Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Waves and Smiles
    • By Waves and Smiles 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    • 4,960Posts
    • 20,782Thanks
    Waves and Smiles
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3
    • 17th Mar 16, 5:23 PM
    Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3 17th Mar 16 at 5:23 PM
    This thread is a continuation of The Mental Health thread “Here we can all be heard for a little while Part 2”. The previous thread can be found here-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320917&page=501

I started the original thread when I was lonely and suffering with mental health issues and was lucky to find a wonderful group of amazing new friends who now mean the world to me. My name was Worried and Scared back then but with the help of everyone here I became Waves and Smiles. This thread is no longer just about me, it is about all of us and for anyone who needs mental health support, their carers and anyone who is interested in learning more. Sometimes we speak seriously, sometimes we offer gentle advice and a lot of the time we laugh together. Sometimes I write mini-novels about my experiences of living with complex mental illness. What is important is everyone here is there for each other. New posters are welcome to join in, or just lurk (we call them humming birds because they hover!) if they would prefer. This is a place without judgement or pressure, and a safe place for everyone. We try to keep abbreviations to a minimum but if there are some that you do not understand please ask.

Sir Pugliet is our Good Mental Health pug! You may notice that he is mentioned from time to time, he is a little cuddly pug toy that was sent to me by a friend on the thread. He is something of a celebrity now!

Hugs and warm handshakes, or finger squishes, whichever you prefer.

Also, please take a look at the following links which offer great advice written by the lovely people at MSE!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/03/martin-lewis-launches-new-money--mental-health-policy-institute

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/05/16/the-money-and-mental-health-policy-institute-whatll-it-really-do

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
    Last edited by Waves and Smiles; 17-05-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
Page 274
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 21st Sep 16, 6:14 PM
    • 17,964 Posts
    • 17,976 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    faerie, you are really talented! I wish I could do a face like that!

Work really stressy atm - I need a holiday! Going away at the weekend though to play music hurrah!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting the Trussell Trust. Visit our donations page at justgiving, and search for jobbingmusician!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Sep 16, 6:30 PM
    • 19,723 Posts
    • 69,149 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Going away at the weekend though to play music hurrah!
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    That'll make a nice change, JM!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • elsien
    • By elsien 21st Sep 16, 7:00 PM
    • 13,134 Posts
    • 31,631 Thanks
    elsien
    Wish I could do those, faerie. I used to do calligraphy and the writing wasn't too bad but I was terrible on the backgrounds. They never turned out on paper as they were in my head - I strongly suspect colouring would be the same, then I just get cross with myself and irritable with anyone who comes near me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 21st Sep 16, 8:52 PM
    • 13,134 Posts
    • 31,631 Thanks
    elsien
    Bake off. Someone forgot to turn the oven on. That is so the type of thing that I would do.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Sep 16, 8:59 PM
    • 19,723 Posts
    • 69,149 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Bake off. Someone forgot to turn the oven on. That is so the type of thing that I would do.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha!

(Not you, Elsien, the contestant! )

Didn't he/she notice it wasn't hot when they put the cake in it?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 21st Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    faerielight
    really? thanks so much Jobbing and Elsien Calligraphy is so beautiful I have always had terrible handwriting!
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 21st Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    • 2,052 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Originally posted by elsien
    And me

Italian this evening. I had done all the homework, unfortunately when it came to the "write three sentences using the specified tenses", I neglected the remainder of the instruction, which was "which reference the articles (that we had translated for the first part of the homework)" and just wrote three random sentences for each tense with no context. Oops.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 22nd Sep 16, 12:41 AM
    • 6,098 Posts
    • 21,722 Thanks
    codemonkey
    Argh . Back from holiday. Already suffering from holiday sads and holiday poors. Also had to buy new clothes for work because I dress like a student and because I'm so tall, I couldn't just charity shop the trousers - I couldn't even find long length trousers in any of the budget shops. Left the dog with the in-laws and they took him to the vet because he was sick once (I get they were doing us a favour looking after him but I wish they'd have called to ask because all they needed to do was give him boiled chicken and rice and an indigestion pill that I'd given them already) so we have a massive vet bill to take care of (somehow they managed to end up with special food?!) and now the bleeding boiler won't pressurise which means I need to get a repairman out, especially as the shower runs off the mains. I'm going to get mega skinny this month as I can't bleeding afford to eat.

