Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,860Posts
    • 14,812Thanks
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 41
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Hey Speky!

Just checking in. Glad all is going well with you. Sorry to hear about the not getting the job offer but once one door closes, another opens!

We had little snow here but we weren't snowed in.. more of a sprinkle!
    Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Hi Speky,

I've been off and on lurking on your thread. Good luck with all that you do.

With regards to job opportunities away from your family, I would say: go for it. You can always come back, and (usually) with the additional work experience you have a better opportunity in your hometown.

Next time you have a job interview far away, could you ask if they can reimburse travelling costs? Some future employers do; maybe you can even check with the one you went to, still?
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    Hi Siebrie

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello.

It's worth considering as it was a full tank And something I'd much rather not pay out. My only concern would be that it may put off a potential employer? That being said, I'm new to all this so it may well be commonplace.

Thanks for the advice and given that I may well leave in the future, it's something I'll for sure mention!

Hey Speky!

Just checking in. Glad all is going well with you. Sorry to hear about the not getting the job offer but once one door closes, another opens!

We had little snow here but we weren't snowed in.. more of a sprinkle!
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    Chandelier Good to see you and thanks for the message. You're lucky. It's really became a pain in the bum now, and I'm someone who loves the snow. Or used to at least.

On the job front, I had a meeting with my boss today and there's been some movement on my potential job title change and subsequent increase in pay. It's been passed up the chain, and knowing this place, it'll take it's while to reach the decision maker. Anyway, it's progress .
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 6th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 8,401 Thanks
    Back to the expenses. Well, you're not going to work for that company so it doesn't massively matter if they say 'no' and to be fair you did have two interviews which cost you time and money, so I'd definitely say it's worth going back to your contact there - HR or an agency ideally as it's slightly one step removed - and asking if they will reimburse your expenses. Send a polite email. What's the worst that can happen - they politely say no and you're still up on experience but down on fuel costs.

OH did a lot of job interviews about 18 months ago and most of them did reimburse, but mostly only if we asked. Incidentally, the organisation he now works for did three interviews - sent him train tickets for the first two and sent him the claim form in advance for the last one. Shows a classy organisation that values people.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Ahh, very interesting. I wasn't aware it was something so commonly done, thanks Joey
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 7th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 18,043 Thanks
    Maybe I was not clear, but our company does reimbursements, too, no problem
    Wombling to wealth 2018 Ä 401,79 = £ 344.17
    Still a womble 2017 #25 Ä 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 Ä 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 8th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Thanks Siebrie, that's helpful to know and I'll look into it today. I was brought to the table through a recruitment agency, so I'll say to him.

Football was cancelled yesterday, saving me £3.50. This will be spent on an impromptu work team building game of football on Friday (tomorrow). Furthermore, there are drinks afterwards which means I'll need to get the train, so costs which I hadn't budgeted for.

Also, i need new football boots. The plastic undersole has cracked, and will only get worse if I continue playing on them and potentially injure myself. I'll need to buy a new pair. Another cost I hadn't fully budgeted for.

Date night with my gran tonight which will be lovely. Not sure what she's making but I know it'll be lovely, it always is. I'll be home for 9ish and soon in bed I recon.

For the first time, in what seems a long time, it was sunny this morning when I went to the gym. Winter finally feels to be behind us. I welcome the warmer climate now!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Morning all,

I had a nice weekend, which was relatively cheap. On Saturday, my only spend came from getting my weekly food shop. This included flowers, wine and a card for Mother's Day. Also, they had a special on my favourite beer, Bud at £9, so I bought that for emergencies. I'll thank myself later. So my bill came to £50 odd.

I was working on Sunday which was followed by going out for dinner with my mum and gran. It was really my mums gift to my gran, so I didn't have to pay which I felt a bit guilty about. A really nice night though.

I have a quiet week ahead. My only plans are on Saturday when I am working, but beforehand I've the dentist first thing. Since my last visit, I've been putting away £5 per month (or so) so I've got £40 in my budget, which should be plenty.

As always, the quiet weeks tend to be the expensive ones, as some unexpected and impromptu events happen. With this in mind, I'll aim to keep myself busy, hunker down and avoid any unnecessary spend.

Right, so, must get on with work. Toodle pip.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 14,812 Thanks
    Its Monday morning. Freezing, but clear blue skies. Even this morning at 6am!

My Saturday consisted mostly of work. I got peckish on the way home so I spent £4 in Aldi on a few things. I then got my food shopping in for the week on Sunday which came to roughly £20. Need to get diesel tonight too.

I made clotted cream fudge to be served at the family dinner on Sunday, which seemed to go down well. The rest of my Sunday was spent cleaning and just doing little bits and bobs.

My next 7 days are empty. Zero plans (aside from work and football, of course). I'm trying to fill these up, particularly the weekend as that's when I'm susceptible to unexpected spends.

Seriously not got much else to say. I'm content. Nothing majorly effecting my day to day life - which makes for a very boring diary, I know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

370Posts Today

3,495Users online

Martin's Twitter