a 1521 imperial council that was convened to decide the fate of Martin Luther. It was held in Worms, Germany. The Holy Roman Emperor Charles V presided over the diet, which was basically an assembly of relevant people.

QUOTE:diet (n.2)
    "assembly," mid-15c., from Medieval Latin dieta, variant of diaeta "daily office (of the Church), daily duty, assembly, meeting of counselors," from Greek diaita (see diet (n.1)), but associated with Latin dies "day" (see diurnal).UNQUOTE

Probably has a similar meaning in Scottish Legal terminology.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 14,883 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    elsien
    So the training has not helped with pulling?just asking because I walk my sons dog and she pulls, thought some training might help.I think you posted your mum looks after him when you are at work but have you thought of doggy daycare? my sons dog goes once a week it costs £15 for the day and as dog walkers can charge £10 an hour think it is very reasonable.It really tires her out playing with the other dogs,they have big fields for them to run about in an indoor play area,couches to rest on and even a paddling pool Macy loved it in the summer.
    Originally posted by geminilady
    Training has helped a lot - I can now walk him with the harness rather than the headcollar. Unfortunately he is still somewhat lacking in impulse control and can walk well for a while then has the tendency to suddenly take off at speed without prior warning. Which is fine if you can get a good grip, less so when it's icy.
    I'd love to send him to doggy day care but my local one doesn't accept bull breeds in the day care bit. And I do rather suspect he'd be too much for most other dogs if he was free running due to his tendency to do a steamroller impression on unsuspecting doggy heads. And to try to hump the smaller ones, even though he's a nut free zone.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 14,883 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    elsien
    Just in case I missed it, were we aware that today is international sloth day?

Specially for WAS, say hello to Urmel from Edgebaston.

ETA - I love the look of steampunk Pyxis, after I went to a local day out where there was a steampunk event going on. No idea where you'd get it quickly online though - no alternative fashion places near you where you might find something instore?
    Last edited by elsien; 20-10-2016 at 9:01 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 20th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Is anyone else on here really taken with steampunk fashions? I just love it!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Yes! Some of the dress / corset combinations look fantastic.

When I read The difference engine back in 1990 (yes I spent a chunk of my student grant in the science fiction bookshop near the university ) I never imagined it would spawn an entire fashion scene.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 20th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Isn't it just?! I like it when I hear a whole new word that I wasn't aware of before
    You're probably working when it's on, but you might enjoy Word of mouth on Radio 4 then. I finish at four (in theory, anyway) so sometimes hear it when driving home. It's all about aspects of language so there tend to be lots of unusual words.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 20th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 11,503 Posts
    • 48,172 Thanks
    whitewing
    Have you checked amazon for steampunk?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiwi-Rata-Leather-Zipper-Corset-Bustier/dp/B01DF57J5A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1476998428&sr=8-4&keywords=red+steampunk+corset
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 20th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 11,503 Posts
    • 48,172 Thanks
    whitewing
    I'm don't know why I find steampunk on amazon such an amusing idea.

So much more fun to look at kinkyangel.http://www.kinkyangel.co.uk/catalogue/ladies-long-skirts#.WAk4duArKhf

I've only had a quick glance but there is some lovely looking stuff here and it has a special delivery option.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 20th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 18,611 Posts
    • 18,870 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Hello all!

elsien (I think it was) - I think I have your chest infection! Mr JM has been ill all week - but on the lighter side, he is always good value when he's ill, as he gets delirious and has very entertaining delusions. (Hard hearted? Me? When the garden is apparently full of a million pink cats at 2.20 in the morning?)

Seriously, I wish he would get better, poor thing

International sloth day hmmm? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VACbH_S5ZFo
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 21st Oct 16, 5:24 AM
    • 5,101 Posts
    • 21,526 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Still reading along! Thank you for thinking about me, I will be fine. I am working through some stuff from my past right now which chose to metaphorically slap me around the face. It would be a Godzilla of a penguin if I posted it so it is probably best that I don't and it probably isn't appropriate for MSE anyway. I should be back properly soon!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 21st Oct 16, 8:24 AM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    3C and foggy on the way in to work by moonlight this morning. Winter is coming!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 21st Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 14,883 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    elsien
    At the hospital. Machine broken. They'd better get it working since I got up at silly o'clock to get here.

• tea lover
    • By tea lover 21st Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 7,996 Posts
    • 35,696 Thanks
    tea lover
    Last day at work for a week... I am giddy!
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 21st Oct 16, 8:38 AM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 7,065 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Excellent I'm jealous
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 21st Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 3,800 Thanks
    Izadora
    You decided not to cancel your leave then

I'm very jealous and not entirely sure how I'm going to make it through today. I love my mum dearly and hope she has many, many more birthdays, I just hope that for the next one I learn that drinking a bucket of wine on a school night is not a good idea!!
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 21st Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 11,503 Posts
    • 48,172 Thanks
    whitewing
    You need a fry up, Iz.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,587Posts Today

8,550Users online

Martin's Twitter