And breathe.

As for the colouring I can't get on board with it really. I have rubbish motor skills and never manage to stay within the lines. When we did art at school, I always preferred sculpting with clay. My handwriting is appalling too. I love calligraphy and got a fountain pen for my birthday one year but I'm a leftie and it's almost impossible to use proper ink without smudging it everywhere.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 22nd Sep 16, 7:26 AM
    • 11,103 Posts
    • 46,868 Thanks
    whitewing
    Hello code, hi everyone.

For those with sufficient 'spare' money, this seems like a lovely idea

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/people-doing-something-amazing-new-8883019
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 22nd Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 32,893 Thanks
    tea lover
    *stomps off to corner of fort*

Ok, you've been warned, don't come too close.... am sooooo fed up with work, and muppets at work, and stupid amount of time travelling to work, and world's most annoying boss..... am likely to throw things today.

How do you get a job you don't hate? What am I doing wrong?!
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 22nd Sep 16, 9:36 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Izadora
    Tea - I might come and join you in the corner, at a sufficient distance of course .

I ended up calling in sick yesterday because, due to having a period from hell this month, I felt like rubbish and was also worried that I couldn't be trusted to be near people. I'm feeling a bit better today but it's still a very close call between whether I'm more likely to scream at someone or burst into tears first...
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 22nd Sep 16, 9:40 AM
    • 2,052 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    So, not a good moment to ask how your boobs are today then? . Feel free to throw things at me, as long as it's chocolate or cuddly toys

Regarding the travel time, what I did following a redesign of a roundabout that I was passing through - thank, Highways Agency - increasing the time spent queuing there from 2 minutes to 30 minutes or more, was to change my hours to avoid the worst of the rush hour and make an alternate route viable. Technically to 8-4 instead of 9-5, but in practice I'm in the office before 7.30 every day and actually leaving at 4 rarely happens. We are a very small company and it does mean there's someone here earlier in case queries come in from overseas clients, plus a co-worker often starts at 11 and works to 7 so between the half dozen of us we've got someone in the office for almost 12 hours a day.

Can't advise on finding the right job, I've had the same one since university (though for how much longer who knows with the future of the company being uncertain, and I'm massively stressing about that to the point of waking up suddenly at night in a panic then not being able to sleep again).
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 22nd Sep 16, 9:50 AM
    • 7,344 Posts
    • 32,893 Thanks
    tea lover
    They're a bit better today thanks ono! . The travel issues sound very similar (v large roundabout redesign, works supposed to take 3 years, at least 18 months over schedule). What should be a 25 min journey can easily take an hour each way.

What's the latest with the company takeover, is it all still on hold?

I think my main problem is that somehow I'm fast-approaching 40 and can only do one job, and I have no interest in that! I have no enthusiasm for the company overall - in fact, the longer I'm here the more I think they treat people very badly. Just not feeling the love today .... not helped by the micro-manager from hell, who manages to be a gigantic PITA even from the other end of the country.

Iz - am with you there! I really could have cried yesterday when I was speaking to my boss.

I think we all need a day in the fort with some giant cookies and big cushions.
    • Georgiegirl256
    • By Georgiegirl256 22nd Sep 16, 10:04 AM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 18,605 Thanks
    Georgiegirl256
    Welcome back code! Sorry to hear you're suffering from the holiday blues and sorry to hear poor DA dog has been poorly too, and the resulting vet bill (You should make the inlaws pay for that food!), and the boiler and trousers. Just what you wanted to come home to....

I always loved sculpting with clay, just the other day, I was thinking of doing an evening class actually....everyone would be getting wonky mugs and vases lol! My writing is terrible too, is blame that on being a leftie as well, and for the same reason, me and fountain pens just do not get on.

