Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 16th Mar 16, 6:31 PM
    • 6,073Posts
    • 19,381Thanks
    Gigervamp
    I'm Still Alive!
    • 16th Mar 16, 6:31 PM
    I'm Still Alive! 16th Mar 16 at 6:31 PM
    Ok, so here it is, my daily thread.

I have terminal cervical cancer which has left me very weak amongst other things, so I'm pretty much housebound and sofabound.

I only get to go out when my husband is home and as he works all week, and my sons are also at work and college, I'm on my own for a lot of the time.

Luckily, I don't mind my own company, I've always been a bit of an introvert, but I do like some social interaction, so I'm so glad the internet was invented!

I'm surrounded by cats though. We have 6, but they're not very good company, only Pixel talks to me. He also feels it necessary to accompany me every time I go to the loo, even if he's been in a different room, as soon as he hears me get up, there he is at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me!

Sometimes he's not quick enough and when I come out of the loo, he's sitting right by the door, bless him! Love him to bits!

Anyway, I'll try to post on here at least once a day.
Page 44
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis
    So, yesterday was a horrible day. We had to have one of our cats, Nibbler, put to sleep.

He'd been off his food for a couple of days, so took him to the vets on Wednesday. He was dehydrated and the vet said one of his kidneys was large, so they kept him overnight to run tests and scanned him yesterday.

The scan showed he had a large tumour on his kidney and there was nothing they could do. He was in pain, despite having morphine.

We went and said our goodbyes, and hubby stayed with him until the end. He went to sleep having his cheeks rubbed.

He was 10 years old and had had a good life. He was such a character too. I'll tell you some of his antics another time, too raw right now.

Going to miss him making us laugh. RIP Nibs. x
    Originally posted by Gigervamp

(((((((((((((Jools)))))))))))))))
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 9,503 Posts
    • 21,144 Thanks
    suki1964
    Awww Jools, I'm so sorry to hear that.

Having to put a much loved pet to sleep is so hard. You know you have done the right and kindest thing, yet it feels so terrible

(((((((Hugs)))))))

I had to have a hen put to sleep two weeks ago. Some would say it's just a hen, but I cried in the vets all the same. She was egg bound. I done my best for her,giving her hot water baths and massage and oil enemas, but she just couldn't pass it. I couldn't see an animal suffer so I let her go
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 16th Oct 16, 5:52 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    The Last Username
    Hello everybodies.

We all know what TGIF is, right?
    Well I've had such a busy weekend I'm on Thank God It's Monday!

My better half has been well & truly spoiled; many of the family & friends have visited; there has been great feasting and - in a nutshell - a great time has been had by all.
    Well, perhaps one minor exception being the thorough drenching upon a visit to see (ptooie) the "C" word decorations at the garden centre this morning.
    Still, we're all well dried out now .................. and the new plants from said garden centre have no doubt benefited from the watering.

My best wishes to you all.
    R
    x
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    The internet can be a dangerous place. Be alert.
    There is an international shortage of lerts.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 9,503 Posts
    • 21,144 Thanks
    suki1964
    Hi Jools , how's it going?

Weather here is carp, torrential rain and gale force winds, I'm thinking of trading the hens in for ducks it's that bad

Still we have been having some fun. Got a new ancient car just for me a beetle in bright orange, I call it Jaffa

Tried to convince DH I needed fluffy dice and a furry steering wheel cover, he wouldn't bight BUT I've a bunch of flowers in the dash vase from our wedding bouquet. I'm looking for a great big sunflower but in the meantime they will do

Oh and I've a bagpuss on the boot shelf lol

There's a wee programme on tonight on BbcNi which should be on Iplayer - shaping the coast. It's where I live. It's so beautiful it's bound to bring a wee smile to your face

Take care xx
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ineed
    • By ineed 17th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 12,120 Thanks
    ineed
    I'm so sorry to hear about Nibbler Jools , big hugs to you. X
    I SUPPORT CAT RESCUE! Visit Cat Chat to support cat rescue too.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind. ~Malayan Proverb
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much ~ Oscar Wilde
    No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness ~ Aristotle
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 22nd Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    The Last Username
    It's weekend!

I trust that everyone is making the most of the shopping time that is left until Ch ... Xm .... that festive time at the end of the year?

It's been a (mostly) sunny day here on the Lincs coast, albeit with a definite "nip" in the air.
    So I have made the most of the opportunity to prepare for colder times ahead, with cloches placed over delicate 'ickle plants and general "tidying-up" being done.

Suki, I'm loving the thought of Jaffa.
    Were you just lucky?
    Because I thought these were "collectors item"-type cars now, like the original Mini that my OH is hankering after.
    Meaning that prices are (frankly) a bit silly.

