Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,698Posts
    • 13,268Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 37
    • louby40
    • By louby40 29th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    louby40
    Speky

My YNAB is way out! I don’t know why. I’ve obviously done something wrong somewhere. I’m tempted to start again. I did it last November. The problem is you lose all your history and graphs. I’m tempted because it says I have far more money than I actually do.

I know what you mean about big spends Speky.

Hope your TV stand arrives and looks fab!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £730/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600 Car maintenance £0/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £300
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,415
    TOTAL DEBT = £109,098
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 30th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 28,793 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I know exactly what you mean about big spends Speky (I have my new windows to pay for next week). I try and comfort myself with the fact that I keep a far closer eye on money than I used to, and I plan my spending etc.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • CP2016
    • By CP2016 30th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    CP2016
    I also get the big spends after spending a few days in Bath with my family... dearie me, they might as well have just taken my purse and cleaned me out as soon as I got off the train. Good holiday though and it was budgeted for.

I get what you say about FIFA - we have our entertainment budgets and we spend them as we choose. I find that £/per hour almost any video game will come out as one of the cheapest ways to entertain ourselves. We meet up with friends in game anyway so it's not as if it's a solitary pursuit either.
    ďHave nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.Ē
    Wiliam Morris
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 2nd Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Louby - My YNAB was also way out this morning. I just manually adjust the budgets to reflect what it actually looks like, then no need to start again
    CCL - I couldn't agree more.
    CP - Yeah for me, as a casual gamer, when you look at £ per hour, it's well worth it for me.

Alas, the TV stand did not arrive. A mixup at the depot, so I've been promised next Saturday. I've waited since May for it, so what's an extra week? Couldn't be arsed complaining about it.

I didn't do too much else with my weekend, which was nice. Meals all planned and ingredients bought for the week ahead. Keen on keeping costs low as I disappear on holiday in 3 weeks for a cheap one to south of Spain - can't wait.

Anyway, must dash. Have a good week everyone.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    October Update
    Start of a new month signals an update on my yearly goals;

Career
    Goal: Achieve my bonus targets in work
    Update: Goal posts have changed and what I am going to focus on is changing, so my targets will change too. Need to schedule a catch up with my boss this month

Goal: Build a stronger network of clients
    Update: Very much on going. Iíve 2 events this month which Iíll see some of my clients so Iíll do my best then.

Goal: Attend at least 1 new training course
    Goal has been canned due to work requirements changing.

Relationships
    Goal: Spend more 1-2-1 time with my gran
    Update: Very much loving this. Continue to see her at least once a week and we have many Ďdate nightsí to just enjoy each otherís company

Goal: Visit my Dad at least 6 times - DONE
    Update: Iím on track to see him more than this actually. Can consider this done!

Goal: Organise social events with my cousins
    Update: We had a Come Dine With Me night a few weeks ago and weíve got another planned next month. Smashed it.

Goal: See my friends children more often
    Update: Funnily enough, itís their birthday today, so Iíll need to nip out and get them something. Theyíve got some family health problems which means they donít often have evenings free.

Self
    Goal: Start learning Spanish (again) - DONE

Goal: Live on a ketogenic diet
    Update: I go on holiday in 3 weeks so Iím super healthy just now. Although it may be hard to maintain, itís given me life lessons I wonít forget.

Goal: Buy a house/flat - DONE

Goal: Save an emergency fund of £1k
    Update: With so many outgoings including saving for events in the future, itís hard to put money away into savings. This will only get easier as time passed by and these events come and go.

Goal: Read 10 books (1 out of 10 so far)
    Update: I intend to go through 3 or 4 books on holiday, which will make up for the poor showing so far.

Goal: Eat out less
    Update: No plans for this month do anything like this, so savings to be made.

Only 2 months left in the year!! Where has the time gone. Determined to get a strong finish to the year and complete as much as possible.

Thanks to everyone for your support.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's Monday morning.

I had a pleasant weekend. Spending was average. I've found a pattern in that my big weekly shop at the weekend is never enough. I mean food wise it's fine, but for example I need to buy deodorant and I'm getting low on some of the things which last a few weeks like diluting juice etc. I suppose I should be more organised.

I need to visit Asda today to get money back from a something (long and boring story) so I'll buy some odds and ends then. So I shouldn't have to spend until next Sunday. We'll see.

Been to the gym this morning and I've 7-a-side football tonight.

Flat is spick and span. Even glossed my windowsills at the weekend.

I've decided I need to be more productive. Not sure how, but I'll think of something.

Have a nice week everyone!
    • louby40
    • By louby40 10th Oct 17, 9:11 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 3,066 Thanks
    louby40
    Speky I know what you mean about being more productive.

I have about 20 minutes of free time in a morning before I head out of the door. I try and make myself hoover, clean a bathroom or sort some washing out during that time but what I tend to actually do is make myself another brew and sit down with my iPad and look on Facebook, here etc etc

I’m rubbish! Lol
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £730/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600 Car maintenance £0/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £300
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,415
    TOTAL DEBT = £109,098
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hahaha, you and me both Louby!

Yesterday evening for example, I came home, put a washing on, made my dinner, shaved and by the time I'd done that it was 7.15. I had 45 mins before GBBO started but I mainly footered about (is that a Scottish word?)

Tonight, despite the best intentions, probably won't be much different. I've got 7-a-side, no doubt in the rain but aside from that, not much.

Very pleased with myself and my Christmas planning, only a few things to get for some kids and I'm waiting for Thorntons to do a deal, as they usually do. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Oct 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's Friday!

It's also date night with my gran which I look forward to every month. Not sure what's on the menu right enough.

Tomorrow I was meant to go to my brothers but he's double booked himself and he's dropped me, fair enough. So I can either opt for a quiet night in (save cash) or join many of my friends who are going out for one of their birthday (spending cash).

I think it'll be the former.

Right, neeeeeeed to get a coffee in my belly. Have nice weekend everyone.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    My weekends are slowly becoming the same each week. Relaxed and spent with family.

I kept costs down to a minimum by saying no to a night out with friends. Although done a big food shop which will hold me for the week.

Not much planned for the week ahead actually. Already looking forward to Saturday which is when I get a haircut and do a bit of shopping.

It looks like this storm is slowly creeping in. Dark skies over Glasgow already. As they say in Game of Thrones - winter is coming...
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I seemed to miss my 1 year anniversary of being debt free! Woohoo!

I'm now in the position of trying to grow my savings, but it's difficult with so many outgoings (bills).

Makes me wonder what on earth I done with my money when I lived at home!!! I don't want to say I wasted it because I had a whale of a time; eating out, nights out, holidays, clothes. All things I wish I could do just now. I'm telling myself to be patient, those days will come.

Whenever I meet the future Mrs SpekySquarehead, that might make a difference to my finances with bills etc being split, but at the same time, I'm an old fashioned romantic so I like to treat my other half wither that be a nice meal out or the occasional small surprise. So it may well balance out.

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about looking for a girlfriend. It's been nearly a year that I'm single now and I really enjoy it. I comfortable with my own company and any spare time I have it spent as I like. However I'll love the excited feeling of getting to know someone and I'm 27, so although i've plenty of time, I do feel a bit of social pressure. What happens, happens.

Anyway - I need another coffee. Toodle pip.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Oct 17, 9:16 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Quick one from me.

Should be nother NSD (not that I'm counting).

Pulled some ingredients from the freezer for my dinner tonight - a full Scottish breakfast.

Hoping for an early tonight.

Famous last words.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

6,410Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin