Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,104Posts
    • 21,565Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 290
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 19th Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    We're thinking of you too WaS.... gentle squishes and happy sloth and skunk thoughts coming your way xx.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 19th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 11,527 Posts
    • 48,271 Thanks
    whitewing
    What are you struggling with, WaS?

We may be able to help.

I am watching GBBO. I am starving.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 19th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 7,728 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I am watching GBBO. I am starving.
    Originally posted by whitewing
    So am I, even though I've eaten already! I want to try almost everything they've made
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 20th Oct 16, 6:53 AM
    • 11,527 Posts
    • 48,271 Thanks
    whitewing
    Hello WaS, hello everyone.

Hope millefleur is okay, WaS, and your current struggle is not to do with her.

Should hopefully be another productive day today. Got lots to do, but they are mostly jobs that can be completed this week, rather than dragging on.

Could do with winning the lottery though.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    Eugh... am really struggling with the dark mornings already, and it's not even that dark yet! It's dark when I get up but pretty light by the time I actually leave the house. Plus I have a great sunlight alarm clock.... so not sure what the problem is?!
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 20th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 4,152 Thanks
    Izadora
    WaS, I hope things are a bit better now, here's a baby skunk for you

Tea, I'm the same. I wonder if that's part of my problem with oversleeping at the moment.

I didn't get to watch GBBO last night as I went to the cinema and I'm trying to avoid finding out who left but, seeing as I won't get to watch it tonight either, I know I'll probably cave in about 5 mins and look it up.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 38,382 Thanks
    elsien
    Ooh, can you recommend your sunlight alarm clock? I've been looking at them on Amazon but some of the reviews say the bulbs don't last very long so if anyone's got a good one that's not going to die quickly and be expensive to replace can you let me know?
    I really struggle with the dark mornings in the winter. I tend to struggle on till January then it all goes pear-shaped.

I have just signed up for a mystery shop - my very first one and I have to record people so I'm worried I'm going to look ridiculously shifty and uncomfortable and get sussed within about 5 minutes.
    Last edited by elsien; 20-10-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    I absolutely love mine (I bang on about it all the time lol....including on here ) It was from aldi and was either £25 or £30 (can't remember which, but definitely no more than £30. I've had it for several years and the bulb hasn't been replaced yet.

It has loads of settings (radio, various different coloured lights, 9 different alarm sounds, clock, different time and brightness options for the light, sleep function for use at night, etc).

Really I should make more use of all the fancy things it does! I use it as a bedside light in the evenings, then the alarm light in the morning (it gradually lights up 15 mins before my main alarm goes off). I don't use of any of the alarm sounds, the different coloured lights or the radio.

There's on the aldi website at the moment for £22.99, it's not exactly the same as mine but I'd certainly give it a go.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 30,371 Posts
    • 111,646 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Ooh, can you recommend your sunlight alarm clock? I've been looking at them on Amazon but some of the reviews say the bulbs don't last very long so if anyone's got a good one that's not going to die quickly and be expensive to replace can you let me know?
    I really struggle with the dark mornings in the winter. I tend to struggle on till January then it all goes pear-shaped.

I have just signed up for a mystery shop - my very first one and I have to record people so I'm worried I'm going to look ridiculously shifty and uncomfortable and get sussed within about 5 minutes.
    Originally posted by elsien
    I've got a sunrise radio/alarm clock. You can also set it to go to sleep as well as to wake up.

I'll get the name in a bit, as I've just sat down after an incredibly busy morning lugging stuff, and don't want to move.

It uses ordinary small round bulbs, and they seem to last a long time.

It wasn't as cheap as the Aldi one.....can't remember the price as it was a few years ago.

Edit....
    It was an Oregon sunrise lamp, but looking online, it says it's currently unavailable.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 20-10-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 20th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 7,728 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Don't forget the clocks change at the end of the month, so the mornings will be lighter again, for a while. I don't like getting up when it's still dark and leaving in the dark as well, I just want to stay in bed
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 30,371 Posts
    • 111,646 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Don't forget the clocks change at the end of the month, so the mornings will be lighter again, for a while. I don't like getting up when it's still dark and leaving in the dark as well, I just want to stay in bed
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    I prefer lighter evening to lighter mornings. I actually prefer waking up very early while it's still dark.
    I went next door to feed the cat at 5.30 this morning, and the sky was perfectly clear.There was Orion, right in front of me, with the moon above. I tried to see some Orionids, but the light from the moon and the street lamp probably scotched that idea.
    It was lovely and quiet and still and peaceful. I really like that.

However, when it's dark early in the evening, I just want to go to bed!

I must start putting on my SAD lamp, as I don't want a repeat of the awful depression I had last winter.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 20th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    codemonkey
    I hate dark mornings. There aren't too many streetlights in the places I normally walk DA dog so we have to make do with shorter, more boring walks up the same path because it's the only lit one, which make me feel so guilty. I hate waking up when it's pitch black (not a morning person at the best of times) and because now I get up earlier than Mr CP, I have to creep around quietly so I don't wake him up and that makes getting ready really difficult.

I do love autumn though with all the pretty colours, festivals, promise of snuggly jumpers and boots and run up to the festive period, although I do think that's starting way to early now - one of the movie channels has switched over to Christmas movies now.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 38,382 Thanks
    elsien
    That's the downside of winter with Gitdog. Can't walk him where I normally have him on the longer lead to let off steam because it's not lit all the way round. And it's quite busy so walking in pitch black, even with a torch, puts him on hyper alert and in plonker mode which then freaks me out. So he can only have proper walks at the weekend by which time he's a bit manic and not entirely safe to be around strangers.
    Then there's all the issues of strongly pulling dog and frosty slippery pavements. Roll on spring.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 20th Oct 16, 2:48 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    codemonkey
    I guess I'm lucky that DA dog can be off lead as he never wanders far from me, and the path gets mega slippy in winter but it's still not ideal and I feel bad about it. Once I'm outside, I really love our walks because he bounces about and looks so happy.

Not sure what the work situation is going to be though, so things might change.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    How are things workwise code?
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 20th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    codemonkey
    Meh. I was feeling very down on Monday cause of the pain and just feeling useless and ended up emailing my old employer to ask for my old job back. Got a kind of unenthusiastic, we'll look into it response, which seems odd as the people I'm still in contact with say that all my colleagues can't believe they didn't make a counter offer. Then had a chat with my current manager on Tuesday about the pain issue which he's been trying so hard to resolve and he seemed pretty keen to keep me here, so now I'm confused again. In any case, the old place haven't gotten back to me.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    Are you enjoying the work at the new place? Hopefully they'll be able to come up with something to sort out the air issues soon.
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 20th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    codemonkey
    I'm not sure. It's more analysis than development and honestly, I'm happier when I can just be left alone to write code. It's still early days and I think unless the old place offer me something good, or something goes horribly wrong here, I'll try to tough it out. It's not like I've ever really liked a job anyway.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    I did think as I asking that I've never enjoyed work! Some of it is just less horrendous that other parts . The new place does sound good in some ways, just really hoping they sort out the air thing for you as they flipping need to get a move on.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 35,716 Thanks
    tea lover
    Question for you lovely Scottish people (or people with knowledge of Scotland)....

Are you aware of the term 'diet', in terms of something to do with legal proceedings? It's just appeared in a legal review I'm doing and isn't something I've ever seen before. I'm just off to google it... just wondered if this was a widely known term up there
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,801Users online

Martin's Twitter