Anyway, I hope you all are well and enjoying the change of the seasons?
    R
    x
    Spike Milligan
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Nov 16, 3:53 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    edwink
    Hello everybody peeps

Been quiet on here so thought I'd best ask how everyone is!

Jools if you are too poorly to post, no worries just read the posts when you are feeling up to it if you are able too. We know you are going through your treatment at the moment so that can not be at all easy for you.

What is everyone up too? How about our decorating fanatic? Still decorating I presume? Ha Ha Ha.

All girls here doing well considering the weather is getting colder. Fingers crossed they are ok through the real cold months. Some of the rescue girls just stand there huddled up cos they hate the cold. If they are like that for a while I often bring them in to the kitchen for a warm by the stove. Spoilt hens? no not really!!!

Chat soon all

Edwink x
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 7th Nov 16, 5:12 PM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 19,381 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Hi Edwink and others.

I'm doing ok. Half way through my chemo now. Got a scan next week to see how things are, though won't get the results until a couple of weeks later. If the chemo is working, it will carry on (another 3 months), if it isn't, then other options/chemo drugs will be explored, so I just hope it is working.

Edwink, our boy chook keeps escaping from the pen. He flies onto the roof of the coop, then over the fencing. Trouble is, he can't get back, silly boy.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Nov 16, 5:16 PM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Oh I went down with yet another chest infection.

Which set the asthma off.

Then I had a weekend away in Yorkshire.

Then the cough dragged on.
    And on.

And on.

Cough splutter.

Still, not as bad as Jools.

Hope you are ok, Jools.

So, what's happening next Sunday?
    Poldark season finished.
    Tutankhamun drama finished.

There's a new Stephen Poliakoff drama starting on Thursday, BBC2 9pm, "Close to the Enemy".
    His dramas are always first class.

Does anyone remember "Shooting the Past"? That was brilliant!
    Can't believe it was 1999!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Nov 16, 6:03 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi Edwink and others.

Edwink, our boy chook keeps escaping from the pen. He flies onto the roof of the coop, then over the fencing. Trouble is, he can't get back, silly boy.
    Finger and toes crossed Jools that the chemo is working for you. Bless you!

Not sure what to suggest with your chook except getting someone to put a wire roof or something on the coop. Naughty boy he is. He is meant to be looking after his girls isn't he? not escaping. How many girls have you got now Jools? How is your egg situation now the weather is getting colder?.

Our girls are currently growing their new feathers for the winter and not looking half as bald as they were when fully moulting. It is lovely watching the robins etc. fly down and help themselves to the odd tiny feather to help build their nests with. I think nature is so lovely at times. Not always though because this summer the Kites took over a huge nest that the crows built. There was a full scale battle going on in the sky above our garden for several days this summer. The nest is in a neighbours garden 2 doors down in their Beech tree. Although I am hard of hearing I could still hear the constant squawking going on at the time. The poor crows had to move out and leave their nest behind. We liked the crows so near because if there was a fox near by the Crows would go mad and start Squawking for England and we took that as a warning and kept an extra eye out at the very top of our garden because of our girls and boys out there. We have high fencing all the way around the boundaries so all in all we have done all we can to make sure the girls and boys stay safe.

Glad you are feeling better Pyxis. I missed you!

Where's that person with the paint brush???????

Edwink x
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 7th Nov 16, 6:39 PM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 19,381 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    We've only got 4 girls now and no eggs for a while. They're all getting a bit old now.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Nov 16, 8:09 PM
    • 9,503 Posts
    • 21,144 Thanks
    suki1964
    Hi Edwink and others.

I'm doing ok. Half way through my chemo now. Got a scan next week to see how things are, though won't get the results until a couple of weeks later. If the chemo is working, it will carry on (another 3 months), if it isn't, then other options/chemo drugs will be explored, so I just hope it is working.

Let's all send healing thoughts that this lot of chemo is working

If not I hope you know you have us rooting for you to get through other treatment they send your way

I let my darling boy go this morning. It was at the vets but we cuddled up on the floor and I held him to the end

It's been weird because I've known for weeks he was on borrowed time and I felt I was ready

Yet tonight I can hear him, I even heard the door bang and saw it move cos I was on the loo ......

I know it's not true, I know it's all in my heart

We are sat here watching Foster and Allen. Pure diddly de music and just enjoying not having to think, care , or worry
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Nov 16, 8:14 PM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis

I heard my dog a few times after she died, too. Strange.
    Not real, I know, but comforting in a sad sort of way.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 7th Nov 16, 8:27 PM
    • 6,073 Posts
    • 19,381 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Sorry to hear that Suki, sending hugs. x
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 7th Nov 16, 8:55 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    The Last Username

Where's that person with the paint brush???????

