Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,550Posts
    • 12,047Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
Page 33
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Haha that made me LOL Speky. The future MrsSpekySquarehead.

Did nothing ever happen with that girl who was going to Europe or somewhere? The one you had a date with.
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    Well remembered. She'll still over in Spain and due back in September. I don't use Facebook much but my friend told me she seemed quite close with a guy over there, so I'm pushing it to the back of my mind. As long as she's happy I suppose.

'The One' is out there somewhere. I'll bide my time. I'm prepared to wait. But in the meantime, I'll be sure to make the most of and enjoy my independence.
    NSD (5/15)
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 5th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hi Speky. Great to hear you are loving living by yourself. Sometimes it sucks not having someone around, but at the same time does wonders for learning independence and life skills. I am 23 and have lived by myself since I was 20. Best thing I ever did. I love my mum dearly, and we got along pretty well, sometimes I miss being at home with her. But at the same time, it's great to be able to do whatever you like without having to answer to someone.
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $1925/$10,000
    Mini Cash Savings = $10/$100
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 5th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    That reminds me.. I thought I'd try a dating app to see how I got on! Let's just say it's put me off for life and I'll just hope that one day the waiting pays off.

That's sad about the Spain girl but at least you have an idea of the scenario and can sit back, play it cool and remain independent until the time is right!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hi Speky. Great to hear you are loving living by yourself. Sometimes it sucks not having someone around, but at the same time does wonders for learning independence and life skills. I am 23 and have lived by myself since I was 20. Best thing I ever did. I love my mum dearly, and we got along pretty well, sometimes I miss being at home with her. But at the same time, it's great to be able to do whatever you like without having to answer to someone.
    Originally posted by VelvetFreak
    Couldn't agree more.

That reminds me.. I thought I'd try a dating app to see how I got on! Let's just say it's put me off for life and I'll just hope that one day the waiting pays off.

That's sad about the Spain girl but at least you have an idea of the scenario and can sit back, play it cool and remain independent until the time is right!
    Originally posted by Chandelier.
    I've stayed clear of those. Seem like the potential for hassle so I'll be more traditional in my approach I think.

Yeah, it's one of those things. Can't do anything about it. I'm in no rush so I'll sit back and wait.
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's the first Thursday of the month which signals date night with my gran. I'll swing by the shops and grab her some flowers as a thank you for all that she does.

I normally leave around 9ish, so I recon I'll come home, watch an episode of Game of Thrones and then go to bed.

Although I've been fortunate to get some cash coming my way, I'm going to box clever on what I buy. It's too easy to get trigger happy with it. Oh how I've changed (in a good way).
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Jul 17, 8:42 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Yesterday evening, with it being the first Thursday of the month, meant dinner date with my gran. I brought her some flowers which she reluctantly accepted. She'd made the table and as expected, the soup was bubbling away. This followed by homemade haddock and chips. Topped off with some homemade eves pudding.

My gran was always a good baker. I would go to my grans straight from school when I was only 9 or 10, and she would have baked a chocolate cake on the monday and I'd have a slice each day. When I got a little bit older, I asked for the recipe so I could make it at home and I could have more of it. So from then I got the taste (pardon the pun) for baking.

Since my gran is adament on making me dinner, and not the other way about (she says the last thing I should be doing is cooking a meal after a hard days work) then I want to bake her an afternoon tea that we can enjoy one Saturday afternoon. To do that, I need to learn how to make scones, something I've never done before.

So last night, after dinner, we made scones together. I felt like I went back 20 years and we were baking chocolate cake again. It was lovely. Once baked, we lathered them with butter and sat and chatted for a couple of hours. The perfect evening.

Been up and at it this morning. Will probably opt for a chilled our evening on the couch, we'll see.
    NSD (5/15)
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 7th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 7,498 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    If you don't have it, then you need the Be Ro cookbook - you can usually pick it up at Morrisons for £2.99 but here's a link if not https://be-ro.co.uk/ Its a little book, if you don't know it, and full of basics like scones, batters, pastry, basic cakes and dumplings.
    My mum made sure we all had a copy when we left home for the first time and I've just purchased one for my son going off to uni later this year.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Ah Joey. Great to hear from you again.

Now that you mention it, I recognise it but don't own one and I think it's worth investing. I'll be keeping my eyes open Thank you
    NSD (5/15)
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 7th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    All round to Speky's for scones

The date night with your gran sounds great. She sounds like a sweet lady
    Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Chandelier - She's the kindest person I know!

