Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,735Posts
    • 13,598Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 36
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 31st Aug 17, 8:28 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Checked my coronation chicken recipe and all I need is an onion. I've still some other bits to buy so I'll nip to the big Asda around the corner.

I got paid yesterday and allocated my wage out for the month of September and I seem really quite tight so I'm going to have a serious look at my spends and try to cut back on avoidable costs. I'm spending far too much on groceries a guy living on his own.

Anyway, must get on with things. Toodle-pip.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 31st Aug 17, 8:54 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Like a bit of GBBO Speky - but not enjoying the ads so much...
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • jvr
    • By jvr 1st Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    jvr
    Plain scones all the way!! mmm

Starting point: £9000 needed to clear debt and pay for the holiday
    Now: £1900/£9000 paid......... £7100 to go!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 4th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning!

I had a lovely weekend.

My afternoon tea on Saturday went very well. My baking turned out just right and we all seemed to enjoy it. From there we went a family trip to Ikea and then to visit my brother and family. A great wee Saturday.

I had my usual Sunday family dinner as usual, which was super. Great fun spending it with the family again.

Opted to skip the gym this morning as I'm playing football tonight. I'll get back into it tomorrow morning. Sorted my meal plans for the week too and I don't need much, thankfully.

Hope everyone has a lovely week
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 4th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sounds like a lovely weekend Speky. Pleased you enjoyed it. I too had an Ik3a trip on Sunday, but definitely no baking for me.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Thanks CCL. How good is Ikea!?! I feel some of their stuff looks like it's obviously from Ikea but others look really posh/fancy/expensive despite the low price tag.

I attempted to make eggs benedict last night but my hallandaise sauce split so I had it without. In keeping with my challenge to keep food spends down this month, I've got a meal plan for the week and I intend to stick to it. It means I shouldn't have to visit the SM until Sunday in theory.

Going to give my windows a good clean tonight i recon. My goodness how I've changed haha.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 8th Sep 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Worked late last night at an event which went well. Home, something to eat, bed for 10.

Decided Iím going to fast today. I tend to fall off the wagon on a Friday and that bleeds into the rest of the weekend so if I fast today it should stand me in good stead for the weekend.

Iíve a haircut tonight from work but itís a contentious issue as itís quite expensive given itís a mans haircut and can be done for £5 at my local barber.

Proís
    Iíd consider my hairdresser a friend. Iíve been seeing her for years
    Sheís really good at her job and it always looks amazing once sheís done
    Because of the above, I love getting my haircut and look forward to it every time

Conís
    It costs me £30 + tip of some sort
    It costs me more at Xmas as I like to buy her something, although I appreciate thatís through choice

My friends and family gasp at what I pay for a haircut. Plus, I go usually every 4/5 weeks so itís over £300 over the course of the year. Itís an obvious area in which I could save money, thatís what I comes down to. But should I sacrifice something I enjoy so much?

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend if I donít manage to check back in.

Regards,

Jordan.
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 8th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Personally I'd stick with your current hairdresser - when I got with my bf he went to a highscale hairdressers (begins with t and ends in guy) and he paid £60! now that's an extravagance - I would say £30 is a good price if you know you're going to get a good haircut, and you like having it done. My bf pays about that now, and refuses to go to a barbers, as he hates that they try and give him a different hair cut every time, and he's very particular about how he wants it to look.

It's all relative isn't it - if it's important to you then you'll pay the money, where others will see it as an expense you could cut back.
    House Deposit:£11,300.71/£14,000 = 80.71% Money Made'17 August: £41.04July:
    £4.95
    June: £5.35 May:£30.30April: £51.09March:£28.25Feb: £120.47 Jan:£14.35
    Total Made '16:£284.60
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 8th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    That's a good point CB. For what it's worth I went to that same place your bf went to before, as I thought the experience must be totally amazing, but I left really disappointed.

Funnily enough, she text me to say that there was a fire in the shop and it's "f*cked". She's working from a sister-shop so I'll go there and see her. Feel terrible as she was the manager and treated it like her own baby.
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 8th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    He liked the hairdresser there that he went to - she was top tier so she was the most expensive, and she did a lovely job. But, when he realised exactly how much money that was he decided to downgrade slightly, and he doesn't regret it at all. He gets the same experience at the salon he goes to now, so it doesn't bother him.

What a shame about the fire - will it be sorted so it can be reopened?
    House Deposit:£11,300.71/£14,000 = 80.71% Money Made'17 August: £41.04July:
    £4.95
    June: £5.35 May:£30.30April: £51.09March:£28.25Feb: £120.47 Jan:£14.35
    Total Made '16:£284.60
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 8th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CB - I think so. She's put a post on instagram today to tell her customers and she said the builders are starting work today, so they can open ASAP. I'm sure I'll get the full low-down later.