Nice idea WW I still haven't had one of the new fivers yet.

*sends cookies and chocolate to tea and Izzy*

Off out on my bike again today whilst it's nice, and also trying to fit in as many as possibly before my uncle goes and gets his other knee done on the 1st Nov.
    • Solarjunkie
    • By Solarjunkie 22nd Sep 16, 10:15 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    Solarjunkie
    Left handed calligraphy -
    http://www.iampeth.com/lesson/left-handed/calligraphy-and-left-handed-scribe
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 22nd Sep 16, 10:20 AM
    • 2,052 Posts
    • 4,219 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    What's the latest with the company takeover, is it all still on hold?
    Originally posted by tea lover
    Yes, or more "no idea what's going on!" Yesterday some overseas people came over and made an offer, the details of which I don't know. Apparently an American person is coming to talk to the owner later this month as well, so while we've been told to wait with our plans other negotiations are still happening. Hence me being massively stressed about the whole thing.

And as for only being able to do one job, completely understand that. I'm very much aware that my skills while absolutely right for what I'm doing are very much niche / "old school" nowadays and consequently worried about what will happen if I find myself on the job market for the first time since university.

edit - the "feeling of impending doom" has been talked about here quite a bit. That's me all the time at the moment.
    Last edited by onomatopoeia99; 22-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 19,723 Posts
    • 69,149 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Re. the fivers, I heard that they've only been issued to the major cities like London, Manchester, Brum etc., so it might be a while until they filter through to the towns.

I like WW's link to the "give your first new fiver to charity" thing!

Although I was hoping to keep mine as a souvenir! Hopefully, I'll get two at once!

Well! I've just learned the difference between sautèing and fricassèeing! (Excuse the Franglais!) (and the grave instead of acute accents,which latter are disgusting swearings according to the swear filter on here! )
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 22nd Sep 16, 12:14 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    Izadora
    IzHe got one of the new fivers the other day, they're really weird and don't feel at all like real money. I do like the idea of giving it to charity though.

What is the difference between the two? If I had the slightest idea what was involved in fricasseeing I'd probably have more chance of working it out...
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Sep 16, 4:48 PM
    • 19,723 Posts
    • 69,149 Thanks
    Pyxis
    IzHe got one of the new fivers the other day, they're really weird and don't feel at all like real money. I do like the idea of giving it to charity though.

What is the difference between the two? If I had the slightest idea what was involved in fricasseeing I'd probably have more chance of working it
    Originally posted by Izadora

Found this quote......
    Julia Child in Mastering the Art of French Cooking describes it as "halfway between a sautè and a stew" in that a sautè has no liquid added, while a stew includes liquid from the beginning. In a fricassee, cut-up meat is first sauteed (but not browned), then liquid is added and it is simmered to finish cooking."

It made me realise that some of my stir-fries are sautès, while others are really fricassèes, because I might add a bit of liquid to get a sauce effect!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • codemonkey
    • By codemonkey 22nd Sep 16, 6:03 PM
    • 6,098 Posts
    • 21,722 Thanks
    codemonkey
    I haven't seen a new fiver yet. In fact, I don't think I've had a five pound note in ages.

In happy news - the boiler decided to pressurise overnight so no need to call someone just yet. Also I ordered a cape for my costume as I will be wearing it in October. It arrived today and I want to wear it always. I can swish it, I can loop it round my arm and pretend I'm a vampire, I can wrap myself in it, I can put the hood up and be mysterious. Mr CP thinks I'm nuts.

On the other side of the coin is work wear. I start my new job next week and I go from an office where I pretty much live in jeans and wrestling t-shirts to a smarter one so I've had to buy all new clothes. My old workplace was so causal I have no idea what people wear to work. I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe. I'm keen to use this change to break free of the boring clothes rut I was in and be a bit different but it's really difficult to work out who I want to be. Help, office people.
    Last edited by codemonkey; 22-09-2016 at 6:14 PM.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

3,842Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin