Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 4,960Posts
    • 20,781Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 275
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Sep 16, 6:53 PM
    • 19,715 Posts
    • 69,124 Thanks
    Pyxis
    What happened to the Squid?

Was it you Code? Aaaargh! My memory! Who was going to a ball as Squidzilla or whatever she was called?

Sorry! My brain's full of Black IPA,!

Well! I've just been trying some Bucks Fizz flavoured crisps! I was intrigued, so had to buy some! (It's ok, it's a legitimate eating day! Fast day is tomorrow!)

They're weird, though!

Nice textured crisps, cooked with the skins on, with a very, very slight fizz, and a bit of an orange flavour.

Not too sure about the orange, to be honest. It might have been better if it had been a Seville-type orange flavour.
    Not overpowering , though, and with the right food, might be better.
    Otherwise, orange and salt is a weird mixture.

They didn't have my favourite olive-oil crisps, that's why I thought I'd try these!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 22nd Sep 16, 7:08 PM
    • 6,098 Posts
    • 21,722 Thanks
    codemonkey
    Ursula the seawitch. It's not til October but I've been buying bits for a while.

Orange crisps? That doesn't sound like a good idea.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 PM
    • 19,715 Posts
    • 69,124 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Ursula the seawitch. It's not til October but I've been buying bits for a while.

Orange crisps? That doesn't sound like a good idea.
    Originally posted by codemonkey
    It was you! Sorry to call you Squidzilla!

We need a pic (headless) of you in the costume! Deffo!

Want to see it! stamp!

By the time I'd finished the packet, I was warming towards them. Not as a curled up on the sofa snack, but as a nibble at a party or somesuch they'd be good.

Had to laugh, though, when I looked at the ingredients, 'cos they included dried Champagne!
    Dried Champagne!

Ps. Saw the first C-cake in the shop.

On a happier note, I also bought some vodka to stick some of my frozen blackberries into!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 22-09-2016 at 7:44 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • elsien
    • By elsien 22nd Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    • 13,128 Posts
    • 31,614 Thanks
    elsien
    . I'm keen to use this change to break free of the boring clothes rut I was in and be a bit different but it's really difficult to work out who I want to be. Help, office people.
    Originally posted by codemonkey
    I know that feeling - my last job was basically jeans and tshirts.
    I guess as an advocate I could wear what I like, but I tend to do the slightly smarter thing so as to get taken a bit more seriously in meetings. Whilst also trying not to overdo it and make clients think I'm "one of them" (ie doctors and social workers) instead of being on their side.
    Complicated by wanting to get up in the morning and not have to think about what goes with what.
    So I've basically gone with the trouser/blouse look. It's not me and doesn't express anything about my personality (other than the blouses tend towards brighter colours) but I think of it as my work uniform and it's easy to sling on. Anything that requires mixing/matching at 7am isn't happening.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 PM
    • 19,715 Posts
    • 69,124 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I was lucky, sort of, with my second major career, as I was self-employed, but, had the option of a sort of 'uniform' or mufti.

I went for the sort of 'uniform' as it made it much, much easier, as you say, first thing in the morning.

When I stopped work, it was really weird , having to 'decide' what to wear every day! Most of my 'normal' clothes were too nice to slop around the house in.
    That's when I started to haunt the charity shops!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 22nd Sep 16, 8:16 PM
    • 2,052 Posts
    • 4,213 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I'm no help, my office is completely informal, so I don't change when I get home. Not like I have "nice jeans at t-shirt" for the office and "less nice jeans at t-shirt" for home
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Sep 16, 9:12 PM
    • 19,715 Posts
    • 69,124 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Right. Now to watch my recording of Red Dwarf that's on Dave at the moment...............
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Georgiegirl256
    • By Georgiegirl256 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 PM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 18,598 Thanks
    Georgiegirl256
    Right. Now to watch my recording of Red Dwarf that's on Dave at the moment...............
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Is that the new series or just a re-run? I love Red Dwarf

Talking of weird crisps, we've been having the new Walkers sandwich flavour ones....hmm, some are nice, and some are just beyond gross. The one with cucumber and salad cream are actually nice,and I don't even like cucumber. The ham and mustard and sausage and brown sauce ones are just fit for the bin.

The new fivers, apparently if you get one with the serial number beginning with AA001 - or something like that - are going for about £200 on eBay!
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 22nd Sep 16, 11:38 PM
    • 11,103 Posts
    • 46,868 Thanks
    whitewing
    I am having a slightly bad time with my Environmentally unstable personality disorder today (as renamed by one of the online newspapers!) I didn't link in the story out of respect for the family as the news article itself is of a very sad situation and it is a mistype.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 23rd Sep 16, 4:59 AM
    • 19,715 Posts
    • 69,124 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Is that the new series or just a re-run? I love Red Dwarf
    Originally posted by Georgiegirl256
    The new series - XI.

It was funny!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 23rd Sep 16, 6:14 AM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 20,781 Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Environmental what now, whitewing? I burst out laughing, that is an interesting typo. I hope you feel better soon.

I love Red Dwarf! I have every series on DVD and it is something I can safely watch!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 23rd Sep 16, 6:23 AM
    • 19,715 Posts
    • 69,124 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Hmm, environmentally unstable personality.

Could refer to people who chuck rubbish out of car windows!

Or people who leave the tap running while they clean their teeth?

Or people who use the car to drive to a shop 300yards away!