She got a facial on Saturday and some of the cream got in her eye and she's been complaining of pain since. My mum took her to the hospital but they said they couldn't see anything and to go to the opticians if the problem persists.

I'm also now an Uncle for the first time.

My brother had a baby girl yesterday, 6lb 11oz. I'm not sure when I'll be going to visit, perhaps tonight or tomorrow. So excited!!!
    NSD (5/15)
    • louby40
    • By louby40 10th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 965 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    louby40
    Ah congratulations on being an Uncle. It's so lovely when a new baby arrives in the family!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £200/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 Aug £11,993
    Barclaycard £610
    Car loan £3666 Mortgage £96,981
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thanks Louby

Arranged to go see my niece on Thursday, can't wait.

Step-dads birthday today. Going to nip out and get him something at lunch and then visit tonight. I hope there's cake. Surely there's cake.
    NSD (5/15)
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 11th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Yay to Uncle Speky!!

Hope your grans eye is okay. Creams that get into wrong places are horrible. I once witnessed someone eat some body cream. Yak.
    Check out my Diary
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Chandelier- thank you for asking. Her eye is much better. A few eye baths later and it seems to have cleared up. Panic over.

I've arranged to see my new niece tomorrow after work which I'm looking forward to. Don't think it's fully set in actually. Need to get the thinking cap on as to what to get as a wee present.

Football tonight but before that, I need to do a bit of meal prep. Do a stock take and see where I'm at. I've been a bit all over the place this week. Still got stuff in the freezer to use, so that's priority.

Have a lovely day
    NSD (5/15)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 27,417 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Congratulations Uncle Speky!
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    You and your Gran seem to have such a lovely relationship. Congratulations on becoming an uncle. Is this the first one?
    NSD 12/14 Weightloss 1.5/48 July womble £79.10 2017 Wombling total £1079.32
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    You and your Gran seem to have such a lovely relationship. Congratulations on becoming an uncle. Is this the first one?
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    Hey, thanks for swinging by.

Yes, I suppose we do have a special relationship. I'm her only grandchild so she's always spoiled me. I blame her for my sweet tooth. After school she'd have cakes or sweets for me and there was always a dessert of some kind after dinner. If I stayed over, I even got supper!!! My other gran wasn't as caring. She was a true Glaswegian, rough around the edges and wasn't afraid to the crack the whip, so I gravitated towards my other gran.

Indeed it's the first time I'll be an Uncle. I'm an only child but my mum re-married and he had 2 kids from a previous marriage. That was 17 years ago and so they're now like proper brothers although we're all very different from each other. I don't think it's truly set in yet. Can't wait to meet her.

Anyway, tonight I think I'll make some soup and freeze it. I'll also try and use up some food I've got in the fridge and freezer before buying anything else. Don't have much planned for the weekend which should mean it'll be relatively cheap.
    NSD (5/15)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    A mixed weekend.

On Friday, my friend came over for a chilled out night in front of the TV.

Saturday, I ran some errands and then went to visit my new niece. Absolutely adorable. My sister-in-law is from South Korea so the mix is beautiful. Her parents are over just now to help with the new born and I fear that they might persuade her to go back to SK.

We then went for dinner and I was told my gran has had bad news from the doctor regarding a blockage in the main valve in her heart. Although it doesn't have a major effect just now, it's essentially a ticking time bomb - not good news at all.

Yesterday I took part in a new yoga class but it was a bit too fast paced for me, so I doubt I'll go back. Family dinner in the evening as usual which was first class.

Not got many plans for this week and it appears I am working on Saturday so it's a long one. Needs must I suppose.
    NSD (5/15)
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 17th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I am sorry to hear about your Gran. Is there any treatment she can have?
    NSD 12/14 Weightloss 1.5/48 July womble £79.10 2017 Wombling total £1079.32
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 12,047 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thanks TF.

Not that we know of yet. She's on a waiting list to see a cardiologist and the waiting list is 8 weeks. Hopefully they'll be able to offer an alternative. So she's now susceptible to a heart attack and with that in mind we're asking her to just watch what she does. She goes to an exercise class once a week at the local gym, she maintains a rather larger back garden and she's always dotting about the town centre. She'll hate losing her independence.
    NSD (5/15)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,401Posts Today

8,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin