Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 5,025Posts
    • 21,059Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 289
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I don't like plumbing for all the reasons you outline, though I do have a lot of big spanners and a variety of other implements for undoing very stuck things, so am usually successful at getting stuff apart despite being completely not built like Geoff Capes (if you're young you may not know who that is). Putting it back together again is another matter though!

Quite happy with electrics though, electricity doesn't leak out and ruin the carpet
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Quite happy with electrics though, electricity doesn't leak out and ruin the carpet
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    No, but it can make very pretty fireworks!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 13,661 Posts
    • 33,146 Thanks
    elsien
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 9th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 47,355 Thanks
    whitewing
    Yes, WaS, in your situation I would email him. It probably won't make any difference but at least you know you tried, and telling us about it on here may inspire someone else to challenge something that they usually wouldn't so that is a good thing.

elsien, I agree totally about 'dog'.

Haven't read all the posts yet.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Originally posted by elsien
    Please may I borrow that today? Realised at 7.30 that something had gone very, very wrong with the work email and I could only fix it by actually going in to the office as the server is not externally accessible. Took all morning to sort out and I've just got home again.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Please may I borrow that today? Realised at 7.30 that something had gone very, very wrong with the work email and I could only fix it by actually going in to the office as the server is not externally accessible. Took all morning to sort out and I've just got home again.
    Oh Ono! Oh no!

(Unintentional pun, but left it!)
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 9th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 47,355 Thanks
    whitewing
    I want one of these for (C-word)

http://www.hawkin.com/gift-ideas-1/gifts-for-women/galileo-39-s-pendulum
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis
    They're good, aren't they?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 13,661 Posts
    • 33,146 Thanks
    elsien
    I don't know where my weekend went but I'd quite like it back again please.

Everyone Ok?

ETA - someone tell me if I want to go to see the play of "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime?" I can't decide.
    Last edited by elsien; 09-10-2016 at 8:46 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 9th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 8,418 Posts
    • 14,626 Thanks
    calleyw
    that is funny. But it could end badly.

Evening everyone,

Big Hugs and handshakes and squishes all round.

Busy weekend. went out to the cinema last night and saw stork. its a kiddie animation but was very funny. And the person who I went with is a big kid. And the adults laughed more than the kids.

Cooked sunday lunch and managed to wear out a collie dog today. He has a love of plastic bottles and loves to play with them. So a 2L one was tied to string and to a tree and he just would not leave it alone and just been told doggy is flat out on the sofa

The zip has just broken on my only decentish pair of trousers Need to see if I can fix that and the other pair that are broken. Got 6 pairs of jeans of two different sizes and can't fit in to any of them

elsien, feel your pain about washing machines and MOT's. Had my own dramas a few weeks ago.

Slept on my husbands sofa this afternoon for about an hour an half must have needed it.

Hope everyone gets a good nights sleep.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 10th Oct 16, 12:36 AM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 47,355 Thanks
    whitewing
    elsien, I really enjoyed the book, so yes I think it would be very good.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 10th Oct 16, 7:54 AM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 47,355 Thanks
    whitewing
    Good morning. Hope you are okay, WaS.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 10th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 33,840 Thanks
    tea lover
    Morning all - definite wintry feel to the air today. Have a v early start tomorrow so am thinking thermals may be in order!

That was a very short weekend..... very short.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    elsien, the book is really good, so hopefully the play would be as well. I'm quite tempted to make a trip to London to see it.

That was a very short weekend..... very short.
    Originally posted by tea lover
    Busy?

I know I was and spending Sunday morning at work made a complete mess of my weekend plans. Managed to finish all the digging in the garden done that I wanted to but had no time for all the other things and I've had to send my apologies to a meeting tonight so I can stay home and catch up.

So tired last night I was in bed around 9.30.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 10th Oct 16, 9:21 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 33,840 Thanks
    tea lover
    It wasn't even that busy... just seemed to whizz by. Had a lovely lunch out on Saturday, followed by finally getting my hearing tested (apparently it's fine - so it really is just that the whole world is mumbling then!), then an evening with my sister.

Was playing (as in musically ) at church yesterday morning which was nice, haven't done that for a while. Then the usual sunday jobs of ironing etc and an evening on the xbox.

So pretty good overall - but definitely not long enough! Am just debating whether to book a week off shortly.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Am just debating whether to book a week off shortly.
    I do that occasionally, as I never seem able to use up all of my 25 days of annual leave. Don't go anywhere, just spend the time doing "stuff" around the house - DIY, gardening etc. or just watch some of the stuff I've recorded and never got around to catching up on, and take advantage of being able to wake up naturally rather than by the alarm clock.

So, definitely do it!
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 10th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 33,840 Thanks
    tea lover
    Am definitely tempted! The last week off I had was early March (and I spent that decorating). I've had a few days off since then but am really liking the idea of a decent block of time, particularly as the last few months at work have been hectic.

Part of me always thinks I should keep the time in case I need it for something else... but I never do! It's not like I'm suddenly going to need enough annual leave for a round the world cruise or anything.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 10th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 47,355 Thanks
    whitewing
    I booked myself and DH in for a flu jab at Asda - £5 each. Bargain! (Thanks MSE, I saw a post on here when I did a search).
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 10th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    Izadora
    It wasn't even that busy... just seemed to whizz by.
    Snap!! I had a very relaxed weekend but it still flew by.

GBBO penguin I finally managed to get round to baking something from there and made Selasi' lemon and strawberry roulade. It didn't turn out as well as his (I can see why he covered it in cream, I kind of skinned the cake when I took the greaseproof off, but I just piped a little bit on the top for decoration as it would've been a bit rich otherwise) but it tasted really nice and IzHe, who's not normally fussed by cake, even went back for seconds.

Saturday was a lazy morning, followed by a bit of shopping, the above penguin and then out for a little while to watch some fireworks and home early because IzHe was on call and had to work.

Sunday morning we ran round and blitz-cleaned the flat and then I had a lazy wander and lunch with the girls and a quiet night on the sofa catching up with stuff we've had on the planner for months and not got round to. So not the most exciting weekend but really lovely.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 13,661 Posts
    • 33,146 Thanks
    elsien
    Today is World Mental Health day.

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaigns/world-mental-health-day

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,724Posts Today

8,460Users online

Martin's Twitter