I'm half way through my fast and I'm beginning to get quite hungry. I put this down to my lack of food yesterday. My mind keeps wandering to "just eat something small tonight". Diets are like marriages, if you cheat, it doesn't work.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Sep 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Working on Saturday which left me knackered. And to finish the job I went to the gym afterwards. From then I fancied a pint or 2 with my pals then home for Match of the Day but they had no intention of finishing at 10pm so I decided to sit in their company for a bit then headed home.

With all my family on holiday, I had to make my own Sunday dinner for the first time in years. I say make it - I defrosted soup. The rest of the day was spent doing odds and ends (housework) and food shopping. A lovely day actually.

Back into the swing of things now it's Monday morning. Been to the gym, football tonight and a friend swinging by to help hide some TV wires. Looking at my budget, I'm doing well in keeping food costs down. I was £18 for a weeks shopping and that's including larger items like deodorant, shower gel etc. Food would've been a lot less.

Anyhoo - must get on with it.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 11th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 3,174 Thanks
    louby40
    Well done on your low grocery spends......and making your Sunday (soup) lunch
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £670/£1000. Christmas savings £450/£600 Car maintenance £50/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £233
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,391
    TOTAL DEBT (with mortgage) = £109,024 (without mortgage) = £13,633
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thanks Louby

Not much to report this morning other than a sore arm from football/gym. My friend couldn't come last night so he's said tonight. By the time that's done, GBBO will be on! I've got chicken defrosting for tonights dinner. Feeling rather organised.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I don't have much to report.

On a financial front, I've been doing well to keep spends down. I'm meant to be doing something with my cousins on Saturday night so there may well be a cost then but we'll see what materialises.Keen to continue keeping costs down, feel like I'm getting a bit of momentum with it all.

I've started my Christmas list of who I am buying and what I'm getting them. Thank goodness I've been saving bits throughout the year as it's looking quite costsly. I'll see where I can make cuts but I feel bad. I love Christmas and giving gifts so I hate to make cuts. It's 3 months away so plenty time to plan ahead.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,913 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    My youngest has done his Christmas list already - I wish I was as organised as him, and as you. I haven't even started listing stuff yet, and it will sneak up rather quickly I reckon... I do save up all year though so there should be a bit of money to pay for it at least.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - I do enjoy feeling organised. So much so I've encouraged my brothers and their other halves to draw for secret santa already, to allow me to get organised.

My weekend was spent with family and didn't cost me too much, thankfully. Nothing terribly exciting to note.

Someone coming over today to set up a smart meter, so I've got my mum coming over while I'm in work.

Not much planned for the week ahead to be honest. We'll see if that says that way.

Have a good week.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I've got £77 still left in my budget for groceries this month, and given there's only 10 days left, I'm pleased to say that I've done what I set out to do and save cash in that department. I don't necessarily enjoy the challenge, although I do enjoy seeing the savings, so I'll try and keep it up.

When I went for a shower this morning at the gym and then put on my trousers, they seem much tighter that I remember. Either I've put on muscle in my legs or I've shrunk them in the wash - probably the later. So I'll browse at lunch today for a new pair on the cheap.

Not much else to report at the mo. Ticking along nicely.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning one and all,

Conscious that I've not posted in a while.

Learning lessons from Louby, I'll post this weeks spends at the end of the week. My cash spends are always out on YNAB which is frustrating.

Nothing big planned this week. Although the new FIFA comes out and I've been saving up for it. It'll cost about £40-£50 but my thinking is it'll save money in the long run and perhaps I'll not go out or spend elsewhere and opt for a night in. That's what I'll tell myself anyway.

The final piece of the puzzle, my TV stand, which I've been waiting 17 weeks for, is due to arrive on Saturday, thankfully with no cost. So my living room will finally look complete. Can't wait.

Aside from that, not much to report.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

I got paid yesterday and allocated out my wage for the month ahead and I'm looking ok actually.

I've a concern that if a big one of payment for something is needed then I'm in trouble but that's because I've got a few chunky bits of money flying around. I send £50 to my mate who's organising a stag do for next year, I also have a work trip to Berlin in January and I need to start saving for that too, that's another £50. There's £100 right away which under normal circumstances is something I can play with.

I actually couldn't sleep last night and I was thinking about my cash - something I've not done since I've became debt free. I really want to save for the smaller things. For example, if it's someones birthday in October, I still have to use Octobers wage to pay for it. I want to build up a solid foundation so that doesn't have to be the case. That, of course, only comes with being frugal for a prolonged time.

I also bought my first Xmas presents. Nothing perishable. I've made an excel spreadsheet to keep a track of my spending and make sure I come in under budget.

Tomorrow I have a TV stand arriving. One I paid for back in May but they didn't have any in stock so I'm looking forward to my living room looking more complete.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,834Posts Today

9,553Users online

Martin's Twitter