Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    • 1,655Posts
    • 12,858Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's not a lot, but it's enough
    • 15th Mar 16, 9:12 AM
    It's not a lot, but it's enough 15th Mar 16 at 9:12 AM
    Good day to you all.

Can I start by saying I feel a bit embarrassed about starting this diary. Not because of my debt, but because in comparison to other peoples situation I seem to be in a better position to clear it. However Iíve been considering starting a diary like this for a while as I feel itís really been getting me down, like thereís a huge black cloud following me everywhere I go. I feel I think about money Ė or more specifically my debt - all day, every day, and hopefully having a place to come and post of my attempts to reduce it will help keep my chin up and motivate me.

A bit about me. Iím 25 and I live with my mum for now and I have a steady and comfortable paying job. I was in a relationship for 8 years and we had a joint savings account with a view to buy a place. When that relationship ended, I went off the rails. I blew my half of the savings while at the same time took out a credit card telling myself Iíll use it to increase my credit score by only using it to buy petrol and paying back at the end of every month. That didnít go to plan. I know have 2 credit cards (just recently paid off my third); Tesco Credit Card - £2,614.19 and Barclaycard - £693.88. Both of which are 0% interest for now.

The thing is, I know that my debt is manageable. Iím not spiralling out of control with interest. I donít have a mortgage. I donít have any kids. My expenditure is relatively low. I can and I will do this!

Although this is a Debt Free Diary, I have a view for this to become a Saving Diary once Iíve cleared these cards. I want to feel the way I felt 3 years ago with no debt and thus no worries. To be happy again.

My plan to clear this debt was originally to still try and maintain an element of my lifestyle that got me into this mess while being sensible. At the end of each month, any remaining money in my account would be transferred to my credit cards, this is already on top of my direct debits to meet the minimum repayments. However I found that this technique gave me too long a leash and I wasnít being tight enough. This month I actually have a stag do in Amsterdam (paid for by said credit cards) and with no savings, I had to use money from this months wages for spending money, leaving me skint for the remainder of the month, but goes to show that I can stow away a large chunk at the start of the month and force me to make the sacrifices. So thatís the plan, so put away a sizeable amount at the start of each month, the day I get paid.

Thank you for reading and appreciate the support.

Peace and Love!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Page 31
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 24th May 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Oh thank you all so much.

CP - I still find it a bit strange. My mum came to visit on Monday evening and I showed them to the door and waved goodbye. First time I've ever done that and it felt very very strange.

I love the independence. I feel like I'm in charge of my life now, not that I wasn't before, my mum was very good in that way were she wasn't too intrusive. I'm sure the feeling will wear off but I actually enjoy housekeeping!!

I didn't do too much last night admittedly. I feel l'm still trying to get back into a routine after the week off. Tonight I'll have an early night and up early for the gym.

I've still to wait and hear from my solicitors regarding a partial refund on the fee's I paid them. I'm pretty sure they won't chase me to organise it but they said they would and it gives me more ammunition for when I do speak with them. They sent me a generic feedback email with a link to a form and I let them know my displeasure again. I'll give it till the end of the week.

Speaking of the end of the week, it's payday tomorrow. Before I get too excited I need to hold off from any temping spends and allow all my new bills to come off; mortgage, factor fees, council tax, contents insurance, gas, electric, line rental, broadband and sky. Not to mention all my other DDs; car, insurance, tax, YNAB, contact lenses and the gym.

I don't get paid a fortune, I earn £25k, so as much as the above is affordable, it's not luxurious. It's this reason that I'm really applying pressure to organise my bonus structure in work, which if I hit, earns me an extra £3k which would make a huge difference (extra £200 per month).

I've got Fire Marshal training this morning, so wish me luck.
    • jvr
    • By jvr 24th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 324 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    jvr
    Congrats!! So lovely to see how far you have come from debt busting to saving to finally seeing all the hard work pay off
    10 month debt free challenge + trip to South Africa starting on the 21st of July 2017!

Starting point: £9000 needed to clear debt and pay for the holiday
    Now: £900£9000 paid......... £8100 to go!
    10%PAYED
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 24th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    You know something JVR, I noticed that myself actually. I started this diary in March 2016 when I felt at my lowest and in the space of 14 months a lot has changed.

Here's hoping the next 14 are just as productive.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 25th May 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Yesterday I sent away my council tax form thing which confirms I am a single occupant and get a little bit taken off, so I'll await to hear back. For YNAB purposes, I would prefer to pay it over 12 months instead of 10.