Edwink x
    Originally posted by edwink
    I'm here!

Good eveninks everypeeps, long time no see.
    Jools, best wishes for that scan and the continuing chemo. And may your chook soon learn how to manage return flights.
    Suki .........
    Pyxis, I've seen you on other threads re: chestiness etc. - try that drink from the other thread, maybe?
    Let me know if you survive liked it?

That "person with the paintbrush" as Edwink calls me has been busy - not with decorating though, oh no.
    THAT is all done for this year.

My new super-dooper computer went a little loopy.
    Or rather the superfast whizz-bang solid state hard drive (5 year guarantee) decided it had had enough, and it took a few weeks for the replacement to arrive.
    It's the time ............ a day (as near as) to re-install and set up how I like it, you know?
    So twice; once with the "spare" hard disk and again when the new disk came. Plus taking bits in/ out shake it all about .....
    All for a computer that's no bigger than 4 CD cases sat on top of each other.
    All done now, thankfully.

Then my phone.
    I used to LOVE Windows phones.
    The integration with my PC and ease of use ........ suited me.
    But my latest, only just over a year old, has always been - well, a little challenging shall I say.
    Apps working/ not working/ working again randomly, messages etc. disappearing/ not sending, ah you get the idea.
    Now when my messages weren't getting through to my better half on a regular basis, I decided enough was enough.
    So after dithering for months I bought myself a new Motorola.
    Another day setting it up & getting used to it, learning how to use it etc.

THEN (yes, sorry folks! There's more.) I decided to buy myself a tablet.
    10" Android to kinda complement the phone, if you can "get" that; well it was a price I couldn't refuse - but another day, charging & setting-up etc.

Then theres Chr .......... Xm ........ THAT festive time, too.
    Well, I'm ready!
    Prezzies bought and even wrapped ................ mostly.
    So I started sampling the goodies, too.
    I found Aldi's special Xmas pies are YUM.
    Though not as good as our baker's BUT half the price.
    As are Aldi's mini stollen, yum that is.
    I'm currently debating road-testing Xmas puds!

That's enough from me or I'll use a full page!
    My thoughts are with you all.
    Take care, & my best wishes.
    R
    x
    Last edited by The Last Username; 07-11-2016 at 8:57 PM.
    Spike Milligan
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 9th Nov 16, 6:32 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    The Last Username
    Hello!

Yes yes yes, I know I only writted wrote a tome t'other day but ......... well ..... I thought maybe you would like to know why I/we buy our Chrimble prezzies so early.
    Simple really.
    It's called Murphy's law.

So you read about my dodgy old phone above, yeah?
    NOW it's our oven - I replaced the element already but now the fan's gone kaput.
    Now these things usually come in threes - so do I count my computer as the first of three OR the last of the old three?
    Making the phone the first ............. or was the phone the last of another three?
    Oh, my head hurts.

Anyways, it looks like tomorrow will be "head in oven" time for me.

Stay well and safe, folks.
    R
    x
    Spike Milligan
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Nov 16, 6:45 PM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Last Username, yes I do intend to try it, when I feel up to shopping, as I don't have a lot of the ingredients!

So you reckon it's a kill or cure toddy, do you?,
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • edwink
    • By edwink 9th Nov 16, 6:47 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    edwink
    Anyways, it looks like tomorrow will be "head in oven" time for me. R x
    Originally posted by The Last Username
    Couldn't stop giggling at your post The Last Username. It has made my evening and my tummy now hurts from giggling so much.

You really are so comical just like Pyxis.

Edwink x
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Nov 16, 7:06 PM
    • 21,463 Posts
    • 75,333 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Couldn't stop giggling at your post The Last Username. It has made my evening and my tummy now hurts from giggling so much.

You really are so comical just like Pyxis.

Edwink x
    Originally posted by edwink
    Comical? Moi?
    What am I - a clown? A buffoon?

I'll have you know I am the epitome of sobriety and gravitas!

(Oh bog! There's no gravitas emoticon).

Last edited by Pyxis; 09-11-2016 at 7:28 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Nov 16, 6:46 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    edwink
    Is it just me or is anyone else worried about The Last Username. They mentioned something on the lines of their head and an oven.
    Hee! Hee! Hee! They might be so much safer with a paint brush me thinks.

What dreadful weather we have had here today. Blustery or what??. My poor ickle feathered friends got soaked and at bed time they just shot in to bed. Normally we have one or two that want to stay out just a little longer but today was totally different. Bless them!!

Anyway hope everyone is ok and keeping nice and warm at home.

Chat soon

Edwink x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

8,546Users online

Martin's Twitter