Oh no! I know what it is! It's people who open the windows when the central heating is on!

EU PD. Put like that, it looks like it's a symptom of an international trading agreement!

By the way, when I popped next door earlier to feed the cat, the sky was beautifully clear, with a lovely waning half moon, and next to it, a bright Orion right outside my front door, complete with belt and sword. It was lovely and still, too.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 23-09-2016 at 6:30 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Georgiegirl256
    • By Georgiegirl256 23rd Sep 16, 9:21 AM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 18,598 Thanks
    Georgiegirl256
    The new series - XI.

It was funny!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I dint even realise it had started yet, I need to catch up and watch it! I saw it advertised on one of D's mags, and also on tv, but thought it was coming soon.

Our new shed is coming today at long last! Now, what colour to paint it?!
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 23rd Sep 16, 9:43 AM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 32,892 Thanks
    tea lover
    I'm genuinely counting the hours till I get home and watch last night's Red Dwarf

I was truly obsessed when I was a teenager (in the fanclub, signed photos from all the cast, a huge number of t shirts and other stuff) I've met Chris Barrie twice - once I was about 15 and very over-excited, the last time I was 35 and still over-excited .
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 23rd Sep 16, 10:00 AM
    • 17,964 Posts
    • 17,976 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    OK, so this thread has generated a slight disagreement in this household (now resolved).

me - OMG Red Dwarf! You did record it, didn't you? Remember I looked it up and told you it started on 22nd?

him - no.........

etc. Anyway, as a result I can now tell you all that the repeat it 11.30 tonight No spoilers please! (Or it is on catchup but I can't remember the name of the catchup, something to do with Play)

As to work clothes.... A few years ago I got a casual job over Christmas with Parker Pens. They required you to wear black and white, so I bought some black trousers - something I hadn't bought before. I bought a very cheap pair in Primark and they have been SOOOOOO useful ever since! Black trousers with a black cardigan and any colour t shirt looks fairly formal and really isn't, and with a white top will see you through almost anything. I don't use them as a regular work thing, but resort to them sometimes when I get stuck in the winter. If I had to dress more formally for work, this would definitely be my 'go to' basic!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting the Trussell Trust. Visit our donations page at justgiving, and search for jobbingmusician!
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 23rd Sep 16, 10:13 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Izadora
    Code - wear the cape for your new job

I don't know whether you prefer trousers, skirts or dresses for work but I pretty much always wear a dress as it saves the "does this go with that" choosing of a morning.

Something like this http://www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/dresses-5699972/skater-dresses-4888369/navy-lace-collar-dress-5808575?bi=20&ps=20 is pretty much what I wear for work all the time.

When I used to wear trousers for work I used to find Dorothy Perkins were pretty good for them too and they have a reasonable tall range (I was forever finding trousers I liked and then realising that I'd need stilts to be able to wear them)

Also, Next are very good for work clothes and their half-price sale starts tomorrow so you might be able to pick up some bargains.

Georgie - I like blue or sea-green sheds but it would probably depend on what else you've got in your garden as to whether that would work.
    • Georgiegirl256
    • By Georgiegirl256 23rd Sep 16, 10:31 AM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 18,598 Thanks
    Georgiegirl256
    I was thinking that sort of colour Iz, as that is what the gate is....can't help but want to paint it pink for some reason though!

Workwise, with only ever having worked in either retail (uniform) or repairing bikes (cargo pants, polo shirts or whatever you didn't mind getting dirty), I'm not really best placed to give advice, but when I did work experience in offices, I always wore a trouser suit and different coloured blouses underneath.

Seems like I haven't missed too much of Red Dwarf at all then, will be catching up on Saturday.

That's a cooler fan club to be in than the one I was in tea....I was in the Paul Young fan club....no, I don't know why either lol!
    Last edited by Georgiegirl256; 23-09-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 23rd Sep 16, 10:50 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Izadora
    A pink shed would certainly be different. You could always try it an paint over it if you don't like it.

I can't believe that I'm going to admit to this but I think the fan club I belonged to is actually worse than either of those - Shakin' Stevens!!
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 23rd Sep 16, 11:14 AM
    • 6,098 Posts
    • 21,722 Thanks
    codemonkey
    Jason Donovan for me. I am so cool

Paint it pink Georgie. I love when people paint things in different colours. I'd love a pink shed but Mr CP is quite conventional and he said no so it's just boring brown.

I wasn't sure about watching Red Dwarf this time. I love Red Dwarf but those last episodes they did were horrendous. I don't want to spoil my enjoyment of the old stuff.

I like DP stuff but they've stopped selling the tall range in store here. I have managed to get some tall trousers but it was following a fruitless wander around two shopping centres and not one shop had a single pair of long length trousers. I managed to find some in M&S eventually. Iz, that dress is lovely but would be way too small for me. I have a couple of dresses, a couple of trousers a couple of skirts and some shirts but not many tops. It'll have to do me until I have more money.

I need to go into old work today to return a couple of bits I forgot on my last day. It's also supposed to be leaving drinks for me but I don't think anyone is going to come.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 23rd Sep 16, 11:17 AM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 32,892 Thanks
    tea lover
    I saw Jason Donovan earlier this year and he was awesome!

I was also in the My Little Pony fan club... I truly have never been one of the cool kids
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,949Posts Today

6,937Users online

Martin's Twitter