I've also got forms in from the DVLA to order a new license. I lost my old one and I think it was due to expire soon, so I'll need to get a picture taken too.

Last bit of housekeeping is that I received a letter from Northern Rail after I complained about our trip home after the stag do in March in which we had to sit on the floor as opposed to the reserved seats we had. They sent me a cheque for £13.00. It should've been £13.00 x 9 people!!

I've been to the gym this morning and i'll pop in again tonight. Having a really poor sleep in the new flat because I don't have blinds in my room yet. 5 - 10 working days they say.

Toodle-pip!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th May 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hey,

As I'd hoped I managed to go to the gym twice yesterday and feeling much better for it, even had a better sleep.

I heard rumours that a friend of a friend lived in my block of flats so I messaged him on facebook and right enough he does, the top floor. He invited me round last night I was in my bed for 10pm so another time.

Roasting here this morning. Went to the gym this morning and started sweating again as soon as I came out the shower - I hate that feeling. Plus the joys of having to wear a suit to work doesn't help on days like this.

I said I'd help my friend paint his fence tonight. He helped me paint my flat so I'd thought I'd return the favour. Apart from that, I've not much planned.

Should have a fairly quiet and spend free weekend too. Fingers crossed.

Have a lovely weekend all.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 26th May 17, 1:58 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Speky,

I've just caught up on your diary. How wonderful that you are now in your own home. It truly is amazing to see how far you've come in just over a year in regards to debt busting and saving for your own place.

Good to hear you had a alot of support in decorating and getting it ready. Have you decorated everywhere?

Hope you have a good weekend.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 26th May 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 7,556 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    You're sounding so settled already. And that's great that you have someone in the building that you know - someone to leave a spare key with too.
    Boiling here too today, lovely for sun lovers like me ....and lizards. Hope you have a great weekend.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 26th May 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Chandelier - Yes, I decided to repaint everything. I felt doing so would help make the flat feel mine. Still got things to buy before it's complete, but is a home ever complete?

Joey - My thoughts exactly!! My spare key is at my mums which is 10 minute drive away so it'd be good to have one closer by. Plus, my door automatically locks when it closes, so I'll imagine I might need it!!

I'm in 2 minds. HR has told us everyone can go at 3pm but at the same time in a private meeting, my boss explained we need to put lots of effort in the next 6 weeks. So everyone else has left to enjoy the sun but I'm staying and tidying up a few bits and bobs. I'm melting though!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 29th May 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Hope you had a super weekend.

On Friday, I ended up leaving work around 4.30, so half an hour early. I then went and helped my friend paint his fence and then our friend invited us over for a BBQ given the good weather. So I grabbed some beers from my flat and went over. A free night!!

Saturday was a bit more spendy. I had lunch with my friends 3 courses for £15. It's only £15 but I hadn't budgeted for 'going out food' but I moved some things about and it's all good. This was soon followed by an early night as I was working on the Sunday. Restrained myself from buying the boxing which would've been another £17.

Sunday I worked most of the day which has resulted in a sun burned face. Went to my mums for dinner and up the road for a bunch of ironing - the joys.

Not much planned for this week, thankfully. I'm hoping that June is a quiet month although there are a few birthdays.

Hope everyone enjoys their Bank Holiday.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 29th May 17, 9:29 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,595 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Have a good bank holiday in your new home Speky.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 30th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Despite it being a BH yesterday, I was required to work. I say work, it was fairly relaxed, but still.

I went to the gym twice, before and after work, so I came home and collapsed on the couch before heading for an early night.

This morning, I've been to the gym and on my 2nd coffee of the day. My friend is coming round tonight to put my TV onto the wall and hide the wires, so it'll look the part once he's done. My step-bro is coming round too to see the place for the first time too.

Bar that, not much to report
    • louby40
    • By louby40 30th May 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    louby40
    Speky you sound so happy in your new flat! You must be loving the independence and freedom!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £500/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 SEPT £11,493. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £442
    Car loan £3278 Mortgage £96,197
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 31st May 17, 8:42 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I had a fear that all this excitement would be a bit of an anti-climax or it would wear off after a couple of days - but I'm still loving it.

Previously with my parents, I would get up at 6 for the gym and literally tip toe around the house not to wake anyone else. Now, I get up earlier, put the news on the TV, make myself a coffee and get ready at my leisure. It's a silly little thing but I love it.

So yeah Louby, I do love the freedom, I really do. I just don't like the cost of living alone haha.

My friend came to put my TV on the wall but we didn't have the right bolts so he's coming tonight to finish it. I've been to the gym this morning so I'll need to make sure my diet is on point since I can't go again tonight.

I see some blue skies so hopefully that's a sign for the day ahead. Have a lovely day everyone
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 1st Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    It's the first Thursday of the month which signals date night for me and my gran. I had always promised to host as soon as I got my flat however she dug her heels in for various reasons, so I'll be going to hers straight from work. As long as I can have her over at another point this season.

My friend came over last night and fitted my TV to the wall, really happy with how it looks. To think a company was going to charge me £200 for it too!!! Another friend who works in a printing company came by with a HQ printed picture for me which will fit nicely in a frame I bought for the living room. Another couple of quid saved.

I've written out my meal plan for the next few days and I'll use up what I've got left in the fridge first. I am also about to bulk order meat from a local butcher will I'll freeze, should save me cash in the long rung.

Anyway, mustache. Happy June all.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 1st Jun 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    louby40
    It's so lovely doing your own thing isn't it! I too love my house, it just needs a bit of TLC on it now.
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £500/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600
    Kitchen July £12,493 SEPT £11,493. 12% paid off
    Barclaycard £442
    Car loan £3278 Mortgage £96,197
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 2nd Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Thank goodness it's Friday.

Yesterday after work was my dinner date with my gran, which as always was lovely. She had picked some flowers from her garden and put them in a small vase on the table - how cute. I should've taken some flowers over for her, I'll buy her a bunch for next time. I said I'd bake some scones and make some jam and have her over for afternoon tea one weekend.

We didn't leave the dinner table. Sat and chatted about houses and what they used to be like when she was younger. She spoke of the coal deliveries and how the only source of heating would be from the real fire in the living room. Her first home with my late grandad was a tiny little, 4 in a block, kind of place. Managed to find it on Rightmove and showed her what it looks like now which she enjoyed. She's the apple of my eye and always has such a caring and positive outlook which I hope to emulate. What a woman.

A Tim Hortons chain has opened up in Glasgow, the first in the UK. For those who don't know it, it's kind of like Kirspy Kreme (doughnuts and coffee) which is really big in Canada. So I'm going to swing by after work, purely for work purposes, of course. Then my mum is coming up tonight for a natter too.

I'm hosting the boys tomorrow who are all coming round for the Champions League final. I think there's about 9 in total. How they'll fit, I'm not sure. I've bought in some frozen pizzas and they'll bring they're on drinks I'm sure (I hope).

Anyway, must get back to work. Toodle.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 5th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

A nice weekend but it was a bit spendy. Service cost me £140 when I had only budgeted £80. Plus I was hosting a party for the Champions League final so that became a bit of a late one.

No plans for tonight. I've got a lot of sleep to catch up on, so I'll have a warm bath and then an early night.

I'll check back in tomorrow. Have a nice day
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Not too much to report this week;

- Blinds were eventually fitted to the tune of £220 but what a difference it makes
    - My ex text me to say congrats on the new flat. I'm suspicious. Haven't spoken to her since January.
    - Internet router arrived from Origin Broadband but doesn't seem to work. Phone call today to fix it.
    - Had an offer for an interview at a rival company, for nearly double my salary. However the company is no where near as secure or prestigious. I think I'm going to decline.

So that's it in a nutshell.

I'm playing football tomorrow so I need to buy goalkeeper gloves, probably cost me a £10-£15. Then it's my bosses wedding in the evening so I'm going to show face, stay in the good books.

Sunday will be a quiet one with hopefully low to no spend too.

Anyway, must get on. Have a nice weekend when it comes.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jun 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 28,595 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Enjoy your weekend Speky. Tomorrow sounds busy but fun.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 12,858 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Thank you CCL - I did have a nice weekend.

Saturday morning I played football, as a goalkeeper so as not to aggravate my calf. I then went to my bosses wedding in the evening which was lovely and he seemed to really appreciate me going. Only 2 went from the office so I'm glad I went - keeps me in the good books if nothing else.

My mum is in Spain for the weekend and she normally hosts Sunday dinner so I thought I'd step up to the plate and invited my gran and step-bro over which was nice. Might need a bit more communication next time though as we all brought dessert haha.

Busy week ahead with work but not much else planned to be honest so I'll keep the head down and spends even lower.

Happy